Costume Keybind issues

Cutter

Not sure if I'm working with outdated source files, but...

I had an old character set up with a number of rolling costume change binds, triggered on a keypress. Today I created a new character and want to do the same thing, so I dusted off the old text files and gave it a shot. The result was my costume changing when I loaded the initial file, and then the specified key no longer working. /e sadface.

I'm wondering if there are bind pros out there who could take a look and advise on what might be going wrong with this? I know they worked on the old character, and the only change I have made is which key triggers the costume change & loads the next bind. And I have double checked the file path is accurate.

To start I loaded the first file up:

/bindloadfilesilent "D:\Gaming\City of Heroes\Binds and Macros\costume0.txt"

As mentioned, this had the immediate effect of changing my costume (I was in the first slot costume and it changed to the second slot). So that's a little weird right off the hop.

The remaining files are costume1.txt through costume5.txt. All of the files including costume0.txt look like identical to this, save for incrementing the next text file # and eventually circling back to load costume0.txt :

6 emote none$$cc 0$$pow_exec_slot 6$$bindloadfilesilent "D:\Gaming\City of Heroes\Binds and Macros\costume1.txt"

What I expected to happen is that I press 6, the power fires, and my guy changes to the next costume in sequence. Instead I got a costume change on bind load, and an inoperative 6 key.

Thanks in advance for any help in figuring this out!

@Cutter

So many alts, so little time...

I have waited the 15 seconds. The power in slot 6 is Rejuvenating Circuit. And I don't know why the emote part is in there - these were old binds that worked a year or so ago, and I don't remember / can't find where I got them from.

@Cutter

I have a few ideas, but rather than toss them out here for you to try, I'll try them out on Brainstorm tonight and report back if I can find a way that works.

• Like 1

That'd be cool.

Like I said, they did work at one point, with the only differences being changing the key in question (from 1 to 6). And I have no clue why this time around it's making my 6 key inoperative.

@Cutter

46 minutes ago, Cutter said:

I have waited the 15 seconds. The power in slot 6 is Rejuvenating Circuit. And I don't know why the emote part is in there - these were old binds that worked a year or so ago, and I don't remember / can't find where I got them from.

While I can't speak to the bind/those files previously working, why not try a new one that only switches costumes, with nothing else that may be getting in the way...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Did a little more playing around (thanks for the prompt @biostem ) and seem to have resolved the issue. If I had to guess, I would think it had to do with either the emote piece, or the spaces in the file path conflicting somehow with the need for "" around the whole bind instead of just the file path itself.

I renamed the folders to take out the spaces, dropped the emote piece, and ended up with this, which does exactly what I want it to:

6 "cc 0$$pow_exec_slot 6$$bindloadfilesilent D:\Gaming\COH\Binds\costume1.txt"

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

@Cutter

It likely was the spaces in the folder names. I got the original set of binds to work using:

6 "emote none$$cc 0$$pow_exec_slot 6$$bindloadfilesilent "D:\Gaming\City of Heroes\Binds and Macros\costume1.txt""

So the path name is wrapped in quotes (which is required if there are spaces in folders/filenames), and the entire string is wrapped in a second set of quotes. Not that you need it now, but I just wanted to post for posterity for anyone else that might come along.

I was going to suggest dropping the 'emote none' but looks like you were way ahead of me there. Relative path names work too, but since yours work fine there's no need, especially since you are well below the 255 character limit.

One other command that I found handy was /show_bind <key>. This let me see what was bound to the 6 key when it wasn't working as expected.

Glad you got it sorted out!

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, AboveTheChemist said:

It likely was the spaces in the folder names. I got the original set of binds to work using:

6 "emote none$$cc 0$$pow_exec_slot 6$$bindloadfilesilent "D:\Gaming\City of Heroes\Binds and Macros\costume1.txt""

So the path name is wrapped in quotes (which is required if there are spaces in folders/filenames), and the entire string is wrapped in a second set of quotes. Not that you need it now, but I just wanted to post for posterity for anyone else that might come along.

I thought of that, but wasn't sure if the game would handle nested quotes. In hindsight that would have been easier to try before I went and change the path names... Nice to see that does work!

@Cutter