Anybody play a Kin / Beam Rifle? Looking for advice or proto-builds...

Bananiac

Hi Everybody,

I played this defender to 50 now and really enjoyed the ride. As usual, my power choices are mostly driven by thematic and conceptual needs, so I don't care much about min-maxing stuff. But when I like a toon, I am willing to spend on her and provide a decent endgame build. I have failed to find something I could use for reference here, so looking for a starting point on power slotting and sets.

Main intentions:

- Kinetics. Obviously a Team Buff/Foe Debuff playstyle on defenders. So uptime of the mainstay powers is the game.

- BR and Kin kinda allow me to stay at range, not needing to jump into tough spots. So aiming for Ranged Def and then the usual Res boosts.

- BR attacks: do these profit a lot from procs in certain powers? I can see the AoE Nuke being an obvious choice...

- Both Kin and the blast set would probably profit from a high global ToHit and Accuracy boost

- I think I went for Dark Mastery, but I don't have preferences on that. Anything that supports the build is fine here.

Anybody here able to provide some insights? Or - ideally - an example build?

Thanks!

• Thumbs Up 1

That incident involving a nuclear accelerator and a banana… You know… I REALLY don't wanna talk about it!

If you stay at range with Kinetics, you're not going to be able to heal yourself with Transfusion or recover endurance with Transference, both of which are centered on the target. You'll also miss the majority of the Fulcrum Shift damage buff (there is a small caster buff, but the majority of the buff is centered on the target). Kinetics is best when played up close.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

As someone who ODed on Kin on Live, I have zero clue how Kin allows you stay at range.

Transfusion. You have one of two options and the set bonuses are so similar to not really matter. Touch of the Nitcus likely wins out do to the damage proc and added Acc bonus.

Siphon Power: 1-2 Acc.

Repel. Assuming you are part of the .01% of people who even take it, some End Reduc and a KB to KD. Honestly, I can't be made to care due to how terrible the power is, and essentially goes against what Kin does.

Siphon Speed. Slow Sets. Focus on Acc and Recharge. Toss in the two damage procs.

ID. Gladiator's Armor: +3% Def and Steadfast Protection: +3% Def. You could likely toss in the KB Protection one as well.

Speed Boost. However much End Mod you want from this. Preemptive Optimization feels like the best one as the 6-slot bonus is nice.

IR: Another only if you take it. Add in some travel sets to your liking. You can get Slow Resist and more KB Protection.

Transference: See SB, but you need Acc as well.

Fulcrum Shift: 2 Acc and some Recharge.

In terms of Epics, Dark doesn't offer much for a Kin. The big draw here is Soul Drain and Dark Consumption, but you have FS and Transference. I would look at Mace due to Scorpion Shield offering Def to S/L/E or Psychic due to a hold, Mass Hyp(Mass Hyp + FS = joy), and some Resist to Psy. 

Edited by Without_Pause
  • Thanks 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

Bloody hell, I have been doing it all wrong then 😄 

Well, obviously not totally, as I always stayed close enough. But never went completely in all the way.

I see that BR is not an ideal pairing in that case, but dont mind that as I just went for it for the looks. And I never played BR on any other toon to the end yet.

Thanks for the advice, will look into the specifics when I am back at home.

Please keep them tips coming, and would greatly appreciate a sample build that I could use as reference.

That incident involving a nuclear accelerator and a banana… You know… I REALLY don't wanna talk about it!

15 hours ago, Without_Pause said:

As someone who ODed on Kin on Live, I have zero clue how Kin allows you stay at range.

Transfusion. You have one of two options and the set bonuses are so similar to not really matter. Touch of the Nitcus likely wins out do to the damage proc and added Acc bonus.

Siphon Power: 1-2 Acc.

Repel. Assuming you are part of the .01% of people who even take it, some End Reduc and a KB to KD. Honestly, I can't be made to care due to how terrible the power is, and essentially goes against what Kin does.

Siphon Speed. Slow Sets. Focus on Acc and Recharge. Toss in the two damage procs.

ID. Gladiator's Armor: +3% Def and Steadfast Protection: +3% Def. You could likely toss in the KB Protection one as well.

Speed Boost. However much End Mod you want from this. Preemptive Optimization feels like the best one as the 6-slot bonus is nice.

IR: Another only if you take it. Add in some travel sets to your liking. You can get Slow Resist and more KB Protection.

Transference: See SB, but you need Acc as well.

Fulcrum Shift: 2 Acc and some Recharge.

In terms of Epics, Dark doesn't offer much for a Kin. The big draw here is Soul Drain and Dark Consumption, but you have FS and Transference. I would look at Mace due to Scorpion Shield offering Def to S/L/E or Psychic due to a hold, Mass Hyp(Mass Hyp + FS = joy), and some Resist to Psy. 

Yeah, not a fan of Repel either. And don't see the point in Inertial Reduction really. The 2 powers that are skipped. 

I took Soul Drain and Dark Consumption from Dark, but found that I actually don't use them very often because kin is already keeping me busy with the basics. Dark Embrace is a nice Resist Shield, but those can be had somewhere else too. 

In general for protection, Scorpion Shield would imply to build more towards Defense than Resists? Kin & BR don't offer much in terms of your own inherent protect powers, so looking at Fighting and Leadership Pools is probably unavoidable...

Any suggestions for building the BR part here? I understand that Damage will never be the forte of a Defender, but BR got some nice secondary effects.

2 hours ago, Bananiac said:

Any suggestions for building the BR part here? I understand that Damage will never be the forte of a Defender, but BR got some nice secondary effects.

• Single Shot/Charged Shot: Charged Shot has higher DPA than Single Shot. Charged does additional damage when the target is affected by Disintegrate while Single does -regen. Both have a chance to KD. Pick one (I take Charged).
  • Cutting Beam: 50 foot cone with 30 degree arc. Low damage but it's the only AoE aside from the nuke. Also does -def. Procable.
  • Disintegrate: Setup power, tagging foes and causing other powers to inflict additional damage or secondary effects. It also does -regen.
  • Lancer Shot: High damage plus mag 3 stun. I like it, but if you don't want 3 high damage ST attacks, this is probably the one to skip. 
  • Penetrating Ray: Snipe with chance to KD.
  • Piercing Beam: High damage 80 foot cone with 5 degree arc and 3 target max. Also does -res. Treat this like a ST attack. Procable.
  • Overcharge: Ranged nuke with -def and mag 3 stun. Procable.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

4 hours ago, Bananiac said:

Yeah, not a fan of Repel either. And don't see the point in Inertial Reduction really. The 2 powers that are skipped. 

I took Soul Drain and Dark Consumption from Dark, but found that I actually don't use them very often because kin is already keeping me busy with the basics. Dark Embrace is a nice Resist Shield, but those can be had somewhere else too. 

In general for protection, Scorpion Shield would imply to build more towards Defense than Resists? Kin & BR don't offer much in terms of your own inherent protect powers, so looking at Fighting and Leadership Pools is probably unavoidable...

I default to taking Fighting and Leadership on any character I make. More so for Kin as they want Tactics. Kin is terrible at getting set bonuses so it will be harder to build top tier mitigation numbers on it, but Hover/CJ, Maneuvers, finding spots for the two Resist IO: +3% Def , Weave, and Scorpion Shield can at least get you some baseline Def. Def > Res and more so on a Defender. You don't want to get mezzed. I have two mid/lower level BR characters so that's partly way I skipped talking about it. In terms of BR, it has one cone, so it isn't that terrible on a Kin. You can be in the middle of melee, and jump up to then use a cone attack.

• Thumbs Up 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

Another question: Which powers would profit most from the Defender ATOs?

I put Defender's Bastion in Lancer Shot and split Vigilant Assault between Disintegrate and Charged Shot (to double up on the 10% recharge bonus).

3 hours ago, Without_Pause said:

finding spots for the two Resist IO: +3% Def

Both of these can go in Increase Density

• Thumbs Up 1

as i’ve mentioned on other kin posts - it’s such a forgiving set that i would just slot what feels fun. even 2acc/3dmg/1rech in all your attacks would be effective. having FS, a strong heal, transference and siphon speed to hand makes it flexible to play however you want

my kin/sonic is mostly SOs and some random crap thrown in because i like the IO icons, does speed runs, HM content etc fine

• Thumbs Up 1

This sounds like it could be fun! 

I found a cool trick on my Symphony/Kinetics character (also combining Kinetics with a Cone heavy set) and it worked really well.

Take Combat Teleport and set up binds to move in and out of combat quickly.

I did:

/bind q "powexeclocation target Combat Teleport"  to close in on enemy ready to Transfuse/Transfer/Fulcrum

/bind e "powexeclocation back:30 Combat Teleport" to back away ready to fire off cones.

Edited by MonteCarla
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/24/2023 at 5:15 AM, MonteCarla said:

This sounds like it could be fun! 

I found a cool trick on my Symphony/Kinetics character (also combining Kinetics with a Cone heavy set) and it worked really well.

Take Combat Teleport and set up binds to move in and out of combat quickly.

I did:

/bind q "powexeclocation target Combat Teleport"  to close in on enemy ready to Transfuse/Transfer/Fulcrum

/bind e "powexeclocation back:30 Combat Teleport" to back away ready to fire off cones.

That sounds like a fun way to operate... I will certainly look into it, gonna see if I can find space for TP pool powers.

Did you slot anything specific in Combat Teleport?

3 hours ago, Bananiac said:

Did you slot anything specific in Combat Teleport?

Combat TP doesn't need enhancement, but can mule a variety of uniques (increased perception, slow resist, -kb).

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok, I have tried my hand at a first draft for my build.

Usually I am not quite hitting the nail with this, so I post it up for further review. Open for any suggestions to improve it:

Meg Quartermain - Hero Defender
Build plan made with Mids' Reborn v3.6.6 rev. 3
──────────────────────────────

• Primary powerset: Kinetics
  • Secondary powerset: Beam Rifle
  • Pool powerset (#1): Flight
  • Pool powerset (#2): Fighting
  • Pool powerset (#3): Leadership
  • Pool powerset (#4): Teleportation
  • Epic powerset: Mace Mastery

Powers taken:

Level 1: Transfusion

• A: Theft of Essence: Healing
  • 3: Theft of Essence: Accuracy/Healing
  • 5: Theft of Essence: Accuracy/Endurance/Healing
  • 5: Theft of Essence: Chance for +Endurance

Level 1: Charged Shot

• A: Superior Vigilant Assault: Accuracy/Damage
  • 3: Superior Vigilant Assault: Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • 7: Superior Vigilant Assault: Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/RechargeTime
  • 7: Superior Vigilant Assault: RechargeTime/PBAoE +Absorb
  • 9: Superior Vigilant Assault: Damage/Endurance/RechargeTime
  • 9: Superior Vigilant Assault: Damage/RechargeTime

Level 2: Siphon Power

• A: Invention: Accuracy

Level 4: Cutting Beam

• A: Ragnarok: Damage
  • 11: Ragnarok: Damage/Recharge/Accuracy
  • 11: Ragnarok: Damage/Endurance
  • 13: Ragnarok: Damage/Recharge
  • 43: Ragnarok: Chance for Knockdown
  • 46: Achilles' Heel: Chance for Res Debuff

Level 6: Siphon Speed

• A: Impeded Swiftness: Accuracy/Slow
  • 15: Impeded Swiftness: Chance of Damage(Smashing)
  • 39: Impeded Swiftness: Accuracy/Endurance
  • 40: Impeded Swiftness: Damage/Slow
  • 45: Impeded Swiftness: Endurance/Recharge/Slow
  • 50: Impeded Swiftness: Range/Slow

Level 8: Hover

• A: Kismet: Accuracy +6%
  • 15: Luck of the Gambler: Defense/Increased Global Recharge Speed
  • 17: Shield Wall: +Res (Teleportation), +5% Res (All)
  • 17: Reactive Defenses: Scaling Resist Damage

Level 10: Disintegrate

• A: Gladiator's Javelin: Accuracy/Damage
  • 19: Gladiator's Javelin: Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • 19: Gladiator's Javelin: Chance of Damage(Toxic)
  • 21: Gladiator's Javelin: Accuracy/Damage/End/Rech
  • 21: Apocalypse: Chance of Damage(Negative)

Level 12: Fly

• A: Blessing of the Zephyr: Run Speed, Jump, Flight Speed, Range/Endurance
  • 13: Blessing of the Zephyr: Knockback Reduction (4 points)

Level 14: Speed Boost

• A: Performance Shifter: Chance for +End

Level 16: Aim

• A: Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control: Chance for Build Up

Level 18: Increase Density

• A: Gladiator's Armor: TP Protection +3% Def (All)
  • 23: Steadfast Protection: Resistance/+Def 3%

Level 20: Lancer Shot

• A: Superior Defender's Bastion: Accuracy/Damage
  • 23: Superior Defender's Bastion: Damage/Recharge
  • 25: Superior Defender's Bastion: Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • 25: Superior Defender's Bastion: Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • 27: Superior Defender's Bastion: Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • 45: Superior Defender's Bastion: Recharge/Chance for Minor PBAoE Heal

Level 22: Transference

• 27: Performance Shifter: EndMod/Accuracy
  • 40: Performance Shifter: EndMod/Accuracy/Recharge

Level 24: Kick

• A: Mako's Bite: Accuracy/Damage

Level 26: Fulcrum Shift

• A: Invention: Accuracy
  • 29: Invention: Accuracy

Level 28: Penetrating Ray

• A: Apocalypse: Damage
  • 29: Apocalypse: Damage/Recharge/Accuracy
  • 31: Apocalypse: Damage/Recharge
  • 31: Apocalypse: Recharge/Accuracy
  • 31: Apocalypse: Damage/Endurance
  • 46: Gladiator's Javelin: Chance of Damage(Toxic)

Level 30: Overcharge

• A: Javelin Volley: Accuracy/Damage
  • 33: Javelin Volley: Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • 33: Javelin Volley: Chance of Damage(Lethal)
  • 33: Bombardment: Damage
  • 34: Bombardment: Accuracy/Damage/Recharge/Endurance
  • 34: Bombardment: Chance for Fire Damage

Level 32: Tough

• A: Unbreakable Guard: Resistance
  • 34: Unbreakable Guard: Resistance/Endurance
  • 36: Unbreakable Guard: Endurance/RechargeTime
  • 36: Unbreakable Guard: RechargeTime/Resistance
  • 43: Unbreakable Guard: Resistance/Endurance/RechargeTime
  • 43: Unbreakable Guard: +Max HP

Level 35: Weave

• A: Shield Wall: Defense/Endurance
  • 36: Shield Wall: Defense
  • 37: Shield Wall: Defense/Endurance/Recharge
  • 37: Shield Wall: Defense/Recharge
  • 37: Luck of the Gambler: Defense/Increased Global Recharge Speed

Level 38: Scorpion Shield

• A: Luck of the Gambler: Defense/Endurance
  • 39: Luck of the Gambler: Defense
  • 39: Luck of the Gambler: Defense/Increased Global Recharge Speed
  • 40: Luck of the Gambler: Defense/Endurance/Recharge

Level 41: Maneuvers

• A: Luck of the Gambler: Defense/Endurance
  • 42: Luck of the Gambler: Defense
  • 42: Luck of the Gambler: Defense/Increased Global Recharge Speed
  • 42: Luck of the Gambler: Defense/Endurance/Recharge

Level 44: Combat Teleport

• A: Rectified Reticle: To Hit Buff/Recharge
  • 45: Rectified Reticle: To Hit Buff

Level 47: Tactics

• A: Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control: To Hit Buff/Endurance
  • 48: Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control: To Hit Buff
  • 48: Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control: To Hit Buff/Recharge/Endurance
  • 48: Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control: Recharge/Endurance

Level 49: Teleport Target

• A: Blessing of the Zephyr: Knockback Reduction (4 points)

