Force Field Aura

I've been thinking... yeah, I know... bad habit.... Anyway, I was looking through the auras already available to see what works as a force field for Tankers, Brutes, or whatever that want their defense to be force field like. The best option I saw was Victorian Decor. It has clean lines and follows the exterior of the body nicely, but the patterning doesn't work universally and it only applies to select body parts. There was also Battle Fury, but the presentation is too erratic. Glowing Aura can also be used, but it has no defined edge, just a filled area.

So what about something else? Maybe just a bubble taken from the Force Field set and made available as an aura? Or better in my opinion, make a new aura derived from Victorian Decor, except that encompasses the character and lacks the patterning, maybe just a moving sheen the defines the barrier instead. Thoughts?

• Like 8
  • Thumbs Down 1

The classic Force Field bubble around the character would be a nice aura, doubly so if it's got a Combat Only option.

If it had multiple location options, too, like a small one that's head-only or bubbles that only go around the hands, that'd be a bonus.  Probably too much work for that, though... just the single bubble would be enough.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Laucianna said:

Luminous and Umbral auras from the Prismatic Aether give you bubbles ❤️ 

Is there a preview for them? I don't seem them on the wiki and I don't have Prismatics to check, so I only see Warshade and Peacebringer effects listed as their effect.

(Edit: And maybe we can have an option for starting force field defense characters that doesn't cost 250 Prismatic Aethers?)

Edited by Rudra

6 minutes ago, Haijinx said:

Scorpion shield energy glow effect

That could work. Not a fan of the energy wisps inside the area, but it could work for a bubble force field effect. So maybe get a version of that ported into a selectable aura for character costumes?

(Though I would still like to see an expanded version of Victorian Decor for more form fitting fields as well.)

3 minutes ago, FupDup said:

IMO we should just add some bubble alternate FX to Energy Aura since that powerset thematically seems to fit a "forcefield" kind of feel already, minus the FX difference. 

That can work too. I would rather an aura so anyone that wants to have a personal force field as part of their character concept can, but if the devs prefer to add bubble alternate effects to Energy Aura instead, I would be fine with that.

Would be cool if they can make a force field aura that conforms more to the shape of the body. Thinking something like the sonic resonance auras but with the force field bubble FX. I love the idea though, would definitely use this for a few characters.

Edited by Ston

16 hours ago, Rudra said:

That can work too. I would rather an aura so anyone that wants to have a personal force field as part of their character concept can, but if the devs prefer to add bubble alternate effects to Energy Aura instead, I would be fine with that.

not trying to be a stickler but cant we already with incarnates?

or is there a specific effect you are looking for?

id like the Force fields to shatter once the effect ends or you take damage that would KO your character

are any of these feasible?

Cable aka Soldier X

image.jpeg.7862d06ed6206ede3d499ca75156953d.jpeg

15 Superpowers You Didn't Know Magneto Had

Final fantasy arc - Jaune Bio - Page 4 ...

Using Force Fields Effectively » Learning SC2

Redfall Launching on Xbox Game Pass is ...

War World Xbox Live Gameplay - Force ...

• Like 1

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?

2 hours ago, Ston said:

Would be cool if they can make a force field aura that conforms more to the shape of the body. Thinking something like the sonic resonance auras but with the force field bubble FX. I love the idea though, would definitely use this for a few characters.

That is why my preference would be a derivative of the Victorian Decor aura. It follows the body with nice clean lines.

2 hours ago, twozerofoxtrot said:

All for the OP, but I do feel Scorpion Shield and the alt effect for EnA's Entropic Aura kind of already do this. Maybe not exactly as Rudra has outlined but it definitely seems to me like a Force Field.

Scorpion Shield isn't available until level 35. As for Entropic Aura, I haven't played an Energy Aura character, but I am trying to provide a means for a Willpower or Invulnerability character to have their powers derived from a protective field and for characters that use an energy field as a life support system for the hostile environment (to them) of Earth.

1 hour ago, Saiyajinzoningen said:

not trying to be a stickler but cant we already with incarnates?

You can't start as an incarnate.

1 hour ago, Saiyajinzoningen said:

are any of these feasible?

Something like the 2nd one is what I would prefer but the 4th one is acceptable too. If you go into the character creator and look at the Victorian Decor aura, and then expand that to cover the rest of the body too, or at least remove the patterning so it just looks like an energy field, you will have a better idea of what I am trying for.

@Saiyajinzoningen: Hisako Ichiki? Nice. Heart react for that alone.

@Rudra: +1 on both the bubble-style and form-fitting auras. Minor tangent - IIRC, lower graphic settings display the Victorian Decor aura as a full, solid model without the traveling fade effect, like floating tattoos; it would be nice if that was also added as an option for higher graphics settings.

1 minute ago, megaericzero said:

IIRC, lower graphic settings display the Victorian Decor aura as a full, solid model without the traveling fade effect, like floating tattoos; it would be nice if that was also added as an option for higher graphics settings.

That could work. One without the tattoos would be better, but that could still work.

21 hours ago, Rudra said:

I've been thinking... yeah, I know... bad habit.... Anyway, I was looking through the auras already available to see what works as a force field for Tankers, Brutes, or whatever that want their defense to be force field like. The best option I saw was Victorian Decor. It has clean lines and follows the exterior of the body nicely, but the patterning doesn't work universally and it only applies to select body parts. There was also Battle Fury, but the presentation is too erratic. Glowing Aura can also be used, but it has no defined edge, just a filled area.

