I'm New and this is going to be a dumb question.

Swiftly

Is there any viable build end game that focuses more on the player for damage, than the pets.  Where the pets are more like a fire/forget dot?

Was thinking something with Robotics but I am sure this probably isn't viable at all... But thought I should ask.

Thanks

Swift

Mastermind self damage is laughably low, unfortunately.

Solo, I generally just leave my pets in bodyguard mode then use my attacks, you yourself don't do much damage, but your pets will attack whatever is attacking you.  On teams, it's a little more complicated, and I find myself switching between offensive and defensive modes pretty regularly.

Note that if you do want to do more damage late game, /storm is an excellent choice, though very endurance heavy.

What this team needs is more Defenders

30 minutes ago, Swiftly said:

Is there any viable build end game that focuses more on the player for damage, than the pets.  Where the pets are more like a fire/forget dot?

Was thinking something with Robotics but I am sure this probably isn't viable at all... But thought I should ask.

Thanks

Swift

Sadly, no.  This is how MMs are designed - the minions ARE your damage.  You controlling them and keeping them alive (along with your teammates) is your primary role.  

If you want your character itself to do any significant damage, you'll have to play a different Archetype.  

Necro might also fit the feeling you are going for just because I think it is now the set that most rewards you actually using your attacks.  All three of your attacks also spawn additional pets and they are pretty handy to have.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, SaxyGuitar said:

Closest thing to self dmg "might" be the Storm secondary. If you consider the storms you summon as you. Like said above.

This.  Likely the most damage output of any MM is going to be something/Storm.  Likely Demons/ or Thugs/Storm.  That's all Storm pretty much is other than the one defense toggle....damage resistance debuffs and damage output, not counting Hurricane and some of the other skippable powers.

But yes, your own personal attacks, even fully procc'd out, are laughable.  I generally do more damage with a fully procc'd CrossPunch from the Fighting Pool than I'll do with any of my primary attacks.

On 1/22/2024 at 9:30 AM, Swiftly said:

Is there any viable build end game that focuses more on the player for damage, than the pets.

What you can do is use a few binds to make the pets more or less "fire and forget":

/bind lalt+lbutton "petcomall goto passive"

/macro Def "petcomall defensive"

The first bind makes it so when you alt-left click, your pets go to the spot you clicked and ignore everything else.  Once they are where you want them to be, click the 'Def' macro button the command should have created, and your pets will enter defensive mode, meaning they will attack anyone that attacks them first.  By using the 2, you simply send your pets where you want, click the button, and they'll take care of themselves.  You can then focus on your support powers if you don't want to micro-manage them so much...

9 hours ago, Swiftly said:

Thanks for all the reply's  Fun game but seems like a steep learning curve. 🙂

It is a fun game, but a Mastermind can be one of the more difficult ATs to learn as well, with all the commands and such.  Starting off on one of those or a Peacebringer/Warshade, or Arachnos Soldier/Widow will make the learning curve that much steeper.  

But Good luck and keep at it!  

• Thumbs Up 1

In general, "Mastermind without pets" is roughly equivalent to "Corrupter, but a bit more fragile, tires out faster, and way, way less damage" or "Defender, but worse at literally everything."

Literally the only thing that petless mastermind still has going for it is that a petless demon mastermind is still the only whip-wielder in the game.  That's it.

The only dumb question IMO is one not asked.  It's how you learn the ins and outs of the game.  😎'

I think you got some good advice here from the others and the only thing I can add is... take your time and learn the Archetype and don't sweat the end game yet.

MMs are my favorite AT.  Ask questions.  If you like keybinds and macros, look into them.  If that's not your bag... you can do just as well with what the game provides.

I have 1 of each Primary at 50 and they all play uniquely different in some capacity and the Secondary you chose plays into that.

Get yourself into tough situations from time to time solo.   The stress of balancing commands and knowing the enemies teaches you things you miss out on learning in a team setting for when you do get in team settings.

I frequently use "All Attack My Target" whether in Defense or Aggressive then let them default afterwards for a bit to Def or Agg before issuing that command again for a different target.

And I also tend to send 3 "Groups" of my pets on certain targets less frequently - but still do.  Such as "All Wolves on Sorcerer" - "All Lioness on other Sorcerer" - "Dire Wolf on Boss".

Tactics to me is as important as a good build... or a build that suits you.

• Like 1