Storm Chasing: how are you building so far?

ThaOGDreamWeaver

57 minutes ago, Doomguide2005 said:

As @Captain Fabulousstated no you don't need any in either power.

I'll preface the next statement by saying it's been a bit so it's not as fresh in my mind but some of your powers will in fact be turned from kb to kd when use on a target in Storm Cell.  Hopefully someone will correct me and or add to that statement as needed.

40 minutes ago, Bellicose said:

Well, I was pretty sure that's how Jet Stream worked; but, after running a handful of ITFs this week I had noticed a trend. It was either me or a teammate. I suspect the latter.

Jet Stream on a target outside of a Storm Cell gets a short repel. Inside a Storm Cell it's automatically converted to knockdown. The lightning procs in Storm Cell and Cat 5 do knockdown, but standard KD rules apply, i.e. if they're a lower level than you or a group that's susceptible to KB (e.g. Clockwork) that KD is gonna be KB. This isn't an issue with Storm Blast, it's just the way KD/KB works in the game.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Captain Fabulous said:

Jet Stream on a target outside of a Storm Cell gets a short repel. Inside a Storm Cell it's automatically converted to knockdown. The lightning procs in Storm Cell and Cat 5 do knockdown, but standard KD rules apply, i.e. if they're a lower level than you or a group that's susceptible to KB (e.g. Clockwork) that KD is gonna be KB. This isn't an issue with Storm Blast, it's just the way KD/KB works in the game.

Well, there were Cimerorans, so not susceptible, and they were certainly higher level than me. Again, I suspect it was just a string of teammates using KB powers.

Second question: I know that Storm Cell doesn't really have an effect 'in a vacuum' so to speak. However, Cat 5 does have an independent damage effect like other rain powers which mobs try to run out of. That's not my imagination, right? While the little 1s or 2s are ticking above their heads the mobs run out of the area of effect? 

On 7/21/2023 at 5:45 PM, Bellicose said:

Well, there were Cimerorans, so not susceptible, and they were certainly higher level than me. Again, I suspect it was just a string of teammates using KB powers.

Second question: I know that Storm Cell doesn't really have an effect 'in a vacuum' so to speak. However, Cat 5 does have an independent damage effect like other rain powers which mobs try to run out of. That's not my imagination, right? While the little 1s or 2s are ticking above their heads the mobs run out of the area of effect? 

Storm Cell applies a small speed and tohit debuff even if you don't attack. Cat 5 doesn't have a fear component so critters won't try and run out of it, but they will aggro and move towards you because you're doing damage to them.

2 hours ago, Captain Fabulous said:

Storm Cell applies a small speed and tohit debuff even if you don't attack. Cat 5 doesn't have a fear component so critters won't try and run out of it, but they will aggro and move towards you because you're doing damage to them.

Because I've been noticing this scattering effect, I've been thinking of swapping out an attack for for Mu Mastery's Electrifying Fences. On one hand, the damage on Electrifying Fences is low compared to any of the attacks I swap out for it AND, it won't potentially trigger Storm Cell or Cat 5; on the other hand, the AoE on Storm Blast does seem pretty meager anyways and it might actually increase my overall damage in any given encounter.

Thoughts?

• 1 month later
On 7/22/2023 at 9:22 PM, Bellicose said:

Because I've been noticing this scattering effect, I've been thinking of swapping out an attack for for Mu Mastery's Electrifying Fences. On one hand, the damage on Electrifying Fences is low compared to any of the attacks I swap out for it AND, it won't potentially trigger Storm Cell or Cat 5; on the other hand, the AoE on Storm Blast does seem pretty meager anyways and it might actually increase my overall damage in any given encounter.

Thoughts?

The speed debuff on it's own is literally almost nothing, it needs the high winds for any effect, but even then the overall slow that is offered is not really ever enough on its own. The scatter is just again the dumb ai scatter when there are lots of dot or damage numbers on an enemy, and just them trying to get to you in general.

Problem here, is storm is easily the worst blast set for trying to get enemies to stay in a tight group. Using jet stream to try to push them into storm cell sure, but its a wide area and most any other aoes, even normal 15ft radius ones, are not going to hit most of the mob. While chain lightning (and scramble minds which makes no sense since it chains target to target, not spread out), has it's use here, which I wish they'd fix the proc coding as it won't proc hardly at all (scramble too which again is really dumb, shoulda just stayed a normal chain so it'd at least proc on the first target which chain should honestly too, and should still take ranged sets, this is where the proc coding fails when its a chain "aoe" versus, standard chain which goes target to target) any normal aoes are going to have a much harder time hitting targets. And I believe electrifying fences only has a 10ft radius, so that's going to be even worse.

With storm, it just has crappy aoe plain and simple until they fix chain lightning and storm cell. And problem is, when you use other powers that aren't storm blast, your aoe output from storm blast goes even lower (compared to other normal sets with normal aoes who get the full damage effect when the power is used, ie not the weird proc tied to storm cell mechanic, as otherwise, it does zero damage when you're not using your storm powers.)

Chain needing about half it's current recharge and end costs for reasons explained on the page before this one, and storm cell needing fixed via all attacks having 100% proc rate and a proper bump on its base accuracy. Cat 5 needs this too and a shorter lockout, though the damage can be lowered to match the new lockout time. (it's a nuke, i'd rather see the total mayhem of more lightning strikes when it's used even if each proc deals less, but this fix would lead to less wasted procs ie like a proc over-killing a minnion with 2% hp left, overall damage would be the same)

On 8/25/2023 at 1:41 PM, WindDemon21 said:

With storm, it just has crappy aoe plain and simple until they fix chain lightning and storm cell.

Storm cell's a little more pathetic than I care for in terms of damage output, but thinking the set as a whole's aoe output is bad is simply not correct. 

False incarnate 2.0.mbd I welcome any doubters to try it.

Storm Blast has good AOE. Very good AOE from what I've experienced. You just do single target attacks with storm cell and/or C5 active and many of the others get hit from the added lightning. There is a lot of it if you just spam the snipe 

I have found an ideal pairing to be poison on a defender. They weakenesses of each set is covered well by the other. Storm Blast does a lot of knockdown, giving some safety for poison to be in melee. Being in melee, the storm cell follows you around (though it does lag behind, at least it will go into the next mob, which it won't do if you stay at range).

What I would like to know, is do damage IOs in C5 increase the bosus lighting damage or just the basic damage?