[Sniper Blast] acting odd

lemming

Every so often I've been noticing that when I fire Sniper Blast on my Energy Blast/Dev Blaster that the effect goes off, seems to hit the target, but nothing happens.   No aggro, combat log shows all that I did was activate Sniper Blast.  No to hit check or anything.

added note: Pretty sure it only happens with the long snipe

Edited by lemming
add
  • Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, lemming said:

Every so often I've been noticing that when I fire Sniper Blast on my Energy Blast/Dev Blaster that the effect goes off, seems to hit the target, but nothing happens.   No aggro, combat log shows all that I did was activate Sniper Blast.  No to hit check or anything.

Did the target go out of line of sight? Even behind some object where you can "see" them but not entirely?

They just have to do it for a moment, when it tries to initially (or secondarily) do its checks... I'd assume something "blocked" it before it did its check, if you're not seeing anything listed.

Edited by Greycat

Still not particularly fond of certain segments of this community.

1 hour ago, Greycat said:

Did the target go out of line of sight? Even behind some object where you can "see" them but not entirely?

They just have to do it for a moment, when it tries to initially (or secondarily) do its checks... I'd assume something "blocked" it before it did its check, if you're not seeing anything listed.

I should have mentioned.  Straight line to them and everything and the target was not moving.  

Usually when the target winds up going behind something, the shot doesn't happen.  This one is fully activated, goes to the target, and just fizzles. 

7 hours ago, lemming said:

I can't say for sure if this is true in your case, but this is what happens can happen if you are out of target range.

next time, try to move a bit closer and see if it goes off.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

On 6/20/2023 at 8:50 PM, UltraAlt said:

I can't say for sure if this is true in your case, but this is what happens can happen if you are out of target range.

next time, try to move a bit closer and see if it goes off.

Nope.

So, it might have something to do with range, but don't think so.  At 165' able to fire it off and it does the nothing happens.  Right after recharge, works great.  No moving of either party between firing.

Just did a few more firings and haven't gotten it to happen again and on the complete edge of range. (167')

occasionally the snipe mode interrupts itself. ive found this true in all of them.

it used to have a much longer interruot period  and no fast snipe mode.

diesnt show an effect tho, just cancels. perhaps its at edge of range, and I notice it, trying to use it as an opener.

typically, a second press solves the issue.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, honoroit said:

occasionally the snipe mode interrupts itself. ive found this true in all of them.

it used to have a much longer interruot period  and no fast snipe mode.

diesnt show an effect tho, just cancels. perhaps its at edge of range, and I notice it, trying to use it as an opener.

typically, a second press solves the issue.

Still goes thru the animation of the shot and recharge time.

37 minutes ago, honoroit said:

is it repeatable? can you video it? it might help isolate the issue.

Not repeatable on command, since it's not quite range or movement involved.   May even have to do with the devices secondary.

for me, the animation will play, but cancel at its end. the aiming animation, NOT the emission of the power at target, it stops before that, immediatly before in fact.

but its never consumed the cooldown. it does show as activated, but thats because i entered the interrupt period for slow snipe, then for some reason (likely edge of range) it cancels.

it would be nice if it cancelled immediately, but again, i think when this is going on im at the edge and a mob hitbox flickered out of it.

that or i wasnt quite stopped when i initiated the slow snipe.

never seen the cooldown consumed, that means you casted it.

Ok, here's another data point.

[20:19] You start Sniper Blast.
[20:19] You activated the Sniper Blast power.
[20:19] HIT Infantry! Your Sniper Blast power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 55.97.
[20:19] You hit Infantry with your Apocalypse: Chance for Negative Energy Damage for 107.08 points of Negative Energy damage.

The main damage did not take effect, but the proc from Apocalypse happened.   Though with this, we got the HIT dialogue.  So not sure if this is the exact same bug, but my theory is if the proc didn't happen, we would not have gotten the HIT and agro.

This lack-of-damage (on a successful toHot roll) has been observed (and reported) for a long time. It has been most noticeable for me on Scrappers/Stalker Epic Snipes, as the Snipe is very different than most of the other attacks which allows the results to stand out. I have observed it recently on a Corruptor who has the Snipe as a regular part of the usual attack chain.

I want to say: the issue was present prior to the Homecoming changes that included shortening the Range of the Fast Snipe.

The base damage of Snipea is variable (different values Fast or Slow, Fast damage includes the first 22% of+ToHit); I have come to assume/guess that there is a slight issue in one of the math routines that results in a NaN and/or has some sort of error-trap fall-thru. I have also seen the hit registered (in the combat log) with no damage. And sometimes no damage from the snipe and some damage from a %proc.

Yeah as tidge said its a very long standing bug back from Live, think its a miscommunication between client and server, since its happens way fewer on HC then it did back on Live.

Former Player on Server:

Protector, Guardian, Virtue, Liberty, Freedom, Union and Defiant (Hero Side) and part Time Infinity

Justice, Pinnacle, Victory (Villain Side)

Currently Reunion is the Main Server