Increase the Opacity on Tops with Skin

So every time I use one of the "Tops with Skin" tights options, the texture is always slightly translucent. As someone who is fond of lighter colors, they often look off because they're always slightly tinted by my character's skin tone. This has been an issue for forever, and it would be nice to have it fixed so that you can have tops with skin without them being completely see-through. Is this at all possible?

Tops with Skin 1.png

Tops with Skin 2.png

Tops with Skin 3.png

• Like 8
  • Thumbs Up 1

At issue is mainly that the models only have so many channels for colors/texture layers.

In order for the skin texture to show up elsewhere on the top, bottom, etc. it has to be laid over the entire piece and then the color pattern dropped onto that.

The only way to remove it would be to make an entirely separate skin pattern for each overlay. It’s theoretically doable, but very labor intensive.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, Chris24601 said:

At issue is mainly that the models only have so many channels for colors/texture layers.

In order for the skin texture to show up elsewhere on the top, bottom, etc. it has to be laid over the entire piece and then the color pattern dropped onto that.

The only way to remove it would be to make an entirely separate skin pattern for each overlay. It’s theoretically doable, but very labor intensive.

Running an MMO is labor intensive. I’m not asking for it to be top priority, but in a game so heavily focused on customization, I think there’s merit in improving the available options.

In thinking about it further, I also expect it has to do with the fact that most of the texture layers in question work differently between the male and female models.

Specifically, the male models don’t have a separate “tops” and “tops with skin” category… all the skin textures are just under the “tight” category and the textures can overlay any of them.

But it’s all the same texture maps whether male, female, or huge and so doing the fixes would actually require adding a different skin texture for every pattern to the male “tight” category with further pointers to keep the wrong pattern from being using with the wrong skin map.

And when you’ve already got a base texture map, a specular map, a bump map, and potentially a transparency map and/or reflection map, all potentially interacting with two color filter maps… let’s just say plugging all that into different channels on the mesh, and the costume creator’s exclusions database (ex. how it will literally remove all other options for cape-physics from the options available if you’ve selected one) means there’s a LOT more going on behind the scenes and in a place where it’d be very easy to break something critical to how the game parses it’s graphics.

There’s a reason the term “standard code rant” exists… when something you think would be easy action turns out to be far more complicated than it appears.

I am certain this particular complaint isn’t the first time it’s come up in the game’s history and, if it were anything easy to fix, it would have been already.

This doesn’t mean it’s impossible, just that it’s likely not nearly easy as you think.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later

I suppose one way to get this looked at would be to make some water blast toons with these costume options and call yourself things like "Saturated Bikini" and "See Through Bottoms Man".  That should get you some unwanted attention and maybe give the devs reason to put the issue higher up on the priorities list.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Player2 said:

I suppose one way to get this looked at would be to make some water blast toons with these costume options and call yourself things like "Saturated Bikini" and "See Through Bottoms Man".  That should get you some unwanted attention and maybe give the devs reason to put the issue higher up on the priorities list.

Or generic’d 

• Thumbs Down 1

With that in mind, here are some name suggestions and what shards they're currently available on:

NAME                                   AVAILABLE ON                                                                            
My Bits Aren't Really On Display It Just Looks That Way - no where, too long

Saturated Swimsuit       -   Everlasting, Excelsior, Indomitable, Reunion, and Torchbearer

See Thru Bottoms Man -   Everlasting, Excelsior, Indomitable, Reunion, and Torchbearer

Sheer Bikini                    -   Everlasting, Excelsior, Indomitable, Reunion, and Torchbearer

Soggy Bottom               -    Everlasting, Reunion, and Torchbearer

Stop Looking At Me      -   Everlasting, Excelsior, Indomitable, Reunion, and Torchbearer

Translucent Costume    -    Everlasting, Excelsior, Indomitable, Reunion, and Torchbearer

Waterlogged Effect       -   Everlasting, Excelsior, Indomitable, Reunion, and Torchbearer

Wet Clothing Power      -   Everlasting, Excelsior, Indomitable, Reunion, and Torchbearer

Wet T-Shirt Woman      -   Everlasting, Excelsior, Indomitable, Reunion, and Torchbearer

Edited by Player2