There needs to be a leaver penalty

It happened yesterday on a Synapse TF one player quit didn't say anything. The team noticed and a mission or two later someone said something about it, then the team collectively shrugged and kept moving along to the end. All this whining is a waste of time nobody should get a penalty focus on what you got and keep going.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

The difference between an 8 player and 7 player TF is marginal.

Have we forgotten people can literally just alt to an infinite number of free accounts to play something else if there even were a penalty?

This whole thread seems like a rage at the wall.

Everyone's focusing on the penalty part of the OP.  But in reality that's already covered.  If you leave before the missions over, you don't get the mission completion bonus.  

However,  I do agree with the sentiment of the OP in that you should say something before dropping.  Just to be polite.  Furthermore, say hello when joining a team.  And while you're at it maybe try making at least other socially acceptable comment in each mission.  Then respond to 2 other peoples' comments with an "LoL" or a "good one."  Look at you now.  You're already interacting with people who share a common interest.  You keep this up and before you know it, you might find yourself with some decent friends.  

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

2 hours ago, Shred Monkey said:

you should say something before dropping.

"Hey, just wanted to let you know I'm going to lose connection in 92 seconds.  Circle up, let's sing Kumbaya and have a group hug before I disappear."

• Haha 2

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

5 hours ago, Shred Monkey said:

Then respond to 2 other peoples' comments with an "LoL" or a "good one."

LOL.  Good one.   🙂

• Thumbs Up 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

4 hours ago, Luminara said:

"Hey, just wanted to let you know I'm going to lose connection in 92 seconds.  Circle up, let's sing Kumbaya and have a group hug before I disappear."

On 5/11/2024 at 12:40 AM, Living Brain 3000 said:

unpopular opinion there needs to be a leaver penalty for people dropping in and out of leagues/teams.

No, we don't.  You'd be penalizing players for not sticking with a poorly run team.  Just the other day, I joined a Posi 1 TF that was advertised as a speed run.  The team organizer - who was only level 8 - refused to pass the star over to someone higher level, then decided to set the difficulty to +4 and refused to lower it.  Several people quit the TF as it wasn't what was advertised.  Your proposal would penalize them for that. 

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Excraft said:

No, we don't.  You'd be penalizing players for not sticking with a poorly run team.  Just the other day, I joined a Posi 1 TF that was advertised as a speed run.  The team organizer - who was only level 8 - refused to pass the star over to someone higher level, then decided to set the difficulty to +4 and refused to lower it.  Several people quit the TF as it wasn't what was advertised.  Your proposal would penalize them for that. 

That sounds like all kinds of nightmare.

I feel like I can easily adapt whenever a PUGorganizer advertises speed/non-speed, but the one common advertisement that always confuses me is "Kill Most". I've been on many "KM TF" that we didn't even fight half the critters on any given map. I'd like to point to the spot on the TF doll where the leader threatened to kick me for drawing more aggro that we were otherwise ignoring.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I had some time to think about this and came to a conclusion.

Can punishment be a two way street?  voting to kick for example

A leader afking or not being a good leader

Someone with too much knockback/repel

Someone using fold space/wormhole poorly

And when kicked it applies all the punishment ideas the OP had in place.

its only fair to give power to all

• Thumbs Down 1

On 5/11/2024 at 5:21 AM, PhotriusPyrelus said:

No thanks.  Go back to WoW.

If you have such a hard-on for punishing people for perceived slights, then *you* "punish" them by never grouping with them again.  Frankly, I would consider such punishment a blessing.

You said it all. 

On 5/12/2024 at 1:41 PM, BlackSpectre said:

The best advice I can give is be completely upfront about how long it will take to complete the task force/trial when you are recruiting. Also let them know that without them the entire team will not be able to complete the task force/trial so you're depending on them to stay. Veterans know how long they take, but newbies don't. 

Perfect advice.

Posted (edited)
On 5/25/2024 at 6:28 AM, kelika2 said:

I had some time to think about this and came to a conclusion.

Can punishment be a two way street?  voting to kick for example

A leader afking or not being a good leader

Someone with too much knockback/repel

Someone using fold space/wormhole poorly

And when kicked it applies all the punishment ideas the OP had in place.

its only fair to give power to all

This vote kick system has been often abused in other games, especially by infantile, immature people.  It just leads to more issues.

As said before, if you or someone else thinks that either the leader, or an individual on a team is bad, simply global ignore them. Over the years this helps to self marginalize people who are prone to causing trouble.  A counter then may be by some that their ignore list will become too big.  To that I'd say, then likely the problem isnt with those overall being ignored (especially with this small community) but with the person doing the ignoring who may be exemplifying misanthropic tendencies.

Edited by Sanguinesun
  • Thumbs Up 3

21 minutes ago, Sanguinesun said:

This vote kick system has been often abused in other games, especially by infantile, immature people.  It just leads to more issues.

As said before, if you or someone else thinks that either the leader, or an individual on a team is bad, simply global ignore them. Over the years this helps to self marginalize people who are prone to causing trouble.  A counter then may be by some that their ignore list will become too big.  To that I'd say, then likely the problem isnt with those overall being ignored (especially with this small community) but with the person doing the ignoring who may be exemplifying misanthropic tendencies.

No, now I want power.

The more I think about this, the more I realize it's dumb. 

We really want the game to enforce penalties on player actions?  Not abusive players, just ones that annoy us?

• Thumbs Up 2

43 minutes ago, Haijinx said:

The more I think about this, the more I realize it's dumb. 

We really want the game to enforce penalties on player actions?  Not abusive players, just ones that annoy us?

Fear the ones that blend in with the light.

Common red flags that do not appear as red flags:

"Community"

"Dev time/volunteer time"

"Think about others" (used for everything)

"1000 character slots just be yourself"

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

It's sad that this thread is still going

I think there should be a penalty for anyone continuing this thread………..errr

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/16/2024 at 1:14 PM, Digirium said:

It happened yesterday on a Synapse TF one player quit didn't say anything. The team noticed and a mission or two later someone said something about it, then the team collectively shrugged and kept moving along to the end. All this whining is a waste of time nobody should get a penalty focus on what you got and keep going.

That was very likely me. Router went kapow.

Edited by Ejlertson

Before you post or reply to anything online allways remember Wheaton´s Law!

9 hours ago, kelika2 said:

Fear the ones that blend in with the light.

Common red flags that do not appear as red flags:

"Community"

"Dev time/volunteer time"

"Think about others" (used for everything)

"1000 character slots just be yourself"

Huh?

• Thanks 3