Best way to Badge?

Mentaxus

I love badges and was wondering what was the best and easiest way to go about getting them except PVP. 

Also without having to go to different screens or write things down etc. Is there something that shows you in game or tracks or completes or something? Any help or advice or tips are appreciated.

Welcome the game and badging!!

Your badge menu displays trackers and progress bars for a lot of badges.  There are descriptions of what you need to do to get them.  But you will need to do some research out of the game to find the ones that don't automatically appear as a suggested item to complete.  So, explore the wiki for that.

There are several 3rd party badge trackers out there.  I prefer "Badger":  https://n15g.github.io/badger/.  But you'll have to manually check them off as you go.  And it too gives descriptions for what you need to do to get them.  There is another tracker that you can download and will read your game and record your badge when you earn it... you'll have to search these forums for it.  Can't remember the name or link to it.

Also, downloading the Vidiotmaps map-pack is super useful for finding all the exploration badges and plaques for the history badges.  In the Tools section of the forums, find the City Modder tool and download it and you can install the Vidiot map-pack.

That should get you started.  Some badges are easy, and some are quite hard and may seem downright impossible, but they are all obtainable on all ATs.  Some ATs will have an easier time at some and difficult at others and vice versa for different ATs.  Look through the forums here for tips and tricks and of course, you can always ask here or in-game for help.

There is the global in-game chat channel:  "TorchebearerBadges" that is open to the public to join (even if you're not playing on Torchbearer server) and you can ask questions there.  People are super helpful.  We love our badges and badging!  Good luck!

Edited by Frozen Burn
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Frozen Burn said:

I prefer "Badger":  https://n15g.github.io/badger/.  But you'll have to manually check them off as you go.

Badger does have the capability to read one's log files and import the badges one has. I wrote a guide for it here:

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/11333-new-badge-tracker/page/7/?tab=comments#comment-206763

It can be a little finicky and may require a little patience to get working properly, but it's not too hard to run through the steps and import one's badges.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Mentaxus said:

I did the vidiot map thing. Are badges shared across toons if they are the same faction?

Negative, Ghost Rider.  Only certain AE-related badges are shared across the account, and Paragon Studios used an extremely janky hack to do it.

19 hours ago, Mentaxus said:

I love badges and was wondering what was the best and easiest way to go about getting them except PVP. 

Also without having to go to different screens or write things down etc. Is there something that shows you in game or tracks or completes or something? Any help or advice or tips are appreciated.

In these forums, several folks smarter than me have shared various methods they've used to get certain badges. 

One thing I would add is a couple of ...well...opinions, more than any kind of great tip or trick. Wait until you're 50 to get most of them. You're likely to get a large number of them organically without actually trying for them. Also, aside from some badges which require you to be solo (Presents opened, for example) most badges are best done with a team, like the various defeat badges. 
I would caution you, however, to consider carefully before trying for ALL of the badges. While it does give a player something to focus on, well..it can be damned tedious and frustrating. Not to mention, every patch, you have something else to focus on, in addition to the new content and whatever character you were playing before the patch arrived. 

There are some players...at least a few, who have sought to get every badge on every AT, or at a minimum, multiple characters. Imagine that. Every patch, you have a lot of characters to dust off (if that applies) and aim to get the new badges on a host of characters. Trust me, you have to have a particular mindset or personality for this to be interesting/entertaining. If it is for you - that's fantastic! Just think long term. I wish I had thought long term. I had 6 characters with all the badges. Now I just have 1, and 5 with "most". I'll only ever fuss with the 1 now. It's just too much time/trouble to suit my brain at this time. 

• Like 1