NCSOFT & Homecoming License Announcement

33 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Just to clarify:

Yes thank you, I was clear on that point. Also on this one.

3 hours ago, Homecoming said:

Are there any financial implications?
Yes, we anticipate that:

1. Our overheads will increase slightly to keep up with our commitments as a licensee.

So, the cost goes up, though the model doesn't change. (While they aren't "fees" it's effectively the same thing.) 

Others have pointed out on Discord that this change..

1. Allows Homecoming to pursue better hosting options now that we need not rely on server farms that don't ask too many questions, and

2. Lets the HC devs know what will and will not piss off NCsoft so they aren't walking on eggshells.

And that's about all that really changes.

Edited by kwsapphire
  • Like 3

Coloden.png

This is fantastic news and congrats to the entire team for the continued push. Apologies for being naive but this agreement doesn't give the team any of the content files right? Ie So they have access to the content of the zones, 3D models, Character models, animations etc etc? This is so we can operate without the fear of being shut down?

Again great news.

O M effing G !!

What a result for that 4 years of hard work and labour of love by the Score team.

Congratulations Homecoming and players. You have proven my love for you.

Even NC has a spot of hardcore redemption with this move.

17 minutes ago, kwsapphire said:

And that's about all that really changes.

Now you don't have to be a law-breaking, anarchistic, punk-pirate to play your favorite game.

So, I guess I need to find some additional outlet for throwing off the shackles of The Man.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Microphone 1

I'm a bit confused. Kudos to the HC team for this but I thought Homecoming was a hacked version of COH and didn't have any connections to the original owners/company. Obviously, I was wrong lol. I was going to ask someone to explain this more in layman's terms so I could understand better, but I think I get it. Like I said, I always thought this was just a hacked version of the game and there was no relationship with NCSOFT. Guess that was just my bad for assuming. I'll just continue to be grateful that my favorite game is back and I get to play it. 😁

Love you guys at HC! Thanx a million for everything! Donating to help keep COH HC going is some of the best money I've ever spent! 

• Like 1

Honestly, I'm shocked to see this finally happen.  I'd given up on the idea of getting a license from NC Soft.  And yet, like a re-occurring super villain, here it returns and shows its face, even when there was no way it could have survived.

Also red side best side.

• Like 3
  • Moose 1

Congratulations, HC Team.  I guess now we'll be calling you the City Council.  This is fantastic news.

You can be a good man, the best man in the world...  But there will always be somebody who hates a good man.

18 minutes ago, St Anger said:

I'm a bit confused. Kudos to the HC team for this but I thought Homecoming was a hacked version of COH and didn't have any connections to the original owners/company. Obviously, I was wrong lol. I was going to ask someone to explain this more in layman's terms so I could understand better, but I think I get it. Like I said, I always thought this was just a hacked version of the game and there was no relationship with NCSOFT. Guess that was just my bad for assuming. I'll just continue to be grateful that my favorite game is back and I get to play it. 😁

Love you guys at HC! Thanx a million for everything! Donating to help keep COH HC going is some of the best money I've ever spent! 

As I understand it: Leaked, not hacked. Someone gave the i25 server code to someone right after the servers shut down, and there have been secret copies of that server popping up ever since. Which NCsoft would demand be taken down every time they were discovered. There was no official relationship with NCsoft, but the Homecoming team was working to secure such a relationship since the launch of the HC servers, it appears. And now a relationship has been secured. 

• Like 1
  • Staff of Aesculapius 1

Coloden.png

11 minutes ago, kwsapphire said:

As I understand it: Leaked, not hacked. Someone gave the i25 server code to someone right after the servers shut down, and there have been secret copies of that server popping up ever since. Which NCsoft would demand be taken down every time they were discovered. There was no official relationship with NCsoft, but the Homecoming team was working to secure such a relationship since the launch of the HC servers, it appears. And now a relationship has been secured. 

Thanx a million! That definitely helps me understand more. 👍

• Like 1

I am going to ask outright because I think some people would like to know: does the licence agreement require, or indeed permit, HC to defend or protect the licence, for example by requesting other extant servers not affiliated with them to cease and desist operation?

While I think it's a good thing that you have successfully protected Homecoming, it would be a great shame to see other smaller servers suffer as a consequence.

Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern King Solar Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Peacebringer Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas