Storm Chasing: how are you building so far?

ThaOGDreamWeaver

Against 2 minnions just now, storm cell hit them once, for 8 damage at level 23 where jet stream did about 22 for the same damage slotting.

Like I said, the lockout really should just be removed altogether, but even that with the 100% proc rate would about put it in line with rain powers since it also only hits 5 targets.

Even on a big mob testing now I was getting about 2 strikes per attack used, which is really bad, figure out its a little more than a rain per target, but that logic ONLY works if it has more value when the mobs are smaller like a couple of bosses left, but due to the lockouts it's not even really better then. The power is really just screwed 5 ways to sunday in any scenario.

Like the more I test/play with it, the more i'm getting to a 2nd alt of storm blast that is about to be shelved, its just really bad. Which really sucks for how excited I was for the set and how nice it looks ughhh. Guess I'll HAVE to make a sentinel and try to enjoy that cause there is about no other way to enjoy the sets performance otherwise.

Put into perspective, on a big mob, it's literally damage-wise about as effective as voltaic sentinel choosing random targets, but against a small mob or single target, it's actually way worse due to the lockouts and chances to hit. On top of that, due to how jet stream works, you can't even just "save it for a big mob" because without it, jet stream doesn't work due to the repel, and chain lightning is so piss poor for damage.

This power which is the crux of the set, REALLLLLY needs fixed ugh, cause the set is just crap right now.

7 hours ago, Crysis said:

I’ve made several changes to the original build I posted and don’t forget I run with Defense Amplifier as I’ve got stacks of those things.  That way I don’t have to chase wonky slotting for softcapping.

Here’s what new build looks like:

image.jpeg

This may sound odd but I've never used an Amplifier. I like to build  sturdy toons and try to ensure they have good numbers in most areas.

Do the Amps work in Trials and challenge TFs/Sfs etc?

14 minutes ago, BurtHutt said:

This may sound odd but I've never used an Amplifier. I like to build  sturdy toons and try to ensure they have good numbers in most areas.

Do the Amps work in Trials and challenge TFs/Sfs etc?

In most trials, yes.  In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever seen them turned off other than maybe in the new 2-4 star “hard mode” stuff but I really don’t even notice them there because I seldom am running them by that point in the game.  But you don’t really need them past T4’ing out your Incarnate powers.  I consider them a cheap way to address shortcomings prior to Incarnates. 

1 minute ago, Crysis said:

In most trials, yes.  In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever seen them turned off other than maybe in the new 2-4 star “hard mode” stuff but I really don’t even notice them there because I seldom am running them by that point in the game.  But you don’t really need them past T4’ing out your Incarnate powers.  I consider them a cheap way to address shortcomings prior to Incarnates. 

Good to know! And yeah, incarnates really take you over the top so I get that - I still maintain that incarnate stuff has 'ruined' the game. Ok, not ruined but really took away a lot. The struggle and challenge is what drives most to play. Incarnates really changed that. Too bad.

2 hours ago, BurtHutt said:

Good to know! And yeah, incarnates really take you over the top so I get that - I still maintain that incarnate stuff has 'ruined' the game. Ok, not ruined but really took away a lot. The struggle and challenge is what drives most to play. Incarnates really changed that. Too bad.

That’s a common and fair sentiment in that between Barrier and the Nuke pretty much anyone is a god (little g) but that’s also the Lore of the Incarnates powers.  You basically -are- becoming a minor deity.

But yeah, the Amplifiers basically grant you near-Incarnate benefits in the below-50 game.  If you run all three (Defense, Survival and Offense) you basically are playing at +1 to your actual level in most regards.  But if you hate taking the time to respec (I despise it) it allows you to play an end-game build from the ground up without having to do a full respec at 50, because you’ve already considered your Incarnate powers in your leveling build.  A shortcut for sure, but a nice one.  For those of us who bought hordes of Winter packs during the sales of yesteryear, it’s not uncommon to have hundreds if not thousands of these amplifiers laying around unused so….great use!  Even if you have to buy them, still great value I think.

I haven't tested this at all due to lack of time to play, but, does slotting stormcell for accuracy and damage make any difference to the procs that are fired off from other blasts? I have been heavily leaning on storm summoning for damage, so only have it on the base slot with a +rech proc. 

Anyone actually tested chat logs for procs before and after slotting damage into storm cell?

@Black Assassin - Torchbearer

3 hours ago, Black_Assassin said:

I haven't tested this at all due to lack of time to play, but, does slotting stormcell for accuracy and damage make any difference to the procs that are fired off from other blasts? I have been heavily leaning on storm summoning for damage, so only have it on the base slot with a +rech proc. 

Anyone actually tested chat logs for procs before and after slotting damage into storm cell?

I seem to recall quite a bit of proc testing in the Focused Feedback thread for Storm Blast.  Might want to check there.

So I hit level 50 last night.  Here’s some observations:

1) Storm/Storm/Dark is as viable as any other AT/powerset in the game.  The content in this game isn’t all that hard, you can pretty much roll with even intentionally gimped builds like petless MM’s or all-power-pool attacks and with the right team makeup do just fine, have fun, etc.  This isn’t a “wasted” build, you can get it to work just fine.  I almost always take /Dark as my epic pool pick on Corrs because of Soul Drain and in this build it’s pretty much perma if the proc gods smile on you from all the Force Feedback +Recharge procs.  Endurance is a challenge, but throwing the extra Perf Shifter into LS makes it almost pay for itself and Dark Consumption covers the gaps until you get to Ageless (more on that in a moment).  I run with a great team of SG mates who really understand the game, all the shortcuts, make good builds and play very nicely together.  This set works fine on teams like that or pure PUG’s.  It’s interesting and viable and contributes.  Just not as much as almost any other pairing with /Storm Summoning/Dark would with a Corr.  I have a Fire/Storm/Dark, a Water/Storm/Dark, an Ice/Storm/Dark and so many other storm builds in so many other AT’s.  I’d say just about any of them are more powerful than this build is capable of ever being.

2) Visually, it’s -absolutely stunning- and with Storm/Storm you have some glorious chaos on the battlefield.  However, that also can be annoying on certain maps for your teammates as depending on how you color the powers you can all but blind the remainder of the team (and even yourself) with all the f/x going off.  But to call down the lightning with your hand while targetting an opponent across the room….that’s some glorious looking visuals.  

3) If you are a min/max player (and I am) this is NOT the set for you.  There may be a better pairing for it on a Defender or Corruptor.  Dark or Kin come to mind.  Maybe Electric, but not for sapping (sapping as all min/max players know gets you nowhere really relative to max DPS).  But that’s also going to be a huge drawback as you are only rewarded for the sets mechanic of Storm Cell + Cat5 when you use your Storm Blast attacks.  You are actively -penalized- if you use any of your secondary/pool attacks.  I mean Storm Blast itself takes nothing away from you if you use your secondary/pool attacks, other than the END and time you pretty much wasted with all the setup time required for Storm Cell and Cat5.  So in that sense, Storm Summoning is a great secondary both thematically and from a min/max perspective as LS and Tornado just go do their thing while you get back to Storm Blasting in a vain attempt to make all that setup of Storm Cell+Cat5 actually -do something meaningful- with your attacks.  And Storm Blast attacks aren’t all that effective in their own right.  Chain rarely chains and the remainder are just meh outside of the snipe.  In fact, I use the snipe and hailstones almost more than any other powers, even on their own, as they are the only ones to reliably create DPS.  But again, for a min/max mindset/playstyle….this ain’t it folks.  Look elsewhere.

4) All that said…not a great candidate to go thru the Incarnate slog.  Even with all the perks Incarnate powers will give you….allowing you do crazy things like proc monster out all the primary attacks and just ignore endurance and drop a god-tier nuke every few spawns….it’s just not going to be worth the investment for me.  And I’m one of those “completist” kinds of personalities.  It will bug me that this toon is sitting there at 50 without incarnates.  So maybe at some point when I’m jonesing for some BAF chatter I’ll pull i tback out for a run or three.  But I know right now that I’m not chasing anything ‘special’ with this build.  

TLDR: If Storm/Storm/Dark as a Corruptor was a beer, it would be a Miller Lite.  Meaning everything you ever wanted in a superhero…but less.

image.png.a68f46ba16af25bb468b1f48e66d27dc.png

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Black_Assassin said:

I'm not entirely clear what you are asking, but the lightning attacks that storm cell uses are governed entirely by the acc/dam enhancing you slot into storm cell. They are simply triggered by you attacking (hit or miss).

The lightning attacks that storm cell uses have base acc of 1.15x, so you'll definitely want to get some acc slotting in to the power unless you are running some specific combos with large area defense debuffs. Even then you'll eventually want some acc likely.

Damage procs (like posi chance for energy) slotted in storm cell apply to all 3 different lightning attacks that it uses. The proc chance is quite low because each attack is a 25ft aoe that can hit 1-4 targets.

Over time it is probably ok return on slot investment if you fight large spawns. The proc I found best in testing on beta was the FFB +rech and just went with 5 pieces of a ranged aoe set for the bonuses. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Black_Assassin said:

It makes a HUGE difference, precisely for one of the main issues of the power in that for most combos, slotting for accuracy is the ONLY way most can make it hit against higher level enemies. 1.15% is still not enough tbh except for very few combos, and mostly only def/corrs can do it. They did mention your attacks dont have to hit, for the procs to fire off, but that is usually less of the issue than storm cells proccing itself, damage, how many it hits, the DUMB lockout etc. The power is still piss poor.

For cell itself, you basically have to slot it like a normal attack, higher on accuracy than most, and procs that effect the enemies such as damage procs are basically non-existent. The only procs of value, really are the FF proc, and maybe the pshifter proc which only happen upon casting, to help reclaim some end/rech when casting it. (another issue of cell, is that it SHOULD have a super low end cost, like 2 end, cause it doesn't really do much of anything until you actually use your own attacks, but instead they didn't even fix that before pushing this set to live, and still is fairly hefty 15end cost having to use BEFORE even starting every fight... *sigh*

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Black_Assassin said:

Storm Cell is perfect for half of the Scourging Blast (iirc) set. I slotted mine with the Acc/Dam, Acc/Dam/Rech and Acc/Dam/Rech/End. This gives you plenty of Acc/Dam/Rech values. 

And yes, slotting for Acc/Dam increase both those attributes when the power procs.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Camel said:

Storm Cell is perfect for half of the Scourging Blast (iirc) set. I slotted mine with the Acc/Dam, Acc/Dam/Rech and Acc/Dam/Rech/End. This gives you plenty of Acc/Dam/Rech values. 

And yes, slotting for Acc/Dam increase both those attributes when the power procs.

That's what I did too, on Corruptors, and for that defender ATO set too that has 10% rech with 3. Then in 2 other slots I did I think 2 winters to shore up the acc/dam/rech values so it actually hits +3s and well, as much as it can against +4s since 1.15% just simply isn't enough :/. But that's the best way for it yeah, most builds at least. Then the other 3, acc/dam, quad, and absorb, or heal/end proc, into direct strike, along with 2 power transfers quad and heal proc, and a pshfiter proc. Again, that is dependent if the build needs those heal/end procs, if not, can finish the slotting with 3 other things couple purples, etc.

• Like 1

This set is visually fun, I love the visuals. Unfortunately all the time it takes to setup the rotation is exhausting, and babying Storm Cell/Tornado is pretty annoying. I wish Cell was just a toggle or something, or make it follow you faster.

All in all its not a serious character for me to min/max. I will probably just relocate it to "light some pretty colors" in pug groups role.

