Would you rather...?

Yomo Kimyata

Over the years, I have seen a lot of posts about "Should I make an X/Y character as AT1 or AT2?"  And sure, you can make a poll or search out past posts on the AT1 and AT2 forums, but now that we have new reactions, why not keep it in one thread?

Let me start by asking:

Would you rather mostly solo level to 50 (ideally +4/x8 by 50, but whatever you want to handle -- I'm not sure I can handle +4/x8 on non-melee characters!):

Defender Trick Arrow/DP (if so, please react "ramen")

Corruptor DP/Trick Arrow (if so, please react "television")

Blaster DP/Tactical Arrow (if so, please react "satellite")

?

If you wish to give your reasoning please do, but it's not necessary.  And I know, I know, of course "it depends" but I'm asking you, yes you, which one you would choose.

And, of course, if you have a similar question, please ask it and set your reaction choices!

Happy hunting!

• Like 1

Who run Bartertown?

If we're talking about a strictly solo experience, I would probably go with the Blaster.

/Tactical Arrow has some incredible utility in it for a blaster secondary. I feel it'll also take off sooner and smoother than a corr or def. It can start building a tiny bit of bulk that def/corr TA have to wait for and is also better on End. You don't give up much for it either comparatively.

None of the choices are bad though! I would even argue the Corr might perform better at 50 with IOs.

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

Tactical Arrow is a fine blaster secondary, but it's quite different from Trick Arrow. Tactical's version of Flash Arrow has a minimal tohit debuff while Trick version's is massive. Tactical also has no -resist. For soloing, I think Trick Arrow offers quite a bit more safety. Either defender or corruptor should work fine, although I prefer the higher corruptor damage.

• Like 2

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

Agree with @Uun and @Parabola. I would likely make a defender as I have fewer (barely) of that AT (and apparently my next Corruptor is a Rad/Dark!!).

The Splintered Soul Project: (Nyght****) 21 and counting (18 max). 

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

OMG the DP and any arrow combination!  The constant weapon swapping would make me pull my hair out, and hurt myself . . . with matches.

• Haha 2

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

• 2 weeks later

I love that the voting was so close (3/4/5).  I can see the rationale for each choice (and don't get me wrong, I made one of each...).

But it got me thinking, so here's a follow up to "Would you rather?"

When making the choice between making a corruptor or a defender:

- Always defender, they have better buff/debuff numbers (ramen)

- Always corruptor, they have higher damage scalars (bulgaria)

- Corruptor if the primary has a lot of DoT powers in order to take advantage of scourge (television)

- Other specific reason, please describe (satellite)

?

Who run Bartertown?

It very much depends. Lots of dots is a good reason to go corruptor, bigger buff/debuff modifiers are a good reason to go defender. But I've recently made more corruptors than defenders purely because I prefer the corruptor ato's.

On 6/22/2023 at 12:00 PM, Parabola said:

It very much depends. Lots of dots is a good reason to go corruptor, bigger buff/debuff modifiers are a good reason to go defender. But I've recently made more corruptors than defenders purely because I prefer the corruptor ato's.

DoT are generally worse for a Corruptor than a Defender. Scourge only checks when the power effect starts, so having delayed damage means your next attack is less likely to Scourge.

Rains are better for Corruptors since the Scourge check occurs on every pulse.

In terms of the overall question, Corruptors will almost inevitably deal more damage than Defenders except in some very special circumstances. Corruptors have a 15% advantage in damage and Scourge (over a large enough health total) averages out to +30%. Corruptors also have an additional purple proc.

For Trick Arrow, Defenders will deal 1.4x damage from Disruption Arrow vs. 1.3x for a Corruptor, which is about an 8% advantage. Even adding in Entangling Arrow, it isn't enough to counterbalance the advantages above. Moreover, if you're playing at +4 w/Alpha, the value of debuffs is purple patch'd to 65% of its value.

There's also a philosophical question of whether you're buffing others or buffing yourself. I'd argue that, in the current game, you should aim to buff yourself (the Offender model) rather than to buff others (the Defender model). The reasoning here is twofold. The first is that you simply don't know what other players need so trying to build a character around fixing the problems of some random player you've never met is folly. The second is that window between solo play (where you only buff yourself) and too-many-buffs/debuffs-to-count play (where losing a small amount on your buffs/debuffs) is very small. So in the majority of content you'll face, any advantage the Defender variant would have will be meaningless.

With all that mind, the correct answer is "Trick Arrow/Dual Pistols Defender' because Suppressive Fire on Corruptors is currently bugged.

• Thumbs Up 1