Siege Perilous Server Ideas

KaizenSoze

I thought it would be fun to revisit this idea. Again, I am not suggesting this should be implemented on the regular servers. This server will never happen, but I find it a fun thought experiment.

It's been awhile since I created the original thread. I have played a little on some non-HC servers and hard modes now exist. This has changed my thinking quite a bit on what would be a good high difficult server.

These first two ideas are from Thunderspy. So, credit goes to them.

• AE disabled except for dev choice mission
  • Crafting greatly simplified, fewer types of salvage, but pretty much the only way to get many IOs is to craft
  • Market limited to salvage

Other ideas:

• Hard caps on defense/resists depending on AT or power. SR for instance should have a higher cap, then invul.
  • Purple patch is a horrible hack, mobs should scale up due to gaining more powers including defense and resists powers
    • See my Yin Hard mode in the Suggestions for ideas on how to mobs more challenging
  • Incarnate nerfs - I am sure everyone will love these. Another user suggested these which I will happily credit if they want
    • Alpha - pretty much stay the same
    • Hybrid - no change
    • Destinies - only effect the player or they are greatly shorted in duration
      • No more level shift
      • No more barrier chaining to trivializing hard mode
      • No more using Ageless to solve all your endurance issues on your proc'ed out damage build
    • Lores - no more level shift
    • Interfaces are already weak enough 🙂
  • Mission cannot be re-run more than once a week if any member of the team has completed the mission that week
    • Forces players into other content
    • No more wolf farms
    • No more farming DA arcs for incarnate salvage at minimal difficulty

Suggestions?

Edited by KaizenSoze
  • Thumbs Down 3

On 6/24/2023 at 10:51 PM, Player2 said:

Market limited to just salvage?  No thank you!

I rely on selling things on the market to fund my builds.  You might as well say everyone play without IOs.

You're right. I had thought out the implication of getting rid of most farming.

So, recipes and enhancement would need to be on the AH.

• Thumbs Down 1

On 6/24/2023 at 5:33 AM, KaizenSoze said:
  • AE disabled except for dev choice mission

If AE is disabled, except for dev choice, then how does anyone write something for people to play so that it is chosen to be dev choice?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Play my AE Adventures, listed under @Jiro Ito, including award winners:

"The Headless Huntsman of Salamanca" #43870 **Scrapbot AE Contest Winner May 2022**           

"On the Claw-Tipped Wings of Betrayal" #43524 **November 2021 Dev's Choice**  

"The Defenders of Talos" #44578 **Mission Architect Competition Winner for October 2021: REBIRTH**  

Purple patch is a horrible hack, mobs should scale up due to gaining more powers including defense and resists powers

This alone guarantees that it will never appear on Homecoming, as modifying mob parameters to scale up with level would fork the database — the Siege Perilous server would have different mob information, with additional power definitions across the level range of each mob type to scale the abilities of the mobs better. The current implementation requires the 'purple patch' to address the limited scaling of the current mob definitions.

2 hours ago, Jiro Ito said:

If AE is disabled, except for dev choice, then how does anyone write something for people to play so that it is chosen to be dev choice?

Mission can be developed on the non hard code servers then ported over. It's not that hard.

• Incarnate nerfs - I am sure everyone will love these. Another user suggested these which I will happily credit if they want
    • Alpha - pretty much stay the same
    • Hybrid - no change
    • Destinies - only effect the player or they are greatly shorted in duration
      • No more level shift
      • No more barrier chaining to trivializing hard mode
      • No more using Ageless to solve all your endurance issues on your proc'ed out damage build
    • Lores - no more level shift
    • Interfaces are already weak enough 

On no level shift; just applies to the incarnate content

Destiny; Completely neutralizes Incan, though I guess the "safe" zone would still happen?

Easier possibly to code, just no Incarnate outside of incarnate content.

• Mission cannot be re-run more than once a week if any member of the team has completed the mission that week
    • Forces players into other content
    • No more wolf farms
    • No more farming DA arcs for incarnate salvage at minimal difficulty

That could be a nightmare to form teams unless you have a group that is in sync.  I'd rather go in with a group for pizza.

If you wish harder content, the game leaves a lot of things UP TO YOU to make the decisions for.

A lot of the things you're asking for would require splitting thee codebase to generate another type of server.

The HC guys are ALREADY maintaining a large codebase.

Asking them  to take on a completely separate one as well is a bit much.

So who delivers it?
Also, WHO PAYS FOR IT?

Remember, this place is supported by DONATIONS.

A set product is promised, paid for and  delivered.

There are two options.

1: Nuke an existing server and replace it.
So.  How are people who "live" on that server supposed to feel when you make their stuff go away?

2: Spin up NEW SERVERS.  Costs more. 
Will have definitively limited playerbase. 
How do they differentiate between mainline HC donations and donations for this sort of server?
Does the market cross over?  If not, add another market server.
How do they all interact?

In short, adding a new server type is counterproductive.
I'd rather the devs spend their time and monetary budget simply making more options available TO EVERYONE.
Then simply play using the options you have or can simulate.

• Thanks 2

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

15 minutes ago, wjrasmussen said:

Ok, now you want to point out reasons. 

The suggestions I find annoying are the ones where some other server does this so we can do it too. 

Don't want to talk down on people.
But simply because some servers ARE doing things doesn't mean that WE should.
The basic premise of HC is that changes have to be:

A: Maintainable (and forward compatible)
B: Nominally stable

Because rolling back SUCKS.  And any future changes have to comply with these tenets.  Hence the multi-level beta testing.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, Hyperstrike said:

Because rolling back SUCKS.  And any future changes have to comply with these tenets.  Hence the multi-level beta testing.

Lighten up. I was having some fun

• Thumbs Up 1

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!

COH bomp bomp: 

53 minutes ago, Hyperstrike said:

What part of fun thought experiment did you miss? I mean really I said this in both threads. It's never going to happen.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, KaizenSoze said:

What part of fun thought experiment did you miss? I mean really I said this in both threads. It's never going to happen.

Then why'd you ask for suggestions?

Well I mean I get you were hoping they'd add on to your idea but without being too rude it's kind of not a well thought out idea...

Anyway, besides this being a 'for fun' idea, every time I see these it makes me think that of an old man going through a late in life crisis. Hilarious and sad to watch all at once. Just because modern games have seasonal servers doesn't(and in CoH's case, definitively won't) mean CoH will do well with such content. You probably also got the reaction you weren't hoping for because this idea popped up already before in some form or fashion 'blah blah ironman server blah blah'

Once again, I understand these are for fun suggestions, but just my two cents on the matter.

Edited by Seed22
  • Thumbs Up 1

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

The game already offers most of this now, by choice and without any additional programming time.  Don't run AE missions, limited market use, cap your build at your desired defense/resist levels, disable all or all but Alpha incarnates on TFs, only do a given TF once per week.  If there's interest in this, you could form a team or sg with other players to play with these constraints.  

21 hours ago, KaizenSoze said:

It's not that hard.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Play my AE Adventures, listed under @Jiro Ito, including award winners:

"The Headless Huntsman of Salamanca" #43870 **Scrapbot AE Contest Winner May 2022**           

"On the Claw-Tipped Wings of Betrayal" #43524 **November 2021 Dev's Choice**  

"The Defenders of Talos" #44578 **Mission Architect Competition Winner for October 2021: REBIRTH**  

5 hours ago, wjrasmussen said:

Lighten up. I was having some fun

And I will say this.

Flat text can be a TERRIBLE medium for shading of language.

And I am not (and never have been) a psychic

5 hours ago, KaizenSoze said:

The part where people talk about "thought", but 99% of the world population exhibits zero such activity.

• Haha 1

On 6/27/2023 at 11:04 AM, Hyperstrike said:

The part where people talk about "thought", but 99% of the world population exhibits zero such activity.

I've learned to be careful extrapolating the inabilities of others lest you risk exposing yourself.

Not saying you're doing this but just in general. I assume, unless given reason otherwise, that you are as capable as I, lest I look like a dumbass  fool.

This is a lesson I am still learning at times haha.

Edited by Seed22

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

5 minutes ago, Seed22 said:

I've learned to be careful extrapolating the inabilities of others lest you risk exposing yourself.

Not saying you're doing this but just in general. I assume, unless given reason otherwise, that you are as capable as I, lest I look like a dumbass  fool.

This is a lesson I am still learning at times haha.

Same here.

But I'm quit PAINFULLY aware of how much of an abject DUMBASS I am.

• Thumbs Up 1