Paragon University ((Open RP))

American Valor

11 hours ago, American Valor said:

“Tori, I very much enjoyed that as well. I would also like seeing you again.  If you ever need assistance with studies or work please call.

Tori looked over the card and smiled. "Thank you Daniel."

11 hours ago, American Valor said:

Daniel bows then picks up Tori’s backpack and passes it to her.

“I look forward to hearing from you and or seeing you soon or in the morning.”

Daniel smiles, then picks up his rugged looking well worn leather pack with the bamboo Biandang placing it over his shoulder. Daniel begings heading towards the Colosseum.

Tori takes her bag. “Thanks, and I will definitely do my best to make it in the morning.”

She smiles and waves and heads off toward the athletic complex.

Later: Athletic Complex, Student Weight Room

Tori let the weight gently clank back onto the bar after her last squat and grinned as she shook out her legs. The two guys who had doubted her stared, dumbfounded.

“I think that’s twenty bucks from each of you. I take Venmo if that is easier for you.” She stood, grinning at them. "I think your exact words were; "She won't even do one! I can do ten more if you'd like but I'm just afraid that will bruise your ego even further."

“You want to go double-or-nothing on the bench? Or maybe pushups or situps? I couldn't possibly be good at all that stuff, could I?”

“Uh…no…no!” One of them stuttered as they handed over her winnings, grumbling, then headed out.

RP on Everlast: 

Primary: Tenaxa (Victoria (Tori) Hanes-Sykes); at least 5 versions and counting

And pretty much any other character I play.

RP Forums: Paragon University thread

The Houston Library 

Max was still feeling tired from a long night of partying. He was glad that the university library was not too busy. This time of day most of the other students were still in lectures. The only other people currently around were a young couple using a quiet area of the library to make out, they were too busy to notice Max. Max whispered; 

"Their's an open study room over there."

Max pointed with his half drank coffee to the study room. He figured someone should use it.  At first they did not see him then they broke off their long kiss. Realizing they had been caught the blond hair girl simply giggled,

"sorry and thanks"

She whispered, and led her male friend by the hand to the empty study room and closed the door to continue.

Max wished that could have been him, but he was on the hunt to find the book he needed. Today Max was wearing a pair of wire frame glasses a black T-Shirt, blue jeans and retro converse, he looked like any other big guy. Once Max had found the books he took them to a corner table and sat down. Max sipped his coffee and opened the first book. The Confessions of a D-list Supervillan, The other two books were both on Parapsychology. It was going to be an unbelievable long day.  Max looked back to where the couple had disappeared to and wondered if she had a friend with a sigh he started reading...

When you wake up seek the courage and strength to do the right thing.
Decide that this will be another day in which you Walk The Talk.

American Valor Sentinel of Liberty

FBSA Home Page

The Statesmen's Colosseum NW First Floor office storage/maintance area aka: Tai Chi Yoga club

Daniel arrived only a few moments before Scruffy. Scruffy pulled out the biggest keyring ever and started going through them while he spoke:

"So professor you really plan on cleaning this place up like the memo said that I got?"

"Yes Scruffy and please call me Daniel."

"You got it professor. Lets see here are the keys. I brought over some buckets and cleaning supplies, There should be some old paint cans and other supplies if you really are going to spruce things up. Ya need anything else, got any questions?"

Daniel smiled then coughed a bit as Scruffy moved into the office area while he spoke.

"Yes is the old weight equipment still in here, as well as the floor mats?"

Scruffy turned on the lights it was a fairly larger area  weight equipment and mats were stacked along the wall with a small visible office area and finally near the locker/rest rooms was the first aid training room. There was dust everywhere but so far it was bug free.

"Yep looks like everything is here, So if you need anything Professor call the office. I'm gonna check make sure no problemoes fer ya." 

Scruffy smiled with a toothy grin walked into the locker rooms and started flushing toilets.

Daniel propped open the outside door and then taking a broom started sweeping...

Edited by American Valor
heading format

FBSA Home Page

Mike Bana climbed off the tram and wandered down the street in the dim light. It was getting late and most of the street lights in this area of King’s Row were burned out or damaged. His huge frame was slouched over and covered in a trench coat. A pair of Skulls were in the process of breaking into a car as he walked by. One turned with a knife and pointed at Mike, not realizing his mistake until he really measured the size of his target.

Mike shrugged off the trench coat and stood up, a dim greenish glow subtly emitting from his body. In his right hand was a massive club with a glowing head. He whipped it around like it was a twig and before the thug could react he was knocked up into the air, unconscious before he even landed. The other Skull fumbled for a revolver but Mike back-handed him with the club and sent him sliding down the street.

“I had a bad day, don’t mess with me.” He grumbled as he continued down the street.

Finally, he stopped at a run-down apartment building and went in. He looked at the elevator but the door was clearly broken and the elevator was dark. He slowly climbed up three floors worth of stairs and went to one of the doors. He took a deep breath before entering.

The dingy apartment smelled of smoke, dust, and mildew. A dim light flickered in the main room from the television. A figure sat on a beat-up recliner, discarded food boxes, empty beer cans, and an empty liquor bottle lay scattered around the chair. 

The figure spoke; “What the f#$k are you doing here?”

Mikes large frame seemed to almost shrink. “Uh, apartment building burned down. I gotta stay here for a few days.”

A string of curse words came from the shadowed chair. “Then you have to earn your keep, go to the liquor store and get me some booze and beer!”

“Dad, you know I’m not of legal age, and its not like I can get by on a fake ID.”

Another string of curses came from the figure who started to rise. He was large – not as large as Mike, but still large – and wearing a stained T-shirt and jeans, and his face hadn’t seen a razor for an extended time. His hand started to glow in a strange light as he growled; “Then you TAKE it!”

Mike shied away but the man (“Dad”) continued forward. As the hand touched Mike he tried to suppress the cry of pain as the energy coursed through his body.

“Still and damn wimp. You’re never gonna be nuthin!”

The man scoffed and sat back down in the recliner. “Get outta my sight.”

Mike retreated to one of the bedrooms, closing the door behind him. 
He moved over to the nightstand and reached behind it, pulling out a worn book; The Poems of Robert Frost.
Laying down on the bed that was far too small for his massive frame, he settled in to reading.

• Thumbs Up 1

RP on Everlast: 

Mike retreated to one of the bedrooms, closing the door behind him. 
He moved over to the nightstand and reached behind it, pulling out a worn book; The Poems of Robert Frost.
Laying down on the bed that was far too small for his massive frame, he settled in to reading.

And that's when thunder rolled.

The building shook and a burnt orange light flashed past Mike's room. The sound of open flame snapping in a heavy wind and a spike in temperature accompanied the clattering of rattled windows.

Robert Frost would have to wait for another day as Mike leapt to his feet, his mass almost breaking the bed-frame in his haste. He hurried to the window and looked down.

