a pulp-based path from 1 to 50?

I've been interested in pulp-style adventures of late, but can't seem to get a handle on a COX's character pulp-like path. I figure COT has to be involved (Oranbega maps scream "pulp" to me, and I don't mind those maps). 

Where does one start (hero side)?  Azuria, right?

If people want to start a regular-time team of pulp-type heroes, I'd join, any server.

• Like 1

A pulp-style leveling path? Hmm. Atlas or Perez Park then Hollows->Faultline->Striga->Salamanca->Rikti War Zone are some of my favorite zones with plenty of pulp material villain groups and plots.

Edited by Frostbiter
  • Like 2

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

57 minutes ago, Snarky said:

The tragedy of MMORPGs

No one wants to lead.  Even when it is their idea.

Considering I was asking where and which contacts to see, I might not be a good choice for a leader.

Maybe I should rephrase it: If people want to be part of a regular-time team of pulp-type heroes, I'd join, any server. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Snarky said:

The tragedy of MMORPGs

No one wants to lead.  Even when it is their idea.

Hence the occasional LFG statements out of the blue that read like:  "Whomever is running a Justin Augustine TF, I would like a spot."  Particularly hilarious when they break a long silence to call out in the middle of the late night when only a few players are on. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 5/25/2023 at 4:16 PM, gamingglen said:

Where does one start (hero side)?  Azuria, right?

Yes and no.  Contact "tracks" aren't what they used to be - they can go off the rails quickly these days.  So of you want to go hunting for Orange Bagels, at some point you'll have to do a bit of digging to determine which contacts will point you in the right direction.  There's probably a guide out there somewhere.  That said, I can't recall a quest line after "Caverns of Transcendence" that mostly involves chasing possessed bodies in oddly pointy robes.

More generally, I'd guess stuff involving the Family, the Council, and the Fifth Column may fit the bill as well (the general "pulp" bill; not the Orangutan bill), with occasional detours into the Midnight Squad or even GM fighting.  First Ward also gives me a pulp vibe, is chock-full of magical stuff, and doesn't require you to run pre-20 Praetoria (though the Art Deco style can invoke that pulp mood).

Speaking of which, Fermi wrote a 1-50 guide to Praetoria a year back.  However, I haven't followed it, so I can't vouch for it.

14 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

I'm not certain what you mean by "Pulp" here. Are we talking Conan or Modesty Blaise, or something else entirely?

I keep seeing those old private detective.  Best parodied by the lovely Jessica Jones.  (in my opinion)

16 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

I'm not certain what you mean by "Pulp" here. Are we talking Conan or Modesty Blaise, or something else entirely?

Probably something that straddles between "pulp" and "proto-dieselpunk", with a bit of "old radio" thrown in for good measure:  Doc Savage, The Shadow, The Spider, Green Hornet, Sky Captain, The Rocketeer, etc.   I know I've personally used one of the terms to describe all since they overlap in time period.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, GM Impervium said:

Autocorrect strikes again!

6 hours ago, TheOtherTed said:

(the general "pulp" bill; not the Orangutan bill)

You missed something about a primate 🤔

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer