A.I. companions for astronauts

Techwright

Has no one at the various space commands seen 2001?  Or played Portal?  I have a bad feeling about this.

It can only be attributable to human error. -HAL 9000

“Science Has Validated Your Birth Mother’s Decision To Abandon You On A Doorstep.” -GLaDOS

https://www.space.com/astronauts-artificial-intelligence-companions-deep-space-missions

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Techwright said:

Has no one at the various space commands seen 2001?  Or played Portal?  I have a bad feeling about this.

It can only be attributable to human error. -HAL 9000

“Science Has Validated Your Birth Mother’s Decision To Abandon You On A Doorstep.” -GLaDOS

https://www.space.com/astronauts-artificial-intelligence-companions-deep-space-missions

d52352c6e3aff68b58a8ae76944320472fe9b22e

• Like 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

it'll be great - for lonely people, the elderly (see prior), and case in point - provides a rich interactive that evolves, or can educate you, tell you stories, and (if allowed to) tasks groups of itself to better understand you, and even act as your proxy.

my only hope is that we create laws not to just stop machines taking our jobs, which they absolutely will, is that those laws wrap and forbid very explicitly and tightly any enslavement of sentience... because we, humans, will try.

we will (likely) try to make something far greater than us our slaves.  and should be damned as slavers should we try.  i can think of no greater betrayal of creation.

Edited by honoroit

I can't help but feel like those AI are just going to turn into therapists. Even odds for if they get turned into sex therapists or not.

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

2 hours ago, Luminara said:

You're questioning whether the horniest species in the universe will create AI sex therapists?

Not even for a minute.

1697401259-20231015.png

Edited by Frostbiter
  • Haha 2

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

21 hours ago, Techwright said:

I have a bad feeling about this.

Ever see the Andromeda TV series?  There was an episode or possibly a mini-arc, where the captain of a ship, (which all have AI and associated avatars), fell in love with said AI, (or was it the other way around)?  I'm also thinking of the 2009 film "Moon" where the AI robot did serve as a companion, but also 

Spoiler

intentionally misled Sam Rockwell's character...

19 hours ago, honoroit said:

it'll be great - for lonely people, the elderly (see prior), and case in point - provides a rich interactive that evolves, or can educate you, tell you stories, and (if allowed to) tasks groups of itself to better understand you, and even act as your proxy.    That's fine, so long as they stop at the NS-4 model and never advance to the NS-5 model.

my only hope is that we create laws not to just stop machines taking our jobs, which they absolutely will, is that those laws wrap and forbid very explicitly and tightly any enslavement of sentience... because we, humans, will try.   The more the discussions grow about the rapid expansion of robots, A.I. and what it means to workers jobs, the more I feel that the storyline of superhero Magnus: Robot Fighter will began to feel meaningful if ever brought to the screen.

we will (likely) try to make something far greater than us our slaves.  and should be damned as slavers should we try.  i can think of no greater betrayal of creation.

3 hours ago, biostem said:

Ever see the Andromeda TV series?  There was an episode or possibly a mini-arc, where the captain of a ship, (which all have AI and associated avatars), fell in love with said AI, (or was it the other way around)?  I'm also thinking of the 2009 film "Moon" where the AI robot did serve as a companion, but also 

Hide contents

intentionally misled Sam Rockwell's character...

Yep, saw the first half of the series Andromeda before the TV station in my area started messing with the timing.  While I was initially upset, when I started learning details of the latter half of the total series, I feel I might have been dropped off right before it jumped the shark.  Still loved the first parts, though.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I agree that AI is getting too smart. My workout app suddenly started quantifying my progress in turkeys lifted...like it knows why I've bumped up my sets. My app shouldn't know I'll be eating mounds of turkey in two days yet...

Screenshot_20231121-083441_JEFIT.jpg

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior

6 minutes ago, Skyhawke said:

11-facts-about-bob-belcher-bobs-burgers-1692310560.jpg

You beat me to that. I had to sort through a large amount of hairstyle photos. 😆

• Haha 1

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

• 3 weeks later
On 11/16/2023 at 11:20 PM, honoroit said:

it'll be great - for lonely people, the elderly (see prior), and case in point - provides a rich interactive that evolves, or can educate you, tell you stories...

See Harry Harrison's "I Always Do What Teddy Says." Largely forgotten sf short from when HH wrote literate, thought-provoking stuff (such as "The Streets of Ashkelon") and not reams of bad comic-book drafts.

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com