A large group of Freaks had gathered in the courtyard of the four tenement buildings, piled into a communal space that held a basketball court as well as rear alleyways and byways, most of which were separated by either wooden fences or publicly installed chain-link. The Freaks had all manner of chicanery in mind, nearby parked cars were already half-destroyed, buildings defaced, wooden and chain-link fences smashed, they were on a tear, one that if not derailed might well consume The Gish entirely. For the moment the Freaks had paused their mayhem and seemed to be staring up and beyond Mike's window at a strange orange glow. Mike craned his neck this way and that trying to get a look at the source of the glow, but the angle was all wrong.

"Boy!" That voice again, from the other room. "Boy, that better not be you making that racket!" The commotion outside immediately ceased to matter as the hair on the back of Mike's neck stood up. He turned to face the door to his room, hearing the lounger snap closed he raced to the door, his hand inches away before it flew open and Dad strode into the room, forcing Mike to take a step back.

"Boy, if I told you once!" The blow across Mike's face was familiar and predictable. He knew it was coming. He knew deep down that he may even have been able to stop it, but for some reason he couldn't bring himself to and instead felt his nose shatter under Dad's knuckles. "I told you a million times that you can't be making that... " Dad's eyes flicked to the glow of the window. He wandered over, looking down as Mike held his hand to his nose, feeling it reform, cartilage reshaping, bone knitting itself into place. Within seconds the damage was undone, but it didn't heal the new scar laid over the dozens of scars he had sustained at the hands of this man.

Mike blinked the tears away and looked over as Dad turned away from window. "What the fuck is this, boy?! Is this your doing?! Did you call them down on us!" He strode towards Mike as the boy backed away, towering over the monster who stalked him.

"That's quite enough, then!" Both the man and the boy froze at the sound of the declaration. "Ye've had yer fun an' made yer mischief, now it's time tae return tae where ye came from an' leave this neighbourhood quite well enough alone, do I make meself clear?"

The voice came from outside and it was loud, loud enough to rattle the windows again. Their squabble forgotten both Mike and Dad approached the window to peer down at the gathered Freaks outside. There must have been dozens, all packed into that little square between the four buildings. Lights flicked on in the apartments of the neighbouring buildings, followed by faces, also peering down at the courtyard and then up at the strange, burnt orange glow. As Mike's gaze scanned upwards along the windows of the building opposite his, he noticed eyes widening and fingers pointing as they could see the source of the glow.

"I am 5cuzz-8uck3t!" Cried an enormous Tank, centered within the crowd of Freaks. "This is OUR turf now and you won't take it from us, Burning Man!" and with that plunged his enormous, armoured hands down into the ground, hauling up an enormous chunk of concrete and hurled it towards the source of the glow. The rest of the Freaks roared in approval and opened fire with all manner of light arms. The Shockers took to the air and disappeared from view as they chased their quarry, that same burnt orange glow.

The chase was quick. Both Mike and Dad twisted their neck back and forth, trying to catch a glimpse of the source of the glow as Shocker after Shocker fell from the sky, scorched and burning, like ash falling from the burning boughs of a great tree. Occasionally bolts of flame or quick streams of fire would descend into the mass of Freaks gathered in the courtyard. An enormous ball of fire descended, the sound of it shredding the air before slamming into the ground consuming a crowd of Freaks who then staggered about trying to beat out the flames consuming them. Even with all of that, time after time Freaks would still clamber to their feet and resume their assault on their airborne adversary.

Mike had seen enough. He pushed away from the window and made for the exit to the apartment and hurtled down the stairs. The cacophony outside continued. The howling and laughter, the cries of pain, the explosions and the popping of open flame at velocity continued, though muted in the stairwell as the boy leaped down a flight at a time before hurtling out the side entrance of the building into the courtyard. Thus far unnoticed by the mob of Freaks still intent on their quarry, Mike shielded his eyes as he looked up.

There, above the square, surrounded by Freaks with patch-work jetpacks was a lone figure, an enormous sword in his hand and burning like a thousand stars he sent body after charred body hurtling to the earth with the gladius, while his other hand sent barrage after barrage of merciless fire into the crowd of Freaks below. Mike watched as The Man on Fire twisted and brought the Angelic sword down, slamming it into the air sending a wave of Hellfire into his attackers. More bodies plummeted, but not enough.

Mike shifted his vision to the Freaks still on the ground. He had not yet caught their attention. A group of four Freaks hunched behind a cluster of dumpsters firing at the threat above. Without thinking or considering the boy charged them, barreling through them and knocking aside the dumpsters, sending the punks flying. Mike snapped open the enormous club and without thinking hopped and spun in the air, catching an airborne gunner square in the chest sending him smashing into the brick siding of the nearest building. The young warrior landed lightly, twisting again, left foot behind right foot and continued his charge before leaping into the air and bringing his club down into the centre of the largest group of Freaks who had now turned to face the new threat, but too late.

The club slammed down on centre court, smashing the already torn pavement and sending the main body of Freaks into the air. Energy crackled about them as they sailed out from the epicenter of the blow, staggering even 5cuzz-8uck3t. There was a pause in the action and Mike had a moment to take in the carnage. The stench of burnt flesh and the moans and cries of the nearly dead and mostly immolated rang out, echoing off the buildings. The scream of sirens in the distance as emergency service vehicles hurtled towards the scene. It was more than Mike could take and yet... the young man recognized that in the face of great threat this was the only way it could or, perhaps should have played out. He looked up at the windows, now nearly all of which were backlit against faces pressed, staring down. His neighbours, many of whom he knew and had spoken to personally and cared about. Old men and women, children, mothers and fathers. His friends. His community, all gazing down at him with wonder and fear, but not fear of him, fear for him as the Freaks gathered themselves once more.

"You pip-squeak, I'll have you for my slave!" Roared the enormous tank as he charged. The ground shook with each step as eight hundred pounds of flesh and steel tore its way across the short distance of the destroyed basketball court. As large as Mike was, he was dwarfed by the immense Freak and time seemed to slow and visions flashed across the back of the new hero's eyes. Abandoned. Placed. Foster siblings. Punches and kicks. Names called. Never feeling welcome or safe, never feeling at home. Never feeling a sense of belonging or security. Blow after blow after blow. Broken bone after bruise after cut after cigarette burn after ligature mark.

And then there was a light. A burnt orange light shining in the night sky. An Angel on Fire, arms crossed, floating in the heavens, lighting up the courtyard. The faces of his neighbours, his friends all shining in the dark, staring down at him as he faced this monster charging him. This monster who threatened him and his home and his safety and the safety and well-being of those he cared about. Time dilated once more.

Something broke in Mike Bana in that moment as he stared down the threat. Not because it threatened him, he knew his regenerative ability would allow him to survive. It broke because he knew that if this threat wasn't stopped that people he knew and cared about would be endangered. His eyes flicked up once more to The Man on Fire and something caught in the back of the young warrior's mind as he made eye-contact and stared into the fires of Hell itself.

Paragon City's newest hero made his decision.

Mike shifted his stance slightly, dragging the club behind his right foot and as time resumed its normal flow he brought it up with everything he had, sending it square into the bottom of the cage holding the Freak Tank's head sending the villain into the sky. 5cuzz-8uck3t flipped backwards, end over end, sailing over the basketball net and landing in the street, his momentum tearing up the road as his slid to a stop against the fence opposite the tenement complex. The remaining Freaks in the courtyard were silent as they watched to see if their leader would rise, which he did but not without struggle.

"THIS! IS! MY! HOME!" Mike yelled. His voice echoed off the brick buildings and into the night sky. The ensuing silence broken only by the crackling pop of Hellfire from above, that burnt orange glow still illuminating the courtyard.

The sirens were louder now, the doppler effect giving them a strange reverberation as they approached.

5cuzz-8uck3t, now on his feet gave a short signal and the remaining villains moved off to follow him at a jog. They disappeared into the sewage canals nearby before the PCPD could arrive. They left their dead where they lay in charred, mangled and scorched heaps.

The young warrior looked around himself for what seemed to be the first time, taking in the destruction left in the wake of the battle. He then looked up at the faces in the windows, all of which had gone from fear to joy. The windows slammed open as cheers went up. Fists raised and arms waving as his family celebrated him, screaming their appreciation. So loud was the raucous adulation that the approaching sirens were drowned out. Having no real idea what to do with all this, Mike just waved and looked skyward again only to find the night sky. The Angel on Fire was gone.

He made his way back to the side entrance of his building, only to be met by Dad. The older man sneered. "I suppose you think this means that it makes up for-" Mike slammed his fist into "Dad's" nose, feeling a satisfying crunch, sending the old man staggering back.

"Never again, Dad." The young hero said. "Never again."

His room was as he left it, with one exception. On his nightstand was a simple, alabaster business card, pure as the driven snow. The words upon it were scorched and blackened, as though scribed in flame.

"The Legendary Living Hellfire

Guidance Councilor

Paragon City University, Steel Canyon"

Edited by Living_Hellfire

-The Legendary Living Hellfire

"The newest person in the room is always the most important person in the room"

The Houston Library 

Max called down stairs to the coffee shop. With an addtional encouragement Dave had carried up a bag of donuts holes with two more coffees.  Max was in the

middle of his rough draft when he saw the blonde exiting the study room. She saw Max then walked over to him with a sly smile. Max watched her walking

towards him forgot about the paper then took a drink. She saw the bag of open donuts, Picked up one and bit it.

"Mmm that was just what I needed."

Max couldn't help but grin he held out his cup with a stupid grin on his face. She grabbed the coffee took a draft then smiled back at him.

"Now thats good coffee. I'm April and you're the Bullet."

Max laughed for a minute, April joined in then took another donut.

"So what does it take to get invited to one of those "Bullet Bashs" aftergame parties?"

Max stopped laughing and raised an eyebrow.

"You gotta date or get invited by a player. Be a friend of someone invited and have legal id. Everyone is carded, All keys are turned in to party hostess.

The parties can be epic but if you dont follow the rules you're never invited back." 

Max let that sink in before he continued

"Listen April this is all fun and games I need to finish this paper. So I'll throw you an invite for a plus two aftergame next week vs Penn State. Party Info is sent out on gameday"

Max picked up the second coffee letting April finish the other and gave her the rest of the donuts. April blew Max a kiss as she headed down stairs. 

A few minutes later the guy exited the  study room in a panic. He walked quickly towards Max who just pointed to the stairwell with his coffee cup laughing as

the guy raced down the stairs.

Edited by American Valor

FBSA Home Page

She’d taken care of her parents’ cats and cleaned up a little bit around the house. She’d worked on her forms in the basement gym and gotten a good workout. After a shower she grabbed something to eat (might as well take advantage of mom and dad’s stocked kitchen!) and did some homework. As she finished up and put her laptop in her bag she saw the box that she had thrown in there earlier.

DNA Test kit. 

One of the cats meowed at her for attention. “Well hello Mr. Whiskers, do you need some attention?” She said as she gently scratched his back. “Maybe you can help me complete this DNA test and get it sent in?”

“Mrrrroooowww.” Was his response as he rubbed against her. “No, not you. They’ll think I’m a cat girl!” She responded and giggled.

A few minutes later she’d completed the steps and packaged it back up. “Well, maybe this’ll tell me who I’m related to, at least. I’ll leave mom and dad’s address on it; probably safer to make sure it gets back to me rather than at my apartment.”

She grabbed a pen and paper and wrote a note; 

Mom and Dad,
Took care of cats, I’ll stop by again if you aren’t home soon, just text. Hope you’re having a good time in Vegas.
Sparkles puked on the floor but I cleaned it up. I’m sure she’s mad that you’re gone. She wouldn’t even come out to say hello to me (but Mr. Whiskers did, he loves me!).

Let me know when you get back – I want to hear about the trip and maybe you can come in and have dinner with me?
(you know…buy me a good meal?) 😊

Love, Tori

With that done, she headed back to the tram and took the long ride back to campus.

RP on Everlast: 

Tai Chi Yoga Club @ PCU 

The day turned into evening as the cool breeze chilled the air this autumn night. The transformation from rundown office to a martial arts

exercise studio had begun. Daniel had removed his shirt and tie as he began to paint the entire area starting with work out floor. Now as

the paint dried, Daniel began clean the two different lockerroom and attached restrooms.  He had broken down the old weight equipment

into parts placing them in the middle of his office floor. Daniel planned on reassembling the equipment into a universal machine in his

office space, He had some addtional training gear he would shelf later. It was getting late and Daniel still had a few things left to complete.

He took a small break by slowly going through kata forms starting with Jeet Kune Do.

Edited by American Valor

FBSA Home Page

The Houston Libtary 

A few minutes later the guy exited the study room in a panic. He walked quickly towards Max who just pointed to the stairwell with his coffee cup laughing as the guy raced down the stairs.

A few moments later Max heard a loud crash then screams coming from downstairs. Max jumped to his feet an raced down the stairs.  What Max saw stopped him in his tracks their was the male student from earlier laying face up, eyes rolled back with purple lips not moving. Whoever he was now laided in a stack of paperback books under a toppled book cart.  Max took charge.

"Ms Binks, Call Nine One One. Hey you stop screaming and get some paper towels Now!"

Another student had taken out his cell and was taking pictures. Max moved the cart and pulled the student to be flat on the floor before starting no breathing CPR. Max continued.

"Hey make yourself useful, keep time,"

He looked at the cellphone guy.

"Where are those towels at? Is emergency on their way?"

Ms Binks hurried back from her desk with towels from the upset girl who appeared to be in shocked.

"Maxwell, Public Safety is almost here. I am going out to meet them and bring them in. You student please move that table out of the way Thank you."

