Disappointed with the live devs, see: Martial Assault

Rikis

Back on live, my biggest request on the forums was asking for a Martial Assault set on Dominators. I really wanted to play a Mind/Martial as that fit one of my character's concepts so well. So then when I saw that Martial Assault was an actual thing with i24 and I was ecstatic. Over the moon. But then the disappointment came in. I was expecting a set like Earth Assault, in the sense that it'd be mostly melee with 2, maybe 3 ranged attacks total. Instead, I got the opposite, a Ranged set with only three melee attacks. It broke my heart. I would truly wish that we'd get something similar to Sentinel's Super Reflexes and that we get choices for the T7, 8, and 9 powers and have the option for some more melee attacks. A pipe dream that won't happen, but if only...

I guess my biggest disappointments were that instead of a melee attack, it got Caltrops and since I personally don't care for snipes, it also as a snipe instead of another melee attack. I would have loved to have had Eagles Claw in Martial Assault.

That set needs a rework, I'd actually roll one for pvp if it had cobra strike, crane kick and eagles claw instead of all those awful shuriken attacks. I don't mind 1 or 2 shuriken attacks, but there's 4+ caltrops which is absolute garbage.

I'd like the set to look something like this:

Shuriken throw

Storm Kick

Spinning Kick

Focus Chi

Dragon's Tail

Crane Kick

Crippling Axe Kick

Explosive Shuriken

Eagle's Claw

You could argue that dominators would be in trouble with so many melee attacks but you should be using your control powers to defend yourself anyways. Plus it'd be interesting to have a melee oriented set and makes this set way more interesting.

It's a good set though, a really good one. And I use it as a primarily melee set, unlike a lot of folks who play it. I think it has an even enough split to make people who wanted a ranged or melee secondary happy.

I use it that way, too, but I'd be lying if I said it felt like I was doing it "right".  And, I mean, granted, I do like the Shurikens, too, and wouldn't want to see them go away; Trick Shot is like my favorite power in the whole game now.  The problem the melee side of the set (and the set in general, kinda) has is that they're very skewed towards AoE, especially for a Dominator set.  It's got lots of little semi-AoEs that seem like they've still got End/Rech balance as if they're real AoEs.  When 2/3 kicks are "balanced" around the idea that you're always gonna be hitting 2-3 targets (one of which has trouble even reliably hitting one target sometimes), that's a tad problematic.

It's a good set though, a really good one. And I use it as a primarily melee set, unlike a lot of folks who play it. I think it has an even enough split to make people who wanted a ranged or melee secondary happy.

I use it that way, too, but I'd be lying if I said it felt like I was doing it "right".  And, I mean, granted, I do like the Shurikens, too, and wouldn't want to see them go away; Trick Shot is like my favorite power in the whole game now.  The problem the melee side of the set (and the set in general, kinda) has is that they're very skewed towards AoE, especially for a Dominator set.  It's got lots of little semi-AoEs that seem like they've still got End/Rech balance as if they're real AoEs.  When 2/3 kicks are "balanced" around the idea that you're always gonna be hitting 2-3 targets (one of which has trouble even reliably hitting one target sometimes), that's a tad problematic.

It does suffer problem, I won't lie. Single target is not what it feels best as. My dom is mainly AOEs, so I rely on stranglers, explosive (which needs something badly), and maybe the snipe now. It's nor for everyone, I definitely agree with that, but it works for me.

I don't want ANYTHING to change on this set except correcting some of the damage numbers (explosive shuriken's damage seems far too low for a T9) and some other values (the snipe's damage comes out a second after the animation ends).

That set is one of the most dynamic sets I've ever played. On the private server, I had an Earth/Martial Dom. It was the most fun I had in the game since my Grav/Time, and others have commented dynamic and original every move looked.

The AOE is the best part about the set. Pull everything together, lock them in place with mass immobilize, then Trick Shot -> Explosive Shuriken -> Dragon's Tail. If you have any AOE DoT, like Caltrops with the -Res proc, toss those down and start burning through enemies like they're wet tissue paper.

My friend farmed with a Plant/Martial Dom in the fire farm because of the strong AOE capabilities. Here's a clip.

I don't want ANYTHING to change on this set except correcting some of the damage numbers (explosive shuriken's damage seems far too low for a T9) and some other values (the snipe's damage comes out a second after the animation ends).

That set is one of the most dynamic sets I've ever played. On the private server, I had an Earth/Martial Dom. It was the most fun I had in the game since my Grav/Time, and others have commented dynamic and original every move looked.

The AOE is the best part about the set. Pull everything together, lock them in place with mass immobilize, then Trick Shot -> Explosive Shuriken -> Dragon's Tail. If you have any AOE DoT, like Caltrops with the -Res proc, toss those down and start burning through enemies like they're wet tissue paper.

My friend farmed with a Plant/Martial Dom in the fire farm because of the strong AOE capabilities. Here's a clip.

Definitely agree on the AOE aspects, and Explosive really needs a damage buff (plus the AOE dmg is paltry). My main farming toon is also Plant/Martial with Ice secondary, and it's the fastest farmer I have really. Get them grouped, lock them down/confused, then it's Sleet/Ice Storm/Dragons Tail/Spinning and maybe a Caltrops or two.

You happen to have the build for that plant/martial?

• 1 month later
On 6/20/2019 at 12:48 PM, Waypoint said:

hey Waypoint, I just started one of these last night, dont suppose you ahve some pointers for me? Earth seems a lot of fun but I want to take everything (except the sleep) and thats plain unrealistic. I've run it through Pines a couple of times but have been unhappy with pretty much everything Ive done. 

Edited by rizlazz
words are hard