Settling in to a Tank

Snarky

Posted (edited)

I started on Brutes.  I love redside.  It was a different era.  Time changes all things.  Even old vampires.  

I asked yesterday, both here and in the Brute forum, which is better for Dark Melee.  A Tank, or a Brute.  Truthfully I still think Brute edges it out.  I am not going to run a hundred experiments and record all the data.  Brutes do better at ST than Tanks and Dark Melee has always been an ST focused set.  

But nothing exists in a vacuum.  I run Dark Dark.  Now, for those who do not read all my ramblings let me get to the points.  I always take all Dark auras.  The bottom line is the Fear and Stun auras create a “faux defense” that makes up for Dark’s lack of defense mitigation in nearly all situations. Without needing defense debuff resistance.  So, three auras with  50% greater radius…. A damage, a fear, a stun.   Plus the greater effectiveness of Dark Melee AoE.

So, now that you know the auras are definitely better, the Dark Melee is better aoe if still not as good at ST, as on a Brute, and… better health and resistance values on a Tank.

Even a stubborn old vampire knows when to just take the win and fade away.   Sigh, time to badge.  At least I have Really Hard Way on that Tank from the back shelf lol.  Nearly impossible to get these days.  

Edited by Snarky
  • Like 1

On my Dark/Electric Tanker, I skipped Oppressive Gloom (the Stun toggle) because I have a more reliable Lightning Clap. Otherwise... yes I took Death Shroud and Cloak of Fear. I delayed taking those toggles however, as they don't have very good Accuracy on top of the Endurance costs. I put a Kismet +ToHit piece in Cloak of Darkness to help with those, but each of them still needs a lot of help. My slotting on Cloak of Fear ended up as 6x Siphon Insight. I convinced myself that applying a PBAoE -ToHit was probably better than whatever the Terrorize is doing.

9 minutes ago, tidge said:

On my Dark/Electric Tanker, I skipped Oppressive Gloom (the Stun toggle) because I have a more reliable Lightning Clap. Otherwise... yes I took Death Shroud and Cloak of Fear. I delayed taking those toggles however, as they don't have very good Accuracy on top of the Endurance costs. I put a Kismet +ToHit piece in Cloak of Darkness to help with those, but each of them still needs a lot of help. My slotting on Cloak of Fear ended up as 6x Siphon Insight. I convinced myself that applying a PBAoE -ToHit was probably better than whatever the Terrorize is doing.

The accuracy problems is something I have long been aware of, and try to cram +to hit and +accuracy onto builds.  The Fear and Stun cloaks do heavy lifting on "faux defense"  especially against garbage, leaving your armor and Health to stand against the bosses/AVs.  

Oppressive gloom is great against big bosses/AVs and for pulling from across a room.  Since it is an AoE, and controls really agro, it acts like a net pulling mobs from one direction to you.

Here is my current build

Tanker - Dark Dark v7.01.mbd

My experience is low.  And all my Dark Melee and Dark Armor builds are being reviewed for updating.

But I only take Oppressive Gloom on my Dark/Energy Tanker to combine the Stun aura with the many Stun attacks.

And I've decided Cloak of Fear is a bad Power and there will always be a better Power to pick in any build.  I go into that more in this post.

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/51311-relearning-an-important-lesson-about-dark-armor-and-knockback/#comment-646869

7 hours ago, Jacke said:

My experience is low.  And all my Dark Melee and Dark Armor builds are being reviewed for updating.

But I only take Oppressive Gloom on my Dark/Energy Tanker to combine the Stun aura with the many Stun attacks.

And I've decided Cloak of Fear is a bad Power and there will always be a better Power to pick in any build.  I go into that more in this post.

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/51311-relearning-an-important-lesson-about-dark-armor-and-knockback/#comment-646869

I said oppressive gloom.  I misremembered the words. It is darkest night.  -dam -tohit in an area on target as a toggle.  

the fear cloak is gold.  

