Storm Chasing: how are you building so far?

ThaOGDreamWeaver

Great response to the new set - at least by the number of assorted pun names I'm seeing so far in the chat.

(I'm The Breaker Of The Winds, BTW).

How are you getting on so far - and is there a good way to make Storm Cell easier to see?

• Like 1

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

I can tell you from a blapper perspective it's going well. My main damage dealers so far are hailstones and the snipe. Storm Cell is ridiculously easy to perma, too. I don't know about IOs yet really. But Jet Stream is great positional mitigation. Seems when they're getting pushed back they don't get a chance to hit very hard. A team with several Storm Blast characters is gonna mitigate most threats easily. 

On Beta I tried a pure storm corruptor, and Freezing Rain + Storm Cell is great. Everything crawls. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Idk if it’d be a great synergy, but I was thinking of maybe pairing it with Time. Time isn’t super clicky, and it has some slows to keep the baddies in Storms damage.

Dark Miasma sticks out to me as well, but I feel like it might just be a TON of set up for every fight 😂

I decided against taking Jet Stream due to the repel, and since Storm Cell doesn't always follow you closely to ensure enemies are under its effects every time before you cast Jet Stream.

Is Jet Stream worth it?  My tray is busy/filled enough as it is... so I'm not how vital the cone AoE would be.

2 hours ago, Psiphon said:

Hi all, quick question.

Do the benefits of Storm Cell only work with your own or also other teammates? I assume the former but just wanted confirmation.

Thanks.

Your abilities benefit from anyone else’s storm cell too.

• Developer
3 hours ago, Psiphon said:

Hi all, quick question.

Do the benefits of Storm Cell only work with your own or also other teammates? I assume the former but just wanted confirmation.

Thanks.

Your powers will get Storm Cell bonuses as long as they target enemies that are inside of a Storm Cell. However, only your Storm Cell will proc High Wind and Lightning from your Powers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/26/2023 at 8:33 AM, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

How are you getting on so far - and is there a good way to make Storm Cell easier to see?

This is my main concern so far.  Haven't tried going into the costume creator yet but as is it's very difficult to see even while solo especially compared to something like Freezing Rain (Storm/Storm defender)

14 hours ago, Glorificus said:

Is Jet Stream worth it?  My tray is busy/filled enough as it is... so I'm not how vital the cone AoE would be.

My Storm/Storm has found Jet Stream useful paired with Gale.  Keep knocking them around interspersed with Hail, Direct Strike and Freezing Rain (against a wall/corners) and they've very little chance to respond much less attack.

18 hours ago, brasilgringo said:

build?

Is Mids updated for it yet?  I think I need to do the uninstall and reinstall currently as my version still doesn't even show HC level changes to your power choices yet much less any Storm Blast option yet?

I went Storm/Storm/Dark and will probably stick with it. I can't share an actual build from Mid's but I have some screenshots. This was my first attempt at making a Storm/Storm/Dark. so there might be room for improvement. But as it stands, this build has perma everything, 45ish% to Ranged/Energy/Neg, pretty close to Corrupter HP cap, etc. It takes a bit to get all the goodies rolling, but once you do, the passive damage is pretty insane when your primary and secondary storm powers do their thing.

2023-04-28 (1).png

2023-04-28 (2).png

2023-04-28.png

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/27/2023 at 1:01 AM, brasilgringo said:

build?

yeah sorry.

image.thumb.png.71667821a12caf84621fb0e106cab504.png

stealth, grant invis and infiltration all have 1 LOTG in them. (only lvl 38 currently.)

nado is +rech, KD, -res, rech/end, rech/end/dam, dam 

chance for BU in LS, procs quite regularly. 

Currently working on getting thunderstrike slots so it hits and offers more +rech

• Thumbs Up 1

@Black Assassin - Torchbearer

I wanted to point out so far for testing that chain lightning does not seem to be proccing properly most likely due to it's dumb chain nature. even with that enemy procs should work but hardly ever seem to, but especially the heal/end procs from the end mod sets are not properly getting the more chances to proc on bigger mobs that any other normal power would. Was hoping to use that to at least steadily proc the pshifter to help the end on the set, but sadly its only getting the chance to go off on the first target, but also seems to get less proc chances based on the "radius" etc formula, even though it's not getting the extra chances per target hit. So it's getting doubly screwed in the proc department for that.

For instance with only the recharge from the winter Immob proc (basic), 3 mobs of those 10ish minnions, and it only immobilized 3 of them. So a 1/20 proc rate on a 18ish second recharging "aoe"? I was on level 20 so the rech value was even really low.

Tried with Ball lightning for the heal proc, 16s rech base, with 60% rech slotted, hitting mobs of 10 in PP, it went off 8/10 times. In Chain lightning, which has even a 20s base recharge, and I don't even have any recharge in it, it only hit 7/10. Now that seems close, but you have to also figure that it's got a large recharge time, and is currently unenhanced too. So with same slotting that 7/10 would likely be down closer to the 4/10 only about half as much as it would in ball lightning.

