Power Pool Mini-God Modes (Rune of Protection and Unleash Potential)

MonteCarla

I've only really started looking at these two powers now.

They're like mini-God mode defensive powers, at Tier 3 in the Sorcery and Force of Will power pools.

What sort of builds are people using them in?

I get that Rune of Protection (uptime 60s out of unmodifiable 180s) is popular for the mez protection (for those of you who don't indulge in unlimited START Vendor buffs like I do), but I can also see it being really nice on Resistance Brutes/Tanks to push your lesser Resistances to the cap. Damn, that's nearly +40% resistance to all when slotted, for 1/3 of the time! (Tank/Defender values) 

Unleash Potential (60s out of 600s, so out of 150s on a very high recharge build) gives +24% Defence slotted!

That would be extra nice for Blasters or other squishies, but not as good as mez protection...?

The big downside to both is having to pick two other powers. 

Force of Will has:

Weaken Resolve, a -Def/-Res power that can slot an Achilles Heel -Res and be a decent boss-up debuff ( with a horrible animation! 😞 )

Mighty Leap - a superjump clone with a stompy long-recharge AoE thrown in for free

Project Will - a mediocre ranged attack.

Sorcery has:

Arcane Bolt - beloved of my Controllers

Spirit Ward - an OK-ish absorb shield for an ally

Mystic Flight, cool looking fly with free teleport!

Enflame is nice, but it's also Tier 3 too.

If you're prepared to let these pools dictate your travel powers, they're pretty good.

I've taken Force of Will on my Invulnerability tank partly just for fun, and I'm planning Sorcery on a Controller, but kinda feel they're the wrong way round for the +Res and +Def buffs.

Tell me your stories on how you use them!

Edited by MonteCarla

I take RoP quite a lot, almost exclusively on squishies. On controllers and defenders I'll take Arcane Bolt and Mystic Flight. On blasters I'll take Spirit Ward, but it's just muling a +absorb proc and rarely sees any use.

I recently took Unleash Potential on my Psi/SR scrapper, but slotted it with a Preventative Medicine set. I had no need for more defense (and skipped Elude), but the +regen and +recovery are useful. Mighty Leap is a no-brainer, and I'll 2-slot Weaken Resolve with an acc IO and a -res proc. 

BTW, you omitted Wall of Force from the list of powers in Force of Will.

• Like 1

Don't forget Unrelenting in the Presence pool! The predicate picks in the Presence pool are generally not as useful IMO.

I frequently take either Sorcery or Force of Will, and the rationales go something like this...

If I want to have a power to free my character of mezz effects, I'll go Sorcery... I usually will pick Mystic Flight as the travel power, and Spirit Ward as a mule for the %absorb piece from Preventive Medicine. Rune of Protection becomes a mule for at least one Resistance set global piece. I have taken Arcane Bolt for flavor, or when I could drop it in as a ranged attack. Enflame isn't terrible, but a character needs a specific reason to take it because usually I can find another power that I can leverage for better overall effect.

For Force of Will: I rather like Mighty Leap as a travel power, as it can be really fast for crossing zones. I almost always take Weaken Resolve on the path to Wall of Force  (I like having a ranged cone at level 14!), and if I have a leftover power pick then I will pick up Unleash Potential. I have a couple of characters that Wall of Force didn't make sense to have so it got skipped. The build issue I have with Unleash Potential is that it requires slots to be really useful (if can mule pieces, but that seems like such a waster) and (IMO) the build needs some global recharge to get it to the point where a character can really count on it. Unrelenting is similar in its need for slots.

I feel like I have one character that opted for Project Will over Weaken Resolve... if so it must have been a circumstance where I not only wanted a ranged attack, but I also had enough slots to put into it for some sort of enhancement set bonus.

I've tried to get as much mileage out of the Experimentation pool, but I am less impressed. I really like Corrosive Vial, and Experimental Injection is a decent enough power to mule a healing piece. Adrenal Boost is another long-recharge excellent set of self-boosts, but I kinda hate that the slotting options are so limited. I think I've only picked this power for certain Tankers for which I've specifically not hit certain levels of resistance (because of powers or slotting choices) for damage types, such that clicking it is enough to cover a situation when I need it.

