Manticore, richest man in Paragon, sucker for art forgeries...

I was just passing through Manticore's mansion, on a secret mission, when I noticed that he had two identical paintings by Claude Monet in his Lawyer Foyer. Except, one was just a mirror image of the other.

ย 

image.png.6dad070d753377698cf24d9d73bd8a5c.png

ย 

This one...

ย 

image.thumb.jpeg.9e0b0ae7d138c9b4980a97796d0cde64.jpeg

ย 

It's called "Le Parlement, coucher de soleil." Londres. (Parliment, sunset. London). Part of a series of 19 paintings, painted by Monet, of the Parliment building.ย  There is another, similar, but the two towers in the center are less distinct there.

ย 

"Mmmmhmmm..." I said! "How gauche!" and clucked my tongue!

ย 

Imagine my surprise when I mounted the stairs and was confronted by two more!

ย 

image.thumb.png.9d077f4a3d6181692cd118b0425d1aae.png

ย 

I mean come on! Who ya foolin, Manti? It may be a mansion, you may be the richest man in Paragon, but you're a sucker for having blatantly fake art in your McMansion. I stopped admiring the art after that... More influence than sense! Proof that money can buy you a lot of things, but it cannot buy you culture. At least you should have hired someone with a bit of good taste! ๐Ÿ˜„

ย 

Manticore, my estimation of you has dropped from the level of whale poo at the bottom of the sea to the limbo bar in the lowest circle of hell. I will see this from now on every time I sneak into your mansion, and be reminded that you are a cheapskate as well as a jerkface. ๐Ÿ˜›

ย 

• Haha 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

"I'm not crazy, my reality is just different than yours" the Cheshire Cat

"Ce n'est rien de mourir; c'est affreux de ne pas vivre"

(It's nothing to die, it's terrible not to live) Jean Valjean

"ูˆุทู† ุงู„ู…ุฑุก ู„ูŠุณ ู…ูƒุงู† ูˆู„ุงุฏุชู‡ ูˆ ู„ูƒู†ู‡ ุงู„ู…ูƒุงู† ุงู„ุฐูŠ ุชู†ุชู‡ูŠ ููŠู‡ ูƒู„ ู…ุญุงูˆู„ุงุชู‡ ู„ู„ู‡ุฑูˆุจโ€

(Home is not where you were born, home is where all your attempts to escape cease.) Naguib Mahfouz

Unless they're originals from various alternate Earths.ย 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Microphone 3
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior

The real painting is "hidden within plain sight" - He's already a high-profile (and high-risk) target, why not make things that much more interesting for art thieves?

Besides, it's also simply possible he really likes what that particular painting does to the aesthetics, and doesn't care that most (or all) are forged.

• Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

This is a little known story among art historions about a brilliant forger who created a copy based on a photograph taken using a selfie camera with the mirror image turned on.ย  Truly a masterpiece work made by a complete idiot.

• Banjo 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

ย 

Well, at least it's not soup cans.ย  Imagine seeing "Campbell's" written backwards.

ย 

Considering there are art galleries that specialize in displaying forgeries, I'd say Manticore's eccentricity is not so far out.ย  Now having them all near each other is rather odd, unless he's deliberately inviting a study in comparison/contrasts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

On 7/2/2024 at 9:03 PM, Skyhawke said:

Unless they're originals from various alternate Earths.ย 

that makes things even worse! looting alternate earths of their priceless art, which renders the one in his reality meaningless because it is like have a replicator. oh and i went back and found that he had a total of 8 of the same. therefore 4 from similar earths, and 4 from evil twin earths, one would presume.

"I'm not crazy, my reality is just different than yours" the Cheshire Cat

"Ce n'est rien de mourir; c'est affreux de ne pas vivre"

(It's nothing to die, it's terrible not to live) Jean Valjean

"ูˆุทู† ุงู„ู…ุฑุก ู„ูŠุณ ู…ูƒุงู† ูˆู„ุงุฏุชู‡ ูˆ ู„ูƒู†ู‡ ุงู„ู…ูƒุงู† ุงู„ุฐูŠ ุชู†ุชู‡ูŠ ููŠู‡ ูƒู„ ู…ุญุงูˆู„ุงุชู‡ ู„ู„ู‡ุฑูˆุจโ€

(Home is not where you were born, home is where all your attempts to escape cease.) Naguib Mahfouz

On 7/4/2024 at 5:02 PM, Forager said:

Dude is just a sucker, period. I can't stand that guy.

Pointy sticks aren't powers ๐Ÿ™‚

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

ย 

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, High Beam Primeย (someone else has her non OG name)