Go /target_distance now!

Just a heads-up that the savvy players probably already know, as it went past in the patch notes a while back, but next time you are on with each alt, you will almost certainly want to type the secret code phrase

/setdistance 1 (ah, oops, make that...)

/target_distance 1

into the bat console (chat window).

It adds a distance readout to the Target panel. Should have been there long ago, and should be default now!

ETA: This also appears to be an account/UI setting, not per alt. So it's one and done!

Edited by Shenanigunner
Oops.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Thumbs Up 2

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

No, you can't make me.

• Haha 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

I'm not so sure how helpful this would be for me, it's not like I have the Range for my powers memorized or anything.  Still, nice to know it's an option!

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

14 hours ago, Gunnarr said:

What is the bat console? I tried entering this in game like when you type /ah to pull up the auction house but it didn't recognize the command. 

Sorry, I was being too clever. It's like any other slash command, type it into the chat entry line.

Highly recommended, though, especially for newbies and those who have embarrassed themselves too often, to set chat to something like team or supergroup before you enter slash commands. Nothing like forgetting the slash and telling everyone in Broadcast, Help or General what you're doing under the hood of your alt. Far too much "advice" will come your way, much of it strongly resembling snark. 🙂

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

11 hours ago, Lockely said:

It's /target_distance 1 for the command.

Oh, For Freya's Sake. I go to be helpful and post nonsense. Thanks... OP corrected.

• Haha 1

• Shenanigunner changed the title to Go /target_distance now!
15 minutes ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

I'm not so sure how helpful this would be for me, it's not like I have the Range for my powers memorized or anything.  Still, nice to know it's an option!

Lots of things are range-dependent — even just knowing your contact is 100 or 200 feet or IP/1.6 miles away is useful.

Useful datum, no downside that I can see.

Edited by Shenanigunner
  • Like 2

Sigh. Who was the guy, years and years ago, who would respond to EVERY mention of his name, on any channel or platform, with "Overlord Jones is with you." or something like that?

This was, of course, back when channels were in the low three digits and took some slight skill to access. Another world.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Shenanigunner said:

Sigh. Who was the guy, years and years ago, who would respond to EVERY mention of his name, on any channel or platform, with "Overlord Jones is with you." or something like that?

This was, of course, back when channels were in the low three digits and took some slight skill to access. Another world.

uhhh.... was it Overlord Jones....?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Snarky said:

uhhh.... was it Overlord Jones....?

No, it was some specific "net god" name like that. Probably too far back for 90% of the crowd here, back when we programmed with sticks and rocks and sent messages around by electric turtle. 🙂

Gahd, I wish this board had a short edit window without adding the obnoxious edit line. I hate to have that plastered on just to fix a typo...

Edited by Shenanigunner
Just a typo! A typo, dammit!
  • Thumbs Up 1

54 minutes ago, MonteCarla said:

I activated the target distance last night, and love it!

Thanks, Shenaningunner!

Well, it's a "thank the devs" thing first. Not everyone needs or wants it, and I suppose for some it's one more flickery distraction they'll prefer to turn off, but I spent a LOT of time entering /loc commands to figure out things like TP distances or power ranges, so having a live display is nice.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Shenanigunner said:

Well, it's a "thank the devs" thing first. Not everyone needs or wants it, and I suppose for some it's one more flickery distraction they'll prefer to turn off, but I spent a LOT of time entering /loc commands to figure out things like TP distances or power ranges, so having a live display is nice.

oh. it is appreciated.  a lot

Also available in the options window:

This setting toggle is found in the menu under Options -> Windows -> Window -> Show Target Distance

Remember kids always look through all the options to see what might make your play time more enjoyable for you