The Calendar and Events feature on the website has been disabled ×

Best Defender to support Endgame Farming

bcommander

38 minutes ago, bcommander said:

Looking to make a farming defender to support... I'm really pretty open to different archetypes. Just trying to find the best combo's out there to narrow it down!

Sad to say, most farmer's are melee dmg output characters and don't really NEED a defender for support. That said I would choose a Rad/* or a Trick Arrow defender for big AOE debuffs including -regen, and -dmg.

• Thumbs Up 1

Any competent farmer has Def, Res, and heals covered. What they want is even more Recharge and being Damage capped so they don't have to chug and convert Inspirs to reds. A Kin is so far ahead of any other support the only other powerset needed to support it starts after a Kin is already involved and that's sets with -Res debuffs. In terms of AT, Defenders have the best stats for Kin, but Corrs and Controllers are essentially close enough. One difference is Kin/sonic has the best -Res debuff. Now, I don't know enough on numbers to know if a Fire/kin Corr or Controller would be better due to their damage output, but I think it would partly depend on the number of Supers actively fighting.

If there already is a Kin involved, a good option is TA/sonic. Safe support from a distance and a Fire Farmer lights Oil Slick to a default.

In the history of the game, there has been call outs for three types of support:

'Healers' although that feels a bit on the yesteryear side lately and vastly due to the myth that CoH succumbs to the Holy Trinity trope when it doesn't,

Kins for farms mostly but cranking out missions in short order is always welcomed. I remember doing long TFs on Live and people happy I had my Kin or people hoping we could get one.

Debuffs/-regen because someone needs an AV killed.  

I'm not saying other support aspects aren't welcomed or appreciated. I just haven't seen calls out in channels for them.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Emma Strange: Ill/dark Controller. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Hesitation: Claws/sr Scrapper. 8. Within Reach: Axe/stone Brute. 9. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute.  10. Chasing Fireworks: Fire/time Controller. 

"Downtime is for mortals. Debt is temporary. Fame is forever."

Just spitballing here, but I think a controller with aoe immobilize would *not* be wanted because the farmer wants mobs to move with them.

• Like 1

What this team needs is more Defenders

• 3 weeks later

If the defender is just going to be on autofollow, say on a second account, one option I could suggest is a Traps defender.  You can put Acid Mortar on autocast, and it will keep dropping and firing off at mobs.  The advantage is that the Mortar takes the aggro, not the defender, and it is pretty tough, plus if you get enough recharge going you can double stack them at least part of the time for double the -resist (each Mortar counts as a separate "caster").  Toggle back to that account every couple of minutes to recast FF Generator and Hasten, and you are good to go.  

• 3 weeks later

I'm partial to an empath because I find the Adrenalin Boost (AB) +recharge to be great. The +regen and +recovery don't hurt either, but not fully needed. When farming actively (instead of automatically) I use a fire/fire/fire blaster and AB.

There really isn't much you can do to 'support' a farm build. They've already got all the defenses they need and they're normally running about halfway to the damage cap. So you might as well just bring another farmer rather than trying to buff the farmer you already have.

A rare few of us use RP and/or generic builds for farming, because we don't want to make dedicated farming builds.  For mediocre farmers such as myself, I always appreciate heals and endurance buffs to keep me chugging along.

But as others have noted above, a truly well-built farmer will not need this kind of support and, unlike myself, most folks probably have built dedicated farming toons.

• 3 weeks later

I would say a Fire/Kin Corrupter. Though the main farmer may be capped, they will always apprecitate Fulcrum and Speed Boost. Plus the rest of the hitters they may bring a long will DEFINETLY appreciate it. Other than that, maybe Poison for debuffs.

Edited by golstat2003