More biography space, please

The current limit of 1025 characters, I think, is enough for a gist of who the character is, but anything longer or deeper is out of the question. My last character arrived to Paragon City via a story, and I at least wanted to summarize what happened, but my last few syllables are hanging over the invisible cliff. Should I replace "through" with "in"? And if there is one place where balance or consequences are not a consideration, it is here.

• Thumbs Down 2

1 hour ago, temnix said:

The current limit of 1025 characters, I think, is enough for a gist of who the character is

Which is exactly the point of the bio window, a quick introduction and summary of your character.  It's not intended for short stories, let alone novels.

• Like 1

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

Honestly, the bio section isn't going to be ideal for longer or in-depth bios.  Trying to read a complex bio while in combat or as the originator bounds away just won't do.

I would recommend

https://fbsa.homecoming.wiki/wiki/Main_Page

for your more in-depth bio needs.

• Like 1

Fools!  We Will Destroy You All!

Would You Like To Know More? [YES] [NO]

- Aeon University Online

Markus Magnum - Praetorian DP/MA Blaster

I wont use it,  but if a dev wants to modify the allowed length of the character bio and fix the inevitable bugs that will come with changing the character save file size,  then go for it.

Yes, we should definitely give people who can barely read or write MORE room for their misspelled words, bad grammar and obsessive abuse of apostrophes.

The world isn't suffering enough already.  Let's twist the knife.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

1 minute ago, Luminara said:

Yes, we should definitely give people who can barely read or write MORE room for their misspelled words, bad grammar and obsessive abuse of apostrophes.

The world isn't suffering enough already.  Let's twist the knife.

You forgot wall-o-text and my personal favourite the run-on sentences.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

2 minutes ago, Oubliette_Red said:

I've tried reading some bios that I just had to give up on. And I love reading character bios in the game. However, what you are mentioning seems uncomfortably common. A solid wall of text consisting of misspelled words, wrong word choices, and absolutely no periods or other end punctuation until the very end. (Normally, if I see errors in a bio, I will reach out to the person to give advice. When it is that bad though? All I can do is walk away.)

On the previous thread asking for this, I was most definitely in favor. The 1023 character limit can be difficult to write bios for some of my characters. (Note that for some of my characters the bio is a poem, for others it may be a poem with text clarification, it may be a short story format, it may be a bullet style overview, or it may be a more traditional summary or note.) However, the previous thread requesting this has me in agreement with the no votes. Some of the stories players are trying to write are just too long. (And this is from someone that tends to use the full or nearly full character limit.) So, sorry, but I'm a no vote this time.

4 hours ago, temnix said:

The current limit of 1025 characters, I think, is enough for a gist of who the character is, but anything longer or deeper is out of the question. My last character arrived to Paragon City via a story, and I at least wanted to summarize what happened, but my last few syllables are hanging over the invisible cliff. Should I replace "through" with "in"? And if there is one place where balance or consequences are not a consideration, it is here.

You can get all the biography space you need here.

7 minutes ago, Oubliette_Red said:

I never forget, I do everything I can not to remember.  It's... healthier, for everyone.

And you forgot commas.

56297044a78e07cc95ed763eb9382907.gif

• Haha 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

Could definitely stand to fix the bugginess with the text that goes into the window, though.

Like how deleting double-spaced newlines will just, remove keyboard focus from the field. Or how two spacebars in a row causes the second spacebar to cost 6 characters because it gets replaced by ;&nbsp. Or how you can save a bio that has 1,000 characters, then open it back up to find it actually has 1400 characters, as the game client has doubled up on every spacebar you entered. Or how alt-code characters like • (bullet point), etc, also eat up multiple characters.