Not sure what to pair with Illusion

Shocktacular

Best secondary for Illusion  

50 members have voted

1. 1. What do YOU think is the best secondary for a Dominator to pair with Illusion Control (multiple answers are allowed)?

• Dark Assault
    • Earth Assault
    • Electricity Assault
    • Energy Assault
    • Fiery Assault
    • Icy Assault
    • Martial Assault
    • Psionic Assault
    • Radioactive Assault
    • Savage Assault
    • Sonic Assault
    • Thorny Assault

So I've been looking around on the Dominator forum and I've seen that savage, dark, sonic, and energy seem to come up the most, but I thought I'd ask more generally:  What do YOU think works best with Illusion and why?  What are the advantages/disadvantages of various pairings?  I've added a poll from which you can pick multiple options, if you like.  I'd just like to get people's opinions to see what others have tried.

Edited by Shocktacular

Want more from Praetoria? Check out my level 40+ Praetoria missions in AE! I've got 3 complete arcs, with a 4th in the works!
Praetorians can get to AE in Pocket D by going through Studio 55.

I personally rolled Ill/Savage/Ice and it works wonders. You get Recharge from Savage which makes PA easier to Perma, and sleet debuffs mobs resistances making PA hit harder.

As I've said before, I considered Ill/sonic/ice for more -res as well.

Edited by SeraphimKensai

8 hours ago, SeraphimKensai said:

I personally rolled Ill/Savage/Ice and it works wonders. You get Recharge from Savage which makes PA easier to Perma, and sleet debuffs mobs resistances making PA hit harder.

As I've said before, I considered Ill/sonic/ice for more -res as well.

Alright Seraphimsensai...I just made an Illusion/Savage Dom named Under the Bed. Better be good or I'm comin for ya.

7 minutes ago, Senkan said:

Alright Seraphimsensai...I just made an Illusion/Savage Dom named Under the Bed. Better be good or I'm comin for ya.

You're welcome to try, although you won't need to if you give it decent slotting. Besides, I have quite a bit of real-life PvP experience, but I'm usually always up for an MMA sparring match.

22 hours ago, Shocktacular said:

What do YOU think works best with Illusion and why?

Sonic provides -res, which the phantom army can take care of, (since they are unaffected by buffs).  Savage provides additional recharge reduction and reduced end cost, which can help keep the PA up more often.  That being said, you also have to consider just how much of your time you intend to or are willing to be in melee range...

9 minutes ago, SeraphimKensai said:

You're welcome to try, although you won't need to if you give it decent slotting. Besides, I have quite a bit of real-life PvP experience, but I'm usually always up for an MMA sparring match.

My first thought was Ill/Earth for more control but savage should get the job done.

BTW I have zero real life PVP experience. It's a benefit of being 6'5" 270. I'm usually the one breaking up the fights.

1 minute ago, Senkan said:

My first thought was Ill/Earth for more control but savage should get the job done.

BTW I have zero real life PVP experience. It's a benefit of being 6'5" 270. I'm usually the one breaking up the fights.

/Earth is alright but doesn't necessarily have a significant synergy with illusion. You can proc slot Force Feedback in multiple powers.

6'5" and 270 is pretty big but I'm down to spar if need be. Let me know if you're coming for me.

Ill/Savage just feels so good together, especially if you take the TP pool and throw in some macros for TP’ing straight back 30 feet and then Savage Leaping right back for max damage.  All that zipping about the battlefield is frenetic and fun and the PA’s just create these “mirror images” of you to confuse and confound the chaos even more.  Very fun set, very Nightcrawler-esque as a TP’ing melee character with your illusions being added DPS but primarily distractions to the enemy.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Monterey Jack Cheese, you can never go wrong pairing that with anything.

I'd go Psionic for a theme of a mind ripper kind of character.

Edited by High_Beam

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

I ended up going with /savage for this particular character, but I'd still like to hear more opinions (because apparently my brain has to "make ALL teh alts!!!" or something).

