Is there anything Ice Control can be paired with to make it awesome?

Damoklese

So ive always wanted an ice controller but every time ive made one ive lost interest once I hit that point where the damage falls off and you start to feel like you need either a lot more damage or a lot more hard control.  I inevitably give up and move on to other alts at that point.

Id really like an ice controller though.  Does anyone have a pairing with Ice Control that make it feel more solo friendly?  Or just that you generally feel is the "best" route to go when playing Ice Control?

i have an ice/ice/ice that i play with on the test server, it’s quite squishy therefore definitely best suited for team play, however arctic air + chilling embrace with lots of procs is good, the damage isn’t too bad and the -recharge and slow powers seem to compliment each other well

i wouldn’t choose it for solo as it’s very endurance heavy and feels more of an AoE combo

/fire or /energy would be my pick for solo as they’re the best for ST damage

• Thumbs Up 1

Ice / ice / ice is perhaps the most iconic pairing and it's functionally quite effective. It can be built squishy, but it can also be built to be fairly tough. If you do a browser search for "ice / ice / ice" in the following thread ...

you'll find a build and some data and notes on how the provided build performed in a bit of benchmark testing. I played that build for a while on the live servers and after getting incarnates moderately built up (plus with passive and clicky accolades, but no amps or temps used) it did consistently well as a tank replacement for teams when handling AVs and EBs in +4x8 ITFs and other content (not Recluse in the MLTF, of course). The sheer amount of movement debuffs made it particularly effective at keeping sprinters like Rom in the ITF and Director 11 in Tin Mage moving so slowly that they were easier to fight. The intensity of recharge debuffs inflicted on mobs also helped to keep teammates safer. 

Edit: I'm also including a more recent build that I've only played a bit on the test server. It's an expensive build. Endurance isn't quite handled well yet, either;  endurance concerns clearly lowered DPS and it was still at 298 DPS despite needing to pause attacks sometimes to avoid detoggling. If higher damage is important to you and you'd like to try out an ice / ice / ice dominator then the more recent build may ultimately be preferable for you, even though you'd need to make some of your own tweaks to get it closer to its potential performance ceiling. 

Ice / psi / psi is another iconic pairing that is quite effective because of decent damage and lots of soft control. There are multiple other good assault set pairings, as well. 

Dominator (Ice Control - Icy Assault - Ice Mastery).mbd

Edited by EnjoyTheJourney

Ice / earth was a lot of fun. In exchange for using arctic air and enjoying the smashiness of earth you pretty much need to say a permanent goodbye to your endurance bar. But, it can be worth it. 

At least one other has extolled the virtues of thorny assault, which functions in a broadly similar way to radioactive assault. 

• Like 1

Somewhere on these forums, might have been Oedipus Tex? had a Ice/Sav build that I stole, and it's a monster overall.  I mean, I don't try silly stuff like soloing four star hard mode stuff with it, but that's because I have no interest in such things anyway.  For all I know maybe it can.

• Thumbs Up 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

I have a Ice/Energy (my second main) which is a NPC group killer even that /energy is not AoE focused. I did all kind of solo content with him and still do. Ice provides such a nice control being Ice Patch your main source of incoming damage mitigation. My advice is: chose a secondary with Power Boost, thats why i chose /Energy.  Why? because will maximize the confusion that provides Artic Air, will improve your defense, your holds... everything. 

Jack Frost is one of my favorite pets lightly behind Stone Pet. I take care of Lts and Bosses and he can handle minnions easy.

I respected out of Cold Snap (fear) and didnt take Flash Freeze (sleep) and Chillblain (ST inmob). Those 3 powers are not necessary at all in my opinion. 

Besides /Enrgy other secondaries you can consider with Power Boost is /Ice , / Dark, /Stone and /Sonic. I tried all these secondaries and i would lean to /dark (more AoEish) or /Stone of single target is what you looking for.

You have many choices here and can´t go wrong with any of these.

Good Luck i hope you can find a fun combo to play with. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I will attest by Ice/Psi/Psi. With the stacking -rech, and the two confuse auras keep a lot locked down when not in domination.

Also since Ice strives in melee, psi fits perfectly in that as well as the best options in the melee range attacks for psi, the range attacks are average at best.

• Thumbs Up 1

Psicy Chill - Ice/Psi/Psi | Sive Ni Brielan - Plant/Earth/Fire | Elemental Elder Lord - Earth/Fire/Fire | Selinia Baneheart - Dark/Therm/Fire | Mylia Stenetch - Necro/Dark/Soul | Radiated Shot - Rad/Arch/Mace | Nameless Witch - Storm/Water/Mu | Phantom Racer - Fire/Cold/Scorp | Neera Darkspar - Beam/Temp/Soul | Neera Etra - Dark/SR | Shieldbreaker - Elec/Shield/Mu | Frozen Tombstress Ice/Rad/Ice | Subliminal Darkness - Psi/Dark/Psi | Mirana Darkblade - Katana/Regen/Soul | Máistir Fiach - SoA Huntmaster | Night Reaver - SoA Widow | Sweet Senpai - SoA Bane

I'm not the biggest fan of icy assault despite having an ice/ice/ice Perma Dom. I much prefer ice/earth assault/ice.

You still get power up. You have a lot of AoE and it works great in melee range, tons of mitigation between artic air's confuse, stacking imob between frostbite + mud pots, while continuously keeping mobs on their asses due to knockdown.

Your single target melee attacks do more damage as well, and you are earning sleet on everything.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ice/Savage/Psi 
Is my first vote and suggestion

This is a monster for the easy content of the game, absolute serious stuff in fun factor and diversity, as well effective clear the easy stuff in the game. 

Ice/Earth/Ice , because sleet is freaking amazing and Earth SMASH works great with the Ice Patch and arctic air. 

Ice/Earth/Psi   - double confuse and SMASH 

ice/Thorns/Psi  - double confuse and perhaps the best AoE secondary for Dominators 

Ice / Arsenal --  please wait for this one but it has very good potential , and igniting stuff in the ice patch has got to be UBER