Inherents:

Level 1: Vigilance

Level 1: Brawl

• (Empty)

Level 1: Sprint

• A: Celerity: +Stealth

Level 2: Rest

• A: Invention: Endurance Modification

Level 1: Swift

• A: Invention: Flight Speed

Level 1: Hurdle

• A: Invention: Jumping

Level 1: Health

• A: Panacea: +Hit Points/Endurance
  • 46: Preventive Medicine: Chance for +Absorb
  • 50: Miracle: +Recovery

Level 1: Stamina

• 50: Performance Shifter: EndMod

Level 1: Disintegrating

Level 12: Afterburner

Level 49: Quick Form

Edited by Bananiac

• 2 weeks later
On 10/3/2023 at 5:44 PM, Bananiac said:

Ok, I have tried my hand at a first draft for my build.

Usually I am not quite hitting the nail with this, so I post it up for further review. Open for any suggestions to improve it:

I was scrolling down and saw I had missed replies to this.

I would argue that the proc in Transfusion isn't that great because it will be off of a single target, and additional end shouldn't be that much an issue for a Kin. Even if you switched to the other set, the damage proc is only hitting one target. I would at least go 4 slots on it without a proc because the heal really is just that big. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

35 minutes ago, Without_Pause said:

I was scrolling down and saw I had missed replies to this.

I would argue that the proc in Transfusion isn't that great because it will be off of a single target, and additional end shouldn't be that much an issue for a Kin. Even if you switched to the other set, the damage proc is only hitting one target. I would at least go 4 slots on it without a proc because the heal really is just that big. 

Thanks for the tip. When it comes to procs, I am really only going by gut feel, I have no useful understanding of the dos & donts here. So I appreciate these kinds of explanations. 

Will adjust it in the build and just go all-out heals on the power. 

I'll post my FF/Beam Defender build, to share the slotting choices I made for Beam Rifle. Looking at the build, don't trust the Stamina Slotting. I feel like this is correct, but certainly with Kin you could make different choices.

Spoiler

Primary Power Set: Force Field

Secondary Power Set: Beam Rifle

Power Pool: Sorcery

Power Pool: Leadership

Ancillary Pool: Mu Mastery

------------

Level 1:                 Deflection Shield             

(A) Luck of the Gambler - Recharge Speed

(*) Luck of the Gambler - Defense

Level 1:                 Single Shot         

(A) Superior Defender's Bastion - Accuracy/Damage

(*) Superior Defender's Bastion - Damage/Recharge

(*) Superior Defender's Bastion - Damage/Endurance/Recharge

(*) Superior Defender's Bastion - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance

(*) Superior Defender's Bastion - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge

(*) Superior Defender's Bastion - Recharge/Chance of Minor PBAoE Heal

Level 2:                 Charged Shot    

(A) Superior Vigilant Assault - Damage/RechargeTime

(*) Superior Vigilant Assault - Damage/Endurance/RechargeTime

(*) Superior Vigilant Assault - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/RechargeTime

(*) Gladiator's Javelin - Chance of Damage (Toxic)

(*) Explosive Strike - Chance of Damage (Smashing)

Level 4:                 Cutting Beam    

(A) Superior Frozen Blast - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance

(*) Annihilation - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance

(*) Annihilation - Chance of Res Debuff

(*) Bombardment - Chance of Damage (Fire)

(*) Shield Breaker - Chance of Damage (Lethal)

(*) Touch of Lady Grey - Chance of Damage (Negative)

Level 6:                 Mystic Flight      

(A) Blessing of the Zephyr - Knockback Reduction (4 points)

(*) Blessing of the Zephyr - Run Speed, Jump, Flight Speed, Range/Endurance

(*) Blessing of the Zephyr - Run Speed, Jump, Flight Speed, Range

Level 8:                 Insulation Shield              

(*) Luck of the Gambler - Defense

Level 10:               Disintegrate      

(A) Apocalypse - Damage: Level 50+5

(*) Apocalypse - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge: Level 50