I have really mixed feelings about Speed of Sound as a travel power. I like the Jaunt aspect, I often use it as a sort of Combat Teleport. I'm mostly meh on Super Speed as a travel power because of zone geometry... but what really gets me is that as soon as I jump while traveling with Speed of Sound, I basically lose forward momentum and become slooooow. I always feel like I have to have extra temp powers that are constantly being used to get around zones.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MonteCarla said:

I've only really started looking at these two powers now.

They're like mini-God mode defensive powers, at Tier 3 in the Sorcery and Force of Will power pools.

Then don't forget https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Presence#Unrelenting

You channel your inner confidence to become a relentless opponent, gaining significant boosts to your damage, recovery and attack speed for a short while. Additionally, you will be able to fight though the pain caused by opponents, healing continuously over time. You can also use this power to fight your way back to the living after defeat - if you are defeated when you use this power, you will be revived with 50% health. You must be level 14 and have trained any two other Presence pool powers before you can train Unrelenting.

• Like 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

Wow, how did I miss Unrelenting?

I guess because I took Presence once, on my first Sentinel to get a taunt.

How does it work exactly? You get the buffs if you click it while you're alive, but if you're KO'd it rezzes you first (at half health) and then gives you the buffs?

And yeah, I suppose I omitted Wall of Force because I'm not that impressed with it, @Uun 

It's low damage and 33% chance of knockback, so it doesn't do either of it's things well. I've taken it on my tank but probably wont do so again.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wall of Force on Tankers, slotted with %damage (because Tanker Ranged Damage Scaling), is something I find fun to use.

I primarily use Unrelenting as a damage buff, or when characters are being ground down by enemies. It also is a rez.

• Thumbs Up 1

Most of my builds at this point run either Force of Will, Experimentation, or Sorcery.

Unleash Potential is a catch-all power.  I would like to 6-slot it if I can (Lotg +rech, Lotg D/R, Panacea H+5, Panacea H/R+5, 2x lvl 53 E/R DSO).

On scrappers I've been moving towards Experimentation, since Moonbeam/Shadow Meld is such a good epic pool pair.  Adrenal Booster or Corrosive Vial depends on how much AoE I've got.  the pull power on Axe Cyclone now practically demands Corrosive Vial.

I find Unrelenting ok, but not stellar.  I'd rather have Invoke Panic!

Edited by Yomo Kimyata
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Staff of Aesculapius 1

Who run Bartertown?

6 hours ago, MonteCarla said:

How does it work exactly? You get the buffs if you click it while you're alive, but if you're KO'd it rezzes you first (at half health) and then gives you the buffs?

If you still have HP - 

10 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

You channel your inner confidence to become a relentless opponent, gaining significant boosts to your damage, recovery and attack speed for a short while. Additionally, you will be able to fight though the pain caused by opponents, healing continuously over time.

If you are unconscious/zero HP -

10 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

You can also use this power to fight your way back to the living after defeat - if you are defeated when you use this power, you will be revived with 50% health.

So a buff if still up, and a rez if you are down.

The character I have it on uses it more for the buff than for the rez. I think I've only used it for a rez once.

2 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

Experimentation

Good one, @Yomo Kimyata

I forgot about https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Experimentation#Adrenal_Booster

You inject yourself with a concentrated experimental serum that boosts your damage, recharge, chance to hit and secondary effects for a short time. Adrenal Booster requires you to have 2 powers from the Experimentation power pool.

• Like 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

• 5 weeks later
Posted (edited)

I've found the combo of RoP and Indomitable Will to be an excellent way to have basically mez protection full time from level 30 onward on a Controller.  RoP takes the pressure off needing very high recharge on IW to get essentially full coverage.  While there are gaps where both are on cooldown it is relatively short period making it easier for defenses plus breakfrees to cover the gap till IW is ready again.

PS I don't immediately click RoP but will click it during IW cooldown to break mez if needed

Edited by Doomguide2005

A lot of my solo builds end up doing rop>melee core>rop. But I'm not big on building squishies for defense unless they already have it in their set (ie traps, time, etc)

I have powerboost on my defender. I also have unleash potential. It's pretty good. ends up being "too good to use" though ha, but sure cures any situation that trick Arrow can't solve on its own.

I cycle unleash as my t9 is about to crash on my /ea stalker and my /nin scrapper. They are both super high rech builds so the t9 is up again as unleash expires. Both those basically feel like you are playing perma t9 mode with a few speed bumps to retoggle every 4 min.

• Like 1