Capes, auras oh my

cotesan

Regardless of whether the aim is to re-gate lock capes and auras or if it is for something new that you have not described what would be, the reasoning still stands. @Krimson has a point. And that point is what so many of us have been trying to explain to you over the course of this thread. 50s already get things low levels don't. They get incarnate powers for instance. PPPs and APPs instead of the more generic PPs for another. Gating costume and aura options for the sake of being able to say "Look! Your costume can be this cool when you are a 50 too!" is a decidedly elitist approach.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, Rudra said:

Regardless of whether the aim is to re-gate lock capes and auras or if it is for something new that you have not described what would be, the reasoning still stands. @Krimson has a point. And that point is what so many of us have been trying to explain to you over the course of this thread. 50s already get things low levels don't. They get incarnate powers for instance. PPPs and APPs instead of the more generic PPs for another. Gating costume and aura options for the sake of being able to say "Look! Your costume can be this cool when you are a 50 too!" is a decidedly elitist approach.

Your opinion is fine. Many feel differently. 

i would ask the mods to lock this topic, thank you for acknowledging my suggestion. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

On 11/2/2022 at 1:11 PM, Rudra said:

If a new character in a comic was supposed to wear a cape or have an aura? Then (s)he would make his/her debut with a cape and/or aura.

As a long time player since CoH's Beta, the capes/aura mishes we're something we looked forward to once they were released, but it's just cosmetic so I prefer to how they are unlocked from the start.

In reference to Ruda's point, imagine Spawn without K7-Leetha. The character would be fundamentally different without his cape. Same is true with Batman or Superman. Those capes are iconic.

Edited by SeraphimKensai

On 11/5/2022 at 8:12 AM, Naomi said:

Why do we even have to level up to begin with?

And that is the reason for AE AFK Door-sitting including reaching level 50 so you never have to log in to keep a name.

"Why do we even have to level up to begin with?" - the other "we" (not including me) don't have to level up. They are AFk while it happens.

On the other hand, we level up because that is what RPGs were originally based on. The move from miniature gaming to Chainmail to Dungeons and Dragons was the move from set figure values to characters that could improve themselves over time based on experience and away from an army or squad per player to a hero per player in a party of heroes. The move from battlefield combat to exploration of a fantasy world. And leveling was born hand-in-hand with the role-playing experience.

I know that this may be forgotten or simply unknown gamer history for some ....

And then there is the "ding" from leveling. if you really worked for it, that "ding" is an adrenaline moment for the player and not just the character (which I have to agree with others was an excellent empowerment of the "ding"). The player has achieved something and are rewarded for it. That is really what leveling is about from one standpoint. "I finally made it".

.... but this thread isn't about that, it's about rolling back the clock which the OP can do themselves if that is what they want to do ... without imposing their self-determined restrictions on others.

That statement isn't derailing anything. It's the truth.

If they want to gate lock their own costume progress, they are free to do so with imposing any of the changes that they want on others.

I've been noticing a lot of suggestions lately being derailed instead of being engaging. There's no need to tear down an idea you don't like in most instances (in a manner that involves name calling or forum vitriol), since we tend to read most suggestions pretty defensively anyway.

Frankly, I think they posted it just to cause an argument. The OP attacks other players for being "whiners" in their first post.

Throughout, they either imply or flat out say that other players are trolling while it seems pretty obvious to me that they are trolling others.

The OP derails their own thread from their initial post through subsequent posts attacking others that disagree with them.

At no point do they take a stand to prove that they aren't trolling as far as I know. Maybe they finally did after I put them on ignore. At this point, I don't really care.

I'm sure you may have noticed the new or unused accounts popping out of the woodwork that start these kind of threads or use them to harass or attack other players.

It's become pretty common at this point. 

I shouldn't let myself get baited what they are doing, but, hey, I don't think it is wrong to call them out when they start attacking other players from the get-go. I hear people get warnings about that kind of thing and their threads get shutdown (even when it is a reaction to other players targeting other groups).

I see this one is still up and running, and I wonder why.

This thread is about rolling back the clock on other players. The OP restrict their own costume choices as they level if they want, if that is what they want to do ... without imposing their self-determined restrictions on others.

That statement isn't derailing anything. It's the truth. Everything the OP is posting about they can self regulate without imposing their will on others.

If they want to gate lock their own costume progress, they are free to do so with imposing any of the changes that they want on others.

Am I derailing "telling other players how to play the game" by limiting their costume choices?

That is the premise of the original post.

They want to make others "earn" the costume parts instead of them being "spoon-fed" (which is obviously an attack statement against other players). What were their constructive posts?

I'm against Farming, but still farming goes on. Regardless of the fact that the DEVs said that they would nerf abuse of the AE with a 40-ton ban-hammer, the then deleted their own posts because of feedback from someone (NCSoft Corporate in South Korea?) AE Farming is one of the main reasons that I quit subscribing before he sunset.

I've learned to live with it here, but I don't participate in it or appreciate it ... especially the AFK farming/PL-ing.

And here were back again, to those AKF doorsitters leveling past everything the OP wants to force other players to adhere to because they took the harder path to actually play through content to level up.

No one should have to play a level 50 character in order to enjoy the game. I know I don't want to. I have plenty of fun playing lower levels

That aside, I do think there is wiggle room for cosmetic rewards.

I seem to recall ....

Our default stance on cosmetics though (costume parts and emotes) is that we don't like to gate-keep those in most instances because of what most of you basically said, which is that it's annoying to have to wait to complete a concept, especially when they're not account unlocks.

Thank you.

Edited by UltraAlt
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

10 hours ago, SeraphimKensai said:

As a long time player since CoH's Beta, the capes/aura mishes we're something we looked forward to once they were released, but it's just cosmetic so I prefer to how they are unlocked from the start.

Ehhhh... I could see "once they were introduced," which is what it sounds like you're saying, but even when I started playing (i3, so I missed the "one costume, no capes" issues,) it felt more like a "Have to do this to get through it" than "ooh, I can't wait!" to me. (Moreso since I started with the COH collector's edition... part of which included Prestige Power Slide (level 1) and the Cape of the Four Winds... which you couldn't use 'til 20 and finishing that mission. Which just made it even more annoying.) Same with auras at 30, which I often skipped.  Heck, you can throw store unlocks in there, too, which you got at 30. (Though when we had to earn "Entrusted with the secret," at least the science store unlock mission in bricks - which no longer unlocked anything at that time, IIRC - would grant that.)

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.