I'm so sad

2 hours ago, lemming said:

I should buy you a pint at some point.

Fremont & Sandy, Prescott & Cully, the mess of 39th & Sandy.

And hopefully you haven't had to do too much driving since Friday night, it's icky and no one knows how to drive.

The scholls ferry tangle, the major intersections set at 120 angles with multiple roads coming in. Portland is just a joy to navigate

• Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, Snarky said:

The scholls ferry tangle, the major intersections set at 120 angles with multiple roads coming in. Portland is just a joy to navigate

Oh right, I don't go to scholls often enough for that bs.  Yea, PDX does like it's 120 multi road.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, lemming said:

Don't hold your breath too long.   Since the devs did answer why this would be a difficult thing to do.  (Pretty sure you weighed in on that thread way back when)

Never said I was holding my breath, and yes, the HC folk said it would be difficult, not impossible.  Their simple and easy fix was the lackluster "name release policy".  Were they to tackle issues such as this to really bring the game up to speed with modern games, tracking and releasing names would be a non-issue.

10 hours ago, Excraft said:

Never said I was holding my breath, and yes, the HC folk said it would be difficult, not impossible.  Their simple and easy fix was the lackluster "name release policy".  Were they to tackle issues such as this to really bring the game up to speed with modern games, tracking and releasing names would be a non-issue.

Very few things in software development are downright impossible, given enough time and resources, that doesn't mean they're all worth doing. Especially when you're working with limited resources, return on investment becomes a major factor. So yeah, it's certainly possible but what else gets pushed to one side in the meantime?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nuclea - Rad/Rad Defender - Defiant - LoonyToons

15 hours ago, Excraft said:

This is something that I sincerely hope gets corrected in the future - names being unique.  Cryptic changed this in their next generation engine after CoH.  They're going to have to do something about this if they want the game to evolve. 

It still boggles my mind that people were so short-sighted to vote against this when Matt Miller brought it up for a vote on the old blue boards of days long gone by.  The arguments against it back then were, "There's only one Superman, one Batman, and one Spider-Man."  Now in the comic books, there are multiple Supermen, multiple Batmen, and a gazillion Spider-Men.  That argument's shot.

• Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, Excraft said:

Eh no thanks. They have more important engineering related things they shoudl be doing. Name release policy is good enough. I'd rather they not waste their precious time on this.

Edited by golstat2003
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

17 hours ago, Frostbiter said:

image-jpg.25342

M.C. Escher Boulevard.

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

The issue is that the name release policy is useless because 50's are protected.  Its not the cat working a toon up in levels nor is it someone "name camping", its the cat with the alt they ran to 50 and essentially don't play any more; sitting in the 1000 slot dustbin.  Or maybe a 50 on a player who no longer plays.  But the bottom line is, the name release policy will never be anything more than a mission statement unless inactive 50's are included.

And that already ignited a firestorm the last time it was posited.

The very bottom of my signature references some of my frustration with this.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

I'd like to apologize to the OP for completely derailing their thread. Sorry @mcbraggart

Edited by Frostbiter

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

2 minutes ago, Snarky said:

Not me. And i am going to hold my breath until you folks start listening…

IMG_0687.jpeg

I heard you, I just don't have any plans to do anything.

• Thumbs Up 1

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

1 hour ago, High_Beam said:

The issue is that the name release policy is useless because 50's are protected.  Its not the cat working a toon up in levels nor is it someone "name camping", its the cat with the alt they ran to 50 and essentially don't play any more; sitting in the 1000 slot dustbin.  Or maybe a 50 on a player who no longer plays.  But the bottom line is, the name release policy will never be anything more than a mission statement unless inactive 50's are included.

And that already ignited a firestorm the last time it was posited.

The very bottom of my signature references some of my frustration with this.

50s should be protected full stop. It's no one's business how little I play my 50 or not. They are 50. They are vets. They should get to keep the name.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

30 minutes ago, Snarky said:

Then you havent R..e..a..l..l..y heard me. Have you?  Holding my breath, that is it!

But can you actually hear someone holding their breath? 🤔

• Microphone 1

Nuclea - Rad/Rad Defender - Defiant - LoonyToons

There has been a lot of good advice on this thread (before it got derailed a bit 😉) to the OP about how to deal with the issue of not having the favored version of one's character name available.  I would add a suggestion to that list - adding a title or the like to the original name.  One of my characters on Live was named Buckeye, but that name (& any reasonable variation like Buck-Eye) wasn't available here on Homecoming.  So I named the character Agent Buckeye & was able to exit the character creator happy (especially since part of the character's background was that he had been an agent of Longbow.)  So adding a title to the preferred name might help the OP to reclaim his desired appellation.

Keep Redside - & Goldside - Alive!

11 minutes ago, golstat2003 said:

50s should be protected full stop. It's no one's business how little I play my 50 or not. They are 50. They are vets. They should get to keep the name.

Nobodies 50 will be renamed if the policy gets turned on. Level 50s are safe and for lower level characters there is a sliding scale grace period to log them in within to keep them from being eligible for the renaming policy. The higher level the character the longer the grace period.

This policy is not active. No one need worry about it until it is announced to be in effect.

• Thumbs Up 1

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

17 hours ago, lemming said:
19 hours ago, Snarky said:

You think that one is weird.  There are some in Portland I have memorized and still look confusing when you approach.  

I should buy you a pint at some point.

Fremont & Sandy, Prescott & Cully, the mess of 39th & Sandy.

And hopefully you haven't had to do too much driving since Friday night, it's icky and no one knows how to drive.

I'm a fan of the mess that is Sholls Ferry/Beaverton Hillsdale. (yes I've been to Portland)

..at least portland intersections can be colorful with lots of helpful signage..

spacer.png

and what are the white things? force fields?

spacer.png

Edited by Troo
  • Like 2

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

27 minutes ago, Troo said:

I'm a fan of the mess that is Sholls Ferry/Beaverton Hillsdale. (yes I've been to Portland)

..at least portland intersections can be colorful with lots of helpful signage..

spacer.png

and what are the white things? force fields?

spacer.png

Just plastic lane markers. Those are there to slap your car silly while you run down a bicyclist.

• Haha 4

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

2 minutes ago, Snarky said:

The only color portland streets have lately is white…

how do the bikes know where to go! so terrible.

• Haha 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

The traffic issues in P-town (heck, Oregon over all) are way too easy for me to get on a rant about. Suffice to say a LOT of issues related to sight and stop distances, approach grades, access management, and drainage/grading are ignored along with an overly optimistic view of driver psychology to get traffic to slow down. Think those skinny streets are bad for regular cars, EMS vehicles have it even worse and now they're all about adding bike lanes all over on already overly crowded substandard width streets. Combine all those ignored factors and it's no wonder why they have so many fatalities among bikes, peds, and vehicles. 

Edited by Go0gleplex