BRB - They could do this now, correct?

ChzBoi

Explain please...

Back in olden times, a request was made for the devs to make a big red ball - indestructible, yet could be moved by the player; either by powers or just by running into it.

At one point it was suggested to use the trams as 'goals' in Steel......no points or score keeping, just a big fun waste of time! Think - beach ball at a concert.

It was one of those things that a certain group of players continued to ask for, over and over.  Mostly to be funny I think, although it sounded like it could be fun, but I think it mostly confused the game devs as to why it was so popular a request.

Sure, but with stuff like the Sentinel AT and some of the patch note stuff (including GM Widower saying, before locking the thread because the conversation got away from the topic at hand and more towards the idea of whether playing as a child was inherently pedophilia and whether it's sexist to say that 'women have to have big boobs' and 'a woman with a flat chest is basically just a man', that they would consider extending the lower bounds of the Chest slider, at least on female characters, so that not every female superhero has D-cups or bigger), it's safe to say that the current team are more happy to make drastic changes than the old team were. It's a matter of context and information.

Does anything in my first reply to the thread imply that a)I want it to be done or b)I didn't think it would be work (granted I do think you're overestimating just how much work it would be)? Literally all I said was that the current devs are aware of the meme.

Does anything in my first reply to the thread imply that a)I want it to be done or b)I didn't think it would be work (granted I do think you're overestimating just how much work it would be)? Literally all I said was that the current devs are aware of the meme.

This is what you said:

Sure, but with stuff like the Sentinel AT and some of the patch note stuff [...] it's safe to say that the current team are more happy to make drastic changes than the old team were.

That is what I was responding to.

As for the amount of work it would take, the central conceit of the big red ball is that you attack it, and it goes flying off. There's nothing in the game that reacts to taking damage by getting knocked around, even if the attack has no knockback, so that code would have to be written and thoroughly tested. That, or they could give every single attack power a knockback aspect that only works when the power is used against a big red ball entity.

Sure, but with stuff like the Sentinel AT and some of the patch note stuff (including GM Widower saying, before locking the thread because the conversation got away from the topic at hand and more towards the idea of whether playing as a child was inherently pedophilia and whether it's sexist to say that 'women have to have big boobs' and 'a woman with a flat chest is basically just a man', that they would consider extending the lower bounds of the Chest slider, at least on female characters, so that not every female superhero has D-cups or bigger), it's safe to say that the current team are more happy to make drastic changes than the old team were. It's a matter of context and information.

Yes it is sexist to say ‘women have to have big boobs’. Also transphobic since some women don’t have boobs at all! :D

So thumbs up to the chest slider patch!

And as for the BRB, can we have one on Monster Island too? :D

MCM

A big red ball is not a drastic change, it's just a lot of work for no gain at all.

The gain is Fun and the Joy of building it, if someone wants to code it.

Not everything has to have some +/- in-game-powers-AT-based ROI.

I am sure if someone takes it on as a passion project, using the existing code, a smart person could find a reasonable way to implement.

It's just code, not splicing DNA in real-time on an infant.

Jeesh.

A big red ball is not a drastic change, it's just a lot of work for no gain at all.

I am sure if someone takes it on as a passion project, using the existing code, a smart person could find a reasonable way to implement.

Jeesh.

While personally, I'd rather Dev's work on new Story Arcs, new AT's, new Powersets, new Zones, and new foes than a BRB, it's not my sandbox, and I'm not their customer.  This is their passion project, not mine.

If they choose to invest in building it, I'll kick it around.  I'll be disappointed, but I'll still kick it around.

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

Jeesh.

While personally, I'd rather Dev's work on new Story Arcs, new AT's, new Powersets, new Zones, and new foes than a BRB, it's not my sandbox, and I'm not their customer.  This is their passion project, not mine.

If they choose to invest in building it, I'll kick it around.  I'll be disappointed, but I'll still kick it around.

As they are not being paid, and this is a hobby project for them, I think it's extremely presumptuous to pass judgement on what they do with their limited unpaid time. I think the Devs should do whatever they want. Now that the source code is released... if some independent developer wants to make the BRB on their own server, and they get it working and do ALL of the legwork.... I don't think it's too much to ask for the HC team to take code submission in consideration though... in fact, I think there should be a path for that.

I'm out.

As they are not being paid, and this is a hobby project for them, I think it's extremely presumptuous to pass judgement on what they do with their limited unpaid time. I think the Devs should do whatever they want. Now that the source code is released... if some independent developer wants to make the BRB on their own server, and they get it working and do ALL of the legwork.... I don't think it's too much to ask for the HC team to take code submission in consideration though... in fact, I think there should be a path for that.

PK, I agree with you 100%...That's why I said - it's their passion project...they can do whatever they want...

I am not their customer, they do not have to cater to me...They don't have to cater to any of us...

That being said - I don't think there is anyone here who has /jranger'ed someone else's idea, but with the disclaimer that the Dev's should do what they want.  We all express opinions on what we want to see, and where we want to see time spent.  One of the things I love about HC is how open they have been to listening to their community

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

Exactly, anyone can pick up the code and add the BRB, like any other change or addition.

If someone wants to add it into the game, how is this 'bad'?

Why would anyone be dissappointed?

How does this negatively impact _anyone_?

If HC wants to add that code into their codebase (or one of them adds it) how is this negative, in anyway?

