Small suggestion

Crossie

2 hours ago, BrandX said:

Most over 70?  I'm not sure I think that's right.  😛

I'd guess the majority would fall somewhere between 40-50. Given the game came out just about 19 years ago, I figure the bulk of the player base was somewhere in their 20's when the game first came out.

That all said we don't really have a means of determining that short of a self respondent based survey but there's respondent bias that we can't really account for.

I don't care how old the player base is. The players can be in grade school or nursing homes. Who cares? That doesn't change how people behave when given the opportunity. (I know some very mature kids and very immature adults.) The community here is usually pretty laid back and helpful. However, given what I've seen of human nature, the OP is an excellent way to change that. Maybe not large scale, but noticeably. Everytime a thread like this pops up, I think back to CO which had this at the end of whatever they called their version of TFs. And it got quite toxic. To the point of characters getting booted from teams for not doing enough damage. Not a common occurrence, I admit, but it did happen depending on the team. (Usually, it was just braggarts going on about how good they are compared to the rest of the peons on their team.)

If the desire is to see how well a build stacks up to the creator's expectations for damage? That can already be evaluated just by playing the game and checking your combat log versus how long it looks like it takes for you to win. Are you killing mobs as fast as you thought you would? Yes? You're doing good. No? Maybe go back and tweak something. If it is someone else's expectations for some reason? Play with said person and ask how you are stacking up to their expectations. If you want to improve your build's efficiency/power compared to others? The forums give an excellent way for the community to look over the build and help improve it. There are too many variables in how any given build performs either solo or on a team for the OP to actually do anything useful.

Look, I'm fine with a blind data post giving you a standing if you want. I don't get it. I don't understand the desire for it, but sure. However, it should be an opt-in system and it should be devoid of character data other than your own. As in no other character is identified in the data, instead the page tells you the team's average damage and your average damage. A blind stat page like @biostem said.

• Thumbs Up 2

There's a recent documentary on World of Warcraft player culture, and how the near ubiquity of add-ons (like damage meters), fed into it and created a culture of toxicity.  It became  normal to treat World of Warcraft like a spreadsheet, instead of a game.  It's long (about a hour and a half), but it's well worth a watch for a look at MMOG player culture and for numerous examples of why this is just a terrible idea.

• Thanks 2

I'll admit, though, I'm now curious to see if anyone has an old copy of Herostats and if it works currently...

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

1 hour ago, Astralock said:

There's a recent documentary on World of Warcraft player culture, and how the near ubiquity of add-ons (like damage meters), fed into it and created a culture of toxicity.  It became  normal to treat World of Warcraft like a spreadsheet, instead of a game.  It's long (about a hour and a half), but it's well worth a watch for a look at MMOG player culture and for numerous examples of why this is just a terrible idea.

After watching that video? I've changed my mind. I'm no longer fine with a damage meter being added to the game in any capacity.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Astralock said:

An ex housemate used to play WoW and at the time I was playing a lot of CoH. We both encouraged the other to play 'our' game and watched over each others shoulders to get a flavour of the games. Ultimately it never happened. I could see something off about the structure of WoW play; the raiding format, the prescribed roles and actions, the gear grind. And in turn I don't think she could see the point of CoH, specifically because it has a lot less of that structure. Different games for different mindsets. Neither is of course objectively better, just better in the eyes of different people.

Boy am I glad I don't play WoW though. That video is a horror show...

• Thumbs Up 1

I love stats and on a personal level I would love to see your suggestion implemented.

But as everyone rightfully pointed out, making this sort of data widely available never fails to enable toxic behavior at scale.

If there ever was a good example of "this is why we can't have nice things", a DPS meter in cooperative games is the poster boy.

1 hour ago, nihilii said:

I love stats and on a personal level I would love to see your suggestion implemented.

But as everyone rightfully pointed out, making this sort of data widely available never fails to enable toxic behavior at scale.

If there ever was a good example of "this is why we can't have nice things", a DPS meter in cooperative games is the poster boy.

Ya after the feedback received, I agree the way I framed it originally would probably be a negative.  It would have to be blind sending the data without revealing who the teammates were.  It would also need to include other stats mentioned before with mitigating damage, self healing, heal others, damage done through debuffs etc.  I am all for all those things.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/2/2023 at 2:28 PM, Crossie said:

So I understand that this might be a reason to flame somebody but I really believe we have an incredibly mature player base.  Most of us are older than 70 years old so we can handle it!

I keep coming back to this thread because I have no idea where the OP got this number. If I had to guess most players are between 40 and 60 years of age. Above 70 years is just so off base my mind boggles.

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it just means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility.

Let's Go Crack a Planet.

I just thought if this but if you Right Click on any toon in game and then choose Info you can click on that persons Powers. In that folder it will give a short description of all that toons powers and what is slotted in those powers. Not exactly what you are looking for but close. 

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it just means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility.

Let's Go Crack a Planet.