New mission: Love and Robots

It's been awhile since I used the MA, but I've had this story written for some time. But I've made this as a heroic mission that is sort of an origin story for a red side alt. 

Love and Robots

" Queen Cyborg has been turning ordinary citizens into her robotic slaves. Now she's seeking the scientist that created her. But is she seeking his knowledge to transform more people into cyborgs or something more unsettling? (SFMA Looking for feedback)"

Arc ID 58834

I'd appreciate any feedback.

This one is really good! The player is tasked with hunting down "Queen Cyborg", and the story serves as an origin story for her. It's very plausible and well written; it could have fit right in as a 20-30 arc from Lou Pasterelli or Lars Hansen. It has a custom mob set with quite a few members, all with chess-themed names, bio, and varied powers. There are plenty of named bosses, none of which are too hard. My only gripes are a few itty-bitty spelling errors and a bit of Objective Overload.

Edited by Kyksie

48 minutes ago, Kyksie said:

This one is really good! The player is tasked with hunting down "Queen Cyborg", and hte story serves as an origin story for her. It's very plausible and well written; it ould hae fit right in as a 20-30 arc from Lou Pasterelli or Lars Hansen. It has a custom mob set with quite a few members, all with chess-themed names, bio, and varied powers. There are plenty of named bosses, none of which are too hard. My only gripes are a few itty-bitty spelling errors and a bit of Objective Overload.

Thanks! I'm still going through to fix any spelling errors. (I spent a lot of time doing that but I knew I'd miss a few...guess I gotta recheck my work!)

I appreciate the input!

Made a fascinating discovery!

Spoiler

image.jpeg.899dad6c0e64dcc0f67e1aca784606d4.jpeg

It turns out that caltrops count not just as enemy spawns, but as members of the assigned encounter group. Meaning that if that encounter's completion requirements are set to 'entire group needed to complete' instead of 'only boss needed to complete,' then the fight won't conclude -- and the mission won't progress -- until the caltrops despawn. Since just about every encounter in the arc featured caltrops, this got very confusing until I figured it out. I don't know if this is new or common knowledge or what, I've never seen it happen before. I'd recommend either switching out the encounter parameters to only watching the boss, or taking caltrops out of the powersets, which is probably the quicker solution. I was hunting all over for the fleeing enemies I must have missed, only for the objective to complete a minute later.

And speaking of our buddy King Gold, head to the enemy group he's a part of, right click and hit 'don't auto spawn' so he doesn't accidentally show up again in another encounter. Poor guy's had enough. Solid work either way.

UPS1xkf.png

2 hours ago, Defeat All Snakes said:

That is interesting.  I've been thinking we (meaning anyone but me ha ha) really needs to compile a whole complete list of all the weird ins and out of the AE system like this as we stumble across them.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

9 hours ago, Defeat All Snakes said:

Hide contents

It turns out that caltrops count not just as enemy spawns, but as members of the assigned encounter group. Meaning that if that encounter's completion requirements are set to 'entire group needed to complete' instead of 'only boss needed to complete,' then the fight won't conclude -- and the mission won't progress -- until the caltrops despawn. Since just about every encounter in the arc featured caltrops, this got very confusing until I figured it out. I don't know if this is new or common knowledge or what, I've never seen it happen before. I'd recommend either switching out the encounter parameters to only watching the boss, or taking caltrops out of the powersets, which is probably the quicker solution. I was hunting all over for the fleeing enemies I must have missed, only for the objective to complete a minute later.

And speaking of our buddy King Gold, head to the enemy group he's a part of, right click and hit 'don't auto spawn' so he doesn't accidentally show up again in another encounter. Poor guy's had enough. Solid work either way.

I didn't know that either! That actually explains what I "thought" was lag in a few play tests!

Thanks for the heads up about King Gold. The servers are down for maintenance, but as soon as they're back up I'll fix that! You should only have to beat him up once!

It's great work, kemosabe. I'll feature it in my next batch of short reviews. Check your typos! In particular:

Spoiler

GREAT CAESER's GHOST! (I LOVED that, but it's spelled Ceas--got the two letters transposed.

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

1 hour ago, Kyksie said:

One other little nitpick, it would be nice if there was some explanation for the Thing That Happens in the first mission.

I'm not sure what you mean. What is it?

14 hours ago, cranebump said:

It's great work, kemosabe. I'll feature it in my next batch of short reviews. Check your typos! In particular:

Hide contents

GREAT CAESER's GHOST! (I LOVED that, but it's spelled Ceas--got the two letters transposed.

Yikes. I should have double checked that. But I fixed it now. I also fixed a few minor dialogue quirks and tweaked mission one a bit. 

Edited by d4verman

12 hours ago, d4verman said:

I'm not sure what you mean. What is it?

Spoiler

In the first mission, the player encounters Queen Cyborg robbing a bank, but she's noncombatant; in grand supervillain style, she says "destroy him my minions!" and runs off. However, unless I missed something, there is no explanation for why the player cannot fight her. Being pummeled by heroes is usually non-optional.

On 1/23/2024 at 4:47 AM, Defeat All Snakes said:

Reveal hidden contents

Oh, it's not just caltrops. Give an enemy Time Manipulation and if they get a time field up and then die, well, you're waiting for the mission to end.  Found that out in my very first mission of my very first AE!  Tested it over and over before I spotted what was happening.

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

6 hours ago, Kyksie said:

Hide contents

In the first mission, the player encounters Queen Cyborg robbing a bank, but she's noncombatant; in grand supervillain style, she says "destroy him my minions!" and runs off. However, unless I missed something, there is no explanation for why the player cannot fight her. Being pummeled by heroes is usually non-optional.

Ah, I see what you mean. The idea is supposed to be that she leaves before the player can stop her because the minions are attacking. But her escape won't trigger until the minions are defeated. I did do sort of a fix to that.

Spoiler

I changed it so as soon as you defeat the minions by her it triggers an ambush and more of them run in to attack you. I thought about letting the player fight her and setting her to run off when taking damage. (with the same dialogue) and then using an ambush. I'll have to test it though.)

Edited by d4verman