Storm Chasing: how are you building so far?

ThaOGDreamWeaver

22 hours ago, BrandX said:

I believe that's what the poster said of Storm Blast.  Build for +DMG and set bonuses over going with lots of procs.  I see nothing wrong with the set changing things up from "Proc it up!"

Pretty sure we will see Proc's getting a "Global Proc Nerf" at some point anyways.

The key to the set really should be +DMG and +RCHG.  That's why Storm/Storm/Dark is so damn attractive.  Storm/Kinetics/Dark maybe even moreso.

22 hours ago, Endorphin said:

So far I have a 50 storm/dark corr and he works well. end is an issue but the people who were complaining about storm cell in the beta chat at 60 sec recharge and slow to follow, its not an issue yes it follows too slowly to do any good but with my recharge I have it up for pretty much every mob.  Skipped Jet Stream due to having to have cell up to negate repel, but have 3 st attacks using gale hail and cloud plus direct strike chain lightning and cat 5 for aoe so don't miss it. I did throw a of kb to kd in cat 5 with 5 posi in cat 5. Capped range and almost capped s/l. rarely need the heal from dark. Just started a Storm/Cold corr as well but not sure how well it will work yet.

Yes, because we pushed for the recharge to go down to 60 seconds. It was 90 seconds before. Thankfully Booper allowed it since it makes a large difference.

On 4/28/2023 at 11:34 PM, WindDemon21 said:

I wanted to point out so far for testing that chain lightning does not seem to be proccing properly most likely due to it's dumb chain nature. even with that enemy procs should work but hardly ever seem to, but especially the heal/end procs from the end mod sets are not properly getting the more chances to proc on bigger mobs that any other normal power would. Was hoping to use that to at least steadily proc the pshifter to help the end on the set, but sadly its only getting the chance to go off on the first target, but also seems to get less proc chances based on the "radius" etc formula, even though it's not getting the extra chances per target hit. So it's getting doubly screwed in the proc department for that.

Chains suck for several reasons: any miss stops the chain and there is always a 5% in there. The damage also does not feel anything special so I don't even know why it has a 20 seconds recharge as if it was the Spin of ranged attacks.

Regardless slotting for pure damage or bonuses is fine too, we don't need to laser focus on procs. I'm only playing on a Sentinel so my views are skewed but it behaves well enough at level40-ish. I need a bit more play time and money for gear to see how it develops.

I am starting a storm/storm Corr. I don't proc out most toons but I will be looking at piling on the Force Feedback proc for the + recharge. I usually team so I'm ok if the set is a bit light on damage. It seems like it'll be a lot of fun with lots of AoE potential. I am looking forward to the MIDS update!

On 4/30/2023 at 1:01 PM, Sovera said:

Regardless slotting for pure damage or bonuses is fine too, we don't need to laser focus on procs. I'm only playing on a Sentinel so my views are skewed but it behaves well enough at level40-ish. I need a bit more play time and money for gear to see how it develops.

Laser focused, no, tbh i never do a procced out build focusing on them but they SHOULD still work for a power at a reasonable rate. The bigger point though, was that is just another thing that is terrible about the power, in addition to missing a full aoe as is (why most chains have better end/damage/rech values than a standard aoe, but this one has the OPPOSITE), it also has less damage than a standard aoe, a longer recharge  than a standard aoe, and a higher end cost than a standard aoe. The power is literally the worst in every single regard than if they'd just make it a regular aoe. Hence if they're keeping the chain, it really should have a shorter recharge/higher damage/less end cost than similar aoe powers.

12 minutes ago, WindDemon21 said:

Laser focused, no, tbh i never do a procced out build focusing on them but they SHOULD still work for a power at a reasonable rate. The bigger point though, was that is just another thing that is terrible about the power, in addition to missing a full aoe as is (why most chains have better end/damage/rech values than a standard aoe, but this one has the OPPOSITE), it also has less damage than a standard aoe, a longer recharge  than a standard aoe, and a higher end cost than a standard aoe. The power is literally the worst in every single regard than if they'd just make it a regular aoe. Hence if they're keeping the chain, it really should have a shorter recharge/higher damage/less end cost than similar aoe powers.

I will agree on that. No reason for a 20 second recharge on a skill that fails if we miss our target. Plus all the other reasons you've mentionsed It's just plain bad. Give us a lightning ball instead.

It seems like the usual reasoning this game has where PbAoEs do more damage and are better than cones, despite cones hitting less enemies and needing to be aligned, which would look like common sense to have cones recharge faster and do more damage. But no.

• Like 1

I'm a bit at a loss for Storm/Storm/(X).  Here's a build that gets to 33% ranged and melee def, with Mu taken for Power Sink and Conserve Power to deal with end issues (though they'll persist at lower levels and perhaps can be offset by base buffs and Recovery Serums).

I don't really know how to slot the Storm Blast powers or what procs in them do - I've seen lots of comments here about how the set proc's badly.  Especially on Chain Lightning not sure about other powers.  What do procs like +end do in Storm Cell - only proc on initial cast?  Hardly seems worth it.   I don't even know how you're supposed to look at slotting Storm Cell besides for recharge / acc.

Can't tell if building for 33% ranged/melee def is also overkill and if I should just go for Teleport/Fold Space - or even up the Force of Will tree for Unleash Potential which when PowerBoosted (hello Power Mastery epic) gives spicy +def to all plus the recovery boost to switch off with Conserve Power.  (I use this on my Storm/Nrg defender).

Anyway, curious what folks think. The attached build was edited from some ideas here like Crysis build and some others, I just poked around at it.

Corruptor (Storm Blast - Storm Summoning) TEST 4.mbd

I’m at 44 now, working towards a modified version of the build I posted above which will have softcapped DEF for Ranged, Melee, Energy and NE.  High Melee defense is -realllllly- useful for jumping into the spawn after I’ve already knocked them on their asses with Freezing Rain and pulling off a Soul Drain for my mini-Fulcrum.  With such crazy high  +recharge I’ll likely skip Burnout entirely and just take Tactics or something.

Endurance isn’t much of an issue now that I’ve got Dark Consumption fully slotted out.

This is a chaotic build, but I put an SD Knockdown proc into Jet Stream as it wasn’t helping me to keep things in my storm patch.  I’ve toyed around with totally respeccing out of that power since it’s a basic clone of Gale, but realized it’s actually more useful than Gale as it feeds into the whole mechanic of the Storm Blast set.

That said, I agree with a lot of the testers than Cat 5 is a bit of a head scratcher.  A T9 “nuke” that does almost all of its damage at the end of its duration rather than up front?  Steamrolling teams don’t even stick around enough for it to be useful.  Solo, it’s even questionable as to its utility.  I may (gasp!) respec out of it completely.  With high recharge you just won’t find it very useful for spawn clearing.  It’s a very creative mechanic for sure, but looks like someone did it to be cute and didn’t even consider the meta of this game is steamrolling teams.  If your nuke isn’t clearing the spawn quickly, it’s -not- a nuke.  It’s a wasted power pick.  I think what we are seeing with this blast set is the issue with development and testing with such a small user base.  Most of the Beta testers did their testing while SOLO, not teamed.  That’s the nature of having such a tiny user base.  And I’m sure the developer did most of their design around a solo mindset as well.  As-is, the powers work really, really well for a SOLO player.  At 40 I was already soloing +3/x5 and while I tended to solo more at the +2 level, I wasn’t taking much damage at +3…just whiffed more frequently.  But all my powers worked really well solo because I could play tactician.  It’s almost like playing a MM really solo….you control the powers being used and you can dominate the battliefield as long as you don’t pull too much aggro.  But teaming?  Good luck with anything but blasting and getting a LS or Tornado out for a Storm/Storm.  I have to be into the thick of the spawn really fast for Soul Drain but after that stuff dies too quickly for your reverse-nuke to even come into play.  It’s literally my least-used power when teaming, compared to all my other Corruptors where my Nuke is used as often as its up.

As-is, Cat 5 is basically a severely gimped form of Blizzard…..in a nursing home…on crutches….loaded with painkillers.

Honestly, I have a build on Test server right now where I’ve swapped out Cat5 for futhermucking CROSSPUNCH procc’d out and you know what?  I’m actually FAR faster at killing stuff than I was with my T9.  And if I’m not taking C5, it really makes me reconsider keeping Storm Cell in the mix, which is a set-defining power.  And if I’m not keeping either of those….why am I taking this new blast set again on a Corruptor?  Maybe a Sentinel?  No wait….Sentinels as an AT need so much damn work this would be even worse.