Edited by Shocktacular

Want more from Praetoria? Check out my level 40+ Praetoria missions in AE! I've got 3 complete arcs, with a 4th in the works!

• 2 weeks later

I just created an Illusion/Energy Dom yesterday and got him up to the mid-20s. I wanted to have a "light" theme, and I thought the energy blasts and colorful pom-poms went well with that. Seems to have pretty decent ranged and melee damage so far. This is the first Dom i've enjoyed playing, (I only have one other Dom (Mind/Psi) that I got to 50 and then shelved). 

I do have to say I think the Dom version of Illusion is more control-y than the Controller version. It really did make a difference to get rid of the crappy group invis power and replace it with a useful AoE stun - now I don't feel bad not taking Flash. 

Global: @Renatos

Main Defenders on Everlasting:

Liza Frost - Lv.50 Cold/Ice; Tara Sonara - Lv.50 Nature/Sonic; Voice of Gaia - Lv.50 Sonic/Sonic; Tenebrous Tide - Lv.50 Dark/Water; Elloria Neutrina - Lv.50 Empathy/Radiation;

Hailblast - Lv.50 Storm/Storm; Elektra Cross - Lv.50 Electric/Electric; Agent Sureshot - Lv.50 Trick Arrow/Electric; Agent Blayze - Lv.46 Thermal/Fire; Twilight Servant - Lv.42 Time/Dark; Commander Trax - Lv.29 Traps/Beam Rifle

• 2 weeks later
On 4/5/2023 at 6:22 AM, Renatos1023 said:

I just created an Illusion/Energy Dom yesterday and got him up to the mid-20s. I wanted to have a "light" theme, and I thought the energy blasts and colorful pom-poms went well with that. Seems to have pretty decent ranged and melee damage so far. This is the first Dom i've enjoyed playing, (I only have one other Dom (Mind/Psi) that I got to 50 and then shelved). 

I do have to say I think the Dom version of Illusion is more control-y than the Controller version. It really did make a difference to get rid of the crappy group invis power and replace it with a useful AoE stun - now I don't feel bad not taking Flash. 

Cool. You only have 1 single target confuse though, unlike most Dom primaries which come with a group one. But you do get 3 pets for 5 total AND Superior Invis (which I've always loved), so can't really complain! Electric Assault also gets the earliest sniper attack at 20 (most others are 28), so that might be worth considering as a secondary (plus another pet and some great melee/aoe powers).

Game over man, game over!

I originally went ill/sav/ice back when Ill first came to doms. Quite fun, pretty strong feeling. Feral charge never gets old. Call Hawk hits super hard.

I'd be very tempted to go ill/thorn/ice now that redraw is fixed. Dom ATO can go in impale and barrage is an easy source for Achilles-res. Ripper can take the pbaoe -res proc.  Impale gives you the immob that can really benefit PA sometimes without needing to take the low damage one from illusion. 

More single target focused that ill/sav, but potentially very high damage.

Current rankings:

1) Savage

2) Dark or Psionic (tie)

3) Sonic or Energy (tie)

4) Thorny

5) Earth, Electric, Fiery, Icy, or Martial (5-way tie!)

Radiation has no votes, so I didn't list it.  
It seems to me like radiation would be a thematically good pairing for a light-based character who wields electromagnetic radiation of many frequencies, creating illusions with visible-range frequencies and using higher frequencies (x-rays and gamma rays) to irradiate foes.  I guess the mechanics don't work too well, though.  Anyone have any thoughts on this pairing?

• 1 month later

illusion martial is a fun combo - making one now in fact.

-> get spring attack! with jump kick you've actually a reasonable single target melee chain too, as well as the free aim cone kick and aoe.

-> trick shot it up constantly and its quick

-> epic: rain of fire, fireball - and the armor or the rez (havent decided, rez is up every 5m base and on dom recharge thats a handy thing to have and isnt another toggle to run... but ill prolly take the armor)

-> the obligitary kick, tough, weave

-> im skipping caltrops, spectral wall (shuriken throw is 0.5s faster and doesnt take 9s to do the same damage), flash. and deceive