• Like 1

I'm reworking my Dark Armor Tanker, primarily pulling 4 slots from Cloak of Fear and juggling the order of powers taken to improve Quality of (un)Life. I've decided to lean only into the -ToHit component (HO: Lysosome and a 50+5 Accuracy/Endurance) and to further delay taking Cloak of Fear (level 35) as I find neither I nor teams need it for lower level content. My character has enough other tools to use to get the attention of enemies, so it isn't as if the Aura aspect is critical.

I used those four slots to get to 14 points of KB protection (because I derped and had forgotten this part of Dark) , higher resistances from Dark Embrace and included the Power Transfer %Heal piece, without having to change my other slotting .

What's the thinking on slotting Soul Transfer? I will only have a single slot in it. Right now it has a %Lethal piece in it for the lulz, but I am wondering if I should have it slotted with Recharge just because when I need it I typically need it again ASAP.

13 minutes ago, tidge said:

What's the thinking on slotting Soul Transfer? I will only have a single slot in it. Right now it has a %Lethal piece in it for the lulz, but I am wondering if I should have it slotted with Recharge just because when I need it I typically need it again ASAP.

Might be dumb but I just toss either the power transfer or preventative medicine procs in soul transfer.  It's a nice one slot wonder power

17 minutes ago, mcdoogss said:

Might be dumb but I just toss either the power transfer or preventative medicine procs in soul transfer.  It's a nice one slot wonder power

Pretty sure those powers will only activate the procs if the powers are used.  You're likely better off putting those in health/stamina.

Also on a dark armor tank, how often do you die that you need Soul Transfer? I have several dark armor tanks and I'm having difficulty counting on more than one hand how many times they've died combined. As such I don't bother taking Soul Transfer. It would be a lot more useful if you could use it while alive.

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, SeraphimKensai said:

Pretty sure those powers will only activate the procs if the powers are used.  You're likely better off putting those in health/stamina.

Also on a dark armor tank, how often do you die that you need Soul Transfer? I have several dark armor tanks and I'm having difficulty counting on more than one hand how many times they've died combined. As such I don't bother taking Soul Transfer. It would be a lot more useful if you could use it while alive.

I just loaded my Dark/Dark with the prev med absorb proc in soul transfer and it procced as expected when i was at like half health.  So that one is a 'universal' proc and just needs to be slotted somewhere.  I thought I read that power transfer proc is similar and just needs to be slotted somewhere, but on this character its in physical perfection so cant test that.  Hmm wait i have an unslotter or 2...

Ok you are right about power transfer, that needs to be in an auto power or will only trigger on activation.  Preventative medicine absorb proc however will trigger based on your health bar, and it just has to be slotted somewhere.

Edited by mcdoogss

21 minutes ago, mcdoogss said:

I have the %Absorb piece elsewhere (this character has taken 4 of 5 Experimentation pool power). I believe that Power Transfer %Heal only will work if used (I added that to Stamina, an Auto power).

The Preventive Maintenance %Absorb piece will trigger if included anywhere on the build as it is a global.

3 minutes ago, SeraphimKensai said:

My hand also includes more than one finger, and I have needed to rez at least once. I run my characters along the edge of a hot knife(*1), so when my teams' performance goes pear-shaped... it is usually really bad.

I'll post my build later, and I know it won't satisfy most players who want to emphasize one or more different aspects, but it is fun for me. In the build I'll share, I certainly could add "one more" LotG Global +Recharge mule (but I don't really need it). The only other base-slot-only choice of a power that appeals to me(*2) is Focused Accuracy (Energy Master)... because this Tanker build doesn't have any Epic pools taken I could drop it in... but then Focused Accuracy would be one more toggle on an already toggle-heavy Tanker, even though it would be an excellent choice. I rationalize not taking the obvious benefits of Focused Accuracy by making other build choices to (partially) mitigate not having that late-game toggle via use of the Kismet +ToHit piece and getting Global +Accuracy bonuses from enhancement sets. I can't really mitigate -ToHit but if I wanted more global Perception I could make a trivial change to existing slotting and include the Rectified Reticle global piece (in Build Up).

(*1) My build doesn't include the Fighting pool, and dedicates slots almost entirely to the Secondary and Primary powers... so no reaching for the "defense caps" via Tough/Weave or investing more slots in Maneuvers.

(*2) My build has an AoE utility/attack at level 22 from Corrosive Vial, which consumes slots that might otherwise go to a first epic/patron power at level 35. I mention this because when *I* want some sort of "extra AoE" attack that would otherwise from an epic/patron pool, I almost always decide I'd rather have something similar much sooner than level 35. YMMV. 

My build has (at least!) one other peculiar choice that I made strictly for Quality-of-Life: I have both Speed of Sound (at level 6, primary travel power) and Super Jump (at level 26, holding the Winter's Gift Slow Resistance piece). I find Speed of Sound to be fine, up until the character using it jumps... at which point the travel speed becomes terrible... and there are enough things to jump over/around that it really bothers me. This build allowed me to slot in Super Jump with the only sacrifice being delaying one of three "self-help" powers (Adrenal Booster, Build Up or Cloak of Fear).

On 5/1/2024 at 2:58 AM, Snarky said:

So, now that you know the auras are definitely better

The only good aura in dark is the damage one and OG. CoF has terribad accuracy and is unreliable, but if it makes you happy take it for your builds. 

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

Here is my revisited build, motivated to get KB protection up to 14 points.

Sorry I don't MIDS.

Tanker

Primary Power Set: Dark Armor

Secondary Power Set: Electrical Melee

Power Pool: Experimentation

Power Pool: Leaping

Power Pool: Concealment

Power Pool: Leadership

Spoiler

Level 1:                 Dark Embrace   

(A) Gladiator's Armor - End/Resist: Level 50+5

(*) Gladiator's Armor – Resist: Level 50+5

(*) Gladiator's Armor - TP Protection +3% Def (All)

(*) Steadfast Protection - Resistance/+Def 3%

(*) Steadfast Protection - Knockback Reduction (4 points)

Level 1:                 Havok Punch

(A) Superior Gauntleted Fist - Accuracy/Damage

(*) Superior Gauntleted Fist - Damage/RechargeTime

(*) Superior Gauntleted Fist - Accuracy/Damage/RechargeTime

(*) Superior Gauntleted Fist - Damage/Endurance/RechargeTime

(*) Superior Gauntleted Fist - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/RechargeTime

Level 2:                 Murky Cloud     

(A) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance

(*) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance

(*) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance/RechargeTime

(*) Unbreakable Guard - +Max HP

Level 4:                 Jacob’s Ladder 

(A) Superior Might of the Tanker - Accuracy/Damage

(*) Superior Might of the Tanker - Damage/Endurance/Recharge

(*) Superior Might of the Tanker - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge

(*) Superior Might of the Tanker - Recharge/Chance for +Res(All)

(*) Perfect Zinger - Chance for Damage (Psi)

(*) Scirocco's Dervish - Chance for Damage (Lethal)

Level 6:                 Speed of Sound               

(A) Blessing of the Zephyr - Travel/Endurance

(*) Blessing of the Zephyr - Knockback Reduction (4 points)

Level 8: Dark Regeneration         

(A) Touch of the Nictus - Accuracy/Endurance/Recharge

(*) Touch of the Nictus - Accuracy/Endurance/Heal/HitPoints/Regeneration

(*) Touch of the Nictus - Chance for Damage (Negative)

(*) Eradication - Chance for Damage (Energy)

(*) Theft of Essence - Chance for +Endurance

Level 10:              Obsidian Shield

(A) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance

(*) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance

Level 12:              Cloak of Darkness           

(A) Shield Wall - +Res (Teleportation), +5% Res (All)