I dunno gang…..really thinking that unless they nerf a whole bunch of other powersets to bring them down to this level, this is a meme/theme powerset only.

Edited by Crysis
  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Crysis said:

I’m at 44 now, working towards a modified version of the build I posted above which will have softcapped DEF for Ranged, Melee, Energy and NE.  High Melee defense is -realllllly- useful for jumping into the spawn after I’ve already knocked them on their asses with Freezing Rain and pulling off a Soul Drain for my mini-Fulcrum.  With such crazy high  +recharge I’ll likely skip Burnout entirely and just take Tactics or something.

Endurance isn’t much of an issue now that I’ve got Dark Consumption fully slotted out.

This is a chaotic build, but I put an SD Knockdown proc into Jet Stream as it wasn’t helping me to keep things in my storm patch.  I’ve toyed around with totally respeccing out of that power since it’s a basic clone of Gale, but realized it’s actually more useful than Gale as it feeds into the whole mechanic of the Storm Blast set.

That said, I agree with a lot of the testers than Cat 5 is a bit of a head scratcher.  A T9 “nuke” that does almost all of its damage at the end of its duration rather than up front?  Steamrolling teams don’t even stick around enough for it to be useful.  Solo, it’s even questionable as to its utility.  I may (gasp!) respec out of it completely.  With high recharge you just won’t find it very useful for spawn clearing.  It’s a very creative mechanic for sure, but looks like someone did it to be cute and didn’t even consider the meta of this game is steamrolling teams.  If your nuke isn’t clearing the spawn quickly, it’s -not- a nuke.  It’s a wasted power pick.  I think what we are seeing with this blast set is the issue with development and testing with such a small user base.  Most of the Beta testers did their testing while SOLO, not teamed.  That’s the nature of having such a tiny user base.  And I’m sure the developer did most of their design around a solo mindset as well.  As-is, the powers work really, really well for a SOLO player.  At 40 I was already soloing +3/x5 and while I tended to solo more at the +2 level, I wasn’t taking much damage at +3…just whiffed more frequently.  But all my powers worked really well solo because I could play tactician.  It’s almost like playing a MM really solo….you control the powers being used and you can dominate the battliefield as long as you don’t pull too much aggro.  But teaming?  Good luck with anything but blasting and getting a LS or Tornado out for a Storm/Storm.  I have to be into the thick of the spawn really fast for Soul Drain but after that stuff dies too quickly for your reverse-nuke to even come into play.  It’s literally my least-used power when teaming, compared to all my other Corruptors where my Nuke is used as often as its up.

As-is, Cat 5 is basically a severely gimped form of Blizzard…..in a nursing home…on crutches….loaded with painkillers.

Honestly, I have a build on Test server right now where I’ve swapped out Cat5 for futhermucking CROSSPUNCH procc’d out and you know what?  I’m actually FAR faster at killing stuff than I was with my T9.  And if I’m not taking C5, it really makes me reconsider keeping Storm Cell in the mix, which is a set-defining power.  And if I’m not keeping either of those….why am I taking this new blast set again on a Corruptor?  Maybe a Sentinel?  No wait….Sentinels as an AT need so much damn work this would be even worse.

I dunno gang…..really thinking that unless they nerf a whole bunch of other powersets to bring them down to this level, this is a meme/theme powerset only.

Hey just looking at the build and you don't have any DEF softcapped...? What am I missing? 

8 hours ago, Crysis said:

I don't think you need to soft-cap yourself - you can get to ~32% ish and 1 small purple will carry you to softcap, and you don't have to devote so much of your build to soft-cap. Plus if you team a lot, chances are someone on the team will have +Def buffs.  

Your comments about Cat5 are alarming though.  Especially if a proc'd cross-punch is helping you clear faster than Cat5.  And to your point, if you give up Cat5 and Stom Cell, what's the point - especially if Chain LIghtning is as shitty as ppl say.  I meean, I already have a crappy Storm/Energy Def (Mishkin's +rchrg) build....

11 hours ago, Crysis said:

My response to this is lead the team yourself and only recruit people in the 20-30 range. That way you are the more powerful hero on the team and all your back loaded damage has a chance to hit XD

on a real though, storm/storm has so much initial set up with all that leading to mostly back loaded damage you need to be 15-30s ahead of the team. Running ahead as bosses are mopped up to start anew on the next spawn. By the time you have dropped Storm Cell, Cat 5, FR, Nado, LS ( a whopping 10s of total cast times) the team should catch up. 

