Are branded character names illegal?

1 hour ago, Sanguinesun said:

We just got official licensing and people want to already push the boundaries so we potentially lose the licensure.  Color me surprised....

It's a good thing that much of the player base is still self-policing and reporting these occurrences when they spot them.

• Like 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

On 4/24/2024 at 12:10 PM, Lazarillo said:

From what I recall of the way the original EULA was set up, I suspect he still would've been, because it basically said "you're giving NCSoft the right to use any characters you create and play on our servers to uses as our own intellectual property"

One of the reasons for clauses like this is so that NCsoft/Cryptic/Paragon Studios can use screenshots of the game in advertising without having to seek out and negotiate the rights to the likeness of any player characters shown in the screenshot -- you're giving them a perpetual license in advance, so they can use whatever images from the game they want without concern.