• Thumbs Up 1

Characters on all servers: Charlotte DeWitte // Sillie Eilish // Charlotte's Sword // The Guns of DeWitte

I've said this in the Beta feedback thread - if they need to keep the lockouts for some reason, they really need to drastically increase the Focused/Split/Spread Lightning damage of Storm Cell.

Focused Lightning strikes need to deal the same damage as the Snipe power.  The Split lightning damage needs to deal as much as the T8 power at minimum.  And the Spread lightning damage need to deal at least as much as the T2 power to all targets.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Glorificus said:

I've said this in the Beta feedback thread - if they need to keep the lockouts for some reason, they really need to drastically increase the Focused/Split/Spread Lightning damage of Storm Cell.

Focused Lightning strikes need to deal the same damage as the Snipe power.  The Split lightning damage needs to deal as much as the T8 power at minimum.  And the Spread lightning damage need to deal at least as much as the T2 power to all targets.

Id rather they kept damage the same and just unlocked the power. I want to see lightning crashing all other the place as I spam powers in the stormcell. 

• Like 1

@Black Assassin - Torchbearer

@GM Impervium, sorry for tagging you, it's the first time I've ever done something like this.

So, I've since taken my Storm/Storm/Dark Corrupter to level 50 and beyond. I earned all 4 passive accolades, (I went the Task Force Commander route) have a fair amount of incarnates (the only T4 I have is Destiny Ageless, which is mandatory on all of my /Storm and Storm/ characters, the rest are T3) and have done everything from standard ITFs, +4 ITFs, MLTFs, +4 MLTFs and more. In certain scenarios, Storm Blast is actually pretty good. But after playtesting an actual character that I have min/maxed, I can honestly say there is a fair amount left to be desired.

One change I can think of is having at the bare minimum, Storm Cell being a PBAoE similar to Hurricane, but with an increased radius. Having two powers that are location-based and absolutely integral to the set is a bit much and is very tiresome to micro-manage. Making Storm Cell a 20'-30' radius PBAoE toggle that costs endurance to have up would be a game changer and something I think the community could agree on. Jet Stream would suffer slightly if left as is, but I believe the community as a whole would appreciate the change. There might be better ways.. Maybe making Storm Cell an auto power and giving all of your powers a chance to proc Storm Cell as-is? All I know is that having to always maintain Storm Cell is incredibly arduous once you get your T9 and try to navigate around all of your other powers.

Storm Blast actually caters to my playstyle as an exclusive click-only-player... and I can confidently say that having two location-based AoE powers which are essential to the set is too much. Despite my enjoyable experience with Storm Blast, it just feels like it’s lacking in some regards. Forget being /Storm or Storm/ (primary vs. secondary.) C5 and Storm Cell being exclusive location-based AoE powers is so much to micro-manage and even in perfect scenarios, it's a lot. Storm Blast definitely isn't "awful"... but there is a lot that can be improved and I really think keeping the proc mechanics with Storm Cell and C5 the same, but at least changing Storm Cell to a very large radius PBAoE toggle( or something else) that costs endurance would be a great fix. 

I'm a very good player, (not trying to toot my own horn at all, but I've had a few PUGs with random, great players on some of the most popular TFs and have come within a few minutes or less to the speed record) especially as someone who is a "click" only player (which I feel like caters to non-macro players... macros are sort of redundant when it comes to rain-style powers for good click players, there isn't a single power in this game that activates faster than I can position one of my rain powers)... and even with that advantage of being able to position Storm Cell, Freezing Rain, Tornado (as a Storm Summoning player) and C5... it's just too much.

Storm Blast feels like it could use one more a look at. I really think you could leave the entire set as-is but change Storm Cell to a VERY wide toggle that costs endurance and you'd see a large improvement of community acceptance and performance... even if it didn't make the set "perform" better... the fact that you eliminated one more power that you need to actively click, and position would be huge.

I've been a huge advocate for Storm Blast and I'm starting to see its shortcomings, it simply has too much setup and will mostly neuter any primary (Defender) and secondary (Blaster/Corrupter) and leave you feeling like you HAVE to use your primary/secondary only. It's akin to having 8 ST attacks and always having 3-4 of them up at all times. While it does mesh well with a fair amount of secondaries/primaries, the fact that you have to prioritize Storm Cell at all times makes the set very clunky. 