(*) Apocalypse - Accuracy/Recharge: Level 50

(*) Apocalypse - Damage/Endurance: Level 50+5

(*) Apocalypse - Chance of Damage (Negative): Level 50

Level 12:               Dispersion Bubble           

(A) Kismet - Accuracy +6%: Level 30

(*) Shield Wall - +Res (Teleportation), +5% Res (All)

(*) Shield Wall - Defense/Endurance: Level 50+5

(*) Shield Wall - Defense: Level 50+5

Level 14:               Repulsion Bolt  

(A) Gladiator's Javelin - Accuracy/Damage: Level 50+5

(*) Overwhelming Force - Damage/Chance of Knockdown/Knockback to Knockdown

Level 16:               Maneuvers        

(A) Reactive Defenses - Defense

(*) Reactive Defenses - Defense/Endurance

(*) Reactive Defenses - Endurance/RechargeTime

(*) Reactive Defenses - Defense/RechargeTime

(*) Reactive Defenses - Defense/Endurance/RechargeTime

(*) Reactive Defenses - Scaling Resist Damage

Level 18:               Spirit Ward        

(A) Preventive Medicine - Chance of +Absorb

Level 20:               Rune of Protection         

(A) Gladiator's Armor - TP Protection +3% Def (All)

(*) Steadfast Protection - Resistance/+Def 3%: Level 30

Level 22:               Lancer Shot       

(A) Absolute Amazement - Stun: Level 50+5

(*) Absolute Amazement - Stun/Recharge: Level 50+5

(*) Absolute Amazement - Accuracy/Stun/Recharge: Level 50+5

(*) Absolute Amazement - Accuracy/Recharge: Level 50+5

(*) Absolute Amazement - Endurance/Stun: Level 50+5

(*) Damage Increase IO: Level 50+5

Level 24:               Penetrating Ray

(A) Superior Vigilant Assault - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance

(*) Superior Vigilant Assault - RechargeTime/PBAoE +Absorb

(*) Superior Vigilant Assault - Accuracy/Damage

(*) Sting of the Manticore - Chance of Damage (Toxic)

Level 26:               Tactics  

(A) Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control - To Hit Buff

(*) Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control - To Hit Buff/Recharge

(*) Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control - To Hit Buff/Recharge/Endurance

(*) Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control - Recharge/Endurance

(*) Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control - To Hit Buff/Endurance

(*) Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control - Chance of Build Up

Level 28:               Piercing Beam  

(A) Annihilation - Accuracy/Damage

(*) Annihilation - Damage/RechargeTime

(*) Annihilation - Accuracy/Damage/RechargeTime

(*) Annihilation - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance

(*) Annihilation - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/RechargeTime

(*) Annihilation - Chance of Res Debuff

Level 30:               Overcharge       

(A) Superior Frozen Blast - Damage/Endurance/Accuracy/RechargeTime

(*) Javelin Volley - Accuracy/Damage/End/Rech: Level 50+5

(*) Javelin Volley - Chance of Damage (Lethal)

(*) Bombardment - Chance of Damage (Fire)

(*) Touch of Lady Grey - Chance of Damage (Negative)

(*) Shield Breaker - Chance of Damage (Lethal)

Level 32:               Damping Bubble              

Level 35:               Charged Armor

(A) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance

(*) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance

(*) Unbreakable Guard - Endurance/RechargeTime

(*) Unbreakable Guard - +Max HP

Level 38:               Power Sink         

(A) D-Sync Conduit (End Mod/Recharge): Level 51

(*) D-Sync Conduit (End Mod/Recharge): Level 51

Level 41:               Assault

(A) Endurance Reduction IO: Level 50+5

Level 44:               Summon Adept

(A) Recharge Reduction IO: Level 50+5

Level 47:               Personal Force Field       

Level 49:               Vengeance        

Level 1: Brawl    

(A) Empty

Level 1: Sprint   

(A) Endurance Reduction IO: Level 50+5

Level 1: Vigilance             

Level 2: Rest      

(A) Interrupt Reduction IO: Level 50

Level 2: Athletic  Run     

Level 2: Swift     

(A) Run Speed IO: Level 50

Level 2: Hurdle 

(A) Jumping IO: Level 50+5

Level 2: Health  

(A) Panacea - +Hit Points/Endurance

(*) Miracle - +Recovery

Level 2: Stamina               

(A) Performance Shifter - Chance of +End

(*) Performance Shifter - EndMod

(*) Endurance Modification IO: Level 50+5

------------

I should note the following:

