Fly Pose

Unsure if requested before, but...

Just like how we can now alter our innate walk animation, I'd like the fly pose options to be selectable at ICON. They are really fun, already in game, and would just be nice to have.

• Thumbs Up 4

Everlasting
Light Star character series
Twink character series

I'll be honest, I keep forgetting about them. Being able to do this as a bit of customization like that would be nice.

• Thumbs Up 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

22 hours ago, DanaDark said:

Unsure if requested before, but...

Just like how we can now alter our innate walk animation, I'd like the fly pose options to be selectable at ICON. They are really fun, already in game, and would just be nice to have.

I keep hoping they're working on the flying surfer ice/fire pose. In my mind it doesn't seem like a massive ask - evidently I'm wrong. I'd love to hear from the devs what the technical issues are in cases like this. 

Edited by Herotu

4 hours ago, Herotu said:

I keep hoping they're working on the flying surfer ice/fire pose. In my mind it doesn't seem like a massive ask - evidently I'm wrong. I'd love to hear from the devs what the technical issues are in cases like this. 

Has it been requested? I don't recall seeing such a request. And if it hasn't been specifically requested, then why would the devs be working on it when they already have so much on their plates that they are working on?

1 hour ago, Rudra said:

Has it been requested? I don't recall seeing such a request. And if it hasn't been specifically requested, then why would the devs be working on it when they already have so much on their plates that they are working on?

To me, that seems like a very peculiar attitude. Bizarre, even.

22 minutes ago, Herotu said:

To me, that seems like a very peculiar attitude. Bizarre, even.

Why? Should I expect the devs to omnisciently know what players want? Should I expect them to work on a project like that when there are other things they obviously want to or need to work on instead?

2 hours ago, Rudra said:

Has it been requested?

I think it has been already.

2 hours ago, Rudra said:

And if it hasn't been specifically requested, then why would the devs be working on it when they already have so much on their plates that they are working on?

it's been requested now by @DanaDark if not before (and I'm pretty sure it already has been and I replied to that thread as well)

This seems easier to to implement then creating the blitz travel/sprint-mode animation as the flight pose emotes already exist.

Player picks a flight pose emote to use when they are flying the same way that they pick a travel/sprint mode option in the tailor currently. Possibly have the option to have it on when in hover or only when flight is on. Either way have it activate when the character moves like the current flight/hover animation already does.

It's always up to the DEVs what they are going to do.
Players should always feel free to make suggestions.

Demanding that the DEVs do something is out-of-line from my point of view.

A request or idea isn't a demand; they are suggestions.

17 minutes ago, Rudra said:

Should I expect the devs to omnisciently know what players want?

No. That is why there is a Suggestion and Feedback subforum.

I've seen you use it before.

I hope your day gets better.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

1 hour ago, UltraAlt said:

I think it has been already.

it's been requested now by @DanaDark if not before (and I'm pretty sure it already has been and I replied to that thread as well)

This seems easier to to implement then creating the blitz travel/sprint-mode animation as the flight pose emotes already exist.

Player picks a flight pose emote to use when they are flying the same way that they pick a travel/sprint mode option in the tailor currently. Possibly have the option to have it on when in hover or only when flight is on. Either way have it activate when the character moves like the current flight/hover animation already does.

It's always up to the DEVs what they are going to do.
Players should always feel free to make suggestions.

Demanding that the DEVs do something is out-of-line from my point of view.

A request or idea isn't a demand; they are suggestions.

No. That is why there is a Suggestion and Feedback subforum.

I've seen you use it before.

I hope your day gets better.

I asked if the fly poses had already been requested. Then I also asked that if they had not, why should the devs be working on it. You responded that my questions, or rather my attitude for having asked those questions, was bizarre. So I asked more questions why my previous questions were bizarre. My day is going fine. You chose to answer my first questions only after I questioned what made them bizarre. I was only asking for the answers you gave in this post.

Edit: To be clear, @DanaDark did not request a surfing fire/ice flight pose. @DanaDark requested that flight poses be selectable at the tailors. My questions were about your comment about the surfing fire/ice poses. I have not seen that request before. So I was asking if those poses had already been requested. And if not, then why would the devs be working on it. So I was wrong about you having answered my questions.

Edited by Rudra

1 hour ago, Rudra said:

I asked if the fly poses had already been requested.

I commented that they probably already have been.

1 hour ago, Rudra said:

Then I also asked that if they had not, why should the devs be working on it.

I would be something that I would like as well, but a suggestion is just a suggestion.

The DEVs decide what they want to work on.

1 hour ago, Rudra said:

So I asked more questions why my previous questions were bizarre.

I responded to both your posts as they seemed to be more of an attack against whoever than anything else.

1 hour ago, Rudra said:

My day is going fine.

I'm glad that you are having a good day.

I need to take a nap. I'm getting tired.

1 hour ago, Rudra said:

My questions were about your comment about the surfing fire/ice poses. I have not seen that request before.

I didn't comment on those, but I see that @Herotu did.

I missed that you had been replying to them instead of the OP.

More tired than I thought. Been pushing myself too much it seems.

My bad in not seeing that you were responding to @Herotu and not @DanaDark

• Thumbs Up 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

Hi @DanaDark 👋 

This is just a work-around and perhaps you know it already but in case not it might help bridge the gap until it's closed. 

You can bind the flypose animations to execute midmovement. What I do is bind it to shift+W, so that when I'm flying I just tap the shift key and my character is now in a flypose animation. This can be done with a rotating bind file as well to cycle through anims you like. 

The bind I use is:

/bind shift+w "me flypose2"

But there's a lot more options if you (or others learning about flypose in this thread) want get creative here.

50 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

I commented that they probably already have been.

I would be something that I would like as well, but a suggestion is just a suggestion.

The DEVs decide what they want to work on.

I responded to both your posts as they seemed to be more of an attack against whoever than anything else.

I'm glad that you are having a good day.

I need to take a nap. I'm getting tired.

I didn't comment on those, but I see that @Herotu did.

I missed that you had been replying to them instead of the OP.

More tired than I thought. Been pushing myself too much it seems.

My bad in not seeing that you were responding to @Herotu and not @DanaDark

My apologies as well for mixing you and @Herotu in my comments.

• Thumbs Up 1

Requested many, many .... Many times. The flying animation is difficult, as it's part of the power itself, not an easy change. The closest live devs got was flyposes that only work if you are continuously flying, the moment you stop flying you revert to the standard flypose when you start again. No keybind satisfactorily works innately where you execute a variation when we you move with flight.

If I recall, the fix is not just changing the animation, due to how flight works as a movement power and the pose built into it. That was on live, there may have been significant enough changes under the hood to allow code updates that can effectively allow flight to now have alternate animations.

Devs?

18 hours ago, SwitchFade said:

Requested many, many .... Many times. The flying animation is difficult, as it's part of the power itself, not an easy change. The closest live devs got was flyposes that only work if you are continuously flying, the moment you stop flying you revert to the standard flypose when you start again. No keybind satisfactorily works innately where you execute a variation when we you move with flight.

If I recall, the fix is not just changing the animation, due to how flight works as a movement power and the pose built into it. That was on live, there may have been significant enough changes under the hood to allow code updates that can effectively allow flight to now have alternate animations.

Devs?

Some good information here! I'm a software engineer and really enjoy hearing about how things are programmed. I definitely know how infuriating hearing "Its just a few lines of code" is or when people assume something should be super easy to do!

Everlasting
Light Star character series
Twink character series

• Retired Developer

This was supposedly tested a long time ago and the results were unsatisfactory without there being brief transitional animations into each chosen fly pose from a neutral hover / ready pose. Currently, all of the fly poses are entered from the actual flying pose, and not a neutral hover pose, which, while not terribly dissimilar a starting point, enough to cause it to appear unpolished.

It was either that, and/or the lack of strafing poses for each fly pose. They may also need transitional animations for motion into flying backwards from each fly pose if the default interpolation looks bad.

It's sort of in a bucket list of things we would like to do eventually, just can't say when without doing some tests myself. The absolute worst case scenario is 36 brief animations, but very likely less than that if they can be shared across gender types, and again, how much we can get away with with interpolation. It still needs to look "okay" if someone rapidly switches between forward and back or any other combination of strafing without looking really weird.