Tank or Sentinel for damage?

Snarky

When you say raw damage, what do you mean?

Actual raw damage? Sent Fire Blast (69) > Tank Scorch (50.) Sent Flares (52) < Tank Fire Sword (75.) That's T1 vs T1 and T2 vs T2. Sent damres debuff will help some.

Or do you mean raw kill speed clearing everything? Sents cause scatter, like a bad fart. Tanks cause clumping, like kitty litter. Tanks win by a landslide on clear all kill speed.

My shield/nrg tank sits around 2:45 for pylon times. I don't see any nrg/* sents pulling that off, (my fire/bio sent doesn't come close,) but then again, NrgMelee buffs + tank overbuffing vs sents generally being a poorly designed bag of crap, fun or not, isn't a very fair comparison. (Why don't sents get shield again?)

Been running Mr. G's arc at max diff with my fire/bio sent. Several faceplants but got through carnies, Crimson Revenant and family. Slow going of course. The tank rolled through all that without issue while being safer, faster and vastly more efficient.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

When you say raw damage, what do you mean?

Actual raw damage? Sent Fire Blast (69) > Tank Scorch (50.) Sent Flares (52) < Tank Fire Sword (75.) That's T1 vs T1 and T2 vs T2. Sent damres debuff will help some.

Or do you mean raw kill speed clearing everything? Sents cause scatter, like a bad fart. Tanks cause clumping, like kitty litter. Tanks win by a landslide on clear all kill speed.

My shield/nrg tank sits around 2:45 for pylon times. I don't see any nrg/* sents pulling that off, (my fire/bio sent doesn't come close,) but then again, NrgMelee buffs + tank overbuffing vs sents generally being a poorly designed bag of crap, fun or not, isn't a very fair comparison. (Why don't sents get shield again?)

Been running Mr. G's arc at max diff with my fire/bio sent. Several faceplants but got through carnies, Crimson Revenant and family. Slow going of course. The tank rolled through all that without issue while being safer, faster and vastly more efficient.

I was talking about raw damage but this in depth analysis helps a lot.  Thanks.

So, even if i do not want to "main tank" rolling on a Tank will help a team way more than a Sentinel, due to the factors you state.  (*side note, I take taunt even on my Brutes.  Never did on live, but the game has evolved, we have more powers over the years, and Taunt rocks)

I am starting to lean into the idea of a Dark/Dark Tank for my Halloween Lich concept.  Personally, I think Dark armor is horrid for Tanking.  The non suppressing stealth is exactly opposite of what a "TANK" needs.  But it will work fine for "lazy Melee"

Edited by Snarky

Without -res all my tanks got around 4 minutes for pylons (3 minutes with). My best Sentinel got around 4 minutes (but others got much better times with melee moves). I'm purposefully not taking in consideration the Elec/Bio Sentinel since the Shocked mechanic skews things on a pylon test (fight lasts long enough for the Shocked mechanic to come into use with the pylon floored half way into the fight, also pylon is +0 which makes sapping easier) despite it having 3 minutes without -res procs involved.

Since 'raw damage output' only has the pylon as a metric this is what we have.

Actual gameplay tests will be hard to be stable thanks to runners. Tankers will keep things close until dead, Sentinels will have mobs running around and needing to be picking one by one. I would still put Tankers ahead IMO but it's 'gut feels'.

My best Trapdoor tests with Tankers were 6 minutes, but I've seen others achieve under 5 minutes with SS and/or Rad (both these skew things a bit but it's there so just make one).