Teleportal question

cranebump

First: I read the TP guide, below. Maybe I missed what I'm looking for, but here is my issue:

Tested to see if portal/destinations were linked. 

image.png.a457ba3243d684a2a74976db74b7a993.png

It appears they are?

But then when I go "live:"

image.png.88ce04ed3926a367eb64d1a510c037e5.png

I deleted the original small portal and tried a second one. No dice. Also switched portal types:

image.png.b0ae80fd8efadb11eefd7eb7280eb066.png

Same thing.

I'm pretty sure I've used these rings for normal TP egress on a different base, and everything was fine. I must be doing something wrong here, but I'm not sure what.

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

These things can always be so finicky.  🙂  

A couple possible things to check....

• Do you have Tech beacons matched to a Tech portal?  Or Magic beacons to a Magic Portal?  Tech beacons do not work with Magic portals and vice versa.
  • Are the beacons you've placed lead to zones your character can go to?  I spent HOURS trying to figure out this exact issue when my HERO was placing Villain beacons and I couldn't figure out why the Villain zones weren't showing!  ...because I couldn't go there anyway, obviously, but they were in fact working.  I just I forgot I wasn't on a Vigilante/Rogue/Villain.  LOL  😄 
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, cranebump said:

First: I read the TP guide, below. Maybe I missed what I'm looking for, but here is my issue:

Tested to see if portal/destinations were linked. 

image.png.a457ba3243d684a2a74976db74b7a993.png

It appears they are?

But then when I go "live:"

image.png.88ce04ed3926a367eb64d1a510c037e5.png

I deleted the original small portal and tried a second one. No dice. Also switched portal types:

image.png.b0ae80fd8efadb11eefd7eb7280eb066.png

Same thing.

I'm pretty sure I've used these rings for normal TP egress on a different base, and everything was fine. I must be doing something wrong here, but I'm not sure what.

What alignment is your builder. A full blue cannot access red zones and a full red cannot access blue zones 

1 hour ago, PotatoLove said:

What alignment is your builder. A full blue cannot access red zones and a full red cannot access blue zones 

Good point. He's full blue. I'll change alignment and see if that's the problem. Thank you.

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

• 1 month later

I was having a similar problem and what helped me in the end was making sure the beacons were wall mounted and the portal was floor mounted, when i had the portal flush on the wall over the beacons it stopped working.

• Retired Community Rep
11 hours ago, palateswap said:

I was having a similar problem and what helped me in the end was making sure the beacons were wall mounted and the portal was floor mounted, when i had the portal flush on the wall over the beacons it stopped working.

That...shouldn't happen. There should be no difference in performance if the teleporter is over the beacons, whether flush to the wall or any other way. I routinely place my teleporter next to the wall, (tho attachment is set to floor) or the teleporter is even partly buried, and all the beacons are buried in the floor or behind the wall, and I've never had an issue with a teleporter working, ever.  Some things I have seen that do interfere:

• Beacons are too far from the teleporter, especially if other teleporters are nearby. The beacons end up not knowing where to attach.
  • Beacons are of a different origin than teleporter
  • Beacons are there but due to alignment, can't be seen (as stated above)
  • (rare and they think they fixed this when PvP was introduced): beacons are being interfered with by another teleporter, such as medical or even the AE rez pad. (It can't be used as a teleporter, but apparently still has a little bit of teleporter programming tied to it, because it will sometimes interact strangely if other teleporters are nearby)

If you have the problem you just described again, please give me a DM in game @Dacy, and let me come see it.

-Dacy

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

8 hours ago, Dacy said:

That...shouldn't happen. There should be no difference in performance if the teleporter is over the beacons, whether flush to the wall or any other way. I routinely place my teleporter next to the wall, (tho attachment is set to floor) or the teleporter is even partly buried, and all the beacons are buried in the floor or behind the wall, and I've never had an issue with a teleporter working, ever.  Some things I have seen that do interfere:

• Beacons are too far from the teleporter, especially if other teleporters are nearby. The beacons end up not knowing where to attach.
  • Beacons are of a different origin than teleporter
  • Beacons are there but due to alignment, can't be seen (as stated above)
  • (rare and they think they fixed this when PvP was introduced): beacons are being interfered with by another teleporter, such as medical or even the AE rez pad. (It can't be used as a teleporter, but apparently still has a little bit of teleporter programming tied to it, because it will sometimes interact strangely if other teleporters are nearby)

If you have the problem you just described again, please give me a DM in game @Dacy, and let me come see it.

-Dacy

I see, the solution I came upon could have been a placebo and the problem was something else, but it was the thing that seemed to work. I have three teleportals in a row very close to each other, one of them seemed to work wall mounted but the other two wouldnt until I moved them off the wall. Perhaps the detection got confused with so many portals and beacons in close proximity. Maybe I'll see if I can break em again and show you.

Edit: Oh by wall mounted I mean collision set to wall, if that makes a difference.

Edited by palateswap
  • Thumbs Up 1

Since it has apparently been a couple of days, this obviously isn't the problem but... sometimes teleporters won't recognize beacons simply because the base/editor needs to be reset. Exit the editor, exit the base, maybe even go so far as to exit the game. Come back in a bit and voila... it suddenly works. The old "turn it off then turn it back on again" solution.

Apparently not the issue here but I figured it should be mentioned, just in case.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

FWIW, I usually embed the beacon invisibly in the wall behind the portal, and I've had no issues other than with the usual fussy bits.

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

Same issue. I've left the base and teleported back in, as well as closed the game completely and booted it back up. However, it still doesn't work. I've tried replacing the arcane teleport with other arcane-specific portals, but none of them work. I've included a link to an unlisted video showing my exact issue.

• Retired Community Rep

Looks to me very much as though you are a pure hero? You can't see destinations to villain side when you're pure hero. But they're there, they're attached, and if a villain or rogue or even a vigilante came it, I bet they could see and use the portals. I'd be happy to come confirm!

-Dacy

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, heyedwin said:

Same issue. I've left the base and teleported back in, as well as closed the game completely and booted it back up. However, it still doesn't work. I've tried replacing the arcane teleport with other arcane-specific portals, but none of them work. I've included a link to an unlisted video showing my exact issue.

Dacy beat me to it but she is correct. He is a hero attempting to access a villain teleport. Nothing is goin to show up.

@Etched

17 minutes ago, Dacy said:

Looks to me very much as though you are a pure hero? You can't see destinations to villain side when you're pure hero. But they're there, they're attached, and if a villain or rogue or even a vigilante came it, I bet they could see and use the portals. I'd be happy to come confirm!

-Dacy

Thanks.

• Like 1