Be Gentle :) Sort of a Test

WuTang

On 3/15/2024 at 5:16 PM, Lantra said:

One would think a SS/Rad or Bio would work better for a Hulk build

I could see Rad sort of it does fit but the effects. I don't see Bio at all, perhaps WP... But Hulk is pretty dang invulnerable. But hey we all roll our own way.

To all... Look I'm still VEEEEEERY new and am just realizing how new. I really shouldn't ask questions until I've seen the game from a 50's perspective, than I might actually ask intelligent questions....maybe. 

I'm running @Infinitumbuild with but one set swap due to having it lying around and the set he slotted is still...well I'm saving up, another day or two and I'll get it. But the build is a beast. It was a chore leveling as I was slotting the build as he had it. If I did it again I'd shore up my endurance for a quality of life improvement and then respec at 50 or after I got Ageless. Which I do and now all endurance issues are nada. I can literally go facerolling and never run out. And the resist/def/regen is good enough that as of so far I don't need Dull Pain cause I keep forgetting it as I've only needed it a handful of times.

But hey that is not a dig on anyone else's build. But I had a theme I was looking for which Infinitum met and I wanted performance, which I can attest to. I'm very appreciative of anyone that pops on here and helps just because they can. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, WuTang said:

To all... Look I'm still VEEEEEERY new and am just realizing how new

Dude, you're doing great. Ask any questions you feel need asking!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/14/2024 at 1:44 AM, Snarky said:

Also, have you looked at Hyperstrike and his work on Invulnerability?  Top botch, some of it set up for 4star Aeon (the MO Durable builds). It would benefit you to peek at his work and het ideas

Snark-man!

So I checked out Hyperstrike's stuff on Invulnerability and I got some questions. I took his Inv build, added SS and what attacks I wanted, then slotted/enhanced them. I then took some of his IO selections and swapped them into my current build and my defenses did go up, not as high as his build, but my damage potential is much higher than what his build would allow. My question is how important are a few %s? 

I've attached a screen grab of the 2, his is left and mine is right.

He's got more recharge but both are 350%+

My ToHit is 111% his is 28%

Damage mine is +547% his +196%

So do the Def and Res matter that much more than what appears to be a big difference in damage output?

Also, triple checked, all the same abilities are toggled on/off.

Thanks!

compare-1.JPG

• Like 1

20 hours ago, WuTang said:

Ok this is a scrapper build but it's really just an export/import test but feel free to knock it around...

EB - Scrapper (Electrical Melee - Electric Armor)-EB-2.mbd 44.86 kB · 1 download

You could also check out mids discord theres a lot of stuff on there that doesnt make it to the forums. If your interested in a smash everything so fast you don't have to worry about defence or resistance numbers @Bellatorposted a fun build:

Brute_Super_Strength_-_Invulnerability.mbd

3 hours ago, WuTang said:

Snark-man!

So I checked out Hyperstrike's stuff on Invulnerability and I got some questions. I took his Inv build, added SS and what attacks I wanted, then slotted/enhanced them. I then took some of his IO selections and swapped them into my current build and my defenses did go up, not as high as his build, but my damage potential is much higher than what his build would allow. My question is how important are a few %s? 

So do the Def and Res matter that much more than what appears to be a big difference in damage output?

Thanks!

compare-1.JPG

A few percentage points will not matter until you start doing 1-2-4 star content.  If you are staying “eyeball true” to a Hyperstrike build you are on the right track.  Have fun.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/17/2024 at 5:32 AM, Infinitum said:

If a brute or tanker and isn't around 10 or more 90% of the time - the point of the ATs are lost. 

The main point of my builds for tanker and brute is survivability - but they don't miss out on damage either. 

Lots of people have played my builds and Hyperstrikes builds in game and have never had issues with them for that matter. 

I certainly don't. If you need an in game demonstration hit me up. I will demonstrate and test with anyone - any one of my builds - and will own up if I am incorrect. Just ask @Spaghetti Betty

I think that because you build defensively, on AT's with stronger defensive caps, you (naturally) die less often and that insulates you from the inefficiencies of your builds. Humans have a natural bias to believe in a positive self-image, so in the absence of obvious failure (like dying) that bias easily gets perpetuated. Even builds with no IO's can be functional in this game, so even poorly made builds can claim to have no issues.

You talk about how people have played your builds with no issues. The truth is, people won't tell you to your face that your build is terrible; they're non-confrontational. Doubly true if you're a well-known forumite - they will be scared of disagreeing with you publicly. Furthermore, most people - I'm just gonna say it - most people don't know any better and can't judge a bad build from good, and can't see past the ends of their noses in game. So the fact that they think your builds are good means very little. Me, I never listen to praise of my builds. That just feeds the ego. I only listen to negatives because negatives at least show potential areas for improvement. It doesn't mean I have to agree with the criticism (usually I don't because I'm right and I'll prove it) but there have been cases where it turns out I was wrong and that's always a great day, because then I can learn something new and enjoy improved builds.

