Differentiate redside and blueside DFBs

Mjolnerd

Both the hero and villain Death from Below trials are fundamentally the same. One has Longbow trainers at the beginning of each section and the other has Arachnos, but apart from that they're identical. And that's... fine, I guess? But the enemy groups in the redside version don't really make a lot of sense. Not as much as they could, anyway. And making them specific to the Rogue Isles, but more than that just making them different from the blueside version, might entice a few more people over to that side of the servers. I also can't imagine this would be too terribly difficult or intensive of a change to make?

My suggestions:

Replace Hellions with Infected

Replace Vahzilok with Snakes

Replace Lost with Coralax

Replacing the Hydra Heads with something else is more of an undertaking, so I wouldn't worry about that. The other boss fights don't even need to change, really -- just scale up a normal unit from each of the new groups to AV status the same way the trial does now. Obviously rename the Cadaver Counter and The Cleanser badges (even more reason for people to cross over and participate!) but the way they're actually earned could be the same.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Formerly of Virtue, now on Excelsior:

Ace of Spades Adamant Eve | Arch-Rival The BeBlackbelt Citizen Arcane Core | Ctrl Alt Defeat | Daddy Longlegs Diamant Freak Accident Galactrix Great White Shark

Heavy Machinery Highway Star The Howl Inter-GalacticaIon Maiden Knockout Artist Krakatoa Night's Templar The Pact Paroled McDonald Virtual Boy Volcaniac White Widow Yucatan

And my most recent 50, Cyber-Security (Shield Defense/Street Justice tanker, 16 March 2024)

6 hours ago, Mjolnerd said:

Both the hero and villain Death from Below trials are fundamentally the same. One has Longbow trainers at the beginning of each section and the other has Arachnos, but apart from that they're identical. And that's... fine, I guess? But the enemy groups in the redside version don't really make a lot of sense. Not as much as they could, anyway. And making them specific to the Rogue Isles, but more than that just making them different from the blueside version, might entice a few more people over to that side of the servers. I also can't imagine this would be too terribly difficult or intensive of a change to make?

My suggestions:

Replace Hellions with Infected

Replace Vahzilok with Snakes

Replace Lost with Coralax

Replacing the Hydra Heads with something else is more of an undertaking, so I wouldn't worry about that. The other boss fights don't even need to change, really -- just scale up a normal unit from each of the new groups to AV status the same way the trial does now. Obviously rename the Cadaver Counter and The Cleanser badges (even more reason for people to cross over and participate!) but the way they're actually earned could be the same.

...um, you actually ever play Redside?

Because those are Redside enemies.  Just saying.

I would suggest any change to DFB (and Trials as a whole) would be better spent allowing members from opposite sides to join without having to go to Pocket D or a nuetral zone.  

21 minutes ago, Snarky said:

I would suggest any change to DFB (and Trials as a whole) would be better spent allowing members from opposite sides to join without having to go to Pocket D or a nuetral zone.  

Sending people to Pocket D's sewers?

Now that's evil.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

The beauty of the DFB trial is that the content is universal and also slightly changes by alignment.

This means that you can jump in the queue on red side and wait to be picked up, and you could find yourself on a team of heroes... but you'll still see things from your red side perspective with the trainers while the heroes will still see everything from their blue side perspective.  Of course, I don't know if this is relevant because of playstyle with people either feeling the need to fill a full team before they start or to lock their lower number team in so that they won't pick up other individuals in the queue... so they can start right away instead of letting the system look for other people who are looking to join.

I'm pretty sure that was a change implemented back on Live, but don't quote me on it.

Edit: As was posted further up this thread though, blue side DFBs tend to recruit until full or lock their groups prior to launch. Which affects red side's ability to just jump in.

Edited by Rudra
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Razor Cure said:

Hmm..I had no idea you could get into a Blue DFB from Redside! Is this a newish change? I remember mid last year (I think), and people were moaning about no Redside DFBs.

you can do it...in theory.  in practice you have better odds than winning the lottery.  but not a lot better

24 minutes ago, Snarky said:

you can do it...in theory.  in practice you have better odds than winning the lottery.  but not a lot better

Exactly.  Because people just want to recruit and go and not wait around for people that may or may not be looking to join by being picked up in the queue.  Early on when HC brought COH back, I joined a number of DFBs this way and because everyone was starting the game from level 1 there was a lot more DFB activity.  Now not as much.

I like the proposal in theory and think the flavor of opponent changes is good. Were separate badges given for Redside DFB defeats (mirroring current iteration) as proposed, that may be a sufficient carrot for some to promote running both. 

The Splintered Soul Project: (Nyght****) 21 and counting (18 max). 

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.