What to roll?

Papaschtroumpf

I played a lot of controllers back on Live. My fire/kin was my first 50, I also had an ill/rad, a fire storm (so much fun) and while those were awesome I don't know that I want to repeat them.

I just refilled my fire/dark corruptor as a fire/time so I think don't want the /time secondary again as good as it seems to be.

I also gave a plant dominator so i think it's out for a controller.

I remember not liking my stone controller but can't quite remember why. Not enough damage?

I just tried Elec control and it feels meh although I don't take it to 32 yet.

What are great new combos with fun control and lots of damage? I love fire/storm because of its frantic pace yet how carefully you had to be, especially in a team, to play well with others.

If I reroll my dominator, what goes well with plants on a controller?

Dark/Storm? Dark/Dark? Animal/Nature? What's the best of the newer secondaries?

If you can get a group to play with you regularly, have everyone go Fire/Rad.

EVERYBODY should experience the awesome power of a Fire/Rad mobile Death Patch at least ONCE in their lives.

AV: I shall kill y*COUGH*WHEEZE*

Fire/Rad1: Look out for the

AV: *SIZZLE*THUD*

Fire/Rad1: AV....

Fire/Rads2-7: What AV?

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

Ill/Cold is great for soloing pretty much anything if you are ok with spending a lot of inf on it. I'm running one that can demonstrably solo Lusca and ITF.

Torchbearer:

Sunsinger - Fire/Time Corruptor

Cursebreaker - TW/Elec Brute

Coldheart - Ill/Cold Controller

Mythoclast - Rad/SD Scrapper

Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

Ok let's organize the no list.

No Primaries:

Fire (/kin)

Illusion (/rad)

Plant (maybe not?)

Electric

No Secondaries

/Time

Ok so you sound wishy-washy on Plant. It wasn't working for you as a Dom but you sound interested in doing a plant controller. If you want a team friendly build you could go /nature affinity which is one of those secondaries that insists its a primary even when its a secondary. It's pretty healy but it has buffs. You get to skip the weaksauce Spirit Tree for a healing beacon that's like 20x better (Lifegiving Spores). If you want a weird combination that will probably be terrifyingly effective, consider Plant/Traps. You get to confuse the crowd, run in andd drop trip mines and timebombs then run out and watch explosions happen. You could make the theme around being a booby-trapped jungle tbh.

Earth control is considered very low damage and it has kind of a passive feel to it. Usually people counter that by going very active with secondaries like rad. But I've been thinking it would also stack pretty nicely with Dark Affinity. You get to slap Tar Patch down on top of Quicksand to lower both defense and resistance and if you can drop earthquake or volcanic gasses on top too well, that's just evil. You can then run in with your team and fire off Soul Absorption. You'd also get a Dark Servant so you'd have both a tanky stone controller pet and a mini dark defender pet.

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

Thanks all, looks like I have tried all the best sets already because they were on. I remember my plants/trick arrow too now and it was decent even before I got into IO sets and soloed well if I remember right

I may still roll a Dark just because I've never tried it. Maybe Dark/Storm because obenjouvthe busy gameplay of storm and with IOs it should be easy to cap both rang and AoE defense. I'll look at the sets closer in Mids.

Thanks again for all the input. Fire/rad is fun I also ran that one back in the day, but since I'm currently working on an ice/rad corruptor AV killer I will delay rad on a controller.

I might also roll a Plant/Ill at some point.

If I weren't big on not duplicating powersets, I'd probably do Plant/Dark Controller. Already got a Plant/MA Dom, and an Elec/Dark controller so I honestly just won't do it. But I like the idea of a frontline controller, with a slight bit more damage than Elec/Dark, that can buff and keep the party alive and not really have to worry about dying often.

Just my two cents, you seem to not want Plant so much, but that's where I'd take it.

Flat out.  Ice is empirically bad as a set.  I've played Ice with a couple of characters and it just lacks compared to the other primaries.

It has three things going for it:

1) Massive -Rech and Slow

2) A flop power in Ice Slick

3) A PBAOE confuse

For #1, while it is the king of those, there are plenty of other sets that have more than enough.  Ice has so much -Rech  and Slow that you often cap a mob with just one power, making the rest redundant. 

For #2, of the flop powers, it is now the worst. 

Bonfire - With the proc now does just as good of flop and also has good damage

Freezing Rain - Has -RES, -DEF and recharges faster all of which beat the -slow

Earthquake - With the proc, has -ToHit and -DEF

For me, all three of the patch fall powers are better than Ice's signature move.

For #3, it's a decent power, but overshadowed by plant's seeds of confusion.

The rest of the set lacks damage and has a pet that's uninspiring.  Ice on live used to be good when PPM's weren't in there because you had so many Proc opportunities that you could get some substantial AOE damage out of procing all the powers to the max.  PPM kills that strategy and putting them in some of the AOE powers doesn't net the same boost in damage that it used too.

It's a shame, I loved my Ice/Storm controller, but for now they are shelved until things change again.

I am because I want to try something different, not because I think they are bad. I rolled a Dark/storm, we'll see how that goes. I'm level 8 or 9 in the Hollows right now. Did mostly solo work and so far not too bad, a bit slow going like most early controllers, but I like the confuse as a mitigation tool.

dark/storm has some nice synergy and offers a ton of -tohit from moderate range. Fearsome cone and then start herdicannng.  And has two pbaoe stuns if you like that sort of thing.

single target damage is very high (by any AT's standards) if you strive for it. But comes very late. Benefits from lots of +rech and needs to sort out endurance issues (common to most storms) and personal survival as you can pull heaps of aggro. Similar to the fire/storm you once had (which i also enjoyed myself), but with more synergy. I personally prefer storm on a MM as it allows me to dedicate more of my time to storming.

grav/traps has unreal synergy as well and offers a play experience unlike anything i've run with to date. i've run traps up to 50 with a fire/traps corr and a traps/son defender, but this character just meshes together so well. traps really  benefits from the new powexec_location binds to smooth out its play (storm does too). Wormhole with the new mechanics and the knockdown proc is one of the most unique powers in the game and used creatively helps traps play well on faster moving teams.