Another potential option/options is making the T9 similar to Fiery Embrace and making it guaranteed damage when you use your blasts? I’ve been viewing Storm Cell and C5 as “extra proc damage”, very similar to Fiery Embrace, but in a rain-power type format. Definitely just spit-balling here but I think the community as a whole agrees that juggling Storm Cell and C5 is too much to micro-manage. Maybe also allowing powers outside of the Storm Blast set having a substantially reduced chance to proc Storm Cell and C5 could work too… it’s just so hard to use powers outside of Storm Blast while using Storm Cell and C5.

As it stands, it almost feels like a copy and paste of Ice Blast, where Storm Cell is Ice Storm and C5 is Blizzard. The only difference being that you can skip Ice Storm in a lot of Ice Blast builds, except for maybe outside of Corrupters because of the interaction Ice Storm has with Scourge. The thing with Ice Blast though is that Freeze Ray, Bitter Ice Blast and Bitter Freeze Ray all have better DPA with no gimmick. And that just feels a bit off.

Anyways, just felt like throwing this out there. 

Cheers!

Edited by Camel
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Lead Game Master

I think the issue that's being run into is that the set was DESIGNED to be mid-tier. Good enough that people who want to shoot rain and ice and lightning at their foes can play it and not feel punished for it, but it lacks procability or exploitable features, making it less desirable for folks who are constantly chasing "the Meta". If every new set was more powerful than the last, or went out of it's way to dethrone the "top powerset", that would be power creep, something the Devs are committed to preventing.

That said, I am NOT a developer ( ☹️ ) , so I can't speak for them. I'm just repeating -and making inferences based on- what I've heard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

GM Impervium
Homecoming FAQ; Need a hand? File a Support Ticket! Want to lend a hand? Apply to be a GM!

34 minutes ago, GM Impervium said:

I think the issue that's being run into is that the set was DESIGNED to be mid-tier. Good enough that people who want to shoot rain and ice and lightning at their foes can play it and not feel punished for it, but it lacks procability or exploitable features, making it less desirable for folks who are constantly chasing "the Meta". If every new set was more powerful than the last, or went out of it's way to dethrone the "top powerset", that would be power creep, something the Devs are committed to preventing.

That said, I am NOT a developer ( ☹️ ) , so I can't speak for them. I'm just repeating -and making inferences based on- what I've heard.

Dev or not, I think your insights are spot-on.  I often feel with the new(ish) sets like the Sentinel AT or new power proliferation that the real issue isn't that anything new is anemic in terms of capabilities, but that all that old stuff is just overpowered by comparison.  But that's a bit of a Catch-22.  If the new powers/AT's aren't going to perform up to par with older efforts, then that sort of takes some of the shine off the new penny.  

Not sure how to fix that as I'm not in favor of global nerfs...but I'm willing to bet that's one of the only ways to address it.  For example, a global Proc nerf would neuter a lot of the "exploitable" synergies out there since the procs pretty much allow a lot more (damage, buff/debuff effect, whatever) stuff than what the original design of the base powers allowed for minus procs.

I'm not asking for nerfs, but I just don't see the new stuff ever really taking off until/unless it performs at the levels of the old stuff.

Thanks for contributing your thoughts.

19 hours ago, Black_Assassin said:

Id rather they kept damage the same and just unlocked the power. I want to see lightning crashing all other the place as I spam powers in the stormcell. 

That was my thought as well. I'd rather the lockout removed to see more lighting strikes more often even if they are weaker. Though mechanically, if the powers all had 100% chance to proc the lighting (which they should given current stats/mechanics), then the lockout can be better to let you use your other powers during the lockout to not lose proc time.