(*) Shield Wall - Defense/Endurance: Level 50+5

(*) Shield Wall - Defense: Level 50+5

(*) Kismet - Accuracy +6%

(*) Reactive Defenses - Scaling Resist Damage

(*) Luck of the Gambler - Recharge Speed

Level 14:              Taunt   

(A) Mocking Beratement - Taunt

(*) Mocking Beratement - Taunt/Range

(*) Mocking Beratement - Taunt/Recharge

(*) Mocking Beratement - Recharge

(*) Mocking Beratement - Taunt/Recharge/Range

(*) Mocking Beratement - Accuracy/Recharge

Level 16:              Thunder Strike 

(A) Multi-Strike - Accuracy/Endurance: Level 50+5

(*) Superior Gauntleted Fist - RechargeTime/+Absorb

(*) Eradication - Chance for Damage (Energy)

(*) Perfect Zinger - Chance for Damage (Psi)

(*) Explosive Strike - Chance for Damage (Smashing)

Level 18:              Death Shroud   

(*) Fury of the Gladiator - Damage/Endurance/Recharge: Level 50+5

(*) Fury of the Gladiator - Accuracy/Endurance/Recharge: Level 50+5

(*) Fury of the Gladiator - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge: Level 50+5

Level 20:              Experimental Injection 

(A) Preventive Medicine - Chance for +Absorb

Level 22:              Corrosive Vial   

(A) Positron's Blast - Chance for Damage (Energy)

(*) Bombardment - Chance for Damage (Fire)

(*) Javelin Volley - Chance for Damage (Lethal)

(*) Touch of Lady Grey - Chance for Damage (Negative)

(*) Javelin Volley - Accuracy/Endurance/Recharge: Level 50+5

(*) Ragnarok - Accuracy/Recharge: Level 50+5

Level 24:              Chain Induction               

(A) Hecatomb - Damage: Level 50+5

(*) Hecatomb - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge: Level 50

(*) Hecatomb - Accuracy/Recharge: Level 50

(*) Hecatomb - Damage/Endurance: Level 50+5

(*) Hecatomb - Chance for Damage (Negative): Level 50

(*) Gladiator's Strike - Chance for Damage (Smashing)

Level 26:              Super Jump       

(A) Winters Gift - Slow Resistance (20%)

Level 28:              Lightning Clap   

(A) Absolute Amazement - Stun: Level 50+5

(*) Absolute Amazement - Stun/Recharge: Level 50+5

(*) Absolute Amazement - Accuracy/Stun/Recharge: Level 50+5

(*) Absolute Amazement - Accuracy/Recharge: Level 50+5

(*) Absolute Amazement - Endurance/Stun: Level 50+5

(*) Sudden Acceleration - Knockback to Knockdown

Level 30:              Lightning Rod    

(A) Armageddon - Damage/Recharge: Level 50+5

(*) Armageddon - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge: Level 50+5

(*) Armageddon - Accuracy/Recharge: Level 50+5

(*) Armageddon - Damage/Endurance: Level 50+5

(*) Armageddon - Chance for Fire Damage: Level 50

Level 32:              Adrenal Booster              

(A) Recharge Reduction IO: Level 50+5

(*) Recharge Reduction IO: Level 50+5

Level 35:              Cloak of Fear     

(A) HO Lysosome (Acc/-ToHit/-Defense): Level 53

(*) Nightmare - Accuracy/Endurance: Level 50+5

Level 38:              Build Up              

(A) Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control - Chance for Build Up

(*) Recharge Reduction IO: Level 50+5

Level 41:              Maneuvers        

(A) Luck of the Gambler - Recharge Speed

Level 44:              Combat Jumping

Level 47:              Soul Transfer    

(A) Scirocco’s Dervish - Chance for Damage (Lethal)

