How confident are you that your build is properly slotted?

3 minutes ago, Maelwys said:

I'm sure different people will have different takes on it, but I always looked on "Frankenslotting" as what heppens when you "mix" IOs (e.g. some sets, some basics, whatever) as opposed to using a "Full IO set" (which is nice and clean and surely the the dev-intended "right" way of doing things...)

If it full set slotting were intended we would not be able to slot from multiple sets. It would be a trivial thing to code. And with different bonuses scattered between sets anyone remotely familiar with players, who were optimizing from the get go (I had perma-Hasten in the first month of release of the game), that players would mix and match was all but guaranteed.

The only bit I suspect the devs did not foresee was proc monstering.

6 minutes ago, Erratic1 said:

If it full set slotting were intended we would not be able to slot from multiple sets. It would be a trivial thing to code. And with different bonuses scattered between sets anyone remotely familiar with players, who were optimizing from the get go (I had perma-Hasten in the first month of release of the game), that players would mix and match was all but guaranteed.

The only bit I suspect the devs did not foresee was proc monstering.

I may have missed out a "😜" smiley and/or sarcasm HTML tags in my OP.

(That said, I seem to recall a certain expletive-laden comment from BackAlleyBrawler whilst observing players combining Howling Twilight and Oil Slick during Hamidon raids... we always managed to surprise the devs somehow😇

Edited by Maelwys
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Maelwys said:

I may have missed out a "😜" smiley and/or sarcasm HTML tags in my OP.

(That said, I seem to recall a certain expletive-laden comment from BackAlleyBrawler whilst observing players combining Howling Twilight and Oil Slick during Hamidon raids... we always managed to surprise the devs somehow😇

I've often commented to my fellow D&D players that if you want to find the "gaps" in the rules turn a bunch of min-maxing, rules-lawyering, power gamers loose on the game.  They'll find stuff just as crazy and far more "legit" that the most proficient of Munchkins.

3 minutes ago, Doomguide2005 said:

I've often commented to my fellow D&D players that if you want to find the "gaps" in the rules turn a bunch of min-maxing, rules-lawyering, power gamers loose on the game.  They'll find stuff just as crazy and far more "legit" that the most proficient of Munchkins.

It's a good rule for testing anything. Developers know their own intent and while they may think of some things they want to limit, are not as likely to come up with every avenue players will in exploring the possibilities. I recall one game where we figured out how to make NPCs fight each other--no xp but the loot was worth it.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2024 at 10:18 PM, DougGraves said:

So how confident are you that you have the right amount of END, recharge, ACC, etc. slotted in your powers?  Or do you just go with the idea that more is better and you have slots to burn?

I usually come up with an idea. Then I Mids it and maybe move it to the beta server. 

Then I'll usually lob it into the appropriate sub-forum for people to look at and they'll correctly say things like "Carni, you're going to be GASPING for End all the time". So I'll correct it a bit. Then I'll hit 30 and realise they really, really meant it and spend more slots into fixing it properly and rejigging the build. 

Then, if and when I hit 50 I'll decide if I'm really enjoying the character and if yes I'll go from "mid-priced sets build" to "Winters & purples" version (because usually I make one build or download someone's then cut the dear things out like 5xWinters or 5xPurples. Then I go back and mess around making an expensive version). 

This was pretty much the journey for my Ice / Stone Stalker who is now one of my favourite characters and overtaken the other Stalkers & Scrappers I had.

Edit : I'll also chunk 2c into the "other" debate. I really don't mind how other people build or what they like to do with their builds. As long as you're not doing something like "I have Repel Bubble on my FF at all times and scatter every spawn to the 4 winds" it's all good. 

Also build-wise I agree with Mael. You don't always have to go with pure sets. There's a fun trade to be had between full set slotting, few IOs + procs or just 4 frankenslotting a hold with 4 different Acc/Hold/Recharge IOs so you can save spots for something else. Losing any of those options would be terrible.

Edited by Carnifax
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Maelwys said:

There are an awful awful lot of builds out there with 6-slotted full IO sets and nothing else; some people honestly can't see past "full set = always best".

Eh, I know frankenslotting is a better method a lot of the time, I just like the clean look.  (Or I'm lazy, or both)  Most of my chars can handle themselves well enough.  Though I do appreciate looking over other people's builds.

For some reason, I power gamed TTRPG a lot, but didn't get into it with CoX. 

• Game Master

Hello!

I trimmed* a bunch of posts that were getting increasingly heated.  Some innocent bystanders may have been caught in the trimming if they quoted other parts.

Be excellent to each other!

*And by trimmed I mean hid

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Microphone 1

20 hours ago, GM_GooglyMoogly said:

I trimmed* a bunch of posts that were getting increasingly heated.  Some innocent bystanders may have been caught in the trimming if they quoted other parts.

How confident are you that your thread is properly edited?

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, DougGraves said:

Googly's editing and ban-hammer are fully IO'ed.

Edited by Ironblade

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

9 hours ago, DougGraves said:

Careful.

watchemen-01-review.jpg?strip=all&lossy=

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.