Because it's a chain as well, it has to rely on the first target hitting which other normal aoes don't have to worry about, yet it still takes ranged aoe sets so can't even benefit from slotting the ranged damage sets and procs too. It also has most of the damage to the first target, and does less on the additional ones, so beside the main target, it's only about half as much damage as a similar-aoe power.

I wish this power would just be a normal ranged aoe attack :/.

If anyone has any further testing please let me/us know, but this power is terrible to proc with and damage is seeming lackluster as well. When I tested on beta I was mostly testing on small one person mobs so didn't notice these issues, (and wasn't looking at the chain damage assuming it would be the same as a regular aoe but it's not).

13 hours ago, WindDemon21 said:

I wanted to point out so far for testing that chain lightning does not seem to be proccing properly most likely due to it's dumb chain nature. even with that enemy procs should work but hardly ever seem to, but especially the heal/end procs from the end mod sets are not properly getting the more chances to proc on bigger mobs that any other normal power would. Was hoping to use that to at least steadily proc the pshifter to help the end on the set, but sadly its only getting the chance to go off on the first target, but also seems to get less proc chances based on the "radius" etc formula, even though it's not getting the extra chances per target hit. So it's getting doubly screwed in the proc department for that.

For instance with only the recharge from the winter Immob proc (basic), 3 mobs of those 10ish minnions, and it only immobilized 3 of them. So a 1/20 proc rate on a 18ish second recharging "aoe"? I was on level 20 so the rech value was even really low.

Tried with Ball lightning for the heal proc, 16s rech base, with 60% rech slotted, hitting mobs of 10 in PP, it went off 8/10 times. In Chain lightning, which has even a 20s base recharge, and I don't even have any recharge in it, it only hit 7/10. Now that seems close, but you have to also figure that it's got a large recharge time, and is currently unenhanced too. So with same slotting that 7/10 would likely be down closer to the 4/10 only about half as much as it would in ball lightning.

Because it's a chain as well, it has to rely on the first target hitting which other normal aoes don't have to worry about, yet it still takes ranged aoe sets so can't even benefit from slotting the ranged damage sets and procs too. It also has most of the damage to the first target, and does less on the additional ones, so beside the main target, it's only about half as much damage as a similar-aoe power.

I wish this power would just be a normal ranged aoe attack :/.

If anyone has any further testing please let me/us know, but this power is terrible to proc with and damage is seeming lackluster as well. When I tested on beta I was mostly testing on small one person mobs so didn't notice these issues, (and wasn't looking at the chain damage assuming it would be the same as a regular aoe but it's not).

Reading about Storm Blast on Sentinel forums, it looks like Chain Lightning is a new Chain category, and it's terrible at proccing.   

2 hours ago, BrandX said:

Reading about Storm Blast on Sentinel forums, it looks like Chain Lightning is a new Chain category, and it's terrible at proccing.   

Between that, storm cell, and the nuke it's literally like the set was designed to be terrible with procs on purpose...

Was hoping chain would work at least but no the set is just screwed.

Edit: I'd much rather have this be a standard aoe even with a wider radius so the damage would be consistent and proc chances would at least be useful. Ugh!

Edited by WindDemon21

To be fair to the set, it doesn't exactly feel lacking in the AOE department. Whilst my experience is tempered with the fact I am paired with Storm Summoning, which is a primary damage source all by itself, standard Storm Blast set up seems to wipe everything in a group anyway. All you have to do is target the bosses and unload on them and let Cat5 and the ramp up do the rest. 

Doesn't seem like a big loss that you can get an extra proc or two in your powers for extra damage. Especially when you can just gain more +rech bonuses to pump more powers out and therefore more ambient lightning procs.

2 minutes ago, Black_Assassin said:

To be fair to the set, it doesn't exactly feel lacking in the AOE department. Whilst my experience is tempered with the fact I am paired with Storm Summoning, which is a primary damage source all by itself, standard Storm Blast set up seems to wipe everything in a group anyway. All you have to do is target the bosses and unload on them and let Cat5 and the ramp up do the rest. 

Doesn't seem like a big loss that you can get an extra proc or two in your powers for extra damage. Especially when you can just gain more +rech bonuses to pump more powers out and therefore more ambient lightning procs.

Except those procs all lockout too so getting more recharge and spamming is also not really helping that much.

1 hour ago, WindDemon21 said:

Between that, storm cell, and the nuke it's literally like the set was designed to be terrible with procs on purpose...

Was hoping chain would work at least but no the set is just screwed.

Edit: I'd much rather have this be a standard aoe even with a wider radius so the damage would be consistent and proc chances would at least be useful. Ugh!