Ms Binks hurried to the front of the Library waiting for Fire Rescue. Max continued with the CPR, When Max turned the unknown male onto his side to ensure the airway was clear he noticed several cut marks on the guys neck. Max rolled him back and returned to the CPR compressions till Fire Rescue arrived and took over. When the Cellphone guy stopped the clock Max had been doing CPR for 5 minutes.

Ms Binks took down everyones name on her notepad. The young woman was treated for shock while the cellphone guy spoke to campus police.

FBSA Home Page

It was getting late by the time Tori was back on campus, but she still had things to do. Heading over to the library she noticed some commotion. EMS was just leaving and there was a crowd milling about. Campus police seemed to be talking to a few people as well, but things seemed calm now. The crowd seemed to be just breaking up a bit as she approached.

“Hmmm, wonder what I missed?” She wondered aloud to herself.

She slipped in past the small crowd of students who were commenting and speculating on what went on.

“I heard Ms. Binks sucked the life out of someone for being too loud!”
“I swear I saw monsters sneaking away from the library. I think they were those Devouring Earth things.”
“No way, it was a fight over some girl!”
“Pretty sure it is a Nemesis plot.”
“There was a meta-human battle here, this is a government cover-up!”
“A stack of books attacked the guy! Really, I’m not kidding!”

Tori shook her head as she passed by. Nope, some things would never change. She could only imagine what the rumor mill would turn this into by tomorrow. Probably a full scale Rikti invasion of the library because it was actually a secret Vanguard base. Or maybe an attack by the mole-men? She chuckled softly to herself at the thought.

The middle of the main area was cordoned off and was a mess of scattered books, carts, and knocked over chairs. She grinned and leaned over to a student gawker. “I hear it was an attack by mole-men.”

She did silently hope that no one was seriously hurt. Still, she couldn’t help but have a little fun with it.

Feeling lazy she went over and hit the button for the elevator. Waiting for the endlessly slow, old equipment she leaned against the wall, watching the staff start to clean up the mess.

RP on Everlast: 

The Houston Libtary 

The middle of the main area was cordoned off and was a mess of scattered books, carts, and knocked over chairs. She grinned and leaned over to a student gawker. “I hear it was an attack by mole-men.”

" I dont think so, Check this:" 

He held up his cellphone screen displaying a video of a large person attempting to do CPR on a normal sized college studet. The guy was not responding to his efforts.

"I heard Ms Binks call the dude Maxwell. That guy just finished talking to the cops" he said never looking back to see who he had been speaking to.

She did silently hope that no one was seriously hurt. Still, she couldn’t help but have a little fun with it.

Feeling lazy she went over and hit the button for the elevator. Waiting for the endlessly slow, old equipment she leaned against the wall, watching the staff start to clean up the mess.

The Police officer interupted Ms Binks and whisperedd something to her. Ms Binks hand went to her mouth and covered her gasp. Before the staff had gotten started. Officer Kimber shook his hand in a stop motion then took out crime scene tape securing the area where the body had been.

The elevator door opened with a chime no one exited. Moments later the doors closed and it began moving again.

Upstairs Max was checking out the study room obviously looking for clues to what had happened when the elevator doors opened.

FBSA Home Page

21 hours ago, American Valor said:

" I dont think so, Check this:" 

He held up his cellphone screen displaying a video of a large person attempting to do CPR on a normal sized college studet. The guy was not responding to his efforts.

"I heard Ms Binks call the dude Maxwell. That guy just finished talking to the cops" he said never looking back to see who he had been speaking to.

Tori looked at the offered video. She’s seen the big guy before…she just couldn’t remember where…on the college social media maybe?

The Police officer interupted Ms Binks and whisperedd something to her. Ms Binks hand went to her mouth and covered her gasp. Before the staff had gotten started. Officer Kimber shook his hand in a stop motion then took out crime scene tape securing the area where the body had been.

Tori had seen enough crime scenes in her work and because her dad was a criminologist contractor for the Paragon PD. She knew some of the subtle clues – and some of the obvious ones.
This was now a crime scene investigation and it is possible the poor recipient of the CPR was dead.

The elevator door opened with a chime no one exited. Moments later the doors closed and it began moving again.

She stepped onto the elevator and hit the upper floor. Waiting and listening to musak as the elevator slowly climbed.

Upstairs Max was checking out the study room obviously looking for clues to what had happened when the elevator doors opened.

She stepped out, intent on finding the materials that she needed but did a double-take. In a nearby study area was the very same buff person who had been trying to save the victim. And he was definitely not studying…he was searching…looking for clues? 

Well, if man-meat maxwell was checking things out here, maybe she could take a peek as well. And maybe the police should know about this? Eh, she wasn’t going to tell on the guy.

She walked over and leaned against the doorframe. 

“So, what happened down there…or up here? Clearly not an invasion of the mole-men.”

RP on Everlast: 

Thunder rolled over Steel Canyon and a flaming comet slammed down in the alleyway between the residence building and the University Centre, just West of the quad. It ripped up the pavement before coming to an abrupt halt, the massive spike in temperature sending the dumpsters and bins hurtling through the air, only to crash against the concrete structures and back down, slanted, broken and akilter. The pressure wave slammed through the adjacent buildings setting off alarms and flow valves sending water surging through suppression systems that soaked every room, jolting students from their beds.

A three foot, blood-red demonling scampered around the corner of the University Centre and, completely unmindful of the open flames and leapt into the gap onto the chest of the figure laying unconscious in the wreckage. His existence depended on it, for if he failed in his task to rouse the man laying in this pit of Hellfire then they were doomed, both.

Screwtape beat his wings, breathing life into the fires around him as he stood on the chest of his Soul-Bound, bringing heat and rage. He spit down onto the body upon whose chest he stood, snarling in Infernal, a guttural language comprised mostly of snarls, snorts and growls mostly unpronounceable by the human tongue. His twisted his horned head slightly to take note of the sound of mortals gathering their belongings and scurrying about within the walls of the buildings nearby and snarled his disdain. Screwtape despised mortals.

He assessed the figure again. These weren't ordinary wounds caused by small arms fire, swords, knives, energy weapons or any other sort of conventional weaponry which would be imminently survivable. These wounds lasted. They scarred in a way he had never seen before and were different from the sort that Screwtape's Soul-Bound had survived in the past. Time and time again he had seen the abomination fall and rise again, like a phoenix. In fact, it had become so routine that it had become part of his name, how he was known by all mortals in this accursed realm. These wounds were different, they didn't just scar the body, they scarred the soul. If the little demonling didn't act quickly the damage would be permanent and they would both cease to exist entirely.

Screwtape leapt up and down on the abomination's chest, pumping its lungs, driving oxygen into the furnace that fueled it. He used a talon to open a vein in his own tiny forearm and dripped caustic blood down onto the open wounds that glowed through shredded armour. The clamor from the nearby buildings increased, the mortals were evacuating, the cowards. How he reviled them and their need for safety. The demonling sneered his disdain at the cowardice of mortals as he desperately tried to save his own existence. They knew nothing of what he or this thing in the crater had given them. What they had sacrificed for them. How he hated them, these weak, soft, pathetic things that knew nothing of pain or torture or agony. How he would love to show them the exquisite delights he had endured.

The imp bared his teeth and concentrated at the task at hand, jumping and landing on the abomination's chest, pumping its lungs as the Infernal blood did its work closing the wounds behind shredded armoured plates. As he leapt up and down, Screwtape turned his head to see the gathered resident students in the quad just as the students themselves noticed the disturbance in the alleyway. One young woman pointed and cried out, calling attention to the destruction, drawing the attention of the other students. Heads swiveled and mouths opened as they stood for a moment, gawping at what they were seeing. Bloody mortals.

With time running out Screwtape leapt off the chest of his Soul-Bound abomination and beat his wings once, twice, thrice and then landed as hard as he could down onto the chest of the dying figure in the flaming crater.

The explosion tore apart what was left of the courtyard behind the buildings. The already battered dumpsters and compost containers took flight and landed on the nearby highways surrounding the campus, their servitude finally completed as a column of unadulterated Hellfire erupted from the crater. Screwtape was blown backwards into the quad, tumbling over and over to land at the feet of the gathered students, almost all of whom were sodden, soaked by the suppression sprinkler systems triggered by the abomination's arrival in the first place. The little demonling gathered himself and snarled at his audience, and while none of them spoke Infernal they all received the message loud and clear before Screwtape vanished with a soft popping sound as the air around his corporeal form rush into to fill the vacuum left by his absence.

The Man in Black lounged on the specially made couch in his office down the hall from the storage area and just around the corner from the broom closet, his fedora over his face, the cigar smoldering slowly in the ashtray on the side-table nearby. Despite his injuries, most of which stubbornly refused to heal, he could hear the sound of four inch heels as they strode down the unused hallway. He sighed to himself and with no small effort rose to a sitting position, removing his hat and placing on the couch cushion beside him and did his best to face the door to his office, just in time to greet Constance Richards.

The Dean glared down at her subordinate, noting that he didn't stand at her arrival as she mockingly knocked on the doorframe, as though pretending to ask permission to enter before simply doing so.

"Howdy, Dean Richards, I beg yer pardon fer nae standin'. Y'see, I'm nae feelin' at me best at the moment." Said the man.

"Then why aren't you at home resting, Mr. McRae?"

"Well, I reckoned that there may be a youngster in need o'aid that I can provide from the comfort o'this wee sofa." he grinned. Constance Richards was neither impressed nor amused.

"Mr. McRae, I'll cut to the chase. Is there anything at all you can tell me about the disturbance last night that caused thousands of dollars of damage to this institution, not to mention the inconceivable psychological damage and trauma done to the residential students of this university?"

If silence was thick, this would be chowder.

The Man in Black cleared his throat as he shifted on the couch, belying the pain he felt.

"I'm afeared I dinnae catch yer meanin', Dean Richards. Was there a disturbance?" The Man in Black grinned and plucked the cigar from the ash-tray nearby, jamming it between his teeth. "Y'see, I was at home, as ye mentioned, catchin' up on me rest." He adjusted slightly. "Would ye care tae sit, Dean?"

Constance's shoulders dropped slightly and her tone softened as she cocked her head. "No, I would not. Do you not recall me saying I know who you are, Mr. McRae? Do you not recall the time I informed you that you would be under scrutiny?"

"Aye, I do."

"And do you recall what I said to you on that occasion?"

There's a brief silence as The Man in Black hauls on his cigar.

"Aye. Ye dressed me down fer interferin' with youngsters what may wish tae render aid tae the citizens of this city, an' should I do so ye'd shitcan me. Am I on the mark?"

Dean Richards shifted uncomfortably as she loomed over her subordinate. "Well, yes, that's what I said, but the general point was that any sort of misbehaviour or mischief would be deemed as a fireable offense. You're an educated man, you're hardly stupid or ignorant." She seemed to get her steam as she barreled ahead. "I think you understand very well what was meant by that conversation in the hallway and while I can't prove it, I think you had something to do with the absolute destruction of the alleyway just outside your office, the obliteration of university property in the form of those garbage receptacles as well as the terrorization of the students living in the dormitories nearby!" Her tone is strident by the end. "What do you have to say for yourself, Mr. McRae?!"

The Man in Black rose to his feet, but not without effort. His opaque shades concealing the angry fires behind them. Even at his full height he had to look up into the eyes of the Dean.

"May I call ye Constance?"

Constance nodded.

"If'n yer under the impression that I've nae the best intent fer the youngsters attendin' this college then I've several bridges fer sale. Havin' said that ye claim tae know me, who I am an' what I am an' yet ye've nae patience at all, nor've ye made any attempt at unnerstandin'. At this rate, if'n I were ye, I'd be less concerned about whether er nae ye should shit-can me an' more about whether or nae I'll be leavin' the employ o'this institution, an institution I've been keepin safe, secure an' well tidy since ye were in primary school, if'n I may be so bold."

The Man in Black took a breath, wincing at the wounds across his midsection before sitting down on the couch.

"I'm an old man, Dean Richards. I care about the youngsters o'this city. Ye may nae appreciate me methods, ye may nae care about how it gets done but it's quite facile tae make that judgment from yer fancy office at the other end o'this hall. Now, if'n ye dinnae mind I'd quite like tae take a wee nap."

The Man in Black lounged back on the couch as the click of four inch heels receded into the distance.

A tired looking woman steps from the car, the ride share app on her phone automatically giving the driver a generous tip before she's even fully out of the car. Still she manages a weary smile, "Thanks Joe. You didn't have to pull my equipment, I'd have gotten it." She automatically slings her laptop bag and a rather battered leather satchel over one shoulder and pops the handle up of the very large roller bag that was pulled from the trunk.

"Awe, common Meg. You're my best tipper, I got your back. Wish I couldda dropped your closer to your office. How long was your flight anyway? 8-9 hours?" Joe looks up the street at the evacuating people. He shades his eyes as if that will help him see farther or clearer. "But there's some sort of commotion. You know the rules." He gives Meg an unhappy look.

"More like 15 hours and yeah, I know. Can't drive anybody into an active scene." She reaches up and gives a wave. "Way things are going, I'll probably have to take another long flight next week."

Joe snorts a laugh as he slips back behind the wheel. "Swear, I'm the only driver that clears his schedule when volcanoes start popping off. See you around, Professor."

Several minutes later, Meg finds herself passing through a courtyard and half a building from her office. She's thinking about how she'll store and secure the equipment bag, and crash on the cot she keeps in her office. She's thinking about cataloging and sorting through the data in the morning when the concussive wave lifts her and slams her into the side of a building. She's not thinking about anything when the blast wave embeds a dumpster into the wall not even a foot from her.

Meg has no idea how long she's been out. She just knows that there's hellfire pouring into the sky and everything is eerily muffled. It takes her several trys to stand up and several attempts to gather her gear. She spends several minutes searching for her ballcap, while registering the muffled sounds of sirens. Once she's collected her gear Meg just stands there looking a little lost.

The sirens grow louder and closer and it finally occurs to Meg that maybe, just maybe, she should move away from whatever just happened or may still be happening. Autopilot gets her to her lab. Habit gets her gear stowed. Stubbornness gets her to her office. Exhaustion has her sprawled on her cot in a dead sleep.

Air currents and the changing pressure in the building cause Meg's office door to swing partially open. Neat lettering on the frosted glass proclaims her claim to this office and lab space.

Meg Coburn, PhD.
Professor of Geology and Volcanology.

• Thumbs Up 2

Midnight Thorn, Overlord of Ivory Tower.  (Everlasting)

(( WB LH and Welcome Saeletra ))

Tai Chi Yoga Club @ PCU 

It had been a very long night of cleaning and transformation in the old run down space. Even tho it lacked equipment and adorments it had the look and feel of a proper Kwoon. He smiled at his work the students would be happy to have a place to train. Daniel changed into his training uniform packing his worn leather rucksack and began the 10 mile run to his  Uncles shop in Chinatown.

A few minutes after he left 

Thunder rolled over Steel Canyon and a flaming comet slammed down in the alleyway between the residence building and the University Centre, just West of the quad.

FBSA Home Page

Written with American Valor

Houston Library

On 12/16/2022 at 6:55 PM, CheapTrick said:

She stepped out, intent on finding the materials that she needed but did a double-take. In a nearby study area was the very same buff person who had been trying to save the victim. And he was definitely not studying…he was searching…looking for clues? 

Well, if man-meat maxwell was checking things out here, maybe she could take a peek as well. And maybe the police should know about this? Eh, she wasn’t going to tell on the guy.

She walked over and leaned against the doorframe. 

“So, what happened down there…or up here? Clearly not an invasion of the mole-men.”

For a big guy Max moved not in the typical way that someone his size would move. His action betrayed him to anyone who knew fighting as did his grace of movement. Instead of standing to height and bearing mass Max had shrunk low coiled to strike, his left arm across his chest, right arm above it crossing to his left side both hands in claw fashion. He glared initially with steely blue eyes at Tori. Then in the next instance Max was standing looking harmless, as harmless as a 6'6" 245lbs guy can try to make himself look.

When Max fell into a fighting stance, Tori instinctively did the same, falling into a defensive stance, ready to move from the doorway. When Max relaxed, it took Tori a moment before she too took on a more relaxed stance. She breathed deeply to calm the minor adrenaline rush from the initially perceived threat.

"Aaa Um So what do you mean? Oh you mean with that sick..."

Max stopped talking a guilty sad look upon his face.

She quickly took in a full assessment of Max; tall, handsome, muscular, and he knew how to fight. That was not someone who just took weekend martial arts classes for a couple years.  Interesting, she thought to herself. More to this man-meat than meets the eye.  And she still had the nagging suspicion that she’d seen him somewhere before, but couldn’t place it.

“Sick? I saw the video; you were giving CPR to what appeared to be a young, healthy male. Sure, it can happen…but just not likely. No, the Paragon PD are treating that down there as a crime scene right now. And I’ve done enough snooping around in my few years to know snooping, and you are clearly snooping.”

Max spoke quietly:

"That guy was dead before I started the CPR. You some kinda hero Misszzzz?"

Max dragged out the sound fishing for a name while watching her. He picked up a ziplocked baggie that had a shiny small cylinder in it palming it casually into his pocket.

Tori nodded and looked at Max as he stashed whatever he had found.

“I’m mizzzzz Tori”

She grinned making fun of Max a bit. Then she thought for a moment and nodded to herself.

“Yeah, I am some kind of hero. Registered under the name “Tenaxa” if you are into such things like that.”

She walked into the room doing a quick sweep with her eyes, as her father had taught her. Tables, chairs, dry erase board, garbage… Wait… the garbage had stuff in it. Tori wandered over to sit casually on a table near the waste basket to give it a look.

“So what are you doing searching up here? And are you some kind of hero Misterrrrrrr?”

Holding the “r”, again, trying to poke a little fun at the big guy. Max couldn’t help but smile his award-winning smile and with a flip of his hair back, replied,

" Mr. Drake, Maxwell Drake."

Pausing for dramatic effect,

“Well hello Maxwell.” 

She smiled back, thinking again that she recognized that name as well as his smiling face. She just couldn’t place it… Oh wait, he was some big football star or something for the University. She didn’t follow football so didn’t know much about him.

"Um no, but Isn't that kinda latin Tenaxa, well sorta anyway.  I gotta grab my stuff, We should take this elsewhere, unless you're here to arrest me?"  

Max said seriously.

“Arrest you? No, I think I’ll let you off with a warning.” She says, grinning. “And yes, Tenaxa is sorta latin. A latin scholar would slap me, but tenax is tough or tenacious.”

She crouched and pulled a few papers out of the garbage. In a faux-male voice;

“Always check the garbage Tori, it is where all the good clues hide.”

“Sorry, that’s something my dad always said.”

She chuckled. Though most of it was actual garbage, one sheet she straightened out had a list of dates and times.

“Ok, this might be meaningful. So now that you have your little clue, and I have this, let’s ditch and maybe put our heads together on this?”

“Saw that did you. I had bagged it right before you popped in. So pizza, burgers, or cheesecake and coffee?”

Max actually laughed. While walking to grab his backpack and library books.

“Um…sure I have time for a coffee.” She said, not really quite sure what she was agreeing to. 

RP on Everlast: 

The crowd roared as the Obliteratrix slammed its chains down onto the arena floor, forcing Angziel to spring back and up, into the air. His only chance was to circle back around before the enormous Infernal could wrest his weapons from the salted sand and bring them to bear. The air screamed its objection as the abomination marked the coiling arch around the enemy. Standing over eight feet tall and weighing well over a thousand pounds, wielding twenty foot chains at the end of its wrists this Infernal, despite its size and girth was considered only a minor champion of The Pits, and it knew its business. With a flick of its wrist the behemoth yanked the chains loose and twisted at the hips to bring them around widdershins to meet his prey.

Down and around and through, time slowed as the abomination wove its way between the chains, sending blast after blast of Hellfire and destruction into his opponent. The crowd roared its approval as the Obliteratrix staggered, slamming against the wall of The Pit. The brief respite only emboldened the combatants. The giant Infernal pushed off the wall and snapped the chains back into position and glared at the tiny speck floating above the sands of the arena. The crowd quieted, waiting and expectant.

The Man in Black jolted awake, almost falling off the couch in the office down the hall, past the storage room and around the corner from the broom closet.

"How many times, Abomination?" Asked the little demonling. "You are weak, Angziel!" Infernal spit tends to singe and so it does as Screwtape barks his condemnation at his Soul-Bound, spackling the rug, the couch and the end-table holding the ash-tray in which a cigar burns slowly.