Level 49:              Stealth 

Level 1: Brawl    

(A) Empty

Level 1: Sprint   

(A) Endurance Reduction: Level 50+5

Level 2: Rest      

(A) Interrupt Reduction: Level 50

Level 1: Athletic Run      

Level 2: Swift     

(A) Run Speed IO: Level 50+5

Level 2: Health  

(A) Panacea - +Hit Points/Endurance

(*) Numina's Convalescence - +Regeneration/+Recover

(*) Numina's Convalescence - Heal

(*) Miracle - +Recovery

Level 2: Hurdle 

(A) Jumping IO: Level 50+5

Level 2: Stamina               

(A) Performance Shifter - Chance for +End

(*) Performance Shifter - EndMod

(*) Power Transfer - Chance for Heal

Defenses could be improved by swapping out %damage in the attacks for (Superior Winter) sets. Folks who crave more S/L could swap into the Fitness pool. Slots could be shuffled around to improve +Defense from Maneuvers. It would be straightforward to add a single-target ranged attack (to include a Superior Winter's Bite set) but doing all these things would radically move away from my vision of the character.

fire armor everything, color everything black

fire/dark melee

fire/staff

fire/fire

fire/ice

fire just fire armor everything

ATOs in burn for maximum recharge even at low levels

29 minutes ago, Seed22 said:

The only good aura in dark is the damage one and OG. CoF has terribad accuracy and is unreliable, but if it makes you happy take it for your builds. 

The inherent Accuracy of Cloak of Fear is IMO highly problematic. I especially do not like that its very low base accuracy can shift all of my other AoE attacks into infrequent Streakbreaker territory. This was another contributing factor for me to delay it in my build; I didn't want to have to think about the Streakbreaker aspect when playing low (enough) level content!

I think with the slotting I used (see above), plus Global Accuracy bonuses and the Kismet +ToHit piece (toggled on) the final Accuracy I end up with for Cloak of Fear should be north of 120%. I usually shoot for more than that, but I felt it was the best I could do with minimal slotting to get Accuracy, Endurance Reduction and one other effect (for me -ToHit).

3 hours ago, tidge said:

What's the thinking on slotting Soul Transfer? I will only have a single slot in it.

My thinking on all self-rez powers is to leave them with just the base slot and slot them with a L50+5 Heal/RechRed IO (usually Doctored Wounds as that's a Yellow Recipe to craft, use a L30 one, then Market-convert the IO to L50, slot it, and boost it).  That way the Toon has better HP after being rezzed and the power comes back a bit faster.  Extra Slots should go elsewhere for better use.

As for Cloak of Fear, as I've expressed elsewhere, that one is such a poor power that I skip it, even on Dark/Dark Melee Toons.  (Hopefully some day it will be buffed.)  That you're pushing to a higher Level in your build means you realise its weaknesses that are barely propped up by the rest of the build.  There has got to be another Power you could pick that has better utility.

1 minute ago, Jacke said:

As for Cloak of Fear, as I've expressed elsewhere, that one is such a poor power that I skip it, even on Dark/Dark Melee Toons.  (Hopefully some day it will be buffed.)  That you're pushing to a higher Level in your build means you realise its weaknesses that are barely propped up by the rest of the build.  There has got to be another Power you could pick that has better utility.

I suspect that @Snarky wants Cloak of Fear primarily for thematic reasons. I have a Dark Armor Scrapper that also chose it, but for theme.

For the Tanker, I think Cloak of Fear does bring utility (to both me and the team)

• Up to 10 nearby enemies are having their ToHit debuffed. (The Fear portion is not nothing, but without stacking it strikes me as somewhat "meh")
  • Up to 10 nearby enemies are being notified that the Tank is there, doing something... and maybe the Tank deserves some attention.

For the former: The effect of ToHit debuffs are difficult to assess... but having used Seeker Drones, I can tell that it ain't nothing!