It's also dumb that this and chain lighting are weaker damage on the successive chains too. Make enough sense? sure, but necessary and not be fine with the same damage for all targets hit? No. (which this is also EXTRA bad on chain for an aoe you're expecting to do what it SHOULD do).

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/4/2023 at 8:04 AM, Crysis said:

I seem to recall quite a bit of proc testing in the Focused Feedback thread for Storm Blast.  Might want to check there.

So I hit level 50 last night.  Here’s some observations:

1) Storm/Storm/Dark is as viable as any other AT/powerset in the game.  The content in this game isn’t all that hard, you can pretty much roll with even intentionally gimped builds like petless MM’s or all-power-pool attacks and with the right team makeup do just fine, have fun, etc.  This isn’t a “wasted” build, you can get it to work just fine.  I almost always take /Dark as my epic pool pick on Corrs because of Soul Drain and in this build it’s pretty much perma if the proc gods smile on you from all the Force Feedback +Recharge procs.  Endurance is a challenge, but throwing the extra Perf Shifter into LS makes it almost pay for itself and Dark Consumption covers the gaps until you get to Ageless (more on that in a moment).  I run with a great team of SG mates who really understand the game, all the shortcuts, make good builds and play very nicely together.  This set works fine on teams like that or pure PUG’s.  It’s interesting and viable and contributes.  Just not as much as almost any other pairing with /Storm Summoning/Dark would with a Corr.  I have a Fire/Storm/Dark, a Water/Storm/Dark, an Ice/Storm/Dark and so many other storm builds in so many other AT’s.  I’d say just about any of them are more powerful than this build is capable of ever being.

2) Visually, it’s -absolutely stunning- and with Storm/Storm you have some glorious chaos on the battlefield.  However, that also can be annoying on certain maps for your teammates as depending on how you color the powers you can all but blind the remainder of the team (and even yourself) with all the f/x going off.  But to call down the lightning with your hand while targetting an opponent across the room….that’s some glorious looking visuals.  

3) If you are a min/max player (and I am) this is NOT the set for you.  There may be a better pairing for it on a Defender or Corruptor.  Dark or Kin come to mind.  Maybe Electric, but not for sapping (sapping as all min/max players know gets you nowhere really relative to max DPS).  But that’s also going to be a huge drawback as you are only rewarded for the sets mechanic of Storm Cell + Cat5 when you use your Storm Blast attacks.  You are actively -penalized- if you use any of your secondary/pool attacks.  I mean Storm Blast itself takes nothing away from you if you use your secondary/pool attacks, other than the END and time you pretty much wasted with all the setup time required for Storm Cell and Cat5.  So in that sense, Storm Summoning is a great secondary both thematically and from a min/max perspective as LS and Tornado just go do their thing while you get back to Storm Blasting in a vain attempt to make all that setup of Storm Cell+Cat5 actually -do something meaningful- with your attacks.  And Storm Blast attacks aren’t all that effective in their own right.  Chain rarely chains and the remainder are just meh outside of the snipe.  In fact, I use the snipe and hailstones almost more than any other powers, even on their own, as they are the only ones to reliably create DPS.  But again, for a min/max mindset/playstyle….this ain’t it folks.  Look elsewhere.

4) All that said…not a great candidate to go thru the Incarnate slog.  Even with all the perks Incarnate powers will give you….allowing you do crazy things like proc monster out all the primary attacks and just ignore endurance and drop a god-tier nuke every few spawns….it’s just not going to be worth the investment for me.  And I’m one of those “completist” kinds of personalities.  It will bug me that this toon is sitting there at 50 without incarnates.  So maybe at some point when I’m jonesing for some BAF chatter I’ll pull i tback out for a run or three.  But I know right now that I’m not chasing anything ‘special’ with this build.  

TLDR: If Storm/Storm/Dark as a Corruptor was a beer, it would be a Miller Lite.  Meaning everything you ever wanted in a superhero…but less.

image.png.a68f46ba16af25bb468b1f48e66d27dc.png

Thanks for this. Storm/Dark sounds fun. Theory wise, how do you think Storm/Time would do?