SR QOL poll

Dnyd

SR QOL update poll  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Please choose your starting SR power

• [Focused Fighting] toggle melee defense
    • [Focused Senses] toggle ranged defense
    • [Agile] Auto ranged defense

I believe the current choice order doesn't fit with a "born with powers" or "given powers through _____" options. 

"Given powers though lab accident Example: When Spiderman get his powers, he doesn't even try when he is fighting street thugs. But, the first time he fights another super powered individual, he has to focus to overcome the challenge.

"Worked for powers" Example: Batman trained for years to gain his skill starting as focus and gradually becoming more auto with common fights. 

If you can't convince others in a suggestion thread, make a poll! At least you were unbiased enough to keep the first 2 powers in the poll.

Edit: Counter argument to provided examples: The more you move, the more energy your body expends to make that movement possible. Regardless of how you got your super reflexes. Toggle powers are you moving out of the attack's path (so you actually get good defense out of your ability to evade), so it takes more energy/stamina out of you. Auto powers are you barely even shifting (so you barely get any defense out of your ability to evade), so it takes minimal (or no perceivable) energy/stamina out of you. Mechanically in the game, the higher DEF toggle will keep your character from being hit much more often than the low DEF auto power. And not getting hit is the name of the game with SR.

Edited by Rudra
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

My magic nipple makes attacks miss me.

My mutant power is exuded from my nipple, and it makes the air around me more dense so attacks don't land.

I have a technological nipple which emits a force field, blocking attacks.

I absorbed a fluid through my nipple and it hardened my skin so attacks don't hurt me.

I trained both of my nipples to reach out and push aside attacks.

Pretend harder.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

2 hours ago, Luminara said:

My mutant power is exuded from my nipple, and it makes the air around me more dense so attacks don't land.

I absorbed a fluid through my nipple and it hardened my skin so attacks don't hurt me.

Pretend harder.

Delight Nipples GIF - Delight Nipples Monty GIFs

• Haha 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

What this team needs is more Defenders

20 hours ago, Dnyd said:

I believe the current choice order doesn't fit with a "born with powers" or "given powers through _____" options. 

"Given powers though lab accident Example: When Spiderman get his powers, he doesn't even try when he is fighting street thugs. But, the first time he fights another super powered individual, he has to focus to overcome the challenge.

"Worked for powers" Example: Batman trained for years to gain his skill starting as focus and gradually becoming more auto with common fights. 

This is a game, not the comics.

I'm sorry, but your logic doesn't fit all manner of comic situations.

Superman was granted great powers under Earth's yellow sun, even demonstrating super strength and other powers as a baby.  But an Invulnerability character only starts with one power and must either be a weaker resistance to physical damage or the marginally better toggle power?  Why can my Superman wannabe not be completely invulnerable to everything by kryptonite or magic immediately??

Thor is the God of Thunder and an awesome warrior who's been around for thousands of years...  why must my own warrior god with a millennia of battle experience start out with only the skills of a level 1 crimefighter (or evildoer)???

Green Lantern had all the powers of his ring on day 1, only limited by his imagination and willpower.  Why can't my MacGuffin-based character have whatever power I choose to focus on first instead of just two of the three available to starting players?!?

Because it's a game and part of the level progression system is to teach you how to run before you fly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I feel the meaning of a quality of life change has been lost by alot of people.  QoL changes should rarely buff or nerf anything.  What one person considers a buff could very well be someone elses nerf.  Or in the case of the poll,  1 persons QoL change is 14 other peoples nerf.  My example for a QoL change would be adding a yellow circle around practiced brawler when its buff is expired so you are reminded to click it.  No one is made stronger or weaker,  you can monitor your buffs for the same information,  the yellow circle would be easier to see and allows you to monitor a buffs absence instead of its presence.

The devs have moved powers around before but there has always been a good reason for it.  Roleplay reasons for why powers should be moved probably wont outweigh gameplay reasons for why they should remain as is.  There is also the cottage recommendation but that applies less in this situation since no power is gained or lost,  just the available level changes.  Ultimately,  it would take a large amount of information backed by the numbers to have powers be considered for swapping and 'I believe' followed by two roleplay examples probably isnt enough to tip the scales.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/11/2022 at 7:05 PM, Luminara said:

Pretend harder.

Baby ...are you cold?

No!

ENGAGE NIPPLES OF DOOOOOOOOOM

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/69CKViM7D2PrG" width="480" height="264" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/blonde-babe-boob-bullets-69CKViM7D2PrG">via GIPHY</a></p>

Edited by JasperStone

/e poofgone

22 hours ago, Player2 said:

Because it's a game and part of the level progression system is to teach you how to run before you fly.

So much this!  It is usually the case that comic book characters start out with their full suite of powers, only gaining new ones through some major event.  A closer analog would be that your character *DOES* have all their power from level 1, but due to some trauma or perhaps exposure to Primal/Praetorian Earth, must start over from square one to relearn or unlock them.  There are many ways to rationalize the need to earn all your powers, but either way, if you're counting gameplay time as real time, then it only takes a few hours to get back to 50...

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, JasperStone said:

Baby ...are you cold?

No!

ENGAGE NIPPLES OF DOOOOOOOOOM

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/69CKViM7D2PrG" width="480" height="264" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/blonde-babe-boob-bullets-69CKViM7D2PrG">via GIPHY</a></p>

What are you going to do with those?  Pop balloons?  Lightly wound a housefly?

HighJollyFennecfox-max-1mb.gif.67a97f9199b224b1df2e66459be9d063.gif

16e.gif.d95add4d762fe7bff7b4b8970a12bc6a.gif

Go big or go home.

• Sad 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

5 hours ago, biostem said:

So much this!  It is usually the case that comic book characters start out with their full suite of powers, only gaining new ones through some major event.  A closer analog would be that your character *DOES* have all their power from level 1, but due to some trauma or perhaps exposure to Primal/Praetorian Earth, must start over from square one to relearn or unlock them.  There are many ways to rationalize the need to earn all your powers, but either way, if you're counting gameplay time as real time, then it only takes a few hours to get back to 50...

Or even character has their full power but must learn how to use it safely among the mortals without stomping all over them.  Marvel Comics' Thor used to routinely talk about holding back all the time against the mortal foes until they proved themselves threats worthy of his full power.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Rudra said:

Is it just me, or has this poll/thread gotten very... uhm... surreal?

Just another day on the forums.  This isnt the first time we have seen chest armaments.

If a thread makes it to page 2 without being locked then its been approved 😛

• Haha 1