For the latter: OMG this would be a terrible way to try to manage aggro... but running through some enemies, possibly giving them a tick of -ToHit, to get the Tanker to another spot from which to start doing real Tanker aggro management is a little useful.

I'm not advocating that everyone should take it. As a point of discussion, I think that every power that is a toggle should get serious consideration if it pays dividends. I've built and played enough min-max characters that I am comfortable making build choices that other players may consider inferior.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tidge said:

I suspect that @Snarky wants Cloak of Fear primarily for thematic reasons. I have a Dark Armor Scrapper that also chose it, but for theme.

For the Tanker, I think Cloak of Fear does bring utility (to both me and the team)

• Up to 10 nearby enemies are having their ToHit debuffed. (The Fear portion is not nothing, but without stacking it strikes me as somewhat "meh")
  • Up to 10 nearby enemies are being notified that the Tank is there, doing something... and maybe the Tank deserves some attention.

For the former: The effect of ToHit debuffs are difficult to assess... but having used Seeker Drones, I can tell that it ain't nothing!

For the latter: OMG this would be a terrible way to try to manage aggro... but running through some enemies, possibly giving them a tick of -ToHit, to get the Tanker to another spot from which to start doing real Tanker aggro management is a little useful.

I'm not advocating that everyone should take it. As a point of discussion, I think that every power that is a toggle should get serious consideration if it pays dividends. I've built and played enough min-max characters that I am comfortable making build choices that other players may consider inferior.

Play how you want.  I also, like tidge, do not advocate everyone take it.

Without stacking... hmmm.  Well, Dark Melee is a PBAoE with mag 3 fear and a 30% chance of +1 mag fear.  So, maybe stack it with that?

People who should use Cloak of Fear) Everyone who wants to maximize the "faux defense" (Stealth, Stun, Fear, tohit debuff) of Dark Armor

People who should not use Cloak of Fear) who gives a crap

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My Dark Armor Scrapper stacks Cloak of Fear with Intimidate and/or Invoke Panic, because that is its concept. It's not improving critter defeat times but I get a laugh from it.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Snarky said:

Well, Dark Melee is a PBAoE with mag 3 fear and a 30% chance of +1 mag fear

If you're talking about Touch of Fear, the Fear and -Tohit only affect your target. The splash damage is independently rolled.

• Thanks 1

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

4 minutes ago, Spaghetti Betty said:

If you're talking about Touch of Fear, the Fear and -Tohit only affect your target. The splash damage is independently rolled.

I was wondering about that.  Thank you.  Between the power evolutions and the initial poor descriptions it is a mess in there lol.  Even so a mag 5/6 Fear is (Cloak of Fear + Touch of Fear) is starting to get serious even for a boss.  

Everyone seems to miss the point no matter how much I say it.  (Then builds up Def on Dark. "O I winz!)  Dark has no defense debuff res,  In a hard fight it is gone.  Dark depends on a LAYERED mitigation strategy for lesser being and high resist best heal for bosses, AV/GM.  Sure, you can run without it.  You can also drive your car and never change the oil.  You do you.   

17 minutes ago, Snarky said:

Everyone seems to miss the point no matter how much I say it.  (Then builds up Def on Dark. "O I winz!)  Dark has no defense debuff res,  In a hard fight it is gone.  Dark depends on a LAYERED mitigation strategy for lesser being and high resist best heal for bosses, AV/GM.  Sure, you can run without it.  You can also drive your car and never change the oil.  You do you.   

Layered mitigation in this case would be having 90% RES to nearly everything and the undisputed best self heal in the game, instead of wasting vital picks on silly things like maybe fearing 2 out of every 16 mobs! But you do you!