"Not now, Screwtape."

"Oh? Not now?! Then when, Angziel?" The demonling hops up on to the couch to assume the space now left by the man as he gets to his feet. "You have these dreams every night! Do you miss The Pit? Do you wish to return? You could, if you wanted to, you have The Key to the Room of Many Doors buried in your chest. Is that not what you desire, Abomination? If not, then why do you dream of it?"

The Man in Black plucks the cigar from the ashtray and jams it between his molars, picks up his fedora, dusts it off and plants it squarely on his head. Mindful of his injuries, still not entirely healed from his last battle, he makes for the door to his office.

Once in the hallway he straightens, smoothing down the front of his suit and squaring his shoulders.

The demonling followed him down the hall, taunting him all the way "Where are you going, Abomination? Do you think that the mortals of this plane want your help? Give up!"

The Man in Black passed the broom closet.

"They do not trust you, Angziel. They are fearful of you. You frighten them, they are simpering prey and they know that you could be their devourer, should you choose. You could dominate them, you could rule them and yet you insist on serving them. You are pathetic!"

The Man in Black passed the storage room.

"That's enough, Screwtape."

"You are soft and weak, Abomination. You are everything Father reviles, you are everything that mortals fear, you are alone and afraid and you will never know peace for as long as you refuse to rule these putrid creatures. You will see... you will see."

It was one of those days where one might have to remember what a cloud even looks like. The sun shone brightly down onto the snow carpeting the campus as The Man in Black strode into the light. Students passed back and forth as he made his way carefully across the quad seemingly without direction, but guided slowly without intent. He grinned as he watched these fresh-faced young adults hurrying their way to class, socializing, sharing ideas and opposing points of view. His heart glowed as he watched youngsters discover their personhood. He stood there a long time, in the centre of the quad, the blue smoke from his cigar forming a halo around the black fedora perched upon his head.  The Man in Black breathed and knew peace.

PCU library & The Green

They made their way downstairs and past the official active crime scene. Tori noticed how Max expertly avoided the area like it was old hat for him.

"If we get seperated lets meet up at the Cup and Saucer."

Max said as he stopped at self check-out scaning the books before continuing out front. He was trying not to loose Tori in the crowd that was watching and recording what they could with their phones.

Once again Tori noticed how Max managed to avoid being in most if not all footage. When he was clear Max almost bolted. As much as he wanted to jet out of there Max forced himself to walk slowly for Tori to keep or catch up to him. Max was making a beeline to the Cup and Saucer.

Edited by American Valor
formating fix

FBSA Home Page

Tori made her way down and was deftly working her way through the crowd but was surprised at how Max moved. As a huge guy, he managed to avoid people, obstructions, and even cameras. She considered using a few ninja tricks to get through, but decided against it.

About halfway through the crowd Tori realized she had not grabbed the materials she needed. She shrugged, they weren’t going anywhere and would be here tomorrow. She looked at the various obstructions between her and the exit and resisted the urge to simply vault over them. Instead, she worked her way through and to the exit. 

Once outside she jogged up to Max, following him to the Cup and Saucer.

“Geez man, your sport-ball training allow you to get through a crowd like that?” She said with a wry grin.

As they walked, she took out her phone and opened a browser. She typed in: Maxwell Drake

Let’s see what this guy is about, she thought, as multiple hits appeared; mostly lots of sports stories and social media. She'd have to look more in detail later.

RP on Everlast: 

Max walked with Tori across campus in quiet for a bit before he spoke:

"Its Football the Statesmen have the number 1 defense in the conference. We're working on being number 1 overall. I've been dodging crowds for years."

"So Tori how long you been a hero, I'm guessing you're not from around here. "

Max said with a head nod towards the ftont entrance of the Cup and Saucer. As they walked in Max held the door open for Tori and waved his hand to Saul,

FBSA Home Page

14 hours ago, American Valor said:

"Its Football the Statesmen have the number 1 defense in the conference. We're working on being number 1 overall. I've been dodging crowds for years."

"Sorry, not much of a fan. I just don't follow most sports. I spend my time following meta-human activities." She thinks for a moment. "Though...behavior, drama...yeah, not too different than big-time sports."

"So Tori how long you been a hero, I'm guessing you're not from around here. "

“Actually, I am from here…um, around. I spent the last almost ten years out in the ‘burbs.”

Formerly being fairly cocky, Tori’s tone changed a bit when she had to talk about her past. 

She quickly shakes off her thoughts of the past and perks back up.

“So how long I’ve been a hero? Officially or unofficially? I have to admit I was out doing work before I was of legal age. No license, no mentor, no connections, just me out there. It was dumb and irresponsible, but man I had fun. Still have a few permanent reminders of that time though. Finally got my hero ID a few years ago when I turned eighteen. For the last several years I’ve been spending the bulk of my time out in the field. My dad finally convinced me that there was more to life. So here I am.”

As they walked in Max held the door open for Tori and waved his hand to Saul,

Tori looked a little surprised when Max held the door for her, but shrugged and walked in.

She walked up to the counter. “Americano, might as well make it double.”

She looked for a spot to sit and nodded to a booth where they could probably talk about their findings reasonably privately.

Edited by CheapTrick

RP on Everlast: 

Cup and Saucer

Saul saw Max while he held the door open for Tori. Then he started making Max his normal double espresso frap. 

She walked up to the counter. “Americano, might as well make it double.” She looked for a spot to sit and nodded to a booth where they could probably talk about their findings reasonably privately

"You got it Ms, I'll get you your usual, Max"

Saul said.

"Plus a couple bear claws too,"

"You're the best Saul." 

Max nodded and simply grabbed the tray getting everything from Saul. A moment later joining Tori at the selected table. Max set down the tray then grabbed his drink and one of the Bear Claws.

" So before we start, listen everyone has a past Tori, if you wanta dip its cool. No hard feelings. Having a Hero Id is extremely important. Being seen or assocating with non registered could get you a talking too, or worse."

Max took a sip of his frap and a bite of his bear claw. It was obiviously a delaying tactic in case she decided to leave. The moment passed and then he continued speaking. 

"Their were alot of parents that moved to the burbs back then. It had become open season. See some tweens got themselves killed playing hero. Picked a fight with the wrong people. They had done amazing things for their age. They were a threat. The team believed they could handle anything. Their intel was bad, It didnt matter, they were betrayed in the end they were wrong." 

Max continued with a far away look in his eyes the cup gripped firmly.

"The tribunal thought differently. If I recall correctly the findings were gross negligence, irresponsible and careless leadership, Reckless endangerment resulting in the deaths of their teammates. The super group was deemed illegal was officially disbanded. Their leader made a Nolo Contendere plea deal. This did a few things but all that mattered to him was the others involved could walk."

Max finished the bear claw not making direct eye contact with Tori, then drank more coffee.

