The Fall Guy (2024)

Fresh off a rose-tinted megahit and a top-10 single, Ryan Gosling keeps the Kenergy-fuelled himbo ride going partnered up with Emily Blunt...

...there's not a huge amount in common with the original Saturday teatime favourite - though I suspect ol'bag-of-hammers-face himself Lee Majors will show up, and maybe Heather Thomas as well.

And yes, looks hugely derivative, but nonetheless a whole bunch of popcorn-munchable fun, not least murdering Tom Cruise an unnamed but ultradynamic permaposing action star who shall remain nameless, and parodying Blunt's own Edge Of Tomorrow. See you there?

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

Hilarious.

Generally I prefer Quiet Gosling paired with Winding-Refn, but this looks like some harmless action fun. Will watch, eventually.

Semi-related, I noticed the other day that there is a Quantum Leap re-boot out in the wild at the moment, and now we've got a Fall Guy movie. What's next? A Pretender re-boot? 🤣

Edited by InvaderStych

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

1 hour ago, InvaderStych said:

A Pretender re-boot? 🤣

I'm betting on seeing Manimal and/or Greatest American Hero reboots at some point.

Sadly, I think real life has overtaken Automan by some way... any other terrible stuff they could dig out from the vaults?

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

Having read up on The Pretender, kinda sounds like a darkside version of Joe 90... not that a show about reprogramming a kid didn't have some dark moments.

And yes, that would be quite a cool one for Joe Cornish to take on as his next kid-friendly action project.

(In case this is region-locked: this is the Joe 90 opening titles and groovy 60s music...)

5 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

Having read up on The Pretender, kinda sounds like a darkside version of Joe 90...

Heh. Well we have a long tradition of "borrowing" from UK Television over here in the States. And I do mean, long. U.S. TV Classic Sanford and Son, for example, was based on the UK show Steptoe and Son. Would not be surprised if the tradition goes further back than that though.

6 hours ago, Sir Paladin said:

Yes please!!!

Heh. As late 90s network TV series go it was actually pretty solid. Maybe a bad example. 🙂 I certainly remember watching it with the lady-friend of the time. I remember wanting to know more about The Centre and less "Monster of the Week."  Late 90s was sort of a touchstone for TV series in that way. Lots of shows trying to go for long-form (multi-season) story arcs, but the audience wasn't quite ready for it at the time. Millennium was one of my favorites of that era (probably a toss up between that and DS9, which started a bit earlier), and it was widely critiqued for being too continuous and requiring the viewer to watch every episode to keep up with the story.

Of course now ... totally different landscape.

... but please, for the love of all that is sane, if anyone working in production/development reads this, DO NOT REBOOT MILLENNIUM.

There is only one Lance Henriksen.

Edited by InvaderStych
formatting
  • Like 1

Not gonna lie, it got my attention.  Never watched the original series so I don't have any nostalgia taint.

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, High Beam Prime (someone else has her non OG name)

On 11/6/2023 at 10:03 AM, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

I'm betting on seeing Manimal and/or Greatest American Hero reboots at some point.

Sadly, I think real life has overtaken Automan by some way... any other terrible stuff they could dig out from the vaults?

Fun Fact: My Uncle and Magnum both looked alike back then, so that's probably why I watched it as much. One day he shaved his mustache and little me was NOT having it. "Who TF is this stranger?!?" 😛

• Haha 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

10 hours ago, WanderingAries said:

Fun Fact: My Uncle and Magnum both looked alike back then, so that's probably why I watched it as much. One day he shaved his mustache and little me was NOT having it. "Who TF is this stranger?!?"

My Dad was "...basically Vultan."

"Who?"

"From Flash Gordon. Brian Blessed, TALKS LIKE THIS ALL THE TIME."

"Nah..."

Then when they met him, they kinda got the idea. Until he lost the beard for a while, which was... just wrong. So I know how you feel.

On 11/6/2023 at 8:36 AM, InvaderStych said:

What's next? A Pretender re-boot? 🤣

I've been begging for that for years.  Something that has an end game in mind, not wanderings and ramblings that look like they're building to something spectacular only to end in a movie with a near mystical ending.

On 11/7/2023 at 6:40 PM, WanderingAries said:

Fun Fact: My Uncle and Magnum both looked alike back then, so that's probably why I watched it as much. One day he shaved his mustache and little me was NOT having it. "Who TF is this stranger?!?" 😛

Much the same story here.  My uncle was strikingly similar, and my sister went nuts over the similarity, though my uncle did sport a well-groomed beard with the mustache. 

On 11/6/2023 at 10:03 AM, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

Manimal was cool, but I'm not sure I'd be down for a reboot.  Now the Greatest American Hero they actually did start building a sequel, but something fell through.  My understanding was that the suit was to be passed to a girl.  I'd really like to see a proper continuation.  In the series, an episode revealed that Ralph was not the first to have a suit, or an FBI sidekick.  The older versions had one last adventure supporting Ralph, and then the aliens took them away, presumably for their reward.  I'd like to see that happen for Ralph and wife before the actors die, giving rise to new characters.  One change I'd make though:  New hero doesn't lose the book, but damages it, so that its computer is glitching and one is never quite sure all the instructions are there, in the right order, and accurate.  Getting two or more instructions crosswired with each other could have hilarious complications.