So what about something else? Maybe just a bubble taken from the Force Field set and made available as an aura? Or better in my opinion, make a new aura derived from Victorian Decor, except that encompasses the character and lacks the patterning, maybe just a moving sheen the defines the barrier instead. Thoughts?

The auras available are just fine.  The available armor powersets have plenty of auras to work with already, some even with additional options available, and then there are the various costume auras and stuff available with Prismatic Aethers.  This hardly seems like it belongs in the Suggestions & Feedback section, so take it to General.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

1 minute ago, Player2 said:

This hardly seems like it belongs in the Suggestions & Feedback section, so take it to General.

Why would a request for something to be added to the game belong in General instead of Suggestions and Feedback?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Rudra said:

I was looking through the auras already available to see what works as a force field for Tankers, Brutes, or whatever that want their defense to be force field like. The best option I saw was Victorian Decor. It has clean lines and follows the exterior of the body nicely, but the patterning doesn't work universally and it only applies to select body parts. There was also Battle Fury, but the presentation is too erratic. Glowing Aura can also be used, but it has no defined edge, just a filled area.

1 hour ago, Rudra said:

Why would a request for something to be added to the game belong in General instead of Suggestions and Feedback?

There's no request here.  You're discussing ideas that might work as force field auras without even indicating what powerset you want it for.  It's not a specific request for "Hey, please make [specific request] available as alternate effects option for [specific powerset]," and more of a "I want a Force Field effect for a [melee ATs] defense powers option."   Where's the suggestion or feedback?  Until you come up with the suggestion or feedback regarding a specific powerset, I think this really belongs as more of a General topic of discussion.

Unless you're suggesting that they add a Force Field like option to all melee defense powersets.  In which case, I think that's a big thumbs down because just use the existing options and pretend it's a force field.  You don't need a bubble aura to call an aura a force field.

Edited by Player2
  • Thumbs Down 2

8 minutes ago, Player2 said:

There's no request here.  You're discussing ideas that might work as force field auras without even indicating what powerset you want it for.  It's not a specific request for "Hey, please make [specific request] available as alternate effects option for [specific powerset]," and more of a "I want a Force Field effect for a [melee ATs] defense powers option."   Where's the suggestion or feedback?  Until you come up with the suggestion or feedback regarding a specific powerset, I think this really belongs as more of a General topic of discussion.

Unless you're suggesting that they add a Force Field like option to all melee defense powersets.  In which case, I think that's a big thumbs down because just use the existing options and pretend it's a force field.  You don't need a bubble aura to call an aura a force field.

Then you are misunderstanding what I am asking for. I am not asking for a new power set. I am asking for auras that can work for characters with force fields for any reason. Be they life support fields, keep the muck of my costume fields, defensive fields, or whatever. It isn't an armor set I am asking for. It isn't an AT option I am asking for. It is a costume option that any AT regardless of powers can choose to take for their character concept.

17 minutes ago, Player2 said:

Where's the suggestion or feedback?

The thread has been a suggestion for additional costume auras (not power customization) since the start:

23 hours ago, Rudra said:

make a new aura derived from Victorian Decor,

2 hours ago, Player2 said:

This hardly seems like it belongs in the Suggestions & Feedback section, so take it to General.

Well then... why don't you just log in to your moderator account and move the thread then?

What's that you say? You can't do that because you're not a moderator? Oh yeah, you're not a moderator. So why are you telling people what and where they're allowed to post?

I like your suggestion @Rudra. A cosmetic aura that looks like a force field is a great idea.

• Thumbs Down 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

24 minutes ago, Rudra said:

Then you are misunderstanding what I am asking for. I am not asking for a new power set. I am asking for auras that can work for characters with force fields for any reason. Be they life support fields, keep the muck of my costume fields, defensive fields, or whatever. It isn't an armor set I am asking for. It isn't an AT option I am asking for. It is a costume option that any AT regardless of powers can choose to take for their character concept.

So are you asking for alternate animation/effects for all the existing powersets because you want something else?  I think the most effort this deserves might be to add the force field bubble as a costume option under the tier 3 Prismatic Aether effects.  No need to tie it into any of the power sets.  But still, I think that would cause confusion for people who actually play force field and because it could be confuse them as to whether or not its time to reapply buffs... so still, I think it's a poor idea and give it a continued thumbs down.

Just play the effects you have available and pretend they are a force field... anything can be a force field; it doesn't have to look a specific way.

3 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

Well then... why don't you just log in to your moderator account and move the thread then?

What's that you say? You can't do that because you're not a moderator? Oh yeah, you're not a moderator. So why are you telling people what and where they're allowed to post?

I like your suggestion @Rudra. A cosmetic aura that looks like a force field is a great idea.

I didn't say what people are allowed to post.  I suggested that it sounds more like a General topic of discussion.  So what is so difficult about that that you feel the need to misinterpret what I said?  Nothing, you just like the idea and clearly making an issue of what I said to back a half-formed idea.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, megaericzero said:

The thread has been a suggestion for additional costume auras (not power customization) since the start:

This thread has been a discussion about what would look good as force field looking auras on brutes and tankers.  If there was any suggestion going on, it was asking what would look best but not actually proposing any kind of suggestion for adding to the costume auras or as alternate power effects, hence my initial confusion over the topic.  It's entirely to vague to be a suggestion... it's more like a musing and invitation of opinions.