I believe that's what the poster said of Storm Blast.  Build for +DMG and set bonuses over going with lots of procs.  I see nothing wrong with the set changing things up from "Proc it up!"

• Thumbs Up 1

The odd thing too, is how it even procs crappy on the enemies. The chaining makes it proc extra bad for self procs, but it *should* really do the opposite on the enemies and proc enemy procs even better, but somehow they seemed to have purposely messed up the power to add the total area for EACH individual proc to make it chances craptastic. It really does get screwed out of procs on both ends. It should really just be a regular ranged aoe that "spread" just in it's animation, kind of like the sentinel refractor beam does. It looks like it chains, but it still simply works as a regular ranged aoe. At least then procs on both enemy and self would proc properly, and the damage would be evened out among all hit, not just more on the single target.

Also per regular aoes, which also have even shorter recharges too and the same target caps, they do about 75 damage at 50 on a corr to ALL enemies hit. Chain, does 85 to the first target, so barely more, but then 80% of that to nearby, and only 60% of that to the next in line, so outside of that it's also only doing about 90% or less damage to 15 our of the 16 targets, with that longer recharge too. I know the set works around storm cell and cat5 too, but those powers also, could just be a simple aoe that you could get far more aoe out of as well, and even as it's secondary effect too, is weaker and less valuable thank pretty much any other aoe as well. So even if cell for example was just a regular rain, with lets says some knockdown, and if chain had some, but worked like a normal aoe, the set would be much better off even. If cell wants to work how it does i'm fine with that, but chain should really be looked at to it's damage since it also can't proc in pretty much any useful fashion, and the secondary effect (i'm even going elec aff on my one) the drain is so low to all but the single target it does practically nothing also.

The set would be much better off if it was just a plain normal ranged aoe, not the weird chain.

22 minutes ago, BrandX said:

believe that's what the poster said of Storm Blast.  Build for +DMG and set bonuses over going with lots of procs.  I see nothing wrong with the set changing things up from "Proc it up!"

I was literally about  to post this as you just posted that lol. But what I was getting at, is ESPECIALLY since it can't even proc well, the power itself is WAY understatted, as the damage outside from the initial hit (and barely is over most) is WEAKER than most normal aoes of other sets, has a near useless secondary effect because the values are too low, and even has a longer recharge than others to boot. If the power is going to remain to work exactly as it does, it needs a damage boost (or that damage evened to be the same damage to all that are hit), and it should have a shorter recharge than most similar aoes too, definitely not longer, and should have less end cost than most as well since it does less damage itself too.

Edited by WindDemon21

2 hours ago, WindDemon21 said:

Except those procs all lockout too so getting more recharge and spamming is also not really helping that much.

well, at least I get more recharge to summon more LS and Nado. Not everything is going to be a fire/fire blaster 😛

So, from what I'm reading, so far: Procs don't seem to be working that often, but they do work. Anyone out there doing research want to try to explain how they are working and on what?

For instance, do procs trigger on the bonus lightning attacks? What sort of procs were you hoping would work better, and which ones have you been trying out?  Break it down by power? I know a lot of people are still just dipping their toes in this, so more concrete research might be helpful for everyone.

So far I have a 50 storm/dark corr and he works well. end is an issue but the people who were complaining about storm cell in the beta chat at 60 sec recharge and slow to follow, its not an issue yes it follows too slowly to do any good but with my recharge I have it up for pretty much every mob.  Skipped Jet Stream due to having to have cell up to negate repel, but have 3 st attacks using gale hail and cloud plus direct strike chain lightning and cat 5 for aoe so don't miss it. I did throw a of kb to kd in cat 5 with 5 posi in cat 5. Capped range and almost capped s/l. rarely need the heal from dark. Just started a Storm/Cold corr as well but not sure how well it will work yet.

1 hour ago, Black_Assassin said:

well, at least I get more recharge to summon more LS and Nado. Not everything is going to be a fire/fire blaster 😛

Right, but like half of the blaster sets offer that too and also do more damage. Now not knocking storm wholly as it does offer some CC and debuff, but chain lightning is specifically a power in the set where most of the issues on storm come from based on its stats and proc chances. Literally everything about the power is lower than any other regular aoe out there. Damage, recharge, end cost, proc chances both self and enemy affecting, secondary effect too even is weaker by far than anything else.

Besides looking cool, the *barely* only other thing this power has over others is *sometimes* it's chaining can reach a tiny bit further, but that also often means its chains around and misses targets too. But otherwise yeah, literally every stat about this power is behind from any other standard aoe. Would much rather it just work like a regular ranged aoe than this dumb chain.

Edit: Oh also forgot to mention that as a chain (which it should get chain stats, not taoe stats) if you miss the initial  target, it also misses the whole mob too. This power is horrid outside of just "looking cool"

Edited by WindDemon21