Requesting a non-AE server #TBL on July 1st

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I played CoX before AE came out. I enjoy playing AE but; sometimes, I wish to experience a server dedicated to a non-AE route. It could be fixed just by me not using AE however the rewards are just so substantially better that it kinda makes it difficult to not to. I can’t help myself, I’m too weak, and I think there would be a small demand for it too. Imagine a community that has to form itself with the challenges of economy, more heroes would be out and about instead of being confined in a small building.

Maybe I am being entitled, my intention is positive, I enjoy city of heroes the way it is, but I also would enjoy other experiences in creative ways like / permadeath shards / all enemies are purple shard / or even trade disabled shards.

Has anyone else felt this way? Or am I just crazy XD

• Like 1

Here's an ambitious idea. Lets just take Atlas City, replace Atlas with our Lord and savoir Recluse, tint the map evil and call it a day?

Basically the game would need to be disassembled to tear the stuff out.

And unsure if the original versions of the map are available to reinstate.

Assume they would need to be created from scratch.

And then we'd have a second, separate code base for the game, simply so AE isn't then, WHEN YOU CAN SIMPLY AVOID IT YOURSELF.

Won't speak for the devs.  But it will PROBABLY be a diplomatic, but hard "no".

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

A few thoughts

1.) I’ve never been tempted by AE, but I have by other things...if you are like me though you will still find ways to slide back to your AE ways...”Just going to transfer to the server for a little while, just going to do a few AE missions...then I’ll switch back to the other server...I can stop at anytime”.

2.) Joking aside, I’d not want to start new server experiences because we start adding to hard costs and then the dev’s have to maintain separate code.  Which might be OK, but only if it is going to serve a large % of the whole HC population.

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

Makes sense. That’s actually a great suggestion, I think I am going to practice it sometime 😁

Here's an ambitious idea. Lets just take Atlas City, replace Atlas with our Lord and savoir Recluse, tint the map evil and call it a day?

And then we'd have a second, separate code base for the game, simply so AE isn't then, WHEN YOU CAN SIMPLY AVOID IT YOURSELF.

Or, all the AE NPCs and interactables could be removed without changing the code at all.

I don't know that we need OP's suggestion, but this is a bit hyper...bolic.

No-Set Builds: Tanker Scrapper Brute Stalker

I am a troubled individual indeed yes. I put a lot of thought after posting this thread, and yes I actually do think having a server with a disabled AE would be awesome. But I don't expect it actually to be done, it is a want and not a need. I like to think if I didn't mentioned the want it wouldn't strike anybody to imagine the possibility it could be fun. Like I mentioned, I like CoH the way it is, but if there was ever a chance it could be that way, not mentioning it would make it 100% certainty. I read the replies, and they stated some compelling obstacles and they make a lot of sense.

I think creating a server with a disabled AE will be very desirable and a sound decision, but if it is more work on their part, I'd say it wouldn't be worth it all. I already mentioned my love for the game, being able to min/max your character in a week means less time you have to spend on the game, it has merit.

Shinobu,

Let's say they created a new server that had no AE buildings.  Would I be able to PL a character in AE on Torchbearer or Excelsior and then transfer them to the new server?

:o

I have no intention to add or dismiss the idea whether or not it you could. If it were the case, what would you prefer? Not having the ability for players to switch or yes?

I am the type of guy who likes discussing ideas. I request a non-AE CoX to be a noteworthy topic for me, I also understand the circumstance of homecoming and how it is here. I also like to mention, this isn't the same version city of heroes I played and enjoyed, but I do like creating AE-missions and playing other peoples creations is loads of fun, I don't want to feel like an outcast.

Hell, I'd even request an option upon character-creation which disables the use of a certain feature the player doesn't want spoiling.

Like only being-able to slot training enhancements (It was a restriction to F2P accounts) It could add a challenge.

Disabled P2W vendors for that particular character.

Disabled use of AE for that particular character.

Perma-death for that particular character.

These are things Id like to experience. I understand the chances of any ideas posted anywhere ever, this is reality, but it contributes more than hard no remarks

I am an AE fan don't go taking something out that makes me love the game.

I wasn't suggesting removing AE completely, that would be absurd, taking a feature that people like away from them.. Pff

The RS iron-man community is 1% to 99, even the 99% of the community wouldn't dare take the enjoyment of a fraction so small it practically is flat-lining, they encourage it.

I think mentioning ideas contribute more than doubting whether or not it would be implemented in the future. I'd appreciate some input on some of your ideas on how you would like to experience CoX differently or talk about features you really enjoy and wish there were more of, add something. Contribute.

You do not have to use AE.

You can delete any character of yours that is defeated.

You can play without trading with any other player or even sending/sharing things with your own alts.

I do not see how your self-described weakness justifies the work that would be required to implement these changes, and it would require at least one whole new server, and then there would be those calls from people saying "we want permadeath, but we also want AE".

How small do these player bases become?

Me?  I have not set foot in AE.  Too much other stuff to do.  Maybe, eventually, and it can be used in groups to set up some very customized missions, not as "entertainment" to them in the game, but as a way to create their own "real" in the game missions.

Permadeath doesn't really fit the source or the setting.  Plenty of heroes have been defeated in the comics only to come back and win in the end.  And in this game, our heroes are teleported to the hospital.  Not really time for a villain to check vitals and kill survivors.  This would also run afoul of "I can come back to life" powers.  How can anyone justify permadeath on a character that will not stay dead?