My point re: invincible is that tanking few high dps critters is usually the most challenging situation and it needs to be considered seriously. There's no point optimizing for the horde of weak trash you already easily survive. But I think your comment on being surrounded by 10 or more "90% of the time" is revealing. Because you build for survivability, you kill trash a lot more slowly and take longer to whittle down a spawn. You say your builds don't miss out on damage, but you've never tried to build for all-out offense, you naturally wouldn't know what good damage looks like.

Leaving aside the invincibility issue, how about things like toggling on FF in handclap, or ageless when you know full well ageless loses over half its power after 10s? How about the build just below the one you posted with better stats and a lot less slots spent? I'm not trying to rub things in. I think you sound defensive because it's difficult for anyone to confront the idea that their builds probably aren't as good as they tried to portray. But if you're willing to set that aside, you are the one who stands to benefit.

None of this is a personal attack. My point is that everything you've said indicates you are the victim of some very natural human biases that are standing in the way of you improving, biases which everyone is vulnerable to. I'm not interested in one-upping you. Like I said, I don't listen to praise or agreement. I'm trying to jolt you out of your fog of complacency. And if you're going to stand there and tell me that hyperstrike builds are fine when the man relies on meltdown with like 23% uptime to cap resistances on a brute, all I can say is lmao.

Edited by Zect
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

24 minutes ago, Zect said:

I think that because you build defensively, on AT's with stronger defensive caps, you (naturally) die less often and that insulates you from the inefficiencies of your builds. Humans have a natural bias to believe in a positive self-image, so in the absence of obvious failure (like dying) that bias easily gets perpetuated. Even builds with no IO's can be functional in this game, so even poorly made builds can claim to have no issues.

You talk about how people have played your builds with no issues. The truth is, people won't tell you to your face that your build is terrible; they're non-confrontational. Doubly true if you're a well-known forumite - they will be scared of disagreeing with you publicly. Furthermore, most people - I'm just gonna say it - most people don't know any better and can't judge a bad build from good, and can't see past the ends of their noses in game. So the fact that they think your builds are good means very little. Me, I never listen to praise of my builds. That just feeds the ego. I only listen to negatives because negatives at least show potential areas for improvement. It doesn't mean I have to agree with the criticism (usually I don't because I'm right and I'll prove it) but there have been cases where it turns out I was wrong and that's always a great day, because then I can learn something new and enjoy improved builds.

My point re: invincible is that tanking few high dps critters is usually the most challenging situation and it needs to be considered seriously. There's no point optimizing for the horde of weak trash you already easily survive. But I think your comment on being surrounded by 10 or more "90% of the time" is revealing. Because you build for survivability, you kill trash a lot more slowly and take longer to whittle down a spawn. You say your builds don't miss out on damage, but you've never tried to build for all-out offense, you naturally wouldn't know what good damage looks like.

Leaving aside the invincibility issue, how about things like toggling on FF in handclap, or ageless when you know full well ageless loses over half its power after 10s? How about the build just below the one you posted with better stats and a lot less slots spent? I'm not trying to rub things in. I think you sound defensive because it's difficult for anyone to confront the idea that their builds probably aren't as good as they tried to portray. But if you're willing to set that aside, you are the one who stands to benefit.

None of this is a personal attack. My point is that everything you've said indicates you are the victim of some very natural human biases that are standing in the way of you improving, biases which everyone is vulnerable to. I'm not interested in one-upping you. Like I said, I don't listen to praise or agreement. I'm trying to jolt you out of your fog of complacency. And if you're going to stand there and tell me that hyperstrike builds are fine when the man relies on meltdown with like 23% uptime to cap resistances on a brute, all I can say is lmao.

Your whole post is garbage, lol and I will leave it at that.  Go poke your chest out in the mirror and feel accomplished by it though.  By all means "Dr Phil"

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/12/2024 at 8:33 AM, WuTang said:

This is my first attempt at posting a build, it's sort of mine. I modified @Infinitum SS/Inv build from like 2 years ago. It's for a "Hulk" build so I needed Super Jump instead of Flight and I took everything in the Fighting pool and needed to move some enhancements around, but everything else is from the original build, which I think was really good. I wanted Hand Clap and Hurl but couldn't fit them as I also wanted the build to actually be viable...or what I think is viable, which is what I'm hoping you guys might let me know.

OK I can't see how to import the nice link...so I think this will be the long format, sorry....

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

Here is the build I originally got from Hyperstrike when I found HC.  This beast is still in my garage, I ran it for 6 months non stop.

oh, one change.  in dull pain have the new hami heal/rech...

Snarky - Brute (Super Strength).mxd

Edited by Snarky

For the record I think @Hyperstrike builds are fine - great in fact.  I like mine better naturally because I make them for me first and foremost - I get nothing but satisfaction when someone uses my builds and enjoys them.  If they dont - that's OK too because I still do. 

This is after all - a game and I think people who chase damage like this - lose sight of some of the more fun attributes this game can provide.  Clear speed wins nothing but boredom from repetition for playing every AT and every Character the exact same way - missing out on cool powers along the way that don't fit the Moar damage quest. 

To each their own. 😉

Edited by Infinitum
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Infinitum said:

For the record I think @Hyperstrike builds are fine - great in fact.  I like mine better naturally because I make them for me first and foremost - I get nothing but satisfaction when someone uses my builds and enjoys them.  If they dont - that's OK too because I still do. 

This is after all - a game and I think people who chase damage like this - lose sight of some of the more fun attributes this game can provide.  Clear speed wins nothing but boredom from repetition for playing every AT and every Character the exact same way - missing out on cool powers along the way that don't fit the Moar damage quest. 

To each their own. 😉

The "best" build is always the one that suits your play style.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

11 hours ago, WuTang said:

Snark-man!

Thanks!

compare-1.JPG

I find it helpful to look at mitigation in terms of damage taken. Out of 100 damage or 100 attacks, how many/much do you take?

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/19/2024 at 7:54 PM, Duckbutler said:

I find it helpful to look at mitigation in terms of damage taken. Out of 100 damage or 100 attacks, how many/much do you take?

Don't know, but in my mind, less, if I kill them faster.

Edited by WuTang

Help me understand Defense and Resists...

Does defense reduce their chance to hit me or if they're hitting me for a potential of 100 damage and I have 48% Defense then I reduce their potential damage to 52? But then in my mind that's how resistance works. I resist 85% of the 100. And is there an order in which the math takes place? Is Def calculated before or after Res? So my Def blocks 48% then I resist 85% of what's left?

Resistance = damage taken, Defense = hit chance.

Resistance reduces the amount of damage you take from an attack. So if you have 90% resistance, the brute/tanker cap, you only take 10 damage from a 100 damage attack. Defense is trickier. Critters have a base chance to hit of 50% and cannot be reduced below a base chance of 5% to hit, thus making the softcap 45% (worry about tier shifts and incarnate caps later). This cap is going to effect all ATs equally because it's more about the critter hit chance.

So you have 100 attacks coming in each doing 100 damage each. You should take 10,000 if they all hit. However, baseline, only 50% of those attacks were likely to hit anyway, so 50 attacks hitting for 100 damage, 5000 damage. Now let's say you have capped resistance to their damage type. 50 attacks hit for 10, that's 500.

Working it from defense instead and no resistance, you would have 100 attacks coming in, 50 would normally hit. Instead you're defense capped so 5 hit. You get to the same 500 damage.

If you were to put them together and cap both, then yeah, you would be taking 50 damage from that original base 5000. Absurdly good, but also not super relevant because you're not often under that kind of pressure where you actually need that. This is where more experienced players need to chime in (and have, see Snarky) because while I love working theory, I just don't have the time for hard modes at the moment. 

Back to your original question of how important 1-2 percent can be, imagine something that is actually threatening to someone at 90% resistance. Now drop their resistance to 88%, it's only 2% of the raw damage but instead of taking 10 per theoretical 100 damage hit, they're taking 12. That's a relative 20% increase and something that was threatening becomes lethal. But to reiterate, that's just theoretical. I don't think I've ever been under that much pressure in game where it actually mattered and I didn't also have time to respond. My invuln/staff tanker didn't take toughness until 44, common IOs only up to that point, and she was still a rock.

• Thanks 1

Duckbutler covered the numbers

If you have low defense, resist is better, more consistent mitigation. Defense starts showing an edge as you approach high 30s-45% because that's when you really start to notice that you are getting hit less. But you can also layer defense with resists and most notably soft controls/heals and other tools in your toolkit, which a lot of builds don't take advantage of because they favor stat numbers via IO bonuses, to augment survival.

Most of these build discussions don't focus too much on synergy and how to use your toolkit and playstyle to compliment your goals. It's generated a lot of focus instead on chasing 45% defense and 90% resists or whatever the resistance cap is, some times at the cost of synergy, damage, slot efficiency and sometimes even theme. But those builds still work because the game is pretty accommodating to all kinds of builds.

So while there's nothing wrong with adapting one of those super durable builds. If you want a different perspective play a blaster, once you understand the fundamental tenet of any game like this, which is "dead things don't fight back," and master the nuances with that AT, then I think you'll be ready to step out of your comfort zone and apply some of that philosophy to armored ATs. The result might surprise you.

• Thanks 1

Liberty, Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting

Jezebel Delias

Level 50 Fire/Elec/Mace Blaster

I am the Inner Circle!

2 hours ago, Nemu said:

So while there's nothing wrong with adapting one of those super durable builds. If you want a different perspective play a blaster, once you understand the fundamental tenet of any game like this, which is "dead things don't fight back," and master the nuances with that AT, then I think you'll be ready to step out of your comfort zone and apply some of that philosophy to armored ATs. The result might surprise you.

This part is true, but I will expand that the ATs exist for a reason.  

This is all my opinion and how I play this game.  Not saying what you said is wrong - just different from my approach.   But for me - I don't think there is any comparison for what a blaster is supposed to do vs what a tanker/brute is supposed to do.  If I am a blaster I want a durable tanker or brute on the team to grab the agro before during and after I set the world on fire. 

To that point you won't be bereft of damage if you play within the damage sets strengths while at the same time building for making this character more durable for absorbing that incoming damage for whatever your team makeup might be - one team may not need or know you are there while another may not be able to function without you. 

So while the ultimate goal is make the enemy unalived - from a team perspective the tanker or brute that can absorb that damage from the mob while not dying alleviates the situation for the blaster scrapper or stalker to do their thing.  The controller/dominator to lock down the mob and buff/debuff.  The defender/corruptor to support the team and attack buff or debuff the mob. And masterminds to just get in the way-kidding.

All of the above is still possible - having a extremely durable build while still outputting great damage all the while experiencing powers that fall outside the meta that are honestly fun to play. 

Furthermore there is nothing wrong with playing outside of the ATs role, and another way of looking at it - this game is flexible enough for anyone to make it what you want it to be.  I just think the game has gotten too cookie cutter for a lot of people to chase the meta instead of what is potentially fun and approaching each team like a puzzle of what would I need to bring to make this team function more efficiently.  Sometimes the answer for me to that is not more damage.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/21/2024 at 12:31 PM, Infinitum said:

This part is true, but I will expand that the ATs exist for a reason.  

snip

There's a bunch that can be said on all this side conversation that is also very worthy of discussion.

What I would like to say about it, though, is that this is the deconstructionist MMO. We don't rely on the trinity system of tanks/heals/DPS that most MMOs do. Pieces of it are present and available and they work very well together, but they're not required. Most teams are thrown together with a random grab bag of whomever is interested and available. Instead I think it would be a better comparison to approach the game more like something like Diablo. Everyone is better when they work together there, too, but they also need to be able to stand on their own just like we do. When you start looking at Diablo 2 or 3 builds (I haven't even touched 4, so no comment there) you start getting a lot of "main stat only to wear gear, then pump HP and resists."

On 3/21/2024 at 6:06 AM, WuTang said:

Help me understand Defense and Resists...

Does defense reduce their chance to hit me or if they're hitting me for a potential of 100 damage and I have 48% Defense then I reduce their potential damage to 52? But then in my mind that's how resistance works. I resist 85% of the 100. And is there an order in which the math takes place? Is Def calculated before or after Res? So my Def blocks 48% then I resist 85% of what's left?

Defense reduces the number of times you're hit.
Resistance reduces the amount of damage done when you actually get hit.

0% Defense
50% Resist mean, if something hits you for 200 points of damage, you see 100 points.  EVERY TIME.

With Defemse, you either get hit or you don't (as in zero damage).
There's a formula for determining probable damage over time. 

This old post has Arcanaville explaining it in a concise, complete manner (so I don't have to...lazylazylazy....)

And actual damage mitigation over time is
Zero Resist, and Zero Defense x total POSSIBLE hits modified by (Successful Hits minus Resistance) minus failed To Hits.

Plug in numbers from here:

https://archive.paragonwiki.com/wiki/Limits#Defense.2FToHit

Generally how it works.  Buffs and Debuffs modify it further.

Edited by Hyperstrike
  • Like 1

On 3/19/2024 at 5:00 PM, Duckbutler said:

This thread took a weird turn.

That's because we like watching you pause from cognitive dissonance and start spurting flaming blood and brain matter out your ears.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

That's because we like watching you pause from cognitive dissonance and start spurting flaming blood and brain matter out your ears.

Like my dad used to say "this is going to hurt you more than it hurts me"