• Like 2

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

5 minutes ago, Spaghetti Betty said:

Layered mitigation in this case would be having 90% RES to nearly everything and the undisputed best self heal in the game, instead of wasting vital picks on silly things like maybe fearing 2 out of every 16 mobs! But you do you!

but i have 90% res to everything but energy (76% before Hybrid Melee, Rune of Prot, or a sm orange...)  Brst heal, check.  Spinning rims, etc are the other 4 types of damage mitigation.  Stealth, Stun, Fear, to hit debuffs.  I mean. you can just build a castle wall.  Or, you can put the castle on a hill, behind water, with giant rocks slowing infantry/wagons, and put murder holes above the wall.  I like to add the little extras.  I do this shit for the love of the game.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Snarky said:

but i have 90% res to everything but energy (76% before Hybrid Melee, Rune of Prot, or a sm orange...)  Brst heal, check.  Spinning rims, etc are the other 4 types of damage mitigation.  Stealth, Stun, Fear, to hit debuffs.  I mean. you can just build a castle wall.  Or, you can put the castle on a hill, behind water, with giant rocks slowing infantry/wagons, and put murder holes above the wall.  I like to add the little extras.  I do this shit for the love of the game.

If the invaders are throwing stones at a titanium wall, shouldn't you instead invest the extra resources in a couple of ICBMs?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Spaghetti Betty said:

If the invaders are throwing stones at a titanium wall, shouldn't you instead invest the extra resources in a couple of ICBMs?

Never worried about the invaders with sticks and stones.  Always looking to mitigate the guy with a sneak attack that snuck in with them.  Sure, hes not a boss. But he has that “one special trick”.  So, 1st he cant see me (non suppressed stealth) then i wander over and “oh look, you are just a minion and now stunned and/or terrified and aim is off”.  Then i let my pbaoe eat minions like a ghetto farmer while i coordinate boss dance and look to next group…

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Snarky said:

I was wondering about that.  Thank you.  Between the power evolutions and the initial poor descriptions it is a mess in there lol.  Even so a mag 5/6 Fear is (Cloak of Fear + Touch of Fear) is starting to get serious even for a boss.  

As @Spaghetti Betty pointed out that Touch of Fear is only ST for its Terrorize and -ToHit, I have to point out that Cloak of Fear is Base Accuracy 0.67, PBAoE Radius 8ft, Max Targets 10, Mag 2 Terrorize and -5% ToHit (before the Purple Patch has its wicked way with it).  Without a lot of attraction, you'll be lucky to have 10 targets in the AoE.  And you're going to need a lot of Global +ToHit and +Acc (more than any other Power needs) as well as ED-capped slotted Acc to get that chance-to-hit decent.  And then it's still just a Mag 2 Terrorize and -5% ToHit.  I did a lot of research and calculations when figuring out what Pets needed to get to 95% final chance-to-hit (because the vast majority of Pets don't benefit from the Toon's build's Global buffs, just the Slotting, and some don't even get the benefit of Tactics), but at least it was rare to find Pet Powers with lower than Base Accuracy 1.0.

As it is now, Cloak of Fear is a bad Power that demands too much in slotting and too much from the build to deliver less-than-meh results.  Taking it means there's another Toon with Dark Armor that takes Cloak of Fear and thus makes the usage stats for that Power look far better than the Power actually is.  Every Toon with Dark Armor without Cloak of Fear is another small step in moving the stats--that the Devs check--in the direction that shouts "Cloak of Fear is bad!  A must-skip!"  Maybe starting things on the way to perhaps someday it being buffed to better than less-than-meh.

6 hours ago, Snarky said:

This is true, a layering of Defense, Resists, and Heals/other Heal-like-things.  It's been true ever since ArcanaVille did a review of the original 4 Scrapper Protection Powersets (Dark Armor, Invulnerability, Regeneration, Super Reflexes) a long time ago when the Earth was green.  It's actually true for all Protection Powersets.  Dark Armor just did it better earlier.

https://web.archive.org/web/20120905195532/http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?t=115310

Edited by Jacke
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Moose 1