Old Characters

So I'm sure this question is answered somewhere, but I don't know where to find it.

Is it at all possible to recover characters from the live-retail servers?  The #1 reason I haven't played Homecoming is because I assumed this was impossible, and I can't bear to not get my main's costumes right trying to recreate them from decades-old memories.  That said, someone in Star Trek Online chat suggested this was now possible, so I tried to look into it, but I couldn't find much, so here I am asking.

Thank you for your time, sorry if I just didn't look hard enough.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There is no direct way of getting a retail character back.

However, if you still have your costume files, many of those can be loaded.   (AE files are possible too)

Sometimes there are tweaks needed, but feasible.

On HC, you can build out a character much easier than it ever was on live.   Still takes a bit of investment of time, but while I had maybe three characters that were fairly IO'd out on live.

You're not going to have the same character here anyway due to some of the power changes.

You can always go to the beta server and do a bit of experimentation to see before then playing thru them on the main servers.

The ship has sailed on that data. I miss the data and  my game time is easily half to live.  the COH players always far friendly and fewer jerks. 

As a computer unfriendly person and casual game player I find leveling in homecoming far easier than live.

There are  a good number of groups that runs community events and pugs.  One of the serves plays a lot of night hamidon raids or under 20 content for people.  Maybe it is my memory but there are way more base events and organic player events compared to live.

• Like 1

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

Sorry to say you're going to have to start from scratch. But on the upside, you get to play those characters all over again from the beginning. And even if you don't get the costumes quite right there are a more options now than there was then, so you can improve upon what you had before.

• Pizza (Pineapple) 1

Short answer "no"

Long answer still no but with a long story about the history of Homecoming, the project which came befor and a legal and moral dilemma, about all of which I don't know enough,

the tldr for it is:

Homecoming does not have account data from live and wouldn't legally be allowed to have it, there was such a server but they didn't have those files for a long time now either, some of there players might be encountered on a beta shard, don't bother them they and the migrated staff from that server can't do anything about it either.

back to the Zukunft

@Jkwak

42 minutes ago, jkwak said:

Short answer "no"

Long answer still no but with a long story about the history of Homecoming, the project which came befor and a legal and moral dilemma, about all of which I don't know enough,

the tldr for it is:

Homecoming does not have account data from live and wouldn't legally be allowed to have it, there was such a server but they didn't have those files for a long time now either, some of there players might be encountered on a beta shard, don't bother them they and the migrated staff from that server can't do anything about it either.

That's a bummer...  I don't even care about the levels or enhancements.  I just want my costumes and bios...  Oh well.  Thanks anyway.

On 4/11/2024 at 11:16 AM, PhotriusPyrelus said:

So I'm sure this question is answered somewhere, but I don't know where to find it.

Is it at all possible to recover characters from the live-retail servers?  The #1 reason I haven't played Homecoming is because I assumed this was impossible, and I can't bear to not get my main's costumes right trying to recreate them from decades-old memories.  That said, someone in Star Trek Online chat suggested this was now possible, so I tried to look into it, but I couldn't find much, so here I am asking.

Thank you for your time, sorry if I just didn't look hard enough.

If you don't have costume files for them, it's apparently possible to construct costume files from demorecords or Sentinel Plus exports.

• Retired Game Master
13 hours ago, Carnildo said:

If you don't have costume files for them, it's apparently possible to construct costume files from demorecords or Sentinel Plus exports.

There's an asterisk to that.  As time goes on and our Costume Creator gains new, revised, and modified parts, the more of a chance the resultant Costume files from a Demorecord or Sentinel Plus extracted file (using https://cit.cohtitan.com/senticon/ to import the Sentinel + XML file.) will have missing or error parts that will need substituted or replaced on load with something else.

100% of your costume since Issue 23, depends on whether or not you used simple parts.
50-70% of your costume is possible now, so it's still worth a shot.  But expect that to become lower and lower as time goes on.

But if you possess neither the demorecord or Sentinel+ file from 2012, that chance remains 0%.

I don't 'think' I'd kept the actual files from back then, but I 'did' keep the various screenshots and files I had created to help store my Bios and such, so it was pretty painless to rebuild my old characters from that.

• Like 1
  • Banjo 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)