Radiation Emission: Debuff Toggle Buttons Switch???

Frozen Burn

It's been a while since I've played my Rad Defender or Corruptor, but both have this issue:

It seems the button for Radiation Infection (-Def, -ToHit) and Enervating Field (-Dmg, -Res) have swapped.  

image.jpeg.757af0e07a29750222ade9e4343a2351.jpeg   This button is SUPPOSED to be for Radiation Infection, but it is casting Enervating Field. 

It has the Shield and Crosshairs with the downward arc below to show it's a -Def and -ToHit debuff so it's supposed to go with RI - but hovering over it in-game, it says it's "Enervating Field" and it actually casts EF.  

image.jpeg.15182ccd06cd94feee856a5e1e42895e.jpeg   This Button is SUPPOSED to be Enervating Field, but it's casting Radiation Infection. 

It has the Damage symbol with the downward arc signifying it's a Damage Debuff so it's supposed to go with EF - but hovering over it in game, it says it's "Radiation Infection" and it actually casts RI.

I searched the forums for this issue but found no mention... was there an intentional swap?  Or is this truly a bug? 

Can we get this fixed and switched back?  This really hurts my brain from looking at all these button symbols over the years and knowing them, but then trying to reverse these two in my brain so i cast the power I want - owies on the noodle!  😄  

Edited by Frozen Burn
  • Like 1

• 1 month later

This is very confusing to me.

The icons for RI and EF always were the "swapped" options, weren't they? I want to say it has been this way since Issue 5 at least. archive.paragonwiki.com shows those swapped icons.

So it is not so much "switching back". But "switching".

It looks like I27P7 just switched the icons. Throwing 20 years of habits away.

I suppose it makes sense from a consistency perspective, but it's going to take a while to get used to.

3 hours ago, nihilii said:

This is very confusing to me.

The icons for RI and EF always were the "swapped" options, weren't they? I want to say it has been this way since Issue 5 at least. archive.paragonwiki.com shows those swapped icons.

So it is not so much "switching back". But "switching".

It looks like I27P7 just switched the icons. Throwing 20 years of habits away.

I suppose it makes sense from a consistency perspective, but it's going to take a while to get used to.

I remember playing my Rad Defender all the way up to shutdown and never having this issue.  I always was able to cast the correct power by just looking at the button - and you know you cast the right power as they both have distinctly different animations too.  

Something happened during Homecoming that the switch happened.  It wasn't until recently that I started leveling up my remake of a Rad Corr and Rad Defender that I noticed this.

I'm glad they fixed this in the latest release, though.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Clearly one of us has a false memory.

But I'm left to wonder: why would archive.paragon.wiki show the icons I remember for RI and EF?

https://archive.paragonwiki.com/wiki/Radiation_Emission

But then I found this video from 11 years ago:

...where at 3:45, we can see him hover over then activate EF and RI with the icons you remember.

So you were right and I was wrong. I'll be damned!

• Thumbs Up 2

The icons were always switched. This post from 2008 on the old forums about a mod to fix inaccurate powers icons, created by some nut who must be obsessed with them, mentions it specifically:

https://web.archive.org/web/20120905043625/http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?t=122519

The player in the video @nihilii posted is actually using this mod.

Edited by Vanden
  • Like 1

Knowing how the set plays from waaaaaay back on live,( I had a rad/rad defender named Vilka Patri on Victory), I always cast RI first, then EF.

I got used to them being improperly assigned icon pictures in the power tray.

Now they appear to be corrected, to match what the power does with the icon representation. But long time players are going to be confused, as I was today, until I get used to this change.

Bravo we've corrected a long time error, but it will require some getting used to on my part.

• Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty