How good is to hit debuffs….

Well, to-hit debuffs are like buffing your own defense against that target, so they're pretty good.

I think you're in the wrong forum though. Maybe the Tanker forum has more relevant information.

Aspiring game designer and minotaur main.

Anyone can tear something down. The true talent is building it back up again, better than before.

My collection of powerset suggestions - open to comments and feedback!

37 minutes ago, SirBronco said:

with dark melee on a tank? Wondering if enhancing my dark melee attacks on my tank is viable or not? Would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.

Frankly, I focus on acc & damage for my attacks, unless said attack specifically applies a special effect, (like the +def powers in broadsword or katana).  

50 minutes ago, SirBronco said:

with dark melee on a tank? Wondering if enhancing my dark melee attacks on my tank is viable or not? Would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.

I would recommend not worrying about boosting the -ToHit of Dark Melee. Focus more on harming your foes and let the -ToHits from the set do their thing. With the exception of Touch of Fear's -10.5%, you're looking at a -5.25% ToHit debuff from your attacks. Depending on your armor set, that is enough.

18 hours ago, SirBronco said:

I wouldn't try to enhance the -ToHit on attacks... you need those to do damage.

Writing only for myself, typically, I will enhance -ToHit in a small number of circumstances:

• The power takes a -ToHit set where I want a set bonus (often the case with Cloud Senses) and there aren't other sets going in the power.
  • The power has one slot left and I haven't put any -ToHit in it, and something like a Lysosome (Accuracy and -ToHit) or Enzyme (Endurance Reduction and -ToHit) would benefit the power.

Another personal attitude is that -ToHit is an inherently unreliable means of survivability, because RNG. It does help... and I have seen it improve the survivability of certain squishies... but for a Tanker I think it would be a somewhat marginal improvement.

Frankly, if you read on how accuracy actually works...

To hit De-buff is worthless

Reason is that all your to hit de-buffs are capped to not allow to be less than 5% of the targets buff gains, and then that is added to the mob's accuracy, which is what actually gives the chance to hit you!

So de-buffing them by say 150%, will result with the mob's accuracy be base accuracy + 5% no matter what you do, thus your to hit de-buff is really a fake sense of safety.

The game should really, relook at this mechanic, so many power sets that in paper provides survivability by making the enemy less accurate actually does as advertised

V/R

5 hours ago, DrRocket said:

Frankly, if you read on how accuracy actually works...

To hit De-buff is worthless

Reason is that all your to hit de-buffs are capped to not allow to be less than 5% of the targets buff gains, and then that is added to the mob's accuracy, which is what actually gives the chance to hit you!

So de-buffing them by say 150%, will result with the mob's accuracy be base accuracy + 5% no matter what you do, thus your to hit de-buff is really a fake sense of safety.

The game should really, relook at this mechanic, so many power sets that in paper provides survivability by making the enemy less accurate actually does as advertised

V/R

ToHit debuffs are not worthless. They just shouldn't be a player's priority for buffing in their attacks. A ToHit debuff reduces the target's chance to hit by a flat amount. So using Dark Melee's -7.5% (since all but one debuffing attack has that value), you start with an equal level mob and its 50% base hit chance. We'll use a boss for its 1.3 rank accuracy. So that equal level boss unless it gets a ToHit buff from somewhere has 65% chance (50% + [30% of 50% =]15% = 65%) to hit your character. If you hit that boss with your Dark Melee attack which inflicts a ToHit debuff and not an Accuracy debuff, that 65% becomes 57.5% chance to hit you. (If it had been an Accuracy debuff instead somehow, then the boss' chance to hit you would instead be 61.25%.) The thing to keep in mind is that no one's chance to hit can ever be higher than 95% or lower than 5%. So if you manage to debuff that boss with -150% ToHit, his 65% becomes -85%, then clamped at 5% chance to hit. The clamp is not the mob's base accuracy plus minimum 5%, it is 5%.

https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Attack_Mechanics

Edit again: Now enhancing the -ToHit of a support power like Darkest Night? That would be of much better use for -ToHit. With its -15 ToHit as a maintained toggle on the targeted enemy, you can get it up to almost -20% without even trying. For the example boss, that reduces his chance to hit you to 45%.

Edit yet again: I think I have when accuracy is applied reversed. In which case the boss hit with Dark Melee would have a 55.25% chance to hit ([50%-7.5%]x1.3) and with Darkest Night (at 20% enhanced debuff) would be at 39% ([50%-20%]x1.3) chance to hit. Or unenhanced would be 45.5% ([50-15]x1.3) chance to hit. Regardless, ToHit debuffs are your friend. Especially since the enemy's chance to hit is further reduced by your defense before their accuracy is applied. Always with the 5% floor and 95% cap chance to hit you.

Edited by Rudra
Edited to remove unnecessary "So" and add wiki page link.
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Monos King said:

I didn't know we could use this forum that way. Could anyone review my imp-only controller build while we're at it?

Sure thing! Hmm....

Okay, I gotta say, you really need to pack more imps into your imp only build. 🤪

• Haha 1