Because the Defender damage scale is so poor, I have %damage pretty much everywhere (and because of damage type, keep reading). Generally: naturally high recharge attacks are poor choices for %proc, AoE with enough targets will either be 'ok' or 'great' for %damage, IMO. Note that Beam Rifle's attacks all do Energy damage, this tipped the scales towards me putting as much %damage in attacks as I did. Often I am less likely to add as many %damage pieces to attack, even for Defenders.

From concept, this character 'needed' all these attacks. A more optimized build could certainly drop Charged Shot (I prefer to have -Regen from Single Shot, especially on a teamy Defender). For me: The lowest attack will have the ATO I want to be 6-slotted. (here Defender's Bastion)

On my build Charged Shot is holding half of the Vigilant Assault set. I used the recharge ones here, with a couple of %damage pieces. These won't proc all that much, but the chances are not floored.

Cutting Beam isn't the greatest %proc attack, but rates are respectable. It is a non-discriminatory Cone. Annihilation set is giving +Endurance.

Disintegrate is a necessary power. the Level 50 slotting is shown. It could take 3 of the other ATO instead of the very rare set.

Lancer Shot is necessary, as it is the only BR attack that is guaranteed to have a chance to spread Disintegration. I opted for the stun set for my teamy Defender. Note that the spread pseudo-pet also requires a toHit chance to 'stick' to any targets it might spread to.

Penetrating Ray TAs a snipe, there are some good slotting options. I would go for a set bonus to do damage.

Piercing Beam is a narrow cone; it takes some getting used to. I almost always 6-slot Annihilation in it. It isn't worth trying for multi-%proc IMO.

Overcharge is well worth %damage, provided you have Accuracy/ToHit and Recharge.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, tidge said:

Penetrating Ray TAs a snipe, there are some good slotting options. I would go for a set bonus to do damage.

Overcharge is well worth %damage, provided you have Accuracy/ToHit and Recharge.

What du you mean here with TA? Is that somehow related to Penetrating Ray?

And I assume for Overcharge you mean global Acc, ToHit and Recharge, right?

I also heard that you want to avoid slotting of +Recharge into a procced-out power as much as possible, because that would somehow impact the %proc adversely... (although I don't quite get it how that works really...)

What du you mean here with TA? Is that somehow related to Penetrating Ray?

And I assume for Overcharge you mean global Acc, ToHit and Recharge, right?

I also heard that you want to avoid slotting of +Recharge into a procced-out power as much as possible, because that would somehow impact the %proc adversely... (although I don't quite get it how that works really...)

TA is a fat-finger for ITs

In powers where I want %damage, I slot Accuracy as well. Global recharge does not affect %proc, but long recharge powers can tolerate significant slotted Recharge without really hurting %damage..

My rough categories for deciding on %damage (assuming I have already decided to lean into it):

• Attacks that have an inherent recharge of less than 12 seconds should not be counted on for %proc
  • Attacks with inherent between 12-20 seconds can probably reliably %proc, especially if recharge isn't slotted (and Global recharge is present)
  • Attacks  with inherent recharges above 20 are probably worth relying on %damage, slotted recharge doesn't hurt too much
  • Powers with inherent recharges above 90 secs tolerate both recharge and %procs

Getting to the point where I want to lean into %damage is a different sort of calculation. Defenders are excellent candidates for %damage because (a) they get Blaster attacks and (b) The Defender base Damage is poor enough that %damage is often a better return than slotting Damage (if the %damage is reliable). Beam Rifle is one of those sets that because of the  homogeneous damage type I try to mix things up.

• Like 1

• 1 month later