Some people forget how to just have fun without expecting a return on thier investment, IMO, talking about 'wasting time' on creating more things in a video game that is built to help us waste time...

Exactly, anyone can pick up the code and add the BRB, like any other change or addition.

If someone wants to add it into the game, how is this 'bad'?

Why would anyone be dissappointed?

How does this negatively impact _anyone_?

If HC wants to add that code into their codebase (or one of them adds it) how is this negative, in anyway?

Some people forget how to just have fun without expecting a return on thier investment, IMO, talking about 'wasting time' on creating more things in a video game that is built to help us waste time...

You are tying three together that don't have to be connected...

As a human, we can feel conflicting emotions...I can be excited about getting a free steak dinner, find out the restaurant is out of steak, and I get free hamburger instead...Is getting free hamburger bad?  No.  Am I negatively impacted?  Not really.  Am I disappointed?  Yes

Again, that being said...Why do people ever say "No" to things then in this forum?  It seems hypocritical to say in this thread - let the dev's do what they want, but in a Damage Meter thread it's no no no you can't do that.

You are tying three together that don't have to be connected...

As a human, we can feel conflicting emotions...I can be excited about getting a free steak dinner, find out the restaurant is out of steak, and I get free hamburger instead...Is getting free hamburger bad?  No.  Am I negatively impacted?  Not really.  Am I disappointed?  Yes

Again, that being said...Why do people ever say "No" to things then in this forum?  It seems hypocritical to say in this thread - let the dev's do what they want, but in a Damage Meter thread it's no no no you can't do that.

Everything is connected in my worldview.

Whimsy is a valid reason to do things.

Creating Art, and in my mind this is where we are, is a passion project, not making burgers in a factory.

Gamer hyped expectations are the gamers fault, as are the negative emotions that follow.

I find the brain chemistry that makes a person unhappy because an artist produced art that is not to thier liking to be ... counter to my life outlook.

So sure, be dissapointed all you like with the things others do for fun if it makes you happy, I guess.

As for you jibe about the Damage Meter, where did I say it would be a waste of time or energy, or that is should not be built?

I was very specific.

My argument there was that this community would not enjoy it and would actively fight it and that it would have little meaning due to DPS not being 'the thing' that wins in CoH.

Personally, I would love some actual meters that worked so we could see how the numbers work in real-time, actually, but I know it would not be well received here.

I have watched numbers-oriented-practical-ROI-based-rules-lawyers ahoot down fun, whimsical ideas for years and years.

This game might allow a good dose of whismy in it's current state, so I think whimsical things are a great idea.

This persistant idea in the gamer world that adding something they don't like is somehow preventing the thing they want, causing them disappointment, is IMO, a false premise, and and old, tired argument.

It's always the same - if you add X, you could/should have spent time adding Y - and reality does not work that way.

Creating Art, and in my mind this is where we are, is a passion project, not making burgers in a factory.

Gamer hyped expectations are the gamers fault, as are the negative emotions that follow.

I hear you, and I stated earlier (twice now) that this is a passion project for the developers. 

The burger analogy was just expressing how someone can be given something that is not bad for them, and still be disappointed...And I think you know I wasn't saying that HC is a burger factory.

I find the brain chemistry that makes a person unhappy because an artist produced art that is not to thier liking to be ... counter to my life outlook.

So sure, be dissapointed all you like with the things others do for fun if it makes you happy, I guess.

So you've never been disappointed in art?  Never watched a movie that you were disappointed in?  Never a read a book that you didn't like?  Never invested in something that is classified as art, and found that the investment fell short of expectations?  I find that very hard to believe, but if it's true, that puts you in an extreme minority of people.  And if you are in that minority, just be aware when posting that you represent an extreme viewpoint.

As for you jibe about the Damage Meter, where did I say it would be a waste of time or energy, or that is should not be built?

I was very specific.

My argument there was that this community would not enjoy it and would actively fight it and that it would have little meaning due to DPS not being 'the thing' that wins in CoH.

Personally, I would love some actual meters that worked so we could see how the numbers work in real-time, actually, but I know it would not be well received here.

The quote was directed at anyone in particular, it was just the most recent example of many people saying NO to an idea.  And no where did anyone suggest that while they don't think it's a good idea, just let the Dev's be Dev's and do what they want?  Specifically, just from your quote above, you are assuming how people will respond to something that hypothetical the dev's might do.  All I am doing here is responding how I would actually feel.  Which is disappointed...But I would still kick the ball.

This persistant idea in the gamer world that adding something they don't like is somehow preventing the thing they want, causing them disappointment, is IMO, a false premise, and and old, tired argument.

It's always the same - if you add X, you could/should have spent time adding Y - and reality does not work that way.

Actually that is exactly how life works...It's called opportunity costs.  And every good programming team I have ever worked with in the last 20 years would tell you the same thing...If I do X, I can't do Y, so which do you want more?

Which brings me back to what I have said since my 2nd post here -

The Dev's can do what they want.  I am not their customer.  This is their passion project, not mine.  I play in their sandbox because a.) I want to, and b.) they let me.

Jubakumbi - I know you aren't trying to start something with me, and that we banter.  Please know that I am likewise not trying to start something.  I do feel singled out on this post by you and PK and I am unclear exactly why, since I have never said No or /Jranger or -1 to this idea.