FBSA Home Page

8 hours ago, American Valor said:

"So before we start, listen everyone has a past Tori, if you wanta dip its cool. No hard feelings. Having a Hero Id is extremely important. Being seen or assocating with non registered could get you a talking too, or worse."

Max took a sip of his frap and a bite of his bear claw. It was obiviously a delaying tactic in case she decided to leave. The moment passed and then he continued speaking. 

Tori sipped her coffee and raised an eyebrow when he said he was an unregistered “hero”. 

While Max delayed, Tori gave a little nod. “I’ve done enough for this city and I have plenty of contacts and connections. Talking to you, or working with you, is not going to cause me any trouble. We’re good.”

She frowned when he started talking about the incident with his young super group. Then she realized that it probably happened when she was on her own, so didn’t originally know about it. But also realized that she had heard something about it.

“Shit, I thought my dad made that up to scare me. That was one of the tales he told me to scare me off of being a hero. That was you?”

She shook her head and looked at Max.

“I didn’t hear about it originally because…well…let’s just say I wasn’t seeing or reading much news at that time. Still, my dad used it as a cautionary tale. Though even he said it was wrong to put kids on trial like that.”

Tori leans back and sips on her coffee, thinking about what she had heard.

“Jeez, I’m sorry Max. Not sure what to say. So…you aren’t allowed to ever get an ID?”

She leans forward looking at Max. 

“Seriously, we’re good. Someone finds out we’re working on something just tell them I asked you for help and didn’t know your background. Technically true and believable based on my track record.”

RP on Everlast: 

Co-written with Saeletra

The Man in Black returned to the immediate, his gaze returning to his surroundings. The voices of youngsters, the grinding of freshly fallen snow beneath hurried steps, the sound of local traffic hissing along wet, cold pavement. He looked around to find himself standing near the street just South of the quad, local traffic of all sorts passing nearby, mainly vehicular and pedestrian as students rushed to and fro, they exited and entered, they passed by without even a glance. He looked down at his hands, past the blue smoke of his cigar to find them steaming in the sub-zero temperatures, the falling snow creating sparks against his bare flesh. He jammed his hands into his jacket pockets and made for the nearest door lest he call attention to himself.

A small, blood-red demonling held the door open and made hurrying motions to The Man in Black. As he passed through the threshold he glanced at the plaque on the wall near the stepped through the entrance.

"Earth Sciences, Screwtape?" He asked, as he waited just inside the doors, allowing the precipitation to vaporize. Fortunately they had come through a side entrance and not through the lobby of the building where the sudden increase in humidity would have not only been palpable but visibly noticeable by way of the cloud of steam produced. More fortunately indeed was the efficiency of the newly installed HVAC systems designed by Dr. Keyes that facilitated the immediate evacuation of said steam and the equalization of humidity.

"You know I can't read mortal gibberish, I have no idea where we are, Angziel."

"Have ye nae sense o'direction 'tall? After all this time?"

The Demonling shrugged and after a momentary silence ambled down the hallway and made a sharp left. The Man in Black followed.

The hallway was entirely empty, lined with frosted glass windows and doors upon which were etched the various names of the various people to whom the rooms belonged with the standard sort of doors that one might expect in a respected institution, yet institutionalized nonetheless. Dr. Jarvis Peterson, Professor of Anthropology. Dr. Sandra Carrington, Professor of Archeology. Dr. So-and-So of Such-and-Such and so on and so forth.

"Have ye sensed an open flame yet".

Screwtape shook his horned head and spat, the saliva splashed against the marble flooring leaving a smoking pit mark.

"Any heat sources 'tall?"

The little Demonling turned abruptly, his wings folded against his back, his tail lashing angrily. He held his hands out and looked up at The Man in Black. "If I had sensed a heat source I would have said something! Stop asking! I... wait a moment." He sniffed the air before scampering off down the hall, bounding his way, half airborne and half sprinting.

"Screwtape, wait! Wait ye wee, feckin' bastard!"

An attractive woman, appearing in her late 20's, sat at her desk in her office, she rubs at her eyes, nearly knocking off the battered, fitted, sun faded, blue ball cap perched on her head. A couple of taps brings the datasets she was looking for up on her laptop, a sip of something from a mug, and a few clicks later, she lets out a soft groan and stretches. Her movements are the slow movements of someone recovering from a bruising fall.

Despite her injuries, Meg is already in motion and on her feet as her office door erupts in splinters and a thing made of nightmares rolls through the threshold. Standing a mighty three feet tall, blood-red and angry as the nine hells it beat its wings and barked and snarled from a mouth filled with jagged fangs as it strode back and forth leaving deep scoring marks in the floor with its taloned feet.

The wooden bat, turned and lathed from the heart of an old maple tree, she keeps by her desk appears in her hands and she's already moving to swing on the sudden intruder in her office. Even if the intruder is short, howling, gibbering, snarling, and red. She checks her swing as a figure filled the doorway of the her office. A man in a flat-black suit with burnt orange pin-stripes, shirt and pocket square to match, a fedora upon his head, eyes inscrutable behind opaque, burnt orange shades. He took the burning cigar from his mouth. The temperature in the room seemed to spike as the man took a step into the office, his hands held up in a placating gesture.

Dark violet eyes flick between the man and the gibbering thing and she shifts to keep both figures in her sight line while leaving herself an escape route if needed.

"I beg yer pardon... " said The Man in Black as he took note of the name-plate on the woman's desk "... Professor Coburn, we've nae met an' I do humbly beg yer fergiveness fer the interruption."

While her attack remained checked Meg still planted her feet, ready to swing at either man or infernal.

"Who are you? Why is your, er, what is that? tearing up my floor? And why are you two bursting into my office as if Pompeii just erupted?" When she speaks, Meg projects a quiet confidence to her words and her voice, neither high pitched nor low, is a pleasure to listen to.

The Cup and Saucer

“Shit, I thought my dad made that up to scare me. That was one of the tales he told me to scare me off of being a hero. That was you?”

She shook her head and looked at Max.

Max smirked slightly and picked ip his left ankel showing a small locked slap band on it then put his foot back down.

"Lo-Jacked, my Uncle's idea." 

“Jeez, I’m sorry Max. Not sure what to say. So…you aren’t allowed to ever get an ID?”

She leans forward looking at Max. 

“Seriously, we’re good. Someone finds out we’re working on something just tell them I asked you for help and didn’t know your background. Technically true and believable based on my track record.

"We were to be examples of. I was turning thirteen, they considered treating me as an adult. their more to it. However I have a lawyer 'friend still' it was worked out. No hero Id so I dont arrest people. Thank you seriously, but if it looks like were going to or getting caught, clock me in the act. we both don't need to go to the Zig." 

Max said matter of factly then took out the small zip lock bag and placed it on the table in front of Tori. ((small silver charm w broken clasp in the shape of a 22LR casing))

"What did you find?"

Max said.

FBSA Home Page