And why on Earth would hero "A" not be able to sell or give hero "B" something if they wanted to?

Even influence can be traded in the sense that during an imaginary in-game interview or something super-famous hero "A" could talk up not-nearly-as-famous hero "B".  That is giving influence.  Hero "A" trades a chance to build themselves up (loses influence) to build up someone else (give them influence).

Or, all the AE NPCs and interactables could be removed without changing the code at all.

I don't know that we need OP's suggestion, but this is a bit hyper...bolic.

Again, you're still maintaining a separate code base for something that's easily ignored.

Or are we going to get protests now for non-AE safe spaces?

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

3420t0.jpg

Architect Entertainment.

The OP is basically saying that people make missions there that allow them to level at an accelerated pace and they lack the willpower to stop themselves from taking that "shortcut", so they want the devs to make a server where it doesn't exist.

You don't need to remove AE to tamp down on the AE farms; just have AE missions automatically set the 'No XP' flag.

Won't speak for the devs.  But it will PROBABLY be a diplomatic, but hard "no".

If AE is such a horrible blight on the face of the game, the original devs would have removed it. And while I think that crawling up your electronic navel in the chase for the maximum-gain minimum-effort route to level cap because the experience from other MMOs is that the game doesn't start until you're at level cap with twinked-out raid gear is a stupid way to play the game, it's not my place to dictate how another player has fun.

Yeah, honestly, since the game came back, I haven't stepped ONE FOOT inside AE. You're just crazy.

Well, there's the badge. And I've picked up the habit with low-level characters of going to AE, turning XP off, and running one of the low-level "XP farm" missions for tickets once, sometimes twice, depending on the number of tickets I come out with, and then spending the tickets on low-end Arcane and Tech salvage to build up a reserve of the salvage they'll need for IOs at 12.

Architect Entertainment.

The OP is basically saying that people make missions there that allow them to level at an accelerated pace and they lack the willpower to stop themselves from taking that "shortcut", so they want the devs to make a server where it doesn't exist.

a19daec21cec8e04dfc47b4bbb7657fd.gif

(And yes, I realize we're debating Super Speed in that other thread.  :) )

I would love to see AE go away completely. I know, not reasonable. It just takes away from the whole idea of it being a game that you're supposed to work your way through. Having a new level 50 toon in a few hours just seems counter to the whole everything of it being a game and takes away from the whole purpose of playing a game. Yeah, the slog can be sloggy and unfun but there should be solutions for that other than to run through a farm 10 times.

Neil

@Number.One

(Full disclosure, I have never made an AE farmer but have taken advantage of those who have to reach certain goals and to get toons I don't want to keep playing to 50 so I can reach the finish line then move them to the list of no returns. Or when I need an influx of influence.)

• Like 1

Neil

@Number.One

I love the idea of playing stories by other players.

But

I am dismayed at the amount of AE farming.

Perhaps there should be reward ONLY for completing arcs based on how long the player spends inside them?

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

Let’s not turn this discussion into an unwinnable, unnecessary argument about AE farming.  If you play AE and have a reasonable request for change, then make it.

If you don’t play AE and are just frustrated that other players level faster than you, then you might need to evaluate why you feel other players have to play the same way you do.  People are playing the same game you do, using the same mechanics you do, just in a different way.  That is the nature of a MMORPG.  The XP rewards for AE are already half than the rest of the game.

If you don’t play AE, that’s great.  I don’t either, but I won’t complain as long as no one makes me play it.

(I do visit it for the badge on every character.  The building is nicely designed)

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

We dont need to fragment the playerbase on a bunch of bespoke servers. This is a waste of money and time IMO. If you don't want to do AE stuff... don't do it. There are teams constantly forming in the LFG channel.

First off, I stated I enjoy the way the game is, I didn't make this thread cynically to get my own way. I just want to experience CoH before the massive building of heroes update. I have no butt with anyone else using the AE, I use it myself to play creative missions others create, the game is fun. All I want is to read and take what people think about the days without AE, I have no power to remove AE, its not under threat, I am just a user who came from a completely different timeline. I didn't say AE was the blight of the game, I wouldn't refer to other players/bases being the correct or incorrect way of playing, all I was suggesting is there a possibility, where there is a feature that would allow players to OPT-out (themselves, not others, themselves) prohibiting the use for AE & trading for a specific character. And if they could it would mean a lot to me.

A server with a disabled-AE, I am dismantled by what another person wrote, I didn't consider the possibility it would be popular enough to sustain itself.

Thank you, OEM61.

but again do I dare say, 99.9999>% chance it will not happen and I am not counting on it, but NOT mentioning is a complete 100% never, because if I didn't suggest it at all, how would others know players like I exist.

I don't find comments like, JUST ignore it to be useful. I think it contributes nothing, at least mention you're not interest in non-AE gameplay, and you prefer AE for all. At least that is helpful, my intention is not to forum-police you, not at all. I'd just prefer something that adds to the conversation, like the rest.

The server files for CoH are out there, and there's nothing stopping people from making their own servers with their own content (or removing content, in this case).

That said, I don't want the devs for Homecoming to remove AE. Just seems like a pointless loss of game content to do that.

I mean no disrespect when I say this.

This might be a good opportunity for the TC to try and improve their self-restraint. A valuable skill that can come in useful many times during life =3

non-taken. I will just leave it on the shelf. Last thing I'd want to do is annoy, and necro it, I suppose there are more important topics than controversial wants. Farewell :) I still think its a great idea though.