What is wrong with these people?

Snarky

I was on a Posi 1 PUG one time and a Storm Defender single-handedly saved the team from wiping at the city hall door. This ... person had just ran to the door before the team was ready and I thought welp here we go we are all dead, and this Stormer just went to work. It was probably the most beautiful thing I've ever seen in this game.

• Like 4

Posi 1 is a litmus test.  I can usually tell by the first mission or two before the last mission ever comes along as to success(or not) of the last mission.  2 weeks ago, there's was a posi 1  which obviously going to fail on the last mish because, not only did its tank trigger the door ambushes when told by the leader to be careful to not, but they also ditched shortly after. 

Next day on an alt, I joined another posi 1.  This time there were two tankers, including the one from the previous day.  Our leader was nice and tended to help give instructions on how to do things as needed because it seemed there were 2 folks not familiar with the run but it was obvious about the mid way point the tank from the day before was going to be trouble yet again.  I sent a tell to the leader warning them how things had transpired the day before and she said she'd noticed how the other tank was being and not to worry.  

Sure enough, we hit the last mission and while this time instead of heading straight for the doors(as the leader said to clear the rescues and then the trash near the doors first, the second we were engaged in the mob group below the stairs, the guy runs up to the doors and triggers the ambushes, I and another call out that we got ambushes triggered by that tank and the tank says he didnt(yet I, the another on the team who called it out too and the leader saw him) and then calls the team in all caps morons saying that going up there didnt trigger it.  Leader instantly kicked him while the team managed to valiantly take down the ambushes and that group at the bottom of the stairs.  Everything went pretty smooth from there(I think only 1 death on a simulacum, even).

My experience has been that 1 out of 3 of those runs have people do what's needed and 1 out of 3 usually has to be given up on because how they go south.  Im on the fence about it really.  Part of me thinks that by comparison with how every other tf goes and the specific mechanics in that tf, that it may be a mismatch for being the very first tf that a player, especially new, can encounter.  The other part of me thinks that for those that don't quit the game in discouragement, its a good piece of experiential learning.  Its just the ones that have this as their first welcoming to task forces, its not always very welcoming.  Its almost like an initiation and hazing ritual like a fraternity. Maybe we should change the tf's name to Pledging with Kappa Omicron Xi  (CoX) 😛 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sanguinesun said:

Sure enough, we hit the last mission and while this time instead of heading straight for the doors(as the leader said to clear the rescues and then the trash near the doors first, the second we were engaged in the mob group below the stairs, the guy runs up to the doors and triggers the ambushes, I and another call out that we got ambushes triggered by that tank and the tank says he didnt(yet I, the another on the team who called it out too and the leader saw him) and then calls the team in all caps morons saying that going up there didnt trigger it. 

THe problem with people is encapsulated in this drama.  Often, when someone is dead wrong they cannot see it.  Everyone else is the ones that are wrong.  Time for me to dig more holes.  sigh.

On 6/3/2023 at 4:25 PM, Hyperstrike said:

Just an FYI, there are times that a sufficiently beefy DPS Blaster will literaly TEAR aggro off of even tanks.

Not OFTEN.  But on occasion.  Had this happen with a couple of experienced tanks on a Tank, Blaster, Tank team when I was, strangely, rocking a Blaster.

I kept getting a huge chunk of the aggro turning around and whaling on me.

At first, I thought I wasn't giving the tanks enough time to aggro grab, and thus was drawing the alpha strike.

So I'd sit back for a moment, let them go in and engage, then let loose.

Yet again, "MACROSS MISSILE MASSACRE!" *OOH!  NUMMY FLOOR!*

None of us could figure out what was going on.

And if I had to sit there and wait for half the spawn to die, there was no point in playing...

I was on a rikti mission with my rad/rad defender. Tank forgot to use taunt to grab agro(I think he was grabbing a drink instead). I dropped debuffs on senior lt mob, every single rikti in the room shot me at the same time. Hello floor!

On 6/3/2023 at 3:08 PM, Snarky said:

As stated before the team NEVER listens to my instructions on this mission.

Use your outdoor voice 🙂  Nobody can understand faint hissed curses and that horrid eastern European accent, you damn near need subtitles to read English.

• Haha 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

*reads thru this thread*

*scoffs*  And people say the game's gotten too easy these days!

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

On 6/3/2023 at 2:08 PM, Snarky said:

As stated before the team NEVER listens to my instructions on this mission.

Let's all be honest here.  None of us ever makes it much past the "So I started a Posi 1..." part of your posts.  You shouldn't lead with that.

• Haha 1

On 6/3/2023 at 11:03 AM, DougGraves said:

As a tanker - when aggro is being held by another tanker I automatically want to go and grab more aggro.  It's what tankers do.

I usually like to tell people that three tankers on a team means we are contractually obligated by the Tanker's Union to do our best to pull the entire map down on top of ourselves.  

Usually.   

But Posi 1 tho.... yeah.  No.  Level 8-15 and even people exemping down from 50 are dealing with half their toys at best.  Low level CoT are a lesson (the painful kind) in the effectiveness of stacking buffs/debuffs.   They have +def bubbles, earthquakes, and a withering hail of -toHit.  And that last mission... somebody on the Live team was having a bad week or something when they chose to make that door ambush permanently aggro on anyone who even dips a toe in the map, even after they died, left, and returned.  Yikes!

• Like 1

I love Posi 1 - my 2nd favorite TF behind ITF

Since I have no friends 😞 it’s pug life for me.

Half the time it runs smooth.  The other half, we either run into trouble during the 3rd mish, where someone runs up the stairs to pull aggro and finds several mobs just waiting - or the final mish where the door gets triggered before everyone is ready.

Cant think of maybe one or two times we couldn’t finish, and that would have been because too many quit during final mish.