New to CoH:H, but long time CoH player returns!

biostem

So I played CoH/CoV for about 5 years, ('04 to '09), and really enjoyed it.  I briefly came back when it went F2P, but never really stuck around.  Now that nostalgia has set in, and I started playing again, I'm remembering why I loved the game so much.  Anyway, I just wanted to say "hi" and mention a few observations/request some feedback:

1. I love that fitness is now inherent!  I no longer have to worry about fitting it into my build, and while the need to manage energy consumption is lessened by this, it's still a great change, IMO.

2. I love being able to play villain ATs as a hero, (and visa-versa)!

3. No longer having to wait until level 14 to get your travel power, and not requiring you take a lower tier power is fantastic!  OTOH, Perez Park won't be quite as scary anymore, LOL!  Do you folks bother with the lower tier travel pool powers anymore?  I could see combat jumping still being useful, and I was reading the info for what appears to be a newer medicine power, "serum".

4. I noticed while leveling up the other night that I can actually show the specific information regarding powers.  This is an amazing change!  Can you do this from the character creation screen as well?

5. I used to do a lot of "street sweeping" when I played the original run of CoH, but does it still hold that you get better XP from that?  I've run a bunch of the quests for Twin Shot, and while I enjoyed the banter, the XP didn't seem all that great.

6. Do the same basic rules apply with regard to "kill stealing"?  I used to basically avoid attacking groups others were engaged with or "helping" others, unless to throw down a heal or something that didn't do damage.

Thank you all in advance!

Lots of reasons for lower level travel powers like Combat Jumping.

Street sweeping is not good XP as you noticed, bad guys inside mission instances have the better XP.

Kill stealing does not exist, XP is shared, a few players a 'touchy' on the subject, but code-wise, KSing is not a thing.

Welcome back.

Lots of reasons for lower level travel powers like Combat Jumping.

Street sweeping is not good XP as you noticed, bad guys inside mission instances have the better XP.

Kill stealing does not exist, XP is shared, a few players a 'touchy' on the subject, but code-wise, KSing is not a thing.

Welcome back.

I'm sorry - regarding the 2nd point - is XP better *in* missions, or outside?  Originally, I thought it was outside, but you're saying it's better *in* instances?  Thanks!

I'm sorry - regarding the 2nd point - is XP better *in* missions, or outside?  Originally, I thought it was outside, but you're saying it's better *in* instances?  Thanks!

Inside.

Street sweeping like we did back in the very beginning was not a thing on Live for some time.

Rikti Warzone and places like Dark Astoria, Hazard Zones, are not always terrible for drops and things, but XP is generally better from instances, unless I am mistaken.

Inside.

Street sweeping like we did back in the very beginning was not a thing on Live for some time.

Rikti Warzone and places like Dark Astoria, Hazard Zones, are not always terrible for drops and things, but XP is generally better from instances, unless I am mistaken.

OK, Thank you! 

You can modify your reputation so even solo you can face mobs as a team of 8. Add in mission rewards and there's little reason to run around street sweeping. I ran around Atlas in a good area for large mobs on a Spines brute and street swept until 4, but that was really to get a bit up and running. Most people hit level 2-3 and then do Death From Below, aka DFB for quick early leveling.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

Welcome back to Paragon City, TripAdvisor winner of "Survived most alien invasions" city award 10 years running.

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

3. No longer having to wait until level 14 to get your travel power, and not requiring you take a lower tier power is fantastic!  OTOH, Perez Park won't be quite as scary anymore, LOL!  Do you folks bother with the lower tier travel pool powers anymore?  I could see combat jumping still being useful, and I was reading the info for what appears to be a newer medicine power, "serum".

With the introduction of crafted Invention Origin enhancements, particularly the IO sets that have one enhancement that grants a global bonus (like the Luck of the Gambler set's 7.5% +Recharge IO, or the Karma set's Knockback Resistance IO), having 'mule' powers that you take for the single slot which will accept one of these globals is pretty common. Combat Jumping and Hover, for example, will both accept the LotG+Rech enhancement.

With the introduction of crafted Invention Origin enhancements, particularly the IO sets that have one enhancement that grants a global bonus (like the Luck of the Gambler set's 7.5% +Recharge IO, or the Karma set's Knockback Resistance IO), having 'mule' powers that you take for the single slot which will accept one of these globals is pretty common. Combat Jumping and Hover, for example, will both accept the LotG+Rech enhancement.

Good to know.  Thanks!

Good to know.  Thanks!

Street sweeping you won't find an absolute ton of, a lot of due to DFB and AE. I'm not knocking either, I've done my fair share of AE and will continue to do so.

However, you can still get good xp doing street sweeping in hazards like Perez, Hollows, Boomtown and such. There may be slightly faster ways to level now, but these are still fine too.

You can modify your reputation so even solo you can face mobs as a team of 8.

Maybe a stupid question, how is what you mention above done?

Who you talk to depends on if you're a Hero or a Villain.

But there's an NPC you talk to, that adjusts your Notoriety.  You can set it so that Door Missions spawn as if you level was -1 to +4 compared to what you actually are, and so that the minimum team size is anywhere from just you (x1) up to a full eight members (x8).

Two people, same mission; one is at -1/x0 - most of the enemies will con Blue, some White, and an occasional Lieutenant might be Yellow.  The other is at +4/x8.  EVERYTHING IS RED AND PURPLE, and there's six or more times as many of those things.  :)

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

But there's an NPC you talk to, that adjusts your Notoriety.  You can set it so that Door Missions spawn as if you level was -1 to +4 compared to what you actually are, and so that the minimum team size is anywhere from just you (x1) up to a full eight members (x8).

Two people, same mission; one is at -1/x0 - most of the enemies will con Blue, some White, and an occasional Lieutenant might be Yellow.  The other is at +4/x8.  EVERYTHING IS RED AND PURPLE, and there's six or more times as many of those things.  :)

You don’t even need to see a NPC.  In you chat bar, where you type is a little chat icon.  Press the icon and you get the Notoriety menu

• You can set the mob size
  • You can set the difficulty level of mobs
  • Whether you want to face bosses or not
  • whether you want to face AV’s in missions at an AV level or Elite Boss

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

You don’t even need to see a NPC.  In you chat bar, where you type is a little chat icon.  Press the icon and you get the Notoriety menu

• You can set the mob size
  • You can set the difficulty level of mobs
  • Whether you want to face bosses or not
  • whether you want to face AV’s in missions at an AV level or Elite Boss

Thanks so much for this!

"Stand By to Stand By"

But there's an NPC you talk to, that adjusts your Notoriety.

Or... you can click on the speech bubble icon at the lower right corner of your chat window, select "Notoriety" from the menu that pops up, and make your changes there, without having to find one of the NPCs to do it.

You can talk to the Field Analysts or Fateweavers but, you don't need to. Notoriety can be changed by clicking on the Chat Bubble icon on your chat window.

Also I heard you didn't need to talk to an NPC, you can just select your notoriety by clicking on the little button icon to the right of your chat bubble window.

[/Gilligan]

:P

No way!  Is the chat bubble near the NPC’s?  :P

Also I heard you didn't need to talk to an NPC, you can just select your notoriety by clicking on the little button icon to the right of your chat bubble window.

[/Gilligan]

:P

... really?!?  :o  I ... I will have to check that out, next time I log in ...  :o

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism