Project Spelunker

_NOPE_

Trying to join in myself... hope I'm not too late to the party. Unzipping the archive now, still seeding the torrent.

You can get stuff prepped if you want, but don't bother with the Parser right now, it's on hold until I find better hosting.

I'm out.

I of course wouldn't be against that... but it seems they already have so much on their plate already.

Again, i’m assuming you would handle the details for most of it and let them be hands off. It’s not like the old forums will need to be moderated...

But this seems like something the community would support.

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

I have a system that should be able to host the parsing - I think, but I would not be able to host a web site once it goes online.

I have -or am supposed to have- 980 down and 40 up.

As you say, the parsing is just one small part of it. I would like to see the old forums hosted with the new, just cleaner and easier that way. If you pay for bandwidth are you prepared to have up to 100k users doing searches in a given week/day?

Is there a HC Dev available to give us input please? I've read you are looking for new forum software, could the old stuff be set read only and incorporated with the new build? Wouldn't even need an additional server or anything except maybe a bigger HD.

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **

** Corsair Voyager a1600 **

Trying to join in myself... hope I'm not too late to the party. Unzipping the archive now, still seeding the torrent.

You can get stuff prepped if you want, but don't bother with the Parser right now, it's on hold until I find better hosting.

Copy that, I'll take the 2+ hours to unpack and 1TB of data from my storage once we're back up and running.

Death is the best debuff.

Since the HC team is super busy, either with the server and/or real life stuff, and I can't seem to reach them... I just decided to bite the bullet and just start things moving. I've filed registration of a new LLC in my state, paid the fees, and I've constructed a Patreon, though I haven't published it yet. I'm waiting to hear back about the LLC filing to ensure that I'm covered. After that, I'll publish the Patreon, and we'll see what happens after that.

I'm out.

I had another thought....

What If - you focused on building an index for searches and linked to the way back machine for viewing the post?

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **

I had thought about that, but it wouldn't make a difference with my current host. I have unlimited disk space, but the shared server's CPU/memory can't handle the sheer NUMBER of rows of data that were trying to index. It's overloading it. So we need a dedicated server regardless, because it's not about disk space and hosting the HTML, the limitation is in the operating specs.

I'm out.

Okay, after speaking privately with HC members, I've decided to go ahead and run this thing independently.

So here's the Patreon, if you wish to support this effort:

http://www.cityofplayers.com/2019/07/04/please-support-city-of-players/

If I don't make my goal, then I'll consider this project shuttered, as I won't be able to justify the monthly expense of a server to my wife. los3Hmo.gif So, it's now up to you as a community to decide if you want this or not. If I raise funds, and I don't meet my goal, those funds will be sent directly to the Child's Play charity.

City of Players, LLC is now officially registered in the State of Wisconsin, USA.

I'm out.

Is this a one time thing? Or an ongoing cost?

What kind of goal are we looking at?

Anyone knows a good web host that provides:

• ASP.NET
  • MySQL Databases > 200GB in size
  • Isn't super expensive? (hoping for $50 a month or less

I can't seem to find all of these things. Either my search-fu is weak, or such a thing doesn't exist.

Is it possible to host the db separately? Dreamhost.com's shared hosting is super-cheap (and even cheaper if you can pay by the year) and they support "unlimited mysql databases" but they don't support ASP.net at all.

Just took a glance and something stabbed me in the brain...are you using the old fair use images from that package they used to give out for fan sites? If not, I'd look for them to avoid issues.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

Is it possible to host the db separately? Dreamhost.com's shared hosting is super-cheap (and even cheaper if you can pay by the year) and they support "unlimited mysql databases" but they don't support ASP.net at all.

Sure, I'd have no problem with that. However, any "free" db host would have the same issue as my current host, especially a shared host. Unlimited doesn't really MEAN unlimited - it's limited by the capabilities of a shared server, meaning that you have to share space and resources with others. Therefore, things are throttled and don't work as they would on a dedicated server. It's been the experience of this project so far, that a dedicated server is now necessary, due to the sheer amount of data. A free host wouldn't cut it anymore.

I'm out.

Just took a glance and something stabbed me in the brain...are you using the old fair use images from that package they used to give out for fan sites? If not, I'd look for them to avoid issues.

If I receive a C&D, then of course I'll replace images. I'm not going to do that though until I receive one. As this is a non-profit project, I'm not worried about any legal issues.

I'm out.

Well, I'll do whatever it takes to keep this project afloat, and I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try, though I'm doubtful. What do you think is the best way to reach a guy like him is?

Since this is related to a non-Server specific task, then Titan may in-fact be willing to work with it. What they Don't want to do is be aligned with any one server if for no other reason than keeping separate / fair / self-preservation.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Well, I'll do whatever it takes to keep this project afloat, and I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try, though I'm doubtful. What do you think is the best way to reach a guy like him is?

Since this is related to a non-Server specific task, then Titan may in-fact be willing to work with it. What they Don't want to do is be aligned with any one server if for no other reason than keeping separate / fair / self-preservation.

This is certainly beneficial to all servers.

Maybe, but it looks like it's something that almost nobody wants, if you look at the lack of Patreon response. Homecoming wants to remain hands off, and....

I also did post on the Titan Network forums about two days ago, and got something 43 views, no response. Not very encouraging.

https://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php?topic=13560.0

It looks like the only ones that want this are those that have posted here and already contributed processing time. It's a bit disheartening.

I'm out.

Maybe, but it looks like it's something that almost nobody wants, if you look at the lack of Patreon response. Homecoming wants to remain hands off, and....

I don't think people quite understand what this is really. They're like "ok, it's the old forums", when in fact it's all the old archives of builds, tips, tricks, and such. Most of which will still be valid on any server. Does it have limited value? Eh, no less than the Paragon Wiki as each server eventually splinters.