As to the Fall Guy, I did watch the original show, and other than a stunt man doing a bounty hunter-esque mission, this doesn't really feel like the show.  But it does look fun, so I'll probably watch it.

Since they're already doing similar stuff, I wouldn't mind seeing a live action MASK.

• Thanks 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

1 hour ago, WanderingAries said:

Since they're already doing similar stuff, I wouldn't mind seeing a live action MASK.

You may yet get your wish.  The Hasbro Cinematic Universe is an idea with an 8 year incubation, and Transformers: Rise of the Beasts appears to be the first result of that.  It has previously been stated, years back, that they wished to have M.A.S.K. co-exist in the HCU alongside G.I.Joe and other properties.

14 hours ago, Techwright said:

they wished to have M.A.S.K. co-exist in the HCU alongside G.I.Joe and other properties.

They already kinda did that with the last Transformers I think. I forget which one, but they did a post credit GIJ tie-in.

• 3 weeks later
6 hours ago, Voltor said:

Well they could always dig up and reboot: Street Hawk and Super Force

I wouldn't mind if they tried to reboot Forever Knight, never did like how they ended that series.....

I have a whole stack of DVDs of those - all the freak-of-the-week smouldery-vampy-detective series.

It was a whole subgenre for a while: Forever Knight, Moonlight, Blood Ties (the books are much better), and of course, Lost Girl.

Any I missed that I need to check out?

Plus the Nic Cage-produced Dresden Files, which made a few changes from the books, but captured the spirit of it fairly well - and told some great original stories.

It had one imaginatively nasty episode - pushing the limits of what you can do on TV - about the Hand Of Glory...

On 12/1/2023 at 5:39 AM, Voltor said:

Well they could always dig up and reboot: Street Hawk and Super Force

I wouldn't mind if they tried to reboot Forever Knight, never did like how they ended that series.....

Need a proper reboot of Airwolf before Street Hawk.

If they're going to redo Forever Knight to undo that ending, then they need to also get The Highlander going  (and The Pretender, as I think of it) and change/properly wrap their stories.

• Like 1

Well Highlander is slated for total reboot.   Adrian Paul (Duncan Macleod) as far as I recall enjoyed the TV series but the movie Endgame left him less then thrilled,  and Highlander 5 the Source really soured him.  HL5 was so bad it skipped theaters, premiered on Syfy channel, was meant to start a trilogy and has been abandoned.   There are tales that teh script that was used to get him to agree to do the movie was changed to what was used and that movie is a sore spot to all involved.

Endgame finally gave us Duncan vs Connor, but it was a suicidal Connor that wanted to die and basically committed "Suicide by Duncan" so that their combined power could defeat the movie villain

As to Forever Knight, too much time has passed for the original cast to do more then make cameos. It needs to be a total reboot.

For Airwolf, that would also be a total reboot,  and I would hope they would keep the espionage theme that Season 1 had rather then degrade the show to villain of the week gettting blasted by Airwolf.   Two of my favorite episodes were when one of the designers of Airwolf made Red Wolf aka Airwolf 2 and we get an aerial battle between the two.  My otehr favorite was the episode where the main creator of Airwolf left preprogrammed instructions in Airwolf's computers to make it go on a deadly rampage. A literal ghost in the machine

Also let's get a proper Knight Rider reboot, disregard movies Knight Rider 2000 and especially 2010, and the 2008 reboot

Edited by Voltor
  • Like 1

25 alts with all the badges!

18 hours ago, Voltor said:

Also let's get a proper Knight Rider reboot, disregard movies Knight Rider 2000 and especially 2010, and the 2008 reboot

In the era of companies racing to develop gen-AI, loads of people experimenting with autonomous agents in simulations, and self-driving vehicles a Knight Rider reboot could take on a quite different tone than the original. Could be interesting, but could also be phoned-in and lean too much on the nostalgia factor for my taste.

13 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

I can't wait until AI can accurately simulate actors.

I'm hoping for a couple of more seasons of ST:TOS.

It's not that far off now. Best example technically was the recent Indy movie (talking about the recreation of the younger Jones, not necessarily the plot, though I was pretty happy with it by the end.)

Question is... do you want to? Pulling that out into another thread...

On 12/2/2023 at 11:48 PM, Techwright said:

Need a proper reboot of Airwolf before Street Hawk.

If they're going to redo Forever Knight to undo that ending, then they need to also get The Highlander going  (and The Pretender, as I think of it) and change/properly wrap their stories.

I've actually been going back and watching all of the Highlander TV series on Tubi. The show stand up remarkably well in the story telling department. I'm really enjoying it. I pretend the movies don't exist.

• Thumbs Up 1

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

On 12/4/2023 at 2:38 PM, Frostbiter said:

I pretend the movies don't exist.

I pretend everything other than the first one exists. The first one is worthy.

Because, apart from anything else... this.

• Like 2