Or maybe rock it in small teams? 

Its a fun set, if you just go in with the mindset of "oooh pretty visuals" and ignore that fact that you are probably less useful on a team of similar levelled and slotted heroes. 

@Black Assassin - Torchbearer

5 hours ago, BurtHutt said:

Hey just looking at the build and you don't have any DEF softcapped...? What am I missing? 

I’ve made several changes to the original build I posted and don’t forget I run with Defense Amplifier as I’ve got stacks of those things.  That way I don’t have to chase wonky slotting for softcapping.

Here’s what new build looks like:

image.jpeg

14 hours ago, Crysis said:

Wee bit hyperbolic on the Crosspunch thing. Gimme some numbers on Trapdoor or something. As for the rest, sure, maybe. As a Sentinel I leapfrog ahead of the team and have most of the spawn dead before they arrive but that's annedoctical.

Truth is that no single person is important in a full team. Back loaded or front loaded if all things die in 15 seconds what difference does it make?

2 hours ago, Sovera said:

Wee bit hyperbolic on the Crosspunch thing. Gimme some numbers on Trapdoor or something. As for the rest, sure, maybe. As a Sentinel I leapfrog ahead of the team and have most of the spawn dead before they arrive but that's annedoctical.

Truth is that no single person is important in a full team. Back loaded or front loaded if all things die in 15 seconds what difference does it make?

If you are leapfrogging ahead of the team then you are more soloing within a team than being a team player, aren’t you?

I’ll go run some Pylons between the two builds.  I’ve never done the Trapdoor thing.

26 minutes ago, Crysis said:

If you are leapfrogging ahead of the team then you are more soloing within a team than being a team player, aren’t you?

I’ll go run some Pylons between the two builds.  I’ve never done the Trapdoor thing.

I thought we were talking about the meta? It's the normal way to play when in a regular team that kills so fast we barely manage to land a few hits. Any other team or content and we stick together.

17 hours ago, Crysis said:

The more I play it on teams the more I agree. I'm not even talking about fast moving teams either. But the way that you have to cast storm cell just to START the fight every time is already getting tiresome just to HAVE to do so with the way that jet stream works to change the repel down to KD. And even then, I'm hardly seeing anywhere near enough of the strikes from storm cell for it to be worth even and extra single target damage let alone an aoe. And that's not even getting to the end cost of having to cast it every time, and the loss of cast time mob to mob gets really old for hardly having any effect happen from it through the course of the fight.

On test I was only really able solo so testing just one instance of a mob at a time, stopping to check findings etc. In real play this set is so horrible versus other blast sets it's laughable. Really a let-down for how awesome the set should be. Sure it's visual, but just UGH. It really only works when you're literally going straight into blasting and not bothering with your whole other pri/sec set. Ie, pretty much only on sentinels with toggle/auto's on.

And even when you CAN focus on primarily just using the storm blast only powers, the set is still very sub-par on damage. It was clearly built around JUST the focus on the set itself, without any concept that players have another pri/sec set to play as well.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sovera said:

I thought we were talking about the meta? It's the normal way to play when in a regular team that kills so fast we barely manage to land a few hits. Any other team or content and we stick together.

Well we are playing two different Meta’s then, because I’m finding it’s far more common now with everyone carrying around Fold Space and/or Bonfire (or both) that herding is now back in ‘vogue’ so usually you’ve got one/two players pulling the entire room to a chokepoint via aura’s (seldom tankers these days) and/or warping fresh kills into the pile from nearby spawns.

If we have one player running ahead of the rest of the team constantly, it’s usually on a PuG.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

TBH especially with the lockouts, the proc rate when you use attacks should already be 100% chance for all for storm cell to actually start making it's damage worth it, and intensify changed to a long duration to hit/damage buff like rage. That's about the only way I'm seeing the set to be worth its setup time, end cost, and low damage and help the acc issues on cell/c5 as well which still other sets don't have to deal with in the same fashion.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, WindDemon21 said:

The more I play it on teams the more I agree. I'm not even talking about fast moving teams either. But the way that you have to cast storm cell just to START the fight every time is already getting tiresome just to HAVE to do so with the way that jet stream works to change the repel down to KD. And even then, I'm hardly seeing anywhere near enough of the strikes from storm cell for it to be worth even and extra single target damage let alone an aoe. And that's not even getting to the end cost of having to cast it every time, and the loss of cast time mob to mob gets really old for hardly having any effect happen from it through the course of the fight.

On test I was only really able solo so testing just one instance of a mob at a time, stopping to check findings etc. In real play this set is so horrible versus other blast sets it's laughable. Really a let-down for how awesome the set should be. Sure it's visual, but just UGH. It really only works when you're literally going straight into blasting and not bothering with your whole other pri/sec set. Ie, pretty much only on sentinels with toggle/auto's on.

And even when you CAN focus on primarily just using the storm blast only powers, the set is still very sub-par on damage. It was clearly built around JUST the focus on the set itself, without any concept that players have another pri/sec set to play as well.

Exactly my feelings.  It’s a set that was designed around a solo player/playstyle, tested by soloists (mostly at least, and out of necessity) and put into production without really understanding the ecosystem of teaming, the environment or how literally every other “nuke” and/or blast set plays.  They just missed it.

Gorgeous and vapid. That’s the best way I can describe it.  Sort of like some of my ex’s.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, WindDemon21 said:

TBH especially with the lockouts, the proc rate when you use attacks should already be 100% chance for all for storm cell to actually start making it's damage worth it, and intensify changed to a long duration to hit/damage buff like rage. That's about the only way I'm seeing the set to be worth its setup time, end cost, and low damage and help the acc issues on cell/c5 as well which still other sets don't have to deal with in the same fashion.

I'm not sure how much of this is not perception though. Playing with a friend I honestly feel it kills at the same speed of my previous Elec/Bio Sentinel. But it had pretty terrible trapdoor times (safe, but slow, 6-7 minutes if I recall correctly) which seems about par de course for Sentinels.

The thing with pylon tests is that they are a static target we wail on for a couple of minutes which favours Storm Blast, so it's down to Trapdoor.

The slowness is prep time is felt though. To be clear other than some (in my opinion hyperbolic) wording from Crysis I stand by you both.

Edited by Sovera

Just now, Crysis said:

Exactly my feelings.  It’s a set that was designed around a solo player/playstyle, tested by soloists (mostly at least, and out of necessity) and put into production without really understanding the ecosystem of teaming, the environment or how literally every other “nuke” and/or blast set plays.  They just missed it.

Gorgeous and vapid. That’s the best way I can describe it.  Sort of like some of my ex’s.

I wanted to laugh react to this but wanted the more oomph of the thumbs up lol.

But yeah, it has to be one of the main things people wanted, and it's visually stunning, but it is just lacking in literally every aspect compared to any other blast set except kinda control.

Which i'm fine offsetting SOME damage for that, but the nuke, storm cell and the lockouts, end cost, base damage, CHAIN LIGHTNING, etc, it just has too many drawbacks to do nothing but blast.

Again easily the proc rate on all attacks should be 100% to proc cell/c5 and then it'd start to be in line, and the lockouts would then be fine because the lighting only hits 5 targets at a time so can hit other targets with your next attack. Again, even if every proc hit every target in the mob, it's still not really even doing more than any standard rain power.

Then, the lockouts could actually mean more too then because that WOULD be guaranteed time you know a proc won't happen, letting you USE your non-storm powers in the meantime without losing proc damage of using your storm powers.

Again on intensify too, needing to be long duration to last through the cell and C5.

1 minute ago, Sovera said:

I'm not sure how much of this is not perception though. Playing with a friend I honestly feel it kills at the same speed of my previous Elec/Bio Sentinel. But it had pretty terrible trapdoor times (safe, but slow, 6-7 minutes if I recall correctly) which seems about par de course for Sentinels.

The thing with pylon tests is that they are a static target we wail on for a couple of minutes which favours Storm Blast, so it's down to Trapdoor.

I mean i'm gauging that, but even looking at the numbers it's doing plus the actual lighting strikes it seems pretty clear, especially on smaller mobs where the lockout is hitting worse.

Like on a small 5 enemy mob especially (where normally this type of power should shine more than a rain or other aoe) it's actually worse and i'm getting maybe 2 lightning strikes off direct strike/cloud/jet/chain, often less, and the damage is only doing about half of what jet stream does itself. This is really bad even again at a 100% proc rate.