Affinity

Hi all,

It would be great if our toons get some kind of light resistance based on their own offensive powers.

For exemple : Energy or electric blaster could get some resistence against foes that use energy attacks, as the blaster can manipulate the same kind of power, he should resist it a little bit.

What do you think about that ?

• Like 3

A nice idea, but here are a few problems with that.

Thematic:

While in comics, anime/cartoons, and other references, there are a plethora of characters that possess a resistance or even immunity to their element/damage type, there are an equal number that do not enjoy such a benefit. And rarely, some characters are actually vulnerable to their own element/damage type. It all depends on how the character came by his/her/their/its powers. (Case in point, a character named Cheshire Cat [Champions character] can teleport, but takes damage every time anyone other than himself teleports him. There was another character I read about quite some time ago, I can't remember his name or what comic had him, but he wielded fire powers and was also hurt by fire, including using his own on multiple occasions. There was also a character in the Marshall Law series, I think?)

Game Mechanics:

The game already provides characters a way to give themselves damage resist. Melee ATs and the Sentinel AT Armor primary or secondary sets. Those primary or secondary sets also focus on key/signature elements. Add in that we get access to Ancillary/Epic pools that also grant specific element damage resist for most ATs not counting the melee ATs and the Sentinel AT, and a character can already pick up multiple types of keyed damage resist, just not all types are covered. And finally, we have IO sets that possess set bonuses that also grant specific element damage resist.

So, your proposal isn't likely to be implemented. (Maybe the devs will think "Sure!" and do it anyway, but given what we already have, it's not likely.)

Edited by Rudra
Edited to correct "himself" to "him".
  • Thumbs Up 1

This 1000x this!

@Rudra While i appreciate your examples they are obscure and are generally the rarity

OP's request is generally the norm in this genre. 

Usually a fire based character will have some if not complete immunity to fire.

Ice based characters are usually immune to cold

Electric based characters generally absorb electricity

here is why i support OP's idea

Right now most characters have "holes"

toxic holes, psi holes.   etc... 

Instead of holes characters can have weaknesses instead.

For Example

Fire would be immune to fire and be strong against Ice but weak to water.

this could set up a Janken system leading to more strategy gameplay wise and variety buildwise.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?

I'm with Rudra on this one. If you want resistance to your own element on a non-melee character, the epic sets let you double-down on your element and get the respective smashing-lethal-[element] shield. If your archetype doesn't have that element as an epic, certainly advocate for it to be added.

To saiya: if by "weakness" you mean a penalty to defense/resistance to that damage type, no thanks. Especially if it's mandatory.

• Thumbs Up 4

The way the game is designed, you can typically* get some kind of resistance or defense to an elemental offensive power. That's part of the reason why the original Devs created Ancillary Power Pools. During their creation there was a conversation about whether to tie the type of resistance to the type of damage players were doing due to a lot of characters such as the Human Torch or Ice Man, but then the devs decided to keep it open ended and make Ancillary Power Pools so that way players could have more flexibility in their own character concepts. Then expanded the idea to give character options to shore up some weaknesses or add more utility to their characters.

So TLDR, your suggestion was already implemented but in a way that gave players more choice on character design.

Edited by SeraphimKensai
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Saiyajinzoningen said:

This 1000x this!

@Rudra While i appreciate your examples they are obscure and are generally the rarity

OP's request is generally the norm in this genre. 

Usually a fire based character will have some if not complete immunity to fire.

Ice based characters are usually immune to cold

Electric based characters generally absorb electricity

here is why i support OP's idea

Right now most characters have "holes"

toxic holes, psi holes.   etc... 

Instead of holes characters can have weaknesses instead.

For Example

Fire would be immune to fire and be strong against Ice but weak to water.

this could set up a Janken system leading to more strategy gameplay wise and variety buildwise.

I could see a character having a vulnerability to their opposing element if they had a native immunity to their element, but! Yes, you knew there had to be a "but" in there. Your example is in error and only looks at a specific type of character. Look at that New Mutants character that used fire. He was resistant to fire, but he was not vulnerable to ice, cold, or water. Look at the Marvel psychics, many were generally resistant to psi-attacks, but they were not vulnerable to physical. By the same token, many Marvel psychic characters were not any more resistant to psi-attacks than anyone else. Energy blast characters were not any more resistant to others' energy blasts than anyone else. So for every character that can be held up as an example of characters get resistance or immunity to their own element type, you can find another that isn't. And for every character that can be held up as an example of having a vulnerability to their opposite element, you can find at least one that lacks that vulnerability.

Case in point, elemental mages tend to have neither the resistance/immunity nor the vulnerability. Tech characters likewise tend to have neither the resistance nor the vulnerability. In both cases, they can get a resistance by using a supplemental armor spell for the mages or by wearing body armor for the techies. (And even then, those armors are not often keyed to specifically the element those individuals use.) Science characters can have immunity to their element, resistance to their element, nothing to their element, or can even be harmed by using their own element. Same thing with mutations. Naturals like elementals tend to have a resistance or immunity to their own element while suffering a vulnerability to their opposite (edit: , whereas other natural characters had neither a resistance/immunity nor a vulnerability, but were simply not harmed by their own usage of that element). So forcing those on characters makes no sense to me.

Edited by Rudra
  • Thanks 1

Anyone remember the first time doing Maria Jenkins' first mission and found out the demons were not vulnerable to fire based attacks?  I'm not even sure if they could even be hurt at this point, I just remember the first time doing the mission with my fire blaster and noting I couldn't do much.  (I think? It's been years)

On 10/13/2023 at 3:32 AM, PhoenixForce said:

Hi all,

It would be great if our toons get some kind of light resistance based on their own offensive powers.

For exemple : Energy or electric blaster could get some resistence against foes that use energy attacks, as the blaster can manipulate the same kind of power, he should resist it a little bit.

What do you think